• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sooo.. that "rape joke" during the Killer Instinct demo [Microsoft apologizes]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I'm a fairly PC guy (meaning: respectful) but that phrase isn't really associated with rape IMO

EDIT: Or maybe I'm wrong. I associate it entirely with a trip to the doctor.

TheOGB

Banned
If he instead said "you are so dead" would people be interpreting that as a death threat? This is just ridiculous.
That's always the part I don't understand with our culture and language; no one has ever, ever had a problem with murder being used in any context whatsoever outside of a literal death threat. Despite murder being a completely horrific, monstrous thing, people always easily recognize the context and don't throw fits when someone says they are going to "murder" someone in terms of competition and whatnot.
Well, murder is very clearly defined and identified, so obviously if someone does it they're in trouble; rape, on the other hand...

FartOfWar

Banned
So we ran into the lady who was onstage for this and I asked her point blank about it (she was having a smoke behind the staples center)

She told us the banter was completely unscripted, she is friends with the producer she played and it was completely unintentional. They didn't realize the controversy until later that day, and she kept saying there was no undertones or anything intentional in what either of them said. She also mentioned that they had issued an apology the next day.

Anyway, food for thought.

For god's sake. You and your patriarchal pals actually cornered the woman in a literal alley to wring this false confession from her?

J-Rock

Banned
Well, murder is very clearly defined and identified, so obviously if someone does it they're in trouble; rape, on the other hand...

Murder isn't as clearly defined as you might want to believe. Jack Kevorkian. Pro-life. Plenty of room for debate.

Shoyz

While I still have no idea how some people can't draw the (imo: blatant) connection that line has to rape, it's really sad that people /can/ yet think it doesn't matter what you say because trash talk is fair game in competitive games.

Time and a place: E3 presentation is neither.

kvothe

That's always the part I don't understand with our culture and language; no one has ever, ever had a problem with murder being used in any context whatsoever outside of a literal death threat. Despite murder being a completely horrific, monstrous thing, people always easily recognize the context and don't throw fits when someone says they are going to "murder" someone in terms of competition and whatnot.

Murder is not tied to a much larger, socio-structural ideology of sexism and patriarchy. Rape is.

stufte

I don't think she'd have to be particularly dense. The point is that the expression, while you may not find it offensive, has direct connotations to rape.

That being said, I am surprised we're still talking about this. Yeah, poor choice of words, but at this point that's all.

NO. IT. DOES. NOT.

Jesus, it has more of a direct relation to euthanization *if anything*

ryanthelion123

Neo Member
Im highly dissappointed this is even a conversation.

That commonly used joke as no ties with rape. If you are killing someone in bball and you want to talk so friendly smack you could say those exact words.

I cant tell if some people are socially slow or trying to make something out of nothing.

Wazzy

Banned
Im highly dissappointed this is even a conversation.

That commonly used joke as no ties with rape. If you are killing someone in bball and you want to talk so friendly smack you could say those exact words.

I cant tell if some people are socially slow or trying to make something out of nothing.
Go look it up on google right now and come back and tell me if you still think it has no connection with rape.

Mzo

It's more about getting through something bad, like the example someone gave of a visit to the doctor or the dentist.

Associating this with rape says more about the person making that association than the guy that said it.

stufte

Go look it up on google right now and come back and tell me if you still think it has no connection with rape.

So I looked it up (the exact phrasing used by the producer) on google, and all I found was links back to the manufactured outrage at the story we're all talking about. Oh and one WoW post about some purple monster... thing. Would you mind letting us all know what google search you're doing? Because googling what he said is giving me nothing.

antitrop

ryanthelion123

Neo Member

I guess socially slow is the answer. Who uses google to determine what expressions or jokes mean? Im goin off my whole life and how term has been applied.

Also, be aware sayings can take on new meanings.

I know there this a lot of MS hate right now and you guys are getting off to every inkling of bad press for them. But you need to relax, why would MS even think of making a rape joke during a conference.

It's more about getting through something bad, like the example someone gave of a visit to the doctor or the dentist.

Associating this with rape says more about the person making that association than the guy that said it.

If you think we're the only ones who associate it with rape you would be wrong.

..Did everyone here go to the dentist in the 1950s or something? Sounds like something out of an episode of Mad Men. Extremely unprofessional and creepy to boot.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.

There's a ton of shit you can't equate to that.. it's context... there was nothing relating to rape in what happened in that video.

Also, I love how people misquote what he said later on to try to prove he was meaning it that way.

