• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring D2D sale

Sloegr

pr0cs said:
that depends ENTIRELY on the game, none of the games I've bought on D2D had this sort of check.

Yeah. Some games on D2D have zero DRM at all (and they're marked as DRM free), some have DRM from the publishers, and some seem to have an activation limit.

I do wish D2D was more up front with exactly what DRM is on each game, since I've had to contact customer service to find out before each purchase. With that said, customer service has always been extremely helpful and informative when I've asked them for DRM information.

careful

Kinda interested in King's Bounty.. I know I definitely wouldn't play it anytime soon, and I would prefer to have all my games on Steam. I might wait for a Steam sale... $15 is cheap though.. Tough call.

VALIS

For people who are so worried about having PC games in a client other than Steam's, don't forget you can still use Steam to catalog and launch your D2D games, they just have to be installed.

Why the HELL can't I log in?! It says I'm logged into another IGN site (totally untrue) and neither "One Touch Log-In" or "Log In with Email Address" work. Is this a problem with the Opera browser?

soldat7

King's Bounty and NWN2...super tempting. I'm more of a Steam and GoG kinda guy though...still tempting.

Do I need to have played the original NWN in order to play and enjoy #2?

VALIS said:
For people who are so worried about having PC games in a client other than Steam's, don't forget you can still use Steam to catalog and launch your D2D games, they just have to be installed.

My worry is more about cataloging and tracking what I buy from where so I can re-download in the future.

Whoa. Call of Cshdoaiwhdowa and NWN 2 are mine. I cannot believe that Atari never made good on their NWN2/Steam announcement, but I suppose it saved me a good 50-60 bucks.

kn1ves24

Does anybody have the D2D version of Fallout 3? I'm wondering if all/most/thebestones/etc. mods work with it. I'm assuming they do, but I was reading on another site and someone commented that not all the mods worked for the D2D version.

I really can't imagine why maybe they just didn't know what they were talking about, but I really would like to know if some don't or whatever. The only reason I am considering picking it up is for the mods. I have it on the consoles already.

Thanks in advance.

Oh and I recommend Kings Bounty games. I got them off a steam sale a few months back and what I've played of them so far I've really enjoyed, the stories are quite witty.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
GHG said:
Thats because there isn't any D2D specific DRM.

Whats The Club like? Its a fiver on the UK store and thinking about biting.

Yeah there is, and it has activation limits.

Civ 4 BTS didn't have activation limits at the last patch, and I got locked out, so there has to be some specific DRM.

Getting locked out of a game that has no DRM otherwise= I don't use your service anymore.

I'd even use Steam first- at least they're upfront about it now (all the legitimate DD sites are)

I snagged Dirt 2. I've been waiting for it to drop on Steam, but I checked the Steam store and it was sitting on the front page, $39.99, like some kind of sign. :lol

Everdred

Baloonatic said:
The Club is pretty fun. Shame that GFWL crashes it when trying to download the patch.
The Club is awesome, i actually got it from D2D a few months ago and I never had any GFWL crashes.

Everdred said:
The Club is awesome, i actually got it from D2D a few months ago and I never had any GFWL crashes.

Did you ever need to patch it? I can't actually find any info on a patch yet it keeps trying.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Everdred said:
I got it off of D2D too, I believe. I haven't tried it in 7 yet, but in XP it couldn't get GFWL working right with it so I could never save my game (which is SUCH bullshit). The game itself is fun, but I COULD NEVER SAVE MY GAME. It was such a waste of money, but maybe installing it in 7 will get it to work.

I might try it some time, but I did only spend $5 on it or something.

edit: Got it off of Gamersgate actually. Probably doesn't make any difference though.

Rufus said:
I din't have any problems with the 10 or so games I've bought from them. I'm actually not aware of any d2d specific DRM.

Its almost always just what's included on the disc version, so something like Democracy 2 is 100% DRM free. DRM wise they're actually better than Steam. They have a pretty useful and pretty feature packed client now as well althiugh its completely optional unlike Steam.

They weren't so great in the past but I see no reason to use them these days.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I buy off both Steam and D2D. The main difference for me is it not listing the game I am currently playing to friends on Steam when it isn't a Steam game (unless there is a solution and I am unaware of it).

I also like to track my PC gaming and I've been using something called RescueTime since the non Steam games won't be tracked (again unless I'm missing a workaround)

Some of the games I bought off D2D were actually Steamworks games and inputting the serial directly into Steam pretty much made them a Steam game.

Everdred

Baloonatic said:
Did you ever need to patch it? I can't actually find any info on a patch yet it keeps trying.
I did have to patch it when I first installed it. I started the game, it said there was a patch so I clicked OK to download. I remember it installed, closed and re-opened the game. When it reopened it prompted me again and said there was a patch. After the 2nd time it installed correctly and I've been good ever since.

Running Windows 7 64-bit BTW.

Everdred said:
I did have to patch it when I first installed it. I started the game, it said there was a patch so I clicked OK to download. I remember it installed, closed and re-opened the game. When it reopened it prompted me again and said there was a patch. After the 2nd time it installed correctly and I've been good ever since.

Running Windows 7 64-bit BTW.

Yeah I just got it working. Had to reinstall and then run as administrator and it worked after crashing a few times.

Great game!

So, Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 won't start under Windows 7x64bit. There is not even a black-screen or something like that. I tried compatibility mode, but still no success :/
Any suggestions?

Tryckser said:
So, Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 won't start under Windows 7x64bit. There is not even a black-screen or something like that. I tried compatibility mode, but still no success :/
Any suggestions?

Tried XP-Mode? Its 2D and ancient so it may work.

19Kilo

Hmmmm Dirt 2, DCS: Black Shark and King's Bounty. I will most likely end up with at least one of those (if not all of them) as soon as I give in to my weakness.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Sooo...the Amazon page for that Stalker game claims it is full of glitches that make the player have a terrible time. How true is this? I've always been interested in Stalker but I kind of hate glitchy games.

larvi

brain_stew said:
Tried XP-Mode? Its 2D and ancient so it may work.

I just tried XP-Mode and get the following error:

rrct2error.png

So no luck there either it seems. I guess it's time to fire up the old Win98 PC or install XP in dual boot mode. I'm really not happy with Win7's compatibility with older Win32 games (not to mention complete lack of Win16 support)

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
IPoopStandingUp said:
Sooo...the Amazon page for that Stalker game claims it is full of glitches that make the player have a terrible time. How true is this? I've always been interested in Stalker but I kind of hate glitchy games.
Stalker is glitchy as hell. The game isn't well polished at all. You have to just kind of ignore the rough edges.

larvi said:
I just tried XP-Mode and get the following error:

rrct2error.png

So no luck there either it seems. I guess it's time to fire up the old Win98 PC or install XP in dual boot mode. I'm really not happy with Win7's compatibility with older Win32 games (not to mention complete lack of Win16 support)

Well that sucks, I was really looking forware to buying it. :(

Zachack

IPoopStandingUp said:
The initial release was very buggy but there are patches, both official and user-made, that fix most of the problems. You basically need to get the game installed to the point where you have the STALKER Complete Mod 2009 (or whatever it's called). At that point the game is fixed (enough).

Has anyone tried RCT2 on Vista?

Hell, it does work on XP, yes? I'm playing most of my GoG games on an old laptop.

larvi

brain_stew said:
Well that sucks, I was really looking forware to buying it. :(

fwiw I don't have a true xp-mode since I only have Win7 premium but I did the roll your own xp mode by installing Virtual PC and my own copy of XP then adding the integration features on top of that. I don't expect it would be any different in a "true" xp mode but it may be worth a shot. I also tried installing in a Win98se VM but it appears the D2D installer isn't compatible with Win98 so no luck there either.

Has anyone confirmed that RC Tycoon 2 works in 32bit Win7 or Vista or is it strictly for WinXP 32?

Top Bottom