• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Kinect was worked on by 10 teams, 200+ people

Bowdz

ib0HcA14Dce4BB.gif

I swear, I have gotten more enjoyment out of the kinect gifs and Star Wars Kinect gifs than most games I bought last year. I was literally brought to tears in the last Star Wars thread. As for the 200+ people, not surprising considering the clusterfuck the game turned into.

Striek

Too many cooks spoils the broth? Though realistically its doubtful most of those teams and people worked primarily on Star Wars Kinect.

I don't think this will be successful at all. Better looking licenced kinect games focused on younger audiences (Disneyland Adventures and Sesame Street) failed to be the successes people assumed they would be. This looks much worse than either of them and has the franchises core fans off-side..

tuffy

so what games would you play with your son or daughter.
When I was a kid I enjoyed the original Star Wars arcade game, vector graphics and all. ~20 years later, I entertained a gaggle of kids with that same game at my college's student union. It's not only a game that lets you be a hero from the movies, but it's also a great game period.
danicing wookies is a small part of this game. and looks like alot of fun. are you ignoring everything else?
Maybe it is a lot of fun, but what does it have to do with Star Wars? Fans of the franchise always used to have games that were great in their own right. But a Star Wars skin on a Kinect dancing title is the sort of thing a team would throw in when nothing else works, and that's just sad.

statham

Because all fathers from the Star Wars era want to dance to shitty remixes(?) of songs with Star Wars references in them.

Because all kids want to play is Dance Central and thus it has to be incorporated everywhere to appeal to them.

Because there's no such thing as LEGO Star Wars or whatever to give that family-friendly alternative that everyone can enjoy.

Because this can't be just a shitty cash in.

Appealing to kids is great! But there's no need to insult them or the fans; and have ridiculous, out of place things smashed into the game just to make sure they're checking off that undoubtedly-PR-influenced box. You can make things for kids, but you don't always have to dumb things down for them either.
I disagree with pretty much with everything in this post. 4-5 year old games should be dumb-down. this isn't a game I'm playing by myself, its a game for me and my kid. I've only played 1 lego game, but they seem for a older kid to play the game themselves. maybe I'm wrong.

Agent X

Because all fathers from the Star Wars era want to dance to shitty remixes(?) of songs with Star Wars references in them.

Because all kids want to play is Dance Central and thus it has to be incorporated everywhere to appeal to them.

Because there's no such thing as LEGO Star Wars or whatever to give that family-friendly alternative that everyone can enjoy.

Because this can't be just a shitty cash in.

Appealing to kids is great! But there's no need to insult them or the fans; and have ridiculous, out of place things smashed into the game just to make sure they're checking off that undoubtedly-PR-influenced box. You can make things for kids, but you don't always have to dumb things down for them either.

This is a good point.

It's possible to make a game that appeals to a wide variety of gamers. It can be fun and accessible for novices, yet also have challenging and involved gameplay for veteran players.

There have been numerous Star Wars games over the years, and the quality has been all over the map. This one, though, immediately comes off looking like a flat-out flagrant cash grab.

I've noticed there are no reviews on the Web yet. I've got a feeling they've put an embargo in place until after the game is released. You gotta love that.

Yuripaw

Banned
I disagree with pretty much with everything in this post. 4-5 year old games should be dumb-down. this isn't a game I'm playing by myself, its a game for me and my kid. I've only played 1 lego game, but they seem for a older kid to play the game themselves. maybe I'm wrong.

Bull shit! When I was that age, when I was 5, I got the NES bundle with Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt, and before that I was playing atari/commodore 64 games. SMB is a game that I still have difficulty playing today as an adult, but that didn't stop me from having fun. In fact, the only time I ever beat it was when I was a kid. Kids are not as stupid as parents keep thinking they are. They learn faster than adults do.

In that case then, what about edutainment games? The V-Tech and Leapfrog and whatnot? That seems more in line with what you might want. Maybe not, I'm not you. I personally had Pokemon Stadium back then.

But keep in mind, Kinect Star Wars is rated Teen. This is not a 4-5 year old's game.

ESRB rating description:
In this action game, based on the Star Wars universe, players use their body movements to perform activities that include dance tournaments, podracing, and Jedi duels. In some mini-games, players use light sabers and telekinetic powers to battle fantastical creatures (e.g., aliens and robots) in melee-style combat; enemies collapse to the ground when killed. In one sequence, players assume a first-person perspective to shoot down alien spaceships—these frenetic battles are accompanied by laser fire and large explosions. Another sequence allows players to control a giant creature that rampages through city streets to attack civilians; cries of pain and crunching sounds can be heard as humanoid characters are thrown, stomped on, and eaten. In the dancing mini-game, some female characters perform suggestive moves (e.g., gyrating their hips/buttocks) and wear revealing outfits (partially exposed cleavage/buttocks). The words “damn” and “hell” can be heard in the dialogue.

This isn't for an intended target audience of five year olds and even then, I'd argue that the dancing minigame is still pointless and dumb. It's for teenagers and the older generation of Star Wars fans. At that age, fans most likely would start to expect the subject matter to be taken seriously, and not finding out that significant dev time was put into said minigame.

From what I've heard and played of the LEGO Star Wars games myself, they are perfect to play co-op so younger kids can mess around while someone who has a better grip of things keeps things moving.

Point is, the intended audience for this game is Teenage-level at least. The dancing minigame, in my opinon, isn't fit for that crowd.

EDIT: As a note, all the LEGO Star Wars games are either rated E or E10+.

Box

I don't buy that this game is particularly kids or casual oriented.

Star Wars is nerdy. I don't think it could ever appeal to "casuals". Casuals don't like the stigma of games. They don't like getting into them or having fun unless it's socially acceptable. Star Wars is just too much of a leap.

And kids. Yeah, no. Maybe ages 4 and under, but anyone kid who is into Star Wars would want to play something like Battlefront. Kids like shooters, especially kids who are into science fiction fantasies about shooting people and swinging swords. That and kids over the age of 6 generally have some amount of taste. They wouldn't want to play a bad game.

Nah, Star Wars in general is for kids. Or really, it's 'all ages'. There's nothing about it that a kid would have trouble getting into. The movies are rated PG. The games are never rated anything higher than T. There's even Lego Star Wars.

I know I didn't need Star Wars Kinect or anything like it to get into Star Wars when I was a kid.

Maybe it'll sell a million units if they market it hard and get enough sales before word of mouth kills it. But I don't think this is really appealing to anyone.

pbhawks45

Banned
Embarassing for everyone involved. Only one question remains for those of us unfortunate enough to have witnessed this abomination. Seppuku or self-immolation?

Great fucking question. I try to keep some perspective here, because this won't ruin Star Wars any more than the prequels have, but come the fuck on.

This....this is embarrassing. This is the best they could come up with? WHAT.

I don't think you understand the term cash-in. For a product being worked on for over three years now with over 200 people, regardless of the license, it is not a cash-in.

I think that, originally, Terminal Reality had a good vision set. The design documents likely had nothing of the Dance Central stuff.

However, development hit snags, and in most cases these types of snags would end development of most games. But Microsoft, desperate for a really good/brand name/"Killer App" Kinect title kept throwing more money and more people at it, enlisting other development studios into it.

And as time went on, new features kept being added. As more people kept hopping on, so did more ideas. And Microsoft/LucasArts likely greenlighted them because of MS's situation above (and Lucas just doesn't care). It became more diluted and deviant from its original design in an attempt to appeal to more, to be seen as the game that has everything. To appeal to the most people. Most likely in an attempt to make as much profit from this as possible and recoup the three years worth of dev time.

My guess is that they had a bit more creative freedom than normal and, instead of going the SEGA route of the Dreamcast days and being awesome, they decided to put out this game that hasn't impressed for a long time now.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Just curious--how many in here have actually played the game?

hym

Banned
Kudo Tsunoda:
We just want to bring the most authentic Star Wars experience to the people who truly love Star Wars

An experience in which Han Solo dances with his Imperial captors in the very same facility where he gets sealed away in carbonite... I honestly have no idea what authentic means anymore.

Top Bottom