• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space X Jason-3 launch 1/17 10:42am PST/1:42pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
You need a barge with that chicken-head-motion-thing to keep it level.

cebri.one

Elon wants some video feed¡¡¡

CY8ZCmdWUAAMoxq.jpg:large

How would they know?
The guys running the spacex live threads aren't usually just random joes on the internet, they usually have good sources of information.

Anyway, there's no cheering going on in the livestream, so either they don't have an update (unlikely) or things haven't gone according to plan. I remain hopeful. :)

Mindlog

That's the wonderful nature of these launches. Landing is itself a science mission tacked on at comparably small cost.
I will see that day a rocket lands on a boat :]

cebri.one

My hope is slowly fading away.

If they had landed succesfully we would know by now. I bet they know it crashed but want a bit of info to release it to the public.

Edit: I'm a bit hopeful since i saw they lost some telemetry too. So maybe they don't know.

Edit2: Leg broken. Probably stage crashed.

SpaceX needs clients to fund other research. The primary mission is always to get the payload where the client wants. Always.

Indeed, so whether or not they can pull off landing the first stage this time isn't so important. As long as they can get the satellite into its required orbit and deployed properly, it'll be a good thing. As they say, this first stage landing bit, while important, really is a secondary objective.

well its obviously crashed since it had not landed by the time it was supposed to and when the feed was still working. there is no margin to linger after all, Its either in the drink or in pieces.

Why are they landing on a barge again?

They don't have a landing pad at Vandenberg AFB, and it's to test (and refine) doing so, which they'll need to do for bigger rockets like the Falcon 9 Heavy which they will be using to be delivering bigger payloads to space. It might also be safer (but that's just me guessing there).

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Isn't it possible to make a platform that would always be level even in relatively strong waves? Sounds like that alone would be an absolute prerequisite, and then on top of that some sort of wind protection that would rise into place as soon as the rocket is aligned around three meters above with the platform.

edit: Sounds to me like the whole landing thing still doesn't make sense due to how it's constructed. It seems they need to rethink the whole design.

Oriel

"Slightly" hard landing, stage was on target but looked like it missed. Close but again, no cigar. Sigh, maybe next time. :(

Awww. Well hey, every step forward is better and better. Hopefully the satellite deploys no issues. Putting it on target is still an amazing feat, especially given how the ocean was rolling so much.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Isn't it possible to make a platform that would always be level even in relatively strong waves? Sounds like that alone would be an absolute prerequisite, and then on top of that some sort of wind protection that would rise into place as soon as the rocket is aligned around three meters above with the platform.

edit: Sounds to me like the whole landing thing still doesn't make sense due to how it's constructed. It seems they need to rethink the whole design.
An abandoned oil rig would do.

Fireblend

Banned
Ah well, there's always next time! :p

If the Giant Bomb guys managed to get to the moon in KSP, I'm sure SpaceX will figure this one out eventually
KuGsj.gif

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
An abandoned oil rig would do.

If you can move it around. But I'm guessing it must be possible to make a platform that is always level with the waves.

That's one thing, the second one is I really don't think the design of the rocket's landing and stabilization makes sense. It looks extremely flimsy, like you need something to hold the rocket in place as soon as it lands, to do away with the very possibility of a "hard landing". Like something that would basically catch it, like a hand holding it when it starts hovering close to the surface rather than land.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

If the landing areas are generally the same place then couldn't they build a platform at sea, like an oil rig type structure?

Or for situations where it might topple, have some restraining device you can deploy from the barge to help keep it upright even if a leg breaks

Nelo Ice

Banned
Boo, funny thing is I'm not worried about SpaceX getting the payload into orbit. I imagine landing the 1st stage back is dramatically harder since they're the 1st and only company to do it.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
If you can move it around. But I'm guessing it must be possible to make a platform that is always level with the waves.

That's one thing, the second one is I really don't think the design of the rocket's landing and stabilization makes sense. It looks extremely flimsy, like you need something to hold the rocket in place as soon as it lands, to do away with the very possibility of a "hard landing". Like something that would basically catch it, like a hand holding it when it starts hovering close to the surface rather than land.
Yeah, given how expensive these things are you'd think some larger capture system would be better than just a pad in the ocean. Dunno how advanced the platform is at stabilizing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom