• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sphero BB-8 toy from The Force Awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rootbeer

Banned
Seems like that is a game from a different developer that uses Sphero as its control device? Their webpage is a different URL, and defunct at that.

yeah I've been reading about it and I don't think Sphero is directly involved. It's unfair to blame them for this failed kickstarter IMO.

Word. It is nice to be vindicated for joining tram #practical right off the bat, if only because BB-8 is so awesome. It happened a second time when I maintained he was probably still just a puppet in the film, despite them rolling BB-8 out on stage. They really had us all thinking he might have the real deal all along, but I'm glad they figured it out in the end so we can all go out and buy our own (even if it didn't happen until filming was basically done).

In one of the previous issues of Make:, they had a few different people who reverse-engineered their own BB-8 droids, so it can be done.

Don't ever put anything past the ILM teams.

$150 and requires another $400 device to operate it
cm-vi3.gif
I didn't know iPod Touches and similar Android tablets cost $400. Last time I checked they were significantly less than that.

Rootbeer

Banned
More info from reddit...

I got a letter from a company telling me to remove the images from my site. They called it "the Best Buy BB-8" and TFN said it was Best Buy only. Maybe the box is just different. I hear Bad Bath and Beyond got some in stock

I have friends who work in an Apple Store. They have it in stock to be sold on Force Friday.

snacknuts

we all knew her
A friend of mine at work just texted me and said she got one at Best Buy. Hoping she brings it into the office on Tuesday.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Thinking of returning mine. It's fun and all, but that video is kind of deceptive. They show it on Patrol mode on a table, but it has no sensors to detect the edge of the table (or in my case, desk) so it just falls off.

I got the last one from my local Barnes & Noble yesterday after seeing it for the first time in the morning. I felt bad because B&N held it for me and the cashier hoped I wouldn't show up so she could get it, haha.

Overall, I like it, despite the price. Driving takes a bit of getting used to, getting that blue light behind it. Didn't realize it at first. It zips along pretty fast so you have to be careful. I tried patrol mode for a little while but it kept bumping into stuff and losing its head so I quit that. Loses charge pretty quick, in my opinion. Says 60 minutes but it might be around half that. Charging it up, however, doesn't take too much time. Maybe an hour or so. I'm curious to see if updates will add different abilities to it as the movie draws closer.

Saw one at a Disney store today. The employees were playing around with it. I looked at it, a bit dumbfounded, and almost kicked the thing on the way out.

It's def not as cool as i was expecting it to be.

To anyone that has/had it, does it scratch easily? I'd imagine if I ran it outside it would scratch, but works it scratch on hardwood floors or carpet?

To anyone that has/had it, does it scratch easily? I'd imagine if I ran it outside it would scratch, but works it scratch on hardwood floors or carpet?

I've been driving it around on hardwood floors, tile, and carpet. Upon a quick inspection, I really don't see any scratches.

The only thing is the longer of the two antenna on his head. That could bend if you run it under something.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I wish the thing were bigger, like the size it is on the box. It's not very good on carpet, and if it were just a bit bigger, I think it would be a lot more versatile.

I wish the thing were bigger, like the size it is on the box. It's not very good on carpet, and if it were just a bit bigger, I think it would be a lot more versatile.

I agree. I put it on a rug and it seemed sluggish. If it went off it, it zipped around a lot quicker.

I assume these are all sold out now?

I would think so. However, on Sphero's website, you could preorder one and they say it'll ship in October.

Word. It is nice to be vindicated for joining tram #practical right off the bat, if only because BB-8 is so awesome. It happened a second time when I maintained he was probably still just a puppet in the film, despite them rolling BB-8 out on stage. They really had us all thinking he might have the real deal all along, but I'm glad they figured it out in the end so we can all go out and buy our own (even if it didn't happen until filming was basically done).

Disney patented the mechanical design of BB-8 before they bought Lucasfilms #curiousfacts

I have a question for anyone who has the sphero bb-8

I just got a notification on the app saying I had a new holo- message to view. I've gone in and it's just the same original holo-message that's there, I've viewed it but the app still has the red notification on it - any ideas?

I have a question for anyone who has the sphero bb-8

I just got a notification on the app saying I had a new holo- message to view. I've gone in and it's just the same original holo-message that's there, I've viewed it but the app still has the red notification on it - any ideas?

I got the same notification this morning. Still have yet to figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom