• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sphero BB-8 toy from The Force Awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.

shira

Considering you can get a lot of smartphones for next to nothing now (notice it works with Android), and even from less-off families probably have hand-me-down phones that are good enough... it's not a very big issue these days.

being poor or less-off is actually poor

http://www.feedingamerica.org/hunge...ger/child-hunger/child-hunger-fact-sheet.html
"According to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), 15.8 million children under 18 in the United States live in households where they are unable to consistently access enough nutritious food necessary for a healthy life"

Way over barrier to entry. I can see a star wars fan geek buying it but seriously. $150 can go a lot further for a family. That's a whole family night at the movies. Dinner out at Olive Garden.

Ticklemeelmo was priced under $100 and required nothing.

$150 and requires another $400 device to operate it
cm-vi3.gif

you can get a prepaid android phone for under $50

plus the market for buyers for this thing surely has a smartphone already.

Rootbeer

Banned
Not every product is intended for everyone. There is actually a cheaper BB-8 toy that will use RC technology for sale around the same time. And there are even cheaper, non mobile versions of BB-8. There is a range of products for differing budgets, as with so many other things.

shira

Not every product is intended for everyone. There is actually a cheaper BB-8 toy that will use RC technology for sale around the same time. And there are even cheaper, non mobile versions of BB-8. There is a range of products for differing budgets, as with so many other things.

Odrion called it the next Tickle Me Elmo - I said it was too expensive, you said poor families have smartphones
Calling it. This is going to be the big toy this year. Tickle Me Elmo proportions of demand.

If it was bigger I would want it. Maybe I'll get it and hope they run out and I can make a ton of money reselling it.
I wouldn't do that

Luigi87

Saw a box of these in the back at the Best Buy I work at.
... So I guess they're out soon? Or are they already out? I didn't see any street date info on said box.

Rootbeer

Banned
Saw a box of these in the back at the Best Buy I work at.
... So I guess they're out soon? Or are they already out? I didn't see any street date info on said box.
Thanks for the confirmation.

Sounds like these will be on sale for Force Friday, Sept 4th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom