• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Kinect was worked on by 10 teams, 200+ people

FMWTR.gif

Not sure really, I think that Lucas has to at least approve most stuff. He approved the Star Wars Family Guy episodes and what not. I'd imagine with there being such a cross promotion with this he must get something.

He gives approval for things but really often has no say in the final product or have to approve it. He's probably never seen the Star Wars Kinect game outside of the concept proposition put forth by Lucasarts to sign off on.

Steaks

I don't know what you guys are talking about, this game looks amazing. I mean, it's not for a good reason, but wow.

Wish I had a kinect for this.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
200 people approved THIS ?

What is this awesome shit. It's hilarious not quite as good as the dancing storm troopers but still good. I'm pretty sure most well known franchises get awful comedic products released, lighten up and enjoy the awkwardly funny. Groaning about it ain't gonna do shit.

You probably won't see at least five of those studios around next year. Poor TR.

But I honestly can't see this as being anything but the biggest disappointment for consumers since the ET/Pac-Man 2600 double punch. That's so much money and time wasted on a project that wasn't sailing smoothly once, since the day Kinect was conceived.

LEGO Star Wars is one thing. Kids love LEGOs. TT is dedicated to the craft of making LEGO games now, so those are fine.

But passing this off to kids? That might be breaking the stretching point.

This is like the video game equivalent of Konami's E3 Press Conferences.

I thought watching that piece of shit Starkiller kill Han in FUII dlc was awful. But seeing Han popping elbows and sliding...fuck.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
The 10 studios/200 people makes sense for a mini game collection type thing. It was probably done in a short amount of time too. They also may be counting "working on it" as teams just handing over content from other games, no reason to make another set of laser sounds.
Apparently Terminal Reality worked on the game for three years.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
...one year, my friend got for his birthday one of those cheapy "plug-and-play" knockoff games machines made by Tiger Electronics (pretty much a reskin of the plug-and-play Dragon Quest Sword game available in Japan). Here's a video of it.

That £5 novelty item was literally more deserving of the "gaming" classifier than this multi-team, designed-by-committee, shallow, broken, over-marketed piece of shit can ever hope to be. And that's compared to a Tiger Electronics toy. That's not even remotely excusable.

(In fact, I want to go over to his house to play it again now.)

JWong

Banned
Since it will probably sell plenty of copies (and Kinects) its money well spent as far as they're concerned.

Doesn't matter about how much it sells.

A shit game like this can be done with less people. It's just a clusterfuck of management.

watership

I thought watching that piece of shit Starkiller kill Han in FUII dlc was awful. But seeing Han popping elbows and sliding...fuck.

You all need to get over yourselves. So offended that a game isn't for you. I saw this bring played at the Toronto kinect store and it looked like a lot of fun. The people playing seemed to like it alot.

Lucas won't give a crap about the "dignity" of his franchise when he's too busy trying to stay afloat in the sea of cash this game is about to bring him.

Tookay

Imagine what we could have had with this many people and this kind of budget.

Jedi Knight
Battlefront
X-Wing/TIE Fighter
A decent Wii Motion-Plus lightsaber game

Instead...

statham

I know its hard to imagine, but maybe this game wasn't made for the core audience, but for kids and their fathers who grew up in the starwars era.

Besides the already stated sadness that this video presents, why is the song so lazy in its lyrics? If you are going to take a pop song and change it, then actually change it. There is entire parts of the song that are identical to the original.

tuffy

I know its hard to imagine, but maybe this game wasn't made for the core audience, but for kids and their fathers who grew up in the starwars era.
Kids and their fathers who grew up watching Star Wars wanted to pilot an X-Wing down the Death Star trench, or fight Darth Vader with a lightsaber. I don't think they had dancing wookies in mind.

It may still sell because, hey, it's Star Wars. But I don't think it's what the fans were looking for.

statham

Kids and their fathers who grew up watching Star Wars wanted to pilot an X-Wing down the Death Star trench, or fight Darth Vader with a lightsaber. I don't think they had dancing wookies in mind.

It may still sell because, hey, it's Star Wars. But I don't think it's what the fans were looking for.
so what games would you play with your son or daughter.

statham

danicing wookies is a small part of this game. and looks like alot of fun. are you ignoring everything else?

edit: and why are people so serious in these games, dancing storm troopers? ya thats funny to me. I also recently found Vader riding a rollercoaster on reddit and I LOL, or the mini Vader in a VW commercial was funny.

Because all fathers from the Star Wars era want to dance to shitty remixes(?) of songs with Star Wars references in them.

Because all kids want to play is Dance Central and thus it has to be incorporated everywhere to appeal to them.

Because there's no such thing as LEGO Star Wars or whatever to give that family-friendly alternative that everyone can enjoy.

Because this can't be just a shitty cash in.

Appealing to kids is great! But there's no need to insult them or the fans; and have ridiculous, out of place things smashed into the game just to make sure they're checking off that undoubtedly-PR-influenced box. You can make things for kids, but you don't always have to dumb things down for them either.

Top Bottom