• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Gamescom presentation [Over]

these threads get more and more aggressive with each delay.

it's fascinating to watch.

So is 3.0 coming in September or not?

no.. its not going to make October either.

300-Gameplay.png

no.. its not going to make October either.

300-Gameplay.png

Alright. Probably going to ask for a refund, then. I like to think I'm a man of my word and I said in the OT that if 3.0 didn't make late September like GAFers said it would I would get my money back.

I guess I have a decision to make, but I once again find myself incredibly disappointed. Game feels like it's aligning itself to be a jack of all trades...but I have no reason to believe that it will be anything but a master of nothing right now. I didn't want to watch the video for fear of disappointment, and the hostility in this thread tells me everything I needed to know about how well they did (or in this case didn't) do in what was apparently another demo that had a problematic showing.

They gave no release date or promise. My guess is more likely early 2018 with a lot of jank, maybe late 2018 with most gamebreaking bugs fixed. 3.1 sometime mid to late 2019.

Yea, I'm out. Fuck this nonsense.

Join us with these features after features with half ass results

Okay I'm in. I really don't want to ask for my money back. I've been a backer for years now. I don't need the money, but shit I earned it and I don't want to feel like I'm just throwing it away and right now that's how it feels. I just...I'm just growing really frustrated. Games aren't supposed to be engulfed in controversy and anger. Every SC thread looks or at least feels like this. It's just not normal.

Llyranor

I got my 425$ refunded last year and it was immensely liberating. Now I don't need to worry about whether this game ends up being a scam or a disappointment or whatever. If it ends up good, I just buy it at the base price when it finally releases.

I got my 425$ refunded last year and it was immensely liberating. Now I don't need to worry about whether this game ends up being a scam or a disappointment or whatever. If it ends up good, I just buy it at the base price when it finally releases.

smarter man than most. learning from mistakes.

what the fuuuuck

yea referral rewards have been a thing for a long time. it's why Twitch streamers playing this game (few thought they may be) push their referral links pretty hard.

Dynomutt

In part because backers get rewards (a new gladius ship + special models) when they get referrals, it incentivizes backers to get more people enrolled. So that's one half.

That sounds similar to Multi-Level Marketing!
mlm1.jpg

Only difference is in game content as opposed to actual money.

This game really interests me from a world building perspective. The ships and MMO aspects. I am interested to see how everything turns out.

Outrun

That is where I am at now.

It is liberating. I wish CIG all the best and I am happy to rejoin if they come through.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Okay I'm in. I really don't want to ask for my money back. I've been a backer for years now. I don't need the money, but shit I earned it and I don't want to feel like I'm just throwing it away and right now that's how it feels. I just...I'm just growing really frustrated. Games aren't supposed to be engulfed in controversy and anger. Every SC thread looks or at least feels like this. It's just not normal.

Honestly the bigger backers have largely bailed on the threads and are hanging out in Discord killing time, not really getting that tied up in this stuff. Either it'll play out or it won't. We have a ton of people signed up for the org who don't post day to day because they're just doing other stuff in the mean time. One day either the project runs out of money or the game's out, and how much the opinions sway either way here doesn't have much of an impact on the game's chances. I've barely had enough time to keep up with things myself lately and I'm the OP and guild leader, lol.

People have been trolling the hell out of the threads to try to make the discussion look as shitty as possible to put new people off the game. The threads look awful because that's exactly what people set out to do, so that could explain why you feel something's off there. People have been putting up with a lot in there for over a year now.

Anyway, good luck with the refund and I'm curious how it goes for you.

How did you go about it? Call/email/best thing to say in conjunction with I want refund? I'm thinking about it too. Still looking forward to it, but I might just get with base price instead.

How did you go about it? Call/email/best thing to say in conjunction with I want refund? I'm thinking about it too. Still looking forward to it, but I might just get with base price instead.

email CIG customer support and ask for a refund. they will send the funds to your PayPal account and your email+username will be permanently disabled.

That ship fucking sailed. People aren't joking when they say that you have to build a game from the ground up using VR best practices to develop something that doesn't feel like shit when you play it in VR and SC has gone against those best practices every step of the way. This face recognition thing is just one more nail on that coffin.

Chris, for all the talk of being a big ideas visionary, was caught entirely with his pants down with VR. Every idea he's had about "immersion" runs contrary to VR in one way or the other and he continues to add things that will make it harder and harder to implement.

They mentioned in the original video showing off the Mobiglass UI that it was made a physical aspect of the world partially because of VR so they're at least keeping it in mind somewhere. Don't get me wrong though. I agree that a LOT of decisions they've made with this game are VR-unfreindly and I'm not holding my breathe on the final game having good implementation of it.

Jackpot

Banned
People have been trolling the hell out of the threads to try to make the discussion look as shitty as possible to put new people off the game. The threads look awful because that's exactly what people set out to do, so that could explain why you feel something's off there. People have been putting up with a lot in there for over a year now.

No, those threads look shitty because backers are rabidly aggressive who attack anyone who displays the slightest bit of critical thinking.

From claiming that hating on SC is no different than transphobia or racism to saying that anyone being less than "realistically optimistic" is automatically a troll to claiming people who haven't invested enough money are Derek Smart aligned goon trolls.

To claim it's because of a targeted conspiracy to sabotage the game is just further evidence of the cult-like attitude.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Interesting, I didn't know about the referral links and how heavy they were being pushed with regards to this game. That's pretty gross.
With every new gameplay "module" showing, my hype seems to diminish. I appreciate the ambition and hope for the best result. But still can't shake the feeling that this game is headed for the cliff though.

Soi-Fong

All I really want is Squadron 42 as wing commander was just amazing...

But clearly that's not happening anytime soon.

It's not even the buggy presentation or what have you. When you dole out a specific feature like mapping a user's face from a specific kind of webcam they're trying to sell to you and on the same presentation, have a crash and a hilarious bug with a rover not even able to get on a ramp, you know stuff is just sideways..

Why are features like that still added when the game is in such a bad state where even the most controlled vertical slice is still crashing.

The referral links don't even bother me. There's bigger problems this game has.

mcrommert

Banned
Yeah as someone who had 45 bucks in a long time ago... I'm okay if only single player ever ships... Or even nothing

Had a lot of faith but this constant push back of 3.0 is making me rethink things... My 2 year old son might be plenty old enough to play by the time this thing actually comes out

Raticus79

No, those threads look shitty because backers are rabidly aggressive who attack anyone who displays the slightest bit of critical thinking.

From claiming that hating on SC is no different than transphobia or racism to saying that anyone being less than "realistically optimistic" is automatically a troll to claiming people who haven't invested enough money are Derek Smart aligned goon trolls.

To claim it's because of a targeted conspiracy to sabotage the game is just further evidence of the cult-like attitude.

Yeah, it has gotten out of hand these days. I tried to keep the peace but it only went so far. After "don't feed the trolls" didn't work, people started escalating, and that momentum kept going. I'm just trying to explain how things got so riled up in the first place. Now that I think about it, I actually can't get into that any further, so sure, let's just go with me being a silly cultist who was just imagining things. Sorry about that.

Anyway, hopefully CitizenCon's a better showing. Like a lot of others, Squadron 42 was all I was looking for in the first place.

Soi-Fong

Yeah, it has gotten out of hand these days. I tried to keep the peace but it only went so far. After "don't feed the trolls" didn't work, people started escalating, and that momentum kept going. I'm just trying to explain how things got so riled up in the first place. Now that I think about it, I actually can't get into that any further, so sure, let's just go with me being a silly cultist who was just imagining things. Sorry about that.

Anyway, hopefully CitizenCon's a better showing. Like a lot of others, Squadron 42 was all I was looking for in the first place.

It's what many of us want. Just a modern Wing Commander.

You'd think they would focus on that and just release it and if it ends up good, then they'd have earned a lot of goodwill back.

People are skeptical for good reason and long hope fast with presentations like these that show clearly they've lost sight of the development of the game.

I'm not interested in the facial shit when your game has trouble keeping up 30 frames in multiplayer and going up any ramp could give you an explosion.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Haven't kept with the most recent updates but wondering is there an ETA for Squadron 42 final release yet? Or are they still doing modular work and stitching together as they go along?
As others have mentioned, I'm definitely down for a kickass single player campaign first with crazy bells & whistles while they try to nail the MP/MMO aspect afterwards. With a very heavy emphasis on afterwards.

~Cross~

Haven't kept with the most recent updates but wondering is there an ETA for Squadron 42 final release yet? Or are they still doing modular work and stitching together as they go along?
As others have mentioned, I'm definitely down for a kickass single player campaign first with crazy bells & whistles while they try to nail the MP/MMO aspect afterwards. With a very heavy emphasis on afterwards.

No one fucking knows. Their site still says 2017 but 99% of the people in the community, even people with thousands of dollars in it, are coming to the conclusion that it wont be out this year.

It would be disastrous for them to not ship out SQ42 AND 3.0. They can do one or the other, and given that we haven't seen anything SQ42 related in two years we can be safe to assume that it wont be out this year. 3.0 will be rushed out by the end of the year if they have to.

Isn't SQ42 supposed basically be using the same engine, physic, flight model, etc as the actual Star Citizen, but for a single player campaign?

If that's the case then going by the Gamescom demo SQ42 isn't going to be ready anytime soon.

atbigelow

And i stopped reading here, sorry.
They could not, the problem is that making some codebase and expanding it with new features, especially features that drastically changes already created content/mechanics is way, way harder than making it from the ground up.

Thats why they still try to make the base codebase right and in expandable way.
This reads exactly like someone unfamiliar with the internals of the project regurgitating excuses they were fed as to why the internals of the project are fucked.

~Cross~

Isn't SQ42 supposed basically be using the same engine, physic, flight model, etc as the actual Star Citizen, but for a single player campaign?

If that's the case then going by the Gamescom demo SQ42 isn't going to be ready anytime soon.

Game runs fine when not under the strain of the servers, but I dont know if the issues with clipping are server related or general client positional errors that will follow the game offline. It can go both ways, the server might think that the player is going to a place it shouldnt be, force him out and then that causes the issues or it could be the client itself. If its the client then they are really fucked. If its the server then only SC is fucked but SQ42 can avoid it.

This reads exactly like someone unfamiliar with the internals of the project regurgitating excuses they were fed as to why the internals of the project are fucked.

You dont know anything about project management, game development, public relationships, consumer protection, etc.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
No one fucking knows. Their site still says 2017 but 99% of the people in the community, even people with thousands of dollars in it, are coming to the conclusion that it wont be out this year.

It would be disastrous for them to not ship out SQ42 AND 3.0. They can do one or the other, and given that we haven't seen anything SQ42 related in two years we can be safe to assume that it wont be out this year. 3.0 will be rushed out by the end of the year if they have to.
Damn, this does not paint a pretty picture. Thanks for the update.

WalTech

Welcome to every Star Citizen thread ever. We're all reading tea leaves based on what we can see, and no one TRULY knows what's going on. Everyone is confident that their interpretation is the correct one and that the other side is deluded.

I personally think it looks like a slow motion disaster, but that's just like, my opinion, man.

MattAces

Alright. Probably going to ask for a refund, then. I like to think I'm a man of my word and I said in the OT that if 3.0 didn't make late September like GAFers said it would I would get my money back.

Wait, you can request a refund? How easy will the procedure be? I heard it won't be that easy anymore.
If it's easy, or not too difficult, I would like to have my $45 back.

email CIG customer support and ask for a refund. they will send the funds to your PayPal account and your email+username will be permanently disabled.

Just saw this. I read that they stopped doing this awhile ago, is it still an easy procedure or do I have to give a bunch of reason.

Soi-Fong

That's the problem though. We don't know anything about SQ42, but from the Gamescom presentation clearly 3.0 isn't ready. Say the game comes out December. We're at the end of August and being a developer myself, no way in hell do they fix all that janky shit in just 3 months while still trying to add all the promised 3.0 features.

I mean the game is having trouble standing up on its own in a heavily controlled, purely scripted scenario where a slight deviation could lead to unforseen crashes.

ElyrionX

It's pretty clear the whole thing is a disaster. It's only the people who are emotionally or financially invested in it who are defending it.

I mean, the game sounds great. That footage of the capital ship landing and how people on the ground and in the air can look at all that stuff going on looked really really good. I would buy the game day one if it reviewed well.

And then that glitch with the buggy failing to get on the ramp happened. This was a demo prepared well in advance for a game that has raised more than $150m in funding and has spent so many years in development. All of that and they can't even make sure that a demo that will be shown to millions of people around the world is done perfectly? They didn't even do enough work in advance to know that the demo was completely fucked and switch to a video instead to avoid all that embarrassment? Instead, resources are being channeled into putting out all these fancy videos to advertise non-existent in-game assets and asking people to pay $2000 for them?

It's 100% clear this game isn't going to live up to its promises. It will be pretty amazing how much money they can raise before the welll runs dry though. Reading about the secondary market for limited edition ships is an eye-opener. I can't believe how well CIG has managed to manipulate people into giving them money based on distant promises and false hope.

MattAces

You can follow the guide at https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/ in the sidebar at the right.

Oh dude sweet.
Going to use the money for Yakuza.

When I first got into the game, it ran fine and everything is smooth, but now it's completely unplayable. Yea yea it's alpha, but since it will be in alpha for awhile, I won't be able to play it, kind of pointless to keep it.

Edit: Reading through the subreddit, seems like CIG aren't questioning or giving a lot of trouble for asking refunds. Kudos to them really. They've been active in providing development updates (whether it is progressing nicely), doing refunds and stuff. I'm so not used to refunds in my country.

WalTech

Oh dude sweet.
Going to use the money for Yakuza.

When I first got into the game, it ran fine and everything is smooth, but now it's completely unplayable. Yea yea it's alpha, but since it will be in alpha for awhile, I won't be able to play it, kind of pointless to keep it.

If it gets better later, I'm sure they won't refuse your money, either.

Jackpot

Banned
Edit: Reading through the subreddit, seems like CIG aren't questioning or giving a lot of trouble for asking refunds. Kudos to them really. They've been active in providing development updates (whether it is progressing nicely), doing refunds and stuff. I'm so not used to refunds in my country.

Kudos revoked. They held out on refunds until the FTC and LA Attorney General came down on them.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/07/14/star-citizen-refund/

Only after that did they adopt the no questions asked policy.

MattAces

Kudos revoked. They held out on refunds until the FTC and LA Attorney General came down on them.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/07/14/star-citizen-refund/

Only after that did they adopt the no questions asked policy.

Wow, damn. Definitely going to read through that.
But still, I was under the impression of them stopping refunding last year and after countless post or news about how CIG changed their T&C, I'm so lost. Hopefully I can get this $45 back easily.

MutFox

Banned
Been following the game from the beginning...
Though I haven't bought in yet.
Will wait till S42 is out.

Hope it's out in 2018.

Shy

I guess I have a decision to make, but I once again find myself incredibly disappointed. Game feels like it's aligning itself to be a jack of all trades...but I have no reason to believe that it will be anything but a master of nothing right now. I didn't want to watch the video for fear of disappointment, and the hostility in this thread tells me everything I needed to know about how well they did (or in this case didn't) do in what was apparently another demo that had a problematic showing.

Yea, I'm out. Fuck this nonsense.
If it's not too late. I'd say wait till the new year before asking for a refund.

I'm not gonna request a refund on this, because I do want to play it someday and I only pledged like $40. But the fact that 3.0 just keeps getting pushed and pushed and pushed and pushed is definitely frustrating. I don't care about the "it'll be better for the delay" argument. That's fine logic, but it doesn't make it any less frustrating to see them constantly miss their targets.

I'm not gonna request a refund on this, because I do want to play it someday and I only pledged like $40. But the fact that 3.0 just keeps getting pushed and pushed and pushed and pushed is definitely frustrating. I don't care about the "it'll be better for the delay" argument. That's fine logic, but it doesn't make it any less frustrating to see them constantly miss their targets.

I guess that for $40 it's probably not worth the hassle, but anyone thinking about refunds, don't forget that if the game comes out and is good, you can always buy it then.

Since i don't have much info , i'll have to ask:

What is the penality for death in star citizen ? Do i lose money ? Do i lose all my gear ? What happens if my ship is destroyed ? do i lose it forever ? is it still on my hangar ?

That was a mission to retrieve a black box , ok . if i fail do i just respawn to base ? or is it dynamic and there are no do-over ?

Can anyone point me toward a place so i could have an answer to those questions ?

Raticus79

Since i don't have much info , i'll have to ask:

What is the penality for death in star citizen ? Do i lose money ? Do i lose all my gear ? What happens if my ship is destroyed ? do i lose it forever ? is it still on my hangar ?

That was a mission to retrieve a black box , ok . if i fail do i just respawn to base ? or is it dynamic and there are no do-over ?

Can anyone point me toward a place so i could have an answer to those questions ?

For character death: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/12879-Death-Of-A-Spaceman (note this one's pretty old, so some other stuff in here has changed since then)

Ships are replaced via insurance similar to Elite (don't take off without it), although there may be a time delay before a lost ship is replaced due to supply, etc.

Not sure about the various conditions for missions being failed or expiring.

Top Bottom