• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Wallach

It is pretty disgusting that something as core functional as UI is being monetized at all. That shit needs to go, full stop.

Alur

I wish they'd remove itemization period. It's so minimal anyway that I don't even find myself caring.

I also wish they'd put all crystals in the store, plus more. Cosmetic items, BW! Damn you! That's what people wanna pay for, not UI bars!

Cystm

I always thought crystals should be like mounts and pets where you unlock the ability to use the color and the stats are separate.

Yeah, exactly.

I wish they'd remove itemization period. It's so minimal anyway that I don't even find myself caring.

I also wish they'd put all crystals in the store, plus more. Cosmetic items, BW! Damn you! That's what people wanna pay for, not UI bars!

Make all gear shells that can be customized to the users preference?

They will add cosmetic items to the market over time.

CzarTim

Honestly, I can live with the current F2P offering as someone who just wants to pvp, but I will not play/spend as much under this type of system. I can think of so many better ways of handling it that would have appeased everyone. But logging in for the first time in months made me remember just how much fun WZs are. I want to keep playing and for the game to do well. I just wish the people in charge had a clue.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Honestly, I can live with the current F2P offering as someone who just wants to pvp, but I will not play/spend as much under this type of system. I can think of so many better ways of handling it that would have appeased everyone. But logging in for the first time in months made me remember just how much fun WZs are. I want to keep playing and for the game to do well. I just wish the people in charge had a clue.

I'm going to give the developers some benefit of the doubt and assume that there is a lot of pressure and "good ideas" coming down from EA.

We still really don't know what the cartel coins cost so it's still a bit hard to judge what the financial investment is going to be to unlock some of the restrictions and do something like just PVP.

For subscribers the f2p thing is kind of a bonus since we are just getting perks and new random stuff thrown at us with our monthly creds at least.... for the f2p players.... well good luck

Miletius

Progress! Hopefully they come to their senses with 4 bars total, and just make like the extra customization UI cost a bit if they want to charge for that.

Cystm

So, I was pestering you guys tonight in-game for this here:

iMQlkBAbffPzW.png

i0F4h5gvW8oPW.png

indkSrk7gH149.png

iiArVfGR3GNeu.png

Is it okay? Am I missing anything? Any feedback is welcome :)

New OP is just about done. I want to throw in anything that the guild thinks should be in there. PvE and/or PvP videos or images are welcome.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
This F2P system is horrible. All my friends that we're going to come play f2p TOR are now completely turned off--no one wants to play a gutted game; seems like their philosophy is make the free people so disgusted of the game that they subscribe, but it's just going to drive newcomers away.

Like someone else said, microtransactions work best by sucking in people with gameplay and charging them for cosmetics, bonuses, and the like.

Wow, those F2P plans are insanely weird. I don't understand why they wouldn't follow something far more simply like RMT for credits or even EVE's model. I suppose their internal analysis/projections doesn't show it generating as much revenue, but it's hard to see it working this way either.

I've been pushing to finish up my first level 50 (Imperial Agent Sniper) before my game time cards run out, finally finished up Chapter 2 last night at level 45. I think the msot amusing part of the whole thing was the "Return to Imperial Fleet for your Chapter 2 reward". "Oh wow, I hope it's a cool sniper rifle!" Instead it was... a fleet pass to Dromund Kaas... where I didn't get anything? Did I miss something there?

UltraMav

I think the msot amusing part of the whole thing was the "Return to Imperial Fleet for your Chapter 2 reward". "Oh wow, I hope it's a cool sniper rifle!" Instead it was... a fleet pass to Dromund Kaas... where I didn't get anything? Did I miss something there?

Nah, it's that way for all of the classes, I think the intention from BW was to get you on the fleet in the hopes of you doing the two big story Flashpoints around that level. Before 1.3, Fleet was the only reliable way of grouping up for FPs. At least now they give you the passes to get back to your story, they didn't used to do that at all. :(

Wow, those F2P plans are insanely weird. I don't understand why they wouldn't follow something far more simply like RMT for credits or even EVE's model. I suppose their internal analysis/projections doesn't show it generating as much revenue, but it's hard to see it working this way either.

I've been pushing to finish up my first level 50 (Imperial Agent Sniper) before my game time cards run out, finally finished up Chapter 2 last night at level 45. I think the msot amusing part of the whole thing was the "Return to Imperial Fleet for your Chapter 2 reward". "Oh wow, I hope it's a cool sniper rifle!" Instead it was... a fleet pass to Dromund Kaas... where I didn't get anything? Did I miss something there?

The return to fleet moments for rewards was something that got changed late in the development as it had another purpose, but since it was written into the various class storylines they left it in and its kind of a pointless thing that never got removed.

HBroward

Changes coming in the next patch for BH com drop rates.

So here are the changes you'll be seeing in 1.4.3:
- Increased Black Hole Commendations granted by [WEEKLY] Galactic Operations from 8 to 15.
- Increased Black Hole Commendations granted by [WEEKLY] Galactic Crisis Points from 8 to 20.
- The final boss of Terror From Beyond now drops additional Black Hole pieces in story mode. (+2 in 8-man, +4 in 16-man)
- The final boss of Explosive Conflict now drops additional Black Hole pieces in story mode. (+2 in 8-man, +4 in 16-man)

The key here is that guilds running story mode aren't forced to play it safe every week, but it's perfectly valid if they'd like to. The weekly missions should provide a good avenue for guilds gearing up for the recent hard modes, especially with the upcoming addition of Campaign Armorings to the Black Hole vendors in 1.5. It also makes more sense - Operations should be the best source of gear commendations regardless of difficulty mode.

As for nightmare mode Karagga's Palace, the commendations were actually removed as a side-effect of migrating the chests out in favor of putting loot directly on the bosses; however, the updated boss loot did not make it into 1.4. In 1.4.3, the commendations will be migrated to the weekly mission, and the vanity items will be moved directly onto the bosses:

- [WEEKLY] Deadly Operations now grants 10 Black Hole Commendations.
- In nightmare mode, the Dessler Turbo is now guaranteed to drop directly from Karagga the Unyielding.
- In nightmare mode, most bosses in Karagga’s Palace now have a chance to drop the M0-GUL Thrall Droid or Karagga’s Unyielding Helm.

One of our top priorities for future updates is to shape the endgame gear progression into something more coherent. We’ll also be working harder to keep a dialogue open with you guys. Good hunting!

Maybe I finally will have another shot at getting Karraga's helm, and that damn elusive droid.

Alur

Wow, BW making shit ez as fuck. Any boss has a chance to drop it now? GG. It's not going to mean shit now.

What did that silly hat mean anyway? You won the random loot lottery? The mounts were all that meant anything IMO, and they are a gimme once you can reliably down certain bosses on certain modes.

HBroward

I think you will still be doing quite fine in the rare loot and mount department, mister two bloodmounts from Kephess. Bastard. :)

And are you going to come raid tonight?

Alur

It and the white crystal are the rarest, I agree. I think it will be still. How many folks are doing nightmare KP, and how many of those would reliably wear the helm if they got it?

And yeah, two mounts. I'm jealous of that. I really liked that mount.

Alur

I'm glad to see pvp hasn't changed. People still ignore objectives and go for most kills.

I spent some time this past week playing my buddies 50 sage pub side...I see lots of bitching about how bad imp side is now and I can see it, but Jesus, when pub side is off its waaaaayyyy off. Idiots running everywhere and no one even passing 200k damage. It gets soul crushing at times.

The level of play has definitely suffered with all of us taking sabbaticals after rated didn't pan out.

Milly79

The level of play has definitely suffered with all of us taking sabbaticals after rated didn't pan out.

I'd still say it was because of CO. Yes, they brought in some good players, but mostly trash on both sides. Imp was doing fairly well in unranked before we got another merger.

HBroward

I have done a lot of solo healing on my sorc and sage lately and both sides just have a way higher percentage of lower skilled players. It's not even a gear thing, I see fully geared players that just can't play their class well. It really comes down to which side has a 4 man group of skilled players in any given game. It has gotten pretty frustrating, and I can't see it improving unless we get a lot of returning players.

CzarTim

Like a lot of MOBAs, there really isn't any way for players to improve unless someone more skilled is willing to be patient and instruct, or what happened on KV where the competition was so good you had to improve. If both sides are mediocre, they'll stay that way.

Zafir

Bad pugs were balanced across both factions on Nightmare Lands, but since we merged into Red Eclipse, all the baddies seem to be on imp side. :/ Since I generally roll with a full premade, it usually doesn't become an issue unless your against double premades or something mind. Could see solo queuing just being soul destroying though.

Resubbed today to make sure I get my cartel coins. Looks like both my Empire and Repub characters were all placed on the Prophecy of the Five server.

Majority of my names are gone and my guild seems to have completely left the game. Wish I could transfer but looks like I'm stuck here.

Nice to have my legacy together though.

Woorloog

Banned
Wait wait... I don't get any Cartel Coins unless i sub again? I can't just wait for F2P and start playing, getting the coins i've, uh, earned?
Not that i'd touch that shitty F2P implementation.
Is Sprint still behind paywall? What about speeders? Taxis? I recall them mentioning something about restricted travel options earlier...

Zafir

Wait wait... I don't get any Cartel Coins unless i sub again? I can't just wait for F2P and start playing, getting the coins i've, uh, earned?
Not that i'd touch that shitty F2P implementation.
Is Sprint still behind paywall? What about speeders? Taxis? I recall them mentioning something about restricted travel options earlier...
If you've subscribed at any point before then you'll be a preferred status player.
As a Preferred Status Player, you will gