• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Cystm

As someone who loves Star Wars, typically only games on consoles and has never played an MMO, how hard is it to get into this? The recent F2P announcement and a $10 pricetag at Toys R Us has me seriously considering this.

You can play as a Chiss Imperial Agent!

All joking aside, I feel like the others in that: If you liked the console KotORs you should check it out for free to level 15 just to get a taste of what the game is like.

You should note that level 15 for some classes is not going to be all that great. Avoid the Councilor class story at all costs. Check out the Imperial Agent, Bounty Hunter, Smuggler, or Sith classes for that level range. The other classes don't pick up until chapter two and beyond.

GAF is rolling strong on the Jedi Covenant Server. If you do check the game out, I encourage you to roll on that server and /who GAF and ask anyone to give you an invite (Both factions have a GAF guild).

It would be nice to get an invite from UltraMav if you do check the game out, so he can get this awesome speeder:
iK4C5Itz27Vfs.jpg

I spat out my drink.

:)

Heysoos

Happy to see they were on the ball with this patch:

1.4.1 Patch Notes

10/9/2012
Classes and Combat
Jedi Consular
Shadow
Kinetic Combat

Stasis no longer prevents Force Lift from breaking on damage and making its target take less damage.

Sith Inquisitor
Assassin
Darkness

Eye of the Storm no longer prevents Whirlwind from breaking on damage and making its target take less damage.

Companion Characters
General

Companions now respect “hide helmet” settings in cinematics and when speaking.

Companions
Xalek

The “Unify Color” option now works with Xalek’s Pants in combination with Neophyte Robe.

Crew Skills
General

Crew Skill Missions now return the correct (higher) amount of materials.
Players can no longer consume schematics that they already know.

Flashpoints and Operations
Flashpoints
Maelstrom Prison

Grand Moff Kilran’s Fifth Fleet Troopers and Gunners now correctly despawn if the player group is defeated.

The False Emperor

Jindo Krey’s ship can now be properly destroyed.

Operations
Explosive Conflict

Calibrating Shot (used by Imperial Siege Droids) now reduces damage taken by a smaller amount per stack.

Eternity Vault

The correct (higher) amount of Rakata and Columi tokens is now dropped in 16-player modes of Eternity Vault.

Karagga’s Palace

The correct (higher) amount of Rakata and Columi tokens is now dropped in 16-player modes of Karagga’s Palace.

Terror from Beyond

Killing a tentacle while the Terror from Beyond is enraged in phase 2 now properly damages the boss for 5% of its health instead of 15%.
In 16-player Hard Mode, the Terror from Beyond’s enrage timer has been increased to 9 minutes.
The Tunneling Tentacle buff on the Terror from Beyond no longer appears in Story Mode.

Group Finder

Players are no longer able to revive in place while in a Group Finder Operation or Flashpoint.
Personal starships now remain docked at their previous location when the player returns from a Group Finder instance after traveling to it from their ship.

Items

The Marauder’s Battlemaster head piece no longer allows body type 3 heads to clip through it.

Legacy

Elements of the Legacy panel now update without needing the player to log out and back in.

Missions and NPCs
General

Weekly missions can now be acquired consistently.

Missions
Hoth

Keeping Secrets: This bonus mission now properly grants experience.

Jedi Consular

Chaos and Harmony: Syo now attacks players correctly.

PvP
Warzones
General

Same-faction matches now play the correct voiceovers.

Alderaan Civil War

Players hit by a knockback while riding a taxi are no longer occasionally killed instantly.

Voidstar

Voidstar matches no longer occasionally end early and grant a win to the incorrect team.

UI
General

Players can once again right-click names in chat to open the context menu.
The “Hide Helmet” option is no longer located in the preferences. It can be accessed via the character window.

Galactic Trade Network

The GTN now interprets multi-word searches using “and” instead of “or,” returning narrower results as intended.
Items on the GTN can now be properly filtered by the Strength stat.

Miscellaneous Bug Fixes

Corrected an issue that caused some female Mirialan characters’ eyeballs to be visible through their eyelids when blinking.
Corrected a very rare issue that could cause the incorrect character to be deleted. This could only occur when a player deleted a character immediately after renaming it such that it moved in the character select list due to alphabetization.
Grouped characters can no longer become stuck on another player’s starship.

Milly79

I’ve just got off the phone to Bioware’s Customer Service (00800 0246 9273) and have discovered a few things about the FPS/Stutter issues facing so many of us. Apparently, the solution is taking so long as Bioware are trying to recreate the glitch, in order to analyse it themselves. Their technical support group where incorrectly informed that the FPS issue would be addressed in today’s patch. There is another patch due next Tuesday (16th October) which addresses more 1.4 issues.

HAHAHAHAHH

Here's to another week of hardly playing.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
On the one hand, I am interested in checking the game out again when F2P goes live, but on the other I'm kind of worried about the F2P design/model being kind of onerous with it's limitations. I mean, my level 50 character might as well not exist it seems, and I doubt the HK-51 questline will be available F2P, which is something I'm very interested in.

I really like the DDO F2P model. Quite a bit of content is locked out initially, but permanently unlocking classes, races, quest/dungeons areas, etc, can be done either via money or currency that can be earned at a reasonable rate in-game. Details, as far as I can find, have been pretty sparse both in terms of how the Cartel Coin unlocks will function (x coins permanently unlocks x feature on the account across all servers, like DDO?), and how (if at all) they can be earned via in-game actions.

On the one hand, I am interested in checking the game out again when F2P goes live, but on the other I'm kind of worried about the F2P design/model being kind of onerous with it's limitations. I mean, my level 50 character might as well not exist it seems, and I doubt the HK-51 questline will be available F2P, which is something I'm very interested in.

I really like the DDO F2P model. Quite a bit of content is locked out initially, but permanently unlocking classes, races, quest/dungeons areas, etc, can be done either via money or currency that can be earned at a reasonable rate in-game. Details, as far as I can find, have been pretty sparse both in terms of how the Cartel Coin unlocks will function (x coins permanently unlocks x feature on the account across all servers, like DDO?), and how (if at all) they can be earned via in-game actions.

Well they are giving away all 8 class leveling experiences away for free which is quite a good deal in itself. And if you played before were getting cartel coins for it. We of course still have to see what costs what so it's early to tell how good a deal it will be. Bunch of guildies looking to return hope that they can use their saved up cartel coins for a permanent operations or warzone unlock on their characters.

HBroward

Wow, it is actually real set bonus campaign armorings! Someone posted the following prices:
Boots = 36 Gloves = 36 Head = 44 Jacket = 44 Legs = 40

I guess those are fair prices considering you still need mods and enhancements to fully flesh out the gear.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
The new daily area is really cool looking! It's at night too so it's a nice change. The art team is doing some great work lately. I was really impressed with their work in Terror From Beyond as well.

Wallach

Hm... I might have to come back a little earlier than I was planning. They seem to be trying to turn things around content-wise.

Milly79

Meh, still crappy relics. Why throw Power+End for Tank relics? Does that make sense? I really know nothing of tanks.

Those Camp armor prices are not bad at all.

HBroward

Wow, thanks so much for posting all those! Yeah, it's sad to see that pvp relics will still be best in slot. I think that is pretty unfair to all the people who don't enjoy pvping for whatever reason. Oh well, their loss.

Milly79

I thought Bioware wanted to fix that? They're sureeeee taking the right steps!

Oh well, surprised that 1.5 is already on PTS. Crazy.

HBroward

Don't get me wrong, for burst phases those are still better, but in terms of damage over the totality of a fight, they are 2nd place. It still would be a good idea to have one, Nightmare Denova may require more super damage in a small window with bombers again. It's always good to have the option at least.

Cystm

"That's more like it" was directed at the fact they are actually patching the game more frequently.

"OVERLORD CYSTM LULZ."

Reread my last few posts. Take a step back, and let it go.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
So, like I already posted: Reread what I actually posted.. Take a step back and move on.

Back on topic:

Darth Hater already has a coverage guide rolling for 1.5

Cannot wait for HK!

Edit:

Spoiler They have the quest to acquire HK up already.
http://i.minus.com/iU0rh7lTkCQqS.png

They mentioned having a character on both factions being a plus. Are the items then not BOP? Possibly BoA? Can you sell these items on the GTN?

I did the first couple of quests in order to get the schematic.
The first is in Section X and then you have to go somewhere else. It's scavenger hunt heavy but fun. You'll need a character of each faction that can access the homeworlds to get 2 of the 7 parts you need.

The new dailies are cool. I know people hate the idea of dailies but the more they add the more variety of things you can do on any given day. These don't give as much money but I think they give more daily commendations overall. They're longer than the ones in the Black Hole with more steps to complete for some of them. The heroic 4 requires 4 people to get through it. No 2 or 3 manning this one.

Cystm

I did the first couple of quests in order to get the schematic. The first is in Section X and then you have to go somewhere else. It's scavenger hunt heavy but fun. You'll need a character of each faction that can access the homeworlds to get 2 of the 7 parts you need.

The new dailies are cool. I know people hate the idea of dailies but the more they add the more variety of things you can do on any given day. These don't give as much money but I think they give more daily commendations overall. They're longer than the ones in the Black Hole with more steps to complete for some of them. The heroic 4 requires 4 people to get through it. No 2 or 3 manning this one.

Have they said anything about unlocking HK being account wide or per character? My Google searching is failing.

StudioTan

Have they said anything about unlocking HK being account wide or per character? My Google searching is failing.

Account wide.

EDIT: It's possible he might become a legacy unlock you have to pay for on each character, I'm not sure on that.

Heysoos

I did the first couple of quests in order to get the schematic.
The first is in Section X and then you have to go somewhere else. It's scavenger hunt heavy but fun. You'll need a character of each faction that can access the homeworlds to get 2 of the 7 parts you need.

For the character on the other sides, what level do they need to be?

Cystm

Account wide.

EDIT: It's possible he might become a legacy unlock you have to pay for on each character, I'm not sure on that.

Account wide makes more sense.

I can see the potential for him being purchasable with Cartel Coins alongside Legacy too.

I am really tempted to get on the PTS and unlock him. Dulfy already has a guide up. While it's not technically 47, it's close enough to one of my all time favorite BW companions (behind Minsc.)

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Gameplay-wise, is he just a standard ranged tank companion?

Gameplay-wise, is he just a standard ranged tank companion?

I thought he was ranged DPS.

Hes just a companion that all your characters will have access to potentially once you unlock him on your account and believe they said hes also supposed to have a bonus to all the crews skills of some sort.

Cystm

My bad Cystm thought you were joking at me.

Wasn't HK a ranged tank in beta? Did they change it to DPS now?

All good, man.

As for HK-51, You can gear him as a tank or dps:
Spoilers, I guess.

Via the new Daily quest hub.

Edit: Dulfy has already got him on the PTS.
You spend the quest chain acquiring parts for him, but when you get him, and thus I assume assemble him: he has no parts/gear. ...Right.
Spoilers, again.

Cystm

I might have mentioned I was updating the OP once or five hundred times... sorry.

Anywho, I thought It would be nice to make some vids for people just getting into the game that would introduce them to Warzones and help them be more successful at them..

So, here is one I made for Huttball.

What do you guys think? Does it suck? Is it too much? Not enough? Should it not be in the OT?

Any feed back is appreciated.

Milly79

Dulfy already did the HK quest.

Crew skill bonus:

+5 Mission efficiency
+1 crafting critical

Quest line involves (this is not super detailed if you just want to get the basis):

a ship (assuming on Hoth) that involves a jump puzzle. Then you're off to 5 different planets and 2 flash points.

Crazy they've already figured it out.

StudioTan

I might have mentioned I was updating the OP once or five hundred times... sorry.

Anywho, I thought It would be nice to make some vids for people just getting into the game that would introduce them to Warzones and help them be more successful at them..

So, here is one I made for Huttball.

What do you guys think? Does it suck? Is it too much? Not enough? Should it not be in the OT?

Any feed back is appreciated.

Overall the video is good and provides good basic information for a noob however the text is very difficult to read and I actually didn't even notice it at first. So 2 suggestions:

Place the text in a black box so it's easier to distinguish from the game footage. You can either do that where you have it or along the top or bottom of the screen.

Second, to go along with that, I would pause the video for a few seconds each time you put a tip up. Long enough for someone to read it. Generally by the time you've read it now you've missed the event you were pointing out.

Cystm

Overall the video is good and provides good basic information for a noob however the text is very difficult to read and I actually didn't even notice it at first. So 2 suggestions:

Place the text in a black box so it's easier to distinguish from the game footage. You can either do that where you have it or along the top or bottom of the screen.

Second, to go along with that, I would pause the video for a few seconds each time you put a tip up. Long enough for someone to read it. Generally by the time you've read it now you've missed the event you were pointing out.

I've tweaked the thing a bunch of times. I can see how my eyes are probably conditioned to pick out the text, where someone watching it for the first time might have a difficult time keeping up.

Thanks for the feed back! :)

Top Bottom