This is the definition of creating controversy when there was none.

I've used that very phrase to friends when talking smack.. for as far back as I can remember... or variations of it.. never once was it meant to be sexual.

BTW, that doesn't exactly prove your point. Doesn't prove at all that the only meaning is rape at all.

Kazerei

Banned
So I looked it up (the exact phrasing used by the producer) on google, and all I found was links back to the manufactured outrage at the story we're all talking about. Oh and one WoW post about some purple monster... thing. Would you mind letting us all know what google search you're doing? Because googling what he said is giving me nothing.

eKVd05L.png

antitrop

I guess socially slow is the answer. Who uses google to determine what expressions or jokes mean? Im goin off my whole life and how term has been applied.

Also, be aware sayings can take on new meanings.

I know there this a lot of MS hate right now and you guys are getting off to every inkling of bad press for them. But you need to relax, why would MS even think of making a rape joke during a conference.
Nobody I've seen thinks they made the joke with intentional connotations to rape, merely that the phrase does in fact have certain connotations to rape.

Only the OP.

I believe the common opinion amongst those who were slightly put off by the use of the phrase know that it was unintentional.

soulx

Banned
Only on Neogaf is there a 21 page thread over whether a simple remark to an opponent with no direct references to rape (don't worry it'll be over soon) is a rape joke. Even in the unlikely scenario that it is, it isn't that big of a deal. It's called trash-talk, not something said with malice.

ryanthelion123

Neo Member
Nobody I've seen thinks they made the joke with intentional connotations to rape, merely that the phrase does in fact have certain connotations to rape.

Only the OP.

I believe the common opinion amongst those who were slightly put off by the use of the phrase know that it was unintentional.

So what's wrong with that. Never can use a clean joke because of its root. PC PC PC

FireVoa

Was this rape joke being blown up as soon as it happened? Or since MS is now considered the evil villain of the games industry? I'm just curious if the narrative swings one way over the other.

antitrop

So what's wrong with that. Never can use a clean joke because of its root. PC PC PC
This isn't a witch-hunt, nobody is looking for the presenter's heads on a spike for using an inappropriate phrase at a press conference.

It's more just about bringing awareness to the phrase. That's why this thread is so long.

Branduil

Rape jokes can be pretty hilarious..

That said I dont think this was a rape joke.

Well, the whole reason that video is so funny is precisely because it plays on how horrifically inappropriate rape jokes are in that situation(and, ironically, it features a character who refuses to acknowledge they're actually rape jokes, just because they never say the word "rape").

Was this rape joke being blown up as soon as it happened? Or since MS is now considered the evil villain of the games industry? I'm just curious if the narrative swings one way over the other.

I think the "oversensitive PC police" as some call them, would have commented on it the same way if it happened at a Sony conference.

Kazerei

Banned
1 vote.

That means 1 person voted that answer.

Come on man.

And 5 thumbs up

There's a ton of shit you can't equate to that.. it's context... there was nothing relating to rape in what happened in that video.

The context was a guy absolutely destroying a girl in a fighting game...

Are people just being obtuse? The situation does not need to literally involve rape to be a rape joke. It's figurative. It's called innuendo.

NervousXtian

This isn't a witch-hunt, nobody is looking for the presenter's heads on a spike for using an inappropriate phrase at a press conference.

It's more just about bringing awareness to the phrase. That's why this thread is so long.

Honestly, it's mainly people saying it's NOT a rape joke.. and a few people trying to convince everyone else that it IS a rape joke.

That's just the thing.. if most people don't see it as one.. then it probably isn't.

What is the point of creating awareness to something that nobody thinks is there? Think about that. There's better ways to use that energy than this.

And 5 thumbs up

Well, you got me. 5 people chose that.. must be true then.

..or people just don't search that phrase all that often.. which is the much more likely option.

You realize how absurd it is using that GIF to prove that it means rape is.. right?

Smash88

Banned
Are we seriously going to pick at every little thing in order to extract something that just isn't there, because we get a free ticket on the "beat on Microsoft" bandwagon? Man come on this is a new low for us.

The comment was in jest. It was a just his remark on her to give up, because he'll kick her ass (in a fighting game context) and win.

Also the phrase does not have connotations to rape. It's whatever you want it to be. I can say another comment, that is totally out there and we can all spin it in a way that can be construed as negative.

Come on seriously. And as cliché as it sounds, it's all in the mind.

I find it cute that you think this has anything to do with Microsoft. Or even gaming.

This thread would have had a better discourse in Off-Topic.

Have you seen the comments about this video, outside of GAF as well. It sure seems like it to me.

EDIT: Also no need for the passive aggressive remark.

antitrop

Honestly, it's mainly people saying it's NOT a rape joke.. and a few people trying to convince everyone else that it IS a rape joke.

That's just the thing.. if most people don't see it as one.. then it probably isn't.

What is the point of creating awareness to something that nobody thinks is there? Think about that. There's better ways to use that energy than this.
It wasn't a rape joke.

It is, however, a phrase with connotations to rape that should be avoided in public situations like that press conference in the future.

Are we seriously going to pick at every little thing in order to extract something that just isn't there, because we get a free ticket on the "beat on Microsoft" bandwagon? Man come on this is a new low for us.
I find it cute that you think this has anything to do with Microsoft. Or even gaming.

This thread would have had a better discourse in Off-Topic.

ryanthelion123

Neo Member

Why do those words necesitate awareness?

"Hey, man your killing me in the seed spitting content!" -Guy 1
"Yea, just let it happen and it will all be over soon." - Guy 2
"hehehHHAHOOHOO"- Guy 1and 2
"HOLD UP, do you guys know what you are really talking about. Rape. Yea, rape. You can continue laughing now..."- Antitrop

NervousXtian

It wasn't a rape joke.

It is, however, a phrase with connotations to rape that should be avoided in public situations like that press conference in the future.

Why? This is a manufactured controversy then.

Keep in mind, it is a choice to be offended. You have a choice in that matter, being offended is a personal choice one makes. I really wish people used that energy on something else.. because easily offended people are some of the worst people to be around.

antitrop

Keep in mind, it is a choice to be offended. You have a choice in that matter, being offended is a personal choice one makes. I really wish people used that energy on something else.. because easily offended people are some of the worst people to be around.

I'm not offended, I'm merely choosing to understand the reasoning behind why those who were offended felt that way.

I..could you for one moment just consider that this isn't because some people don't like the new xbox and instead it could maybe be about not wanting to hear PROBABLY UNINTENTIONAL rape jokes during a video games conference?

It's possible to care about this more than which video game box we like better.

NervousXtian

I'm not offended, I'm merely choosing to understand why those who were could have been.

Probably because they are looking to be offended by something.. honestly.

I can't think of any other reason to really make a big deal out of the whole thing.

Maybe the solution to this is next time they play a fighting game on-stage, have two arcade sticks avaiable (or whichever format the players prefer), and have two players who won't make things look so one-sided.

And so no one can read into anything, let the characters do the talking.

not wanting to hear PROBABLY UNINTENTIONAL rape jokes during a video games conference?

The 'it' in "just let it happen. It'll all be over soon" is still pretty open to interpretation. On that stage, the 'it' was a one-sided beating. For some, the 'it' has been rape unfortunately. Someone made a good point earlier than you'd hear this in the context of euthanasia, which is probably the first time I've heard it spoken unfortunately. Outright calling it a rape joke like that's the only or principled context the phrase is meant for, especially when people give examples about how else it could be used, feels a little forced.

Or people could attempt to understand why others are offended and use that experience to better themselves as human beings

I think people can understand and still believe the phrasing isn't meant to be rape, at least from their experience. I wonder when everyone has heard this phrase for the first time and the context that goes with it.

antitrop

Probably because they are looking to be offended by something.. honestly.

I can't think of any other reason to really make a big deal out of the whole thing.

You obviously don't follow many female gaming personalities on Twitter.

They weren't looking to be offended. Patricia Hernandez, maybe, but not the vast majority of women that were blowing up my Twitter feed the moment that happened.

Nexas

Or people could attempt to understand why others are offended and use that experience to better themselves as human beings

Smash88

Banned
I..could you for one moment just consider that this isn't because some people don't like the new xbox and instead it could maybe be about not wanting to hear PROBABLY UNINTENTIONAL rape jokes during a video games conference?

It's possible to care about this more than which video game box we like better.

It wasn't even a rape joke to begin with.

As someone said previously, it's a manufactured controversy. It's just people looking for something to gossip about.

The context it was used in, made sense - only people that put it in their mind and construed it (because of some sick thought process) as though he was implying rape are to be called out for their extremely dumb stance.

This is the internet. People will find anything to get offended about (or troll about), not to mention to talk about - especially with the recent negative experiences with Microsoft/Xbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom