• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Force Unleashed 2 preview

WillyFive

Game Videos is garbage, but from what I could see, the story seems to be gearing up to try to live up to the first one, which is great!

Pooya

Willy105 said:
Game Videos is garbage, but from what I could see, the story seems to be gearing up to try to live up to the first one, which is great!
What was great about the story in the first game?

G-Fex

This seems like the worst thing to happen to SW games since those clone wars games for the Wii. Or all those Episode 1 games. :lol :lol

Pooya

G-Fex said:
This seems like the worst thing to happen to SW games since those clone wars games for the Wii. Or all those Episode 1 games. :lol :lol
I liked this one :(
SWracer.jpg

Kagari said:
Nothing. It was absolute trash.

I believe it was canon (and Lucas-approved), at least the light-side ending was (
where Starkiller died because you know, Vader is in the trilogy
). Of course now with the sequel I wonder if the story is even canon anymore. This one just looks like "let's cram all the famous SW characters for fan-service and do more crazy stuff and leave it open for a trilogy".

I'd rather have another Jedi Knight game.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Kagari said:
Nothing. It was absolute trash.

It wasn't that bad, I think it was acceptable and sometimes good. Could had been better told, sure, but I think
Starkiller been the responsible of the Rebellion creation
was not a bad twist. I mean, heck, Episode 3 is worse than this IMO. :lol

While it's good to see Yoda back in crazy little trickster mode, whoever wrote his dialogue just doesn't get it. There's a rhythm to his speech in V and VI that isn't present in the Prequels, and it's even worse here. It's like they just jumble up the words willy nilly. And if I see that ridiculous lightsabre of his I am out. OUT. I still can't unsee that clusterfuck of awfulness, no matter how hard I try.

I found TFU 1's story sort of enjoyable, but I never for a moment considered it actual Star Wars canon. It was at its best in the DLC packs where you're throwing Luke into the path of Snowspeeders and killing Old Ben only to fight his fucking ghost a few seconds later :lol

Yasae said:
Sometimes, but not everybody is permanently employed.
Its definitely not a good sign if the reports are true-- that the new head of LucasArts cancelled Force Unleashed 3.

Fucccccccccccck. Why'd the previous guy have to leave? He was so awesome for us gamers and in a short amount of time he restored the brand. Seems like Meegan is shitting all over that legacy already, and we'll be back to the shitty LucasArts in no time.

CaVaYeRo

We've been playing @ Gamescom, got some details:

http://www.revogamers.net/noticias/cgc10-aprendiz-darth-vader-mejora-sus-talentos-5408.html

- More solid graphics. Using own Red Fly engine. They're exclusively working on this version, no other.
- Pointer now included in controls. Aim you powers with it. Now you can pick enemies, drag them around the screen and throw them by shaking (force frip).
- More fluid combat

I think those are the E3 screens, but we've just taken some video on the game. It'll be edited soon.

The story in this series has been awful. Played the sequel at Celebration V last week and it seemed to be a better game though. Visuals were much more solid and smooth, and the controls felt better overall, but only got to try it out briefly.

Lone_Prodigy said:
I believe it was canon (and Lucas-approved), at least the light-side ending was (
where Starkiller died because you know, Vader is in the trilogy
). Of course now with the sequel I wonder if the story is even canon anymore. This one just looks like "let's cram all the famous SW characters for fan-service and do more crazy stuff and leave it open for a trilogy".

I'd rather have another Jedi Knight game.

All books, comics, games are "lucas approved", the canon is still EU though.

Anything outside the movies and his produced Clone Wars stuff is expanded material.

bill0527

I bought the PS3 version of TFU and finished it like 2 days after it was released. There was nothing really special that I could remember about the game, other than it was decent at best.

I'm running through the Xbox 360 version right now and I think the sequel may have potential if they fix the following things:

- Lots of screen tearing, at least on the 360 version. I don't remember if it was this bad on PS3
- The controls feel a little too "flighty" and not natural, even for a Jedi. Not even sure if I can articulate what I mean by flighty. The animations of The Apprentice need to be a little more fluid and not so blocky or unnatural looking.
- Fewer textures, make them more detailed, in the case of this game, less would be more, especially when you're fighting on those junk or droid worlds. The texturing just makes everything look the same on some of those levels

I haven't hit any major technical bugs yet and I didn't hit any on the PS3 version, but I've read from a lot of people who have.

Monocle

Yoda? God, just tell me TFU2's story isn't canon. I'll still play the game, of course, but the knowledge that I'm not further screwing Star Wars's thoroughly ravished corpse as I do so would greatly sweeten the experience.

heringer

Monocle said:
Yoda? God, just tell me TFU2's story isn't canon. I'll still play the game, of course, but the knowledge that I'm not further screwing Star Wars's thoroughly ravished corpse as I do so would greatly sweeten the experience.
I loved the story of the first one, but this one feels kinda forced. Starkiller clone training with Yoda on Dagobah, just like Luke? Yeah, feels forced.

The first one is cannon though, so I expect this will be too.

Monocle said:

There is no such thing as canon outside of what GL specifically makes. The books, comics, and games have been running around the universe doing whatever they want for over 2 decades now.

heringer said:
The first one is cannon though, so I expect this will be too.

They are no more canon than the old Marvel comic books, which were "Lucas approved" as well. Outside of his movies and tv stuff, anything star wars is approved by LFL. There is nothing about TFU that is any different than any other Star Wars video game when it comes to "canon"

Zenith

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
They are no more canon than the old Marvel comic books, which were "Lucas approved" as well. Outside of his movies and tv stuff, anything star wars is approved by LFL. There is nothing about TFU that is any different than any other Star Wars video game when it comes to "canon"

except that at the beginning of TFU's development Lucas specified it was "Lucas approved" but not canon, but as it progressed he turned it to "Lucas approved" and canon.

WillyFive

CaVaYeRo said:

I never thought point and click would be a good substitute for MotionPlus, but this doesn't seem half bad at all.

miladesn said:
What was great about the story in the first game?

Seriously?

It was the best canon Star Wars story since The Empire Strikes Back.

It was always interesting, full of twists and turns, with great characters and great insight on Darth Vader and the Emperor.

It was the perfect Star Wars story.

Zenith said:
except that at the beginning of TFU's development Lucas specified it was "Lucas approved" but not canon, but as it progressed he turned it to "Lucas approved" and canon.

Welcome to the world of LFL marketing speech. They say the exact same things about all the recent books too, and how he specifically decides story elements and approves of every publication first.

The TFU is no more "canon" than the hundreds of Lucas approved books and comics.

vareon

Isn't it always lucas-approved, canon, etc etc until Lucas decided to screw it later in the future if he wishes to?

The story was entertaining, however.

vareon said:
Isn't it always lucas-approved, canon, etc etc until Lucas decided to screw it later in the future if he wishes to?

The story was entertaining, however.

Yup. They made a big deal of Lucas approval with TFU because it was one of the first SW games to really meddle and mix itself into the events of the movies. They had to get approval by LFL just like any of the books and comics that do the same. Many SW games never do more than get approved by some continuity editors or LFL big wigs because it's just a game. TFU tried to play around with characters and in relation to the events of the movies so it had to get the big cheese approval.

It was also a big part of the marketing hype for the game, which no SW game has gotten as much hype as TFU... they had toys and shit already a year ahead of the games release out.

Recent novel for example where they wanted to kill a specific character, Lucas said no, and told them who to kill instead, so they had to change their story. Did he read the actual novel? Unlikely, he just checks off or approves of specific story outlines presented to him by his people.

BattleMonkey said:
Recent novel for example where they wanted to kill a specific character, Lucas said no, and told them who to kill instead, so they had to change their story. Did he read the actual novel? Unlikely, he just checks off or approves of specific story outlines presented to him by his people.

Is that when they wanted to kill off
Luke, but GL said no? I guess they decided to off Mara instead.

Lone_Prodigy said:
Is that when they wanted to kill off
Luke, but GL said no? I guess they decided to off Mara instead.

No when they wanted to kill
Jacen, but he made them change it to Anakin Solo. They already said they can't kill Luke and that it has to be written specifically how by GL when they do it.

BattleMonkey said:
No when they wanted to kill
Jacen, but he made them change it to Anakin Solo. They already said they can't kill Luke and that it has to be written specifically how by GL when they do it.

Meh
moot point since Jacen bit the bullet anyway

Giolon

Lone_Prodigy said:
Meh
moot point since Jacen bit the bullet anyway

The entire Legacy of the Force novel arc invalidated 90% of what came before in the New Jedi Order arc. It pissed me off enough to stop caring about the Del Rey-based EU.

So far, the Dark Horse comics haven't let me down yet, other than them ending KOTOR and Legacy. :(

ILikeFeet

Banned
Willy105 said:
Seriously?

It was always interesting, full of twists and turns, with great characters and great insight on Darth Vader and the Emperor.

The Clone Wars and Clone Wars (yes, 2 different series) were both good :D

Seriously?

I'd say it's one of the worst. And the sequel looks to build upon the nonsense that was the first.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I'd say it's one of the worst. And the sequel looks to build upon the nonsense that was the first.

They wouldn't have been as bad if set in a different setting/period of the universe, the main problem is they are trying to jam these games over the top stories into the movies territory too much. Starkiller clone hanging out with Yoda now... wtf? Ugh lame.

Giolon said:
The entire Legacy of the Force novel arc invalidated 90% of what came before in the New Jedi Order arc. It pissed me off enough to stop caring about the Del Rey-based EU.

So far, the Dark Horse comics haven't let me down yet, other than them ending KOTOR and Legacy. :(

Not really, the ramifications of NJO are an important part of what is going on in LOTF and FOTJ, Jacen's story is the only one that got twisted around the most with meddling from different editors, authors, and Lucas himself.

And the Legacy comics aren't over yet, theres a mini series coming out to finish off that series properly.

They'd be absolutely moronic not to release it on the Wii. We're not talking about a niche franchise here, its a pretty big brand and the first part done wonders on the Wii.

Top Bottom