• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny announced for the PSP

Director Noriyuki Hiyama from Namco gave us a quick overview of the game and highlighted some of the changes. Our demo consisted of a couple of matches, and we couldn't see much beyond a few initial menus. The character menu looked like it had enough slots for roughly 30 characters, but the final count hasn't been determined yet, since the developers are still working on the roster--there will definitely be more than 20, though. Taki, Mitsurugi, Tira, Astaroth, Ivy, Cassandra, Voldo, Siegfried, and Hilde were our only options for now, so we decided to pit the lethal whip-wielding Ivy against the burly katana-swinging Mitsurugi. As soon as we entered the match, it was like watching SCIV except on a smaller screen. The characters move with the same finesse and grace as they do in the console version, and the detailed visuals and over-the-top, epic-sounding music that SC has always been known for are included here. At this stage in development, the graphics and visual effects are quite impressive on Sony's handheld.

Broken Destiny isn't a port, though; the Project Soul team has built this version specifically to target beginners and novice players with SCIV's content but has added improvements. There will be arcade, versus, and survival modes, as well as a character creation mode, but the only details disclosed at this point are that there will be new parts to play with in the creation mode and that the other modes have been "evolved." What we do know is that a new single-player mode is being implemented to bring new players up to speed and show them the intricacies of the game--almost like an enhanced tutorial system. It is designed to help improve your fighting skills, so newcomers who might be intimidated by the series can find a way to ease into an intense fighting regimen. There are more than 80 exercise missions for you to hone your fighting skills in.

There will be ad hoc so players can beat each other senseless in a local match, but we will have to wait to see whether Wi-Fi is a possibility as well. We were impressed with our brief look at Soulcalibur: Broken Destiny and will update you as soon as more information becomes available. The game is currently set to be released exclusively on the PSP this summer.

959863_20090428_790screen012.jpg

959863_20090428_screen005.jpg

959863_20090428_screen002.jpg

959863_20090428_screen001.jpg

959863_20090428_screen006.jpg

959863_20090428_screen004.jpg

http://www.gamespot.com/psp/action/soulcaliburbrokendestiny/news.html?sid=6208732

Interview

http://www.gamespot.com/psp/action/.../6208752/soulcalibur-broken-destiny-interview

DMeisterJ

Banned
What.

The.

Fuck.

PSP games keep getting announced! E3 is going to be CRAZY for the PSP. Sony must have something up their sleeve.

KingJ2002

good stuff...

... not to derail this thread but that looks pretty good... if they could do this then there was no reason for them to release that soul calibur legends game for the wii... they could have produced something like this for system and gave the wii another fighter

Zen

Banned
Ok, developers must seriously know something we don't. If 18 months ago they werre ready to jump off a cliff as far as the PSP went, Sony 'evangelizing' the PSP wouldn't have resulted in this level of support, nor do I really think that Sony is paying for all this PSP support. The PSP4000 must be the real deal....

KingJ2002 said:
good stuff...

... not to derail this thread but that looks pretty good... if they could do this then there was no reason for them to release that soul calibur legends game for the wii... they could have produced something like this for system and gave the wii another fighter

Or the PS2 for that matter. I mean, seriously. I doubt SCIV PSP will only stay on the PSP.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
ShockingAlberto said:
Why does this look so much better than Tekken 6 PSP?

Maybe it uses the 333mhz mode that Tekken 6 doesn't (since it uses the Tekken 5 engine).

Zen said:
Ok, developers must seriously know something we don't. If 18 months ago they werre ready to jump off a cliff as far as the PSP went, Sony 'evangelizing' the PSP wouldn't have resulted in this level of support, nor do I really think taht Sony is paying for all this PSP support. The PSP4000 must be the real deal....

DD only does wonders in fixing the PSP "problems"

Awesome. Looks like I'll be upgrading to a psp-3000 (4000?) instead of a DSi this year. All these new PSP fighting game announcements have made me wonder, is there a way to improve the d-pad, or has it already been improved in the 2000/3000?

kiruyama said:
Awesome. Looks like I'll be upgrading to a psp-3000 (4000?) instead of a DSi this year. All these new PSP fighting game announcements have made me wonder, is there a way to improve the d-pad, or has it already been improved in the 2000/3000?

There are stick-on pads you can put on your PSP.

psp_sfzero3pad_02.jpg

Alphahawk

For everyone saying today is PSP's day am I missing something? So far only this and Tekken have been announced today right? I mean granted that if fairly impressive but I'm getting the feeling I'm missing something here.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
But I thought the PSP was supposed to be a dead console. What with all those good games? damn

Dante

I Betcha they are gonna announce PSP games playable on PS3 at E3, I can't for the life of me figure out how they are getting this resurgence in third Party PSP support.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
What's really needed is a BR type upgrade for SC4. Game was mad unbalanced at high level. Chars like Rock and Mina were worthless.

Zen

Banned
Dante said:
I Betcha they are gonna announce PSP games playable on PS3 at E3, I can't for the life of me figure out how they are getting this resurgence in third Party PSP support.

Well, with titles like this I think we're partially seeing a bleed over of the Japanese support for the PSP in Japan. Although I'm sure the PSP4000, or whatever, is just pushing things over the edge.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Looks amazing for a PSP game. DO WANT! Why does this look better than most Wii games? o.o

Eteric Rice

Dante said:

From what I understand from some interview a few weeks ago, Sony got together with a bunch of developers and convinced them it's still worth making games for.

Seems to be working.

Dante said:

Something is going on... I'm expecting a big PSP hardware announcement at E3.

wow Tekken and Soul Calibur in one day, PSP is on a roll :D
Buying both of these, as well as like 15 other games, about as much as i've bought in the whole of the PSP's lifetime :lol

jj984jj said:
Looks amazing for a PSP game. DO WANT! Why does this look better than most Wii games? o.o

Yeah, I'm gonna need to see video to believe it. Not to invoke the full fury, but it genuinely looks better visually than any Wii game to date.

Top Bottom