• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Force Unleashed 2 preview

happyfunball said:
Just a bit of snooping and found the filepaths in the screenshots.xml file. :)

I'm interested in the process, PM me so that we don't get too off-topic. :)

Anyway, like pretty much all of Red Fly's games sans Mushroom Men IIRC, Steel Penny's playing a pretty decent role in the development:

http://www.steelpennygames.com/inde...w-projects-bearing-our-personal-touch....html

The Force Unleased 2 is due out in just a few months and by the way looks amazing. The Wii version, which we're helping Red Fly Studio with, is a completely Wii-ified experience that is not only better playing than most other Wii titles, but better looking than many next gen games. Kudos to the team! We've been working hard on this one since last October, and I'm happy to say it's one of the best titles on my resume. My particular focus has been writing the entire camera system from scratch--no small feat for a 3rd person game--but also handling some player controls and dynamic cinematics (you'll see). Jeff has been busy writing the multiplayer experience, which I personally believe is at the top of the pack when it comes to best party games on the platform. It's deeper than most other whole games, and it's just one mode in TFU2 Wii!

The studio's run by some ex-Naughty Dog folks (Edit: Or just one of them?), true that their own title Bruiser & Scratch wasn't that good, but these guys seem to be good at programming.

butsomuch

Force Unleashed Producer Resigns
Haden Blackman leaves studio after 13 years.

The executive producer and writer of the Force Unleashed videogame series, Haden Blackman, has resigned from LucasArts today after spending 13 years with the studio, the company confirmed to IGN.

Blackman has been credited with working on several titles over the years, including the Force Unleashed I and II, Star Wars: Galaxies, and Star Wars: Force Commander. He also helped write and produce a number of Star Wars books and comics.

"I've had a fantastic time working with the team at Lucasfilm and am really grateful for their ongoing support," Blackman said in a statement.

"While the decision to leave LucasArts did not happen overnight or come easily, I really feel that now is the best time for me to move on and explore new creative challenges and I look forward to the next phase of my career."

The Force Unleashed II is currently set for release this October. A LucasArts representative said Blackman's departure will not affect the game's development.

netguy503

spats said:
Always a good sign when staff starts leaving the studio before the game ships.

As long as the story is written and done (that's what drew me to the first game) and most of the bigger stuff is out of the way (which it should be by now) then I'm fine with this. This DOESN'T look good for Force Unleashed III or the DLC for this game though. :(

heringer

I wonder if Red Fly studios will use the pointer for Force control. They did something similar with that Mushroom game, so who knows.

Ryu

spats said:

With dev cycles being what they are, I imagine the game is already properly built and just needs some polish.

The unfortunate thing here is Blackman's departure from Lucasfilms. I feel he had a better grasp on what Star Wars was about then Lucas did.

Dead

well not really...yet
spats said:
He was announced as the co-writer of the upcoming Batwoman comic book a few months ago. Maybe he wants to move on from videogames?

heringer

Hero of Legend said:
http://www.lucasarts.com/games/theforceunleashed2/game/index.html

The main site has the same Wii shots at higher-res, can someone rip them? I've been trying EVERYTHING but nada. :(
86141520100730_020542_5_big.jpg

86141520100730_020542_1_big.jpg

86141520100730_020542_4_big.jpg

86141520100730_020541_0_big.jpg

86141520100730_020542_2_big.jpg

86141520100730_020542_3_big.jpg

Looking good. I wonder how similar it will be to the HD version this time. The first game was a huge disappointment to me (on the Wii). Here's hoping Red Fly does a better job than Krome.

EDarkness

heringer said:
Looking good. I wonder how similar it will be to the HD version this time. The first game was a huge disappointment to me (on the Wii). Here's hoping Red Fly does a better job than Krome.

I get the feeling the Wii version is gonna be fairly bare bones. All of the new announcements they're making (new characters, preorder bonuses, modes, etc.) aren't for the Wii it seems. I do wish companies would try to get the versions as close as possible or put the same amount of love into each version of the game. Either way, I enjoyed the last game on the Wii and will pick this one up as long as the controls are good.

heringer

EDarkness said:
I get the feeling the Wii version is gonna be fairly bare bones. All of the new announcements they're making (new characters, preorder bonuses, modes, etc.) aren't for the Wii it seems. I do wish companies would try to get the versions as close as possible or put the same amount of love into each version of the game. Either way, I enjoyed the last game on the Wii and will pick this one up as long as the controls are good.
It's a shame there's no M+ support though.

But I'm hoping for at least pointer control for force powers this time. The two last Red Fly's games (Mushroom Men and Ghostbusters) used pointer control, so I guess there's a good chance of that happening in TFU2 too.

Yasae

Banned
butsomuch said:
Looking good. Holy smokes at those cloth physics (especially 0:36.) It seems they now allow you to block incoming blaster fire (0:50) while walking... Was that in the first game? Because it was a huge turnoff in the demo I played.

Putting in dismemberment and half-assing it seems way worse than not having it at all. If you only cut off limbs every now and then it suggests that 90% of your strikes are just missing. I'd rather they left it as a lightsabre-reminiscent beam of light that clips through things rather than turning it into an actual lightsabre that just doesn't work.

I don't know, it seems alright. I still enjoy throwing things around with The Force but nothing suggests they've fixed the clumsy combat system.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Looks a lot better than the first game. Combat looks much smoother and the added dismemberment goes some way towards rectifying the baseball bat saber of the first game. It all looks very stupid but at least it looks fun.

I don't know, it seems alright. I still enjoy throwing things around with The Force but nothing suggests they've fixed the clumsy combat system.

I hope they offer a demo. They claim the combat is better but I want to see for myself.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Man, can't get tired of the graphics of this game.

I enjoyed the first, this one seems to be just more awesome. I hope the combo system is a bit more free like DMC/Bayonetta and not so stiff like GOW/NG. But I will have to wait and see how they improve the gameplay this time around.

glaurung

Really liking what I see in the IGN preview.

New targeting highlight - better than the first game.
Mind trick - awesome.
Reduced force lightning effect - not so sure.

Definitely an impressive preview. I liked the first game a lot and now I cannot wait for the sequel.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Damn that preview looked excellent. I was sold at the triple decap. They took advantage of my fond memories of Jedi Knight 2 with the dismemberment cheats.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
RavenFox said:
Very impressive. PS3 gameplay eh and I'm sure Phys-X on PC will turn the physics into overdrive.
I hope they stay the hell away from Physx on PC. Euphoria is more than powerful enough to deliver an impressive physics display.

Loxley

Dismemberments making a grand return? Christ finally. I felt like I was hitting Stormtroopers with a nerf bat in TFU1

Ikkarus

Loxley said:
Dismemberments making a grand return? Christ finally. I felt like I was hitting Stormtroopers with a nerf bat in TFU1
Tell me about it.

The preview looks rather good. Has there been any word on the Special edition making it's way over to Europe?

I can't seem to find a store here that has it up for pre-order. :(

Stallion Free said:
Damn that preview looked excellent. I was sold at the triple decap. They took advantage of my fond memories of Jedi Knight 2 with the dismemberment cheats.

Dismemberment cheat + slow-mo kill with panning camera = epic. My favourite was cutting an enemy in half at the waist and when the slow-mo kicked in, using Force Push to send the body parts flying. :lol

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Lone_Prodigy said:
Dismemberment cheat + slow-mo kill with panning camera = epic. My favourite was cutting an enemy in half at the waist and when the slow-mo kicked in, using Force Push to send the body parts flying. :lol
My personal favorite was cutting off a hand so they dropped to their knees holding the wrist and then decapitating them. In slow mo.

DodgerSan

Yasae said:
Looking good. Holy smokes at those cloth physics (especially 0:36.) It seems they now allow you to block incoming blaster fire (0:50) while walking... Was that in the first game? Because it was a huge turnoff in the demo I played.

Yeah he would deflect when walking or standing still. It got better as your powers improved, but may not have been developed in the demo.

Furret

Banned
Lone_Prodigy said:

It is so depressing to hear nonsense like this in a Star Wars game.

Has there ever been a game that was actually tonally similar to the original films?

All the emo expanded universe drivel in The Force Unleashed is just embarrassing.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Furret said:

Has there ever been a game that was actually tonally similar to the original films?
Come on man, must you suck the fun out of videogames? Jedi Knight II was fucking amazing and the cheat was optional.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Furret said:

All the emo expanded universe drivel in The Force Unleashed is just embarrassing.

I would agree except TFU lets you be a Force Asshole and that is insanely entertaining.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Furret said:

I can just imagine a game like that... that would be kinda boring for an action/hack&slash game.

If you want that, go and play some SW RTS or MMORPG, there are plenty of those out there for purist of the franchise. This game is about awesomeness and over the top SW stuff, and I'm happy with that.

Furret

Banned
Littleberu said:
Star Wars Galaxies.

Erf.

Actually, now I come to think about it there never has really been a Star Wars game that was really like... Star Wars.

Something that focused on both characters and hardware, and was filled with space pirates and space monkeys - not teenage angst.

Even the X-wing/TIE Fighter games were more like the books than the films.

How is that even possible after all these years?

ACH1LL3US

Stallion Free said:
Crosses fingers for 60 fps unlocked and AA support on PC.

You may have your fingers crossed for a long time... don't think its going to happen to be honest. Also are pc gamers gonna get slammed with a 60 gig game?? I hope this isn't a gimped pc version like the last one... becauase at 1080p with gobs of AA and over 60 fps would make this game look pretty EPIC!

Furret said:

Maybe the movie tie-in's were tonally similar? TPM and ROTS?

Top Bottom