• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man: Dylan O’Brien & Logan Lerman Being Eyed for MCU Reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raistlin

Pretty interesting that gaf came up with Dylan as a front-runner before it was even disclosed he was being eyed.

I usually don't like joining the gaf hivemind, but this is the right choice.

Isn't O'Brien tied down by his role in The Maze Runner series? If not then he'd be a real good choice but man it would've been awesome to have Garfield/Stone again.

harSon

Banned
I'm kind of surprised they're going with an American actor. I'm so used to that not being the case, but then again, Marvel seems to buck the trend of having European or Australian actors play Americans in their films. I was legitimately expecting Brenton Thwaites, who actually wouldn't be too bad of a Spiderman.

charsace

Pretty interesting that gaf came up with Dylan as a front-runner before it was even disclosed he was being eyed.

I usually don't like joining the gaf hivemind, but this is the right choice.

There will never be a minority spiderman on film. It would make sense since Spiderman is an innercity NYC youth, but it won't ever happen.

Anyone that has watched Dylan's stuff eventually thinks spiderman. Not surprised he is the front runner.

histopher

Not familiar with either of them but theyre not what I imagine Spidey looking like. The Amazing movies were rubbish but if they go with these guys Im gonna miss Garfield. Tobey was the best.

Akahige

Logan is seriously not a good actor, the other guy I have not seen in anything.

I wish Spidey wasn't back at high school but it could be a interesting counter point to the rest of the MCU fellows.

Anth0ny

As I said in the other thread, I'm not really feeling either choice. Tobey and Garfield looked and felt perfect from the get go imo. Not the same with these two.

They also seem really young. Tobey and Garfield were in their mid/late 20s when they played high school Peter.

Raistlin

There will never be a minority spiderman on film. It would make sense since Spiderman is an innercity NYC youth, but it won't ever happen.
Maybe, maybe not.

The problem here is that they went with Peter Parker Spiderman. When picking actors, it's pretty normal to speculate on people that physically look similar to the character in question. I don't think that inherently has racial undertones. And let's be honest, his mannerisms are pretty stereotypical 'white'.*

Given they want to plug him into MCU seemingly as part of Civil War, the choice of Parker at this time obviously makes sense.

I would like to see a Miles Morales movie at some point though.

* There's a dual problem in these sorts of movies. For one, audience goers for most mainstream movies have issues accepting characters who diverge too much from stereotypes in general. They expect a white sciencie guy to be nerdy and have self-image issues. They expect a black character to be 'cool', etc. Second, these movies are based on comic characters from long-running series. All the characters from that era were crazy arch-typical in characterization.

So you end up with a well known character with traits that people would likely find hard to swallow from another race even if they don't know the source material. They'd probably accept Indian though :\

Zabka

Anyone that has watched Dylan's stuff eventually thinks spiderman. Not surprised he is the front runner.

Spider-man's from a pretty white area of Queens.

GenoStarz

I don't understand why people say Logan is a bad actor. He is actually good in Fury.

It's like the Ben Affleck being Batman controversy all over again.

Reule

They're not going with Garfield because they don't want a connection to the Amazing Spider-Man movies, right?

Shame, I really liked Garfield. I don't think he's really at fault for the movies being mediocre. It would've been nice to see his face pop up but I guess I understand. I don't really know either of these actors but I'm sure they'll cast someone appropriate.

They're not going with Garfield because they don't want a connection to the Amazing Spider-Man movies, right?

Likely a combination of various things. The last movie underperformed and got some critic/fan backlash, sure, but it still made $700+ million worldwide. However with the new Marvel deal they also want to set up a new series so they can plan things out better.

styl3s

Shame, I really liked Garfield. I don't think he's really at fault for the movies being mediocre. It would've been nice to see his face pop up but I guess I understand. I don't really know either of these actors but I'm sure they'll cast someone appropriate.
I never understood the hate Garfield got, i thought he played a fantastic Peter Parker and was genuine funny under the mask. The problem with those movies wasn't Garfield it was from a overrated hack director and shitty writers.

I feel bad for Garfield too but then I remember he can let Emma Stone sit on his face.

He's coming.

tumblr_n620ur3T6i1tcapybo1_500.gif

Hope it's not him. His nose freaks me out.

pulga

Banned
People think O'brien is a pretty boy? Looks pretty average to me, don't understand all the crying done in the first couple of pages.

Reule

Likely a combination of various things. The last movie underperformed and got some critic/fan backlash, sure, but it still made $700+ million worldwide. However with the new Marvel deal they also want to set up a new series so they can plan things out better.
Yeah, that sounds about right. Just wish their planning could possibly rework the Sony movies into their canon somehow. Seems like a waste to throw Garfield away.

I never understood the hate Garfield got, i thought he played a fantastic Peter Parker and was genuine funny under the mask. The problem with those movies wasn't Garfield it was from a overrated hack director and shitty writers.
Garfield and Stone held those films together. Just a shame Sony couldn't have found better people to handle the series.

I feel bad for Garfield too but then I remember he can let Emma Stone sit on his face.
Life must be good being Garfield.

ZeroFate

People think O'brien is a pretty boy? Looks pretty average to me, don't understand all the crying done in the first couple of pages.

Yeah... not quite getting that either. He's attractive, but people are acting like they cast a younger Ryan Gosling or something.

O'Brien is a solid choice, but he's very much in the same mold as Garfield. It's feels like they'd be the same Spider-Man, which is awesome because I think Garfield was a great Spider-Man with horrible scripts.

Logan Lerman is more the nerd Peter people seem to want, especially in Perks of Being a Wallflower.

Alienous

O'Brien is a solid choice, but he's very much in the same mold as Garfield. It's feels like they'd be the same Spider-Man, which is awesome because I think Garfield was a great Spider-Man with horrible scripts.

Logan Lerman is more the nerd Peter people seem to want, especially in Perks of Being a Wallflower.

You spelled nose wrong.

BLACKLAC

Yep just show this to Marvel and tell me they don't want him for Parker. I'm willing to bet he's their number one choice but schedule could be an issue with him being on a decently popular show and a film series that is starting off well at the BO as well.

I would imagine Marvel is big enough to work something out with his schedule even if there are initial conflicts. I mean if the people behind the show O'Brien is on and or the teen franchise he's in move things around a bit, they then have Spider-man in their cast.

I would imagine Marvel is big enough to work something out with his schedule even if there are initial conflicts. I mean if the people behind the show O'Brien is on and or the teen franchise he's in move things around a bit they then have Spider-man in their cast.

Yeah thats a good point. Having Spidey in your show would be a huge deal and would be great for marketing.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The real question is:

Which girl should be in the first Standalone?

Gwen Stacy
Mary Jane
Felicia Hardy

All 3?

Which actresses should play them?

The real question is:

Gwen Stacy
Mary Jane
Felicia Hardy

All 3?

Marvel probably wants the most well known, so Mary Jane I bet. Now who should play her is a good question, doesn't seem to be a front runner for me. Though the actress who plays Sansa Stark in GOT would have been epic but shes in X Men Apocalypse now

I want Miles too but he will always work best as the kid who picks up the mantle. And then learns, lives up to it, and defines himself as his own hero.

It's a disservice to both characters to shoehorn them into some combined character.

I'd like to see miles as an expansion movie.

Slayven

I want Miles too but he will always work best as the kid who picks up the mantle. And then learns, lives up to it, and defines himself as his own hero.

It's a disservice to both characters to shoehorn them into some combined character.

I'd like to see miles as an expansion movie.

This guy gets it.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
The real question is:

Gwen Stacy
Mary Jane
Felicia Hardy

All 3?

Give me MJ in SM2017 & Felicia Hardy in Daredevil Season 2. Then get both ladies in SM2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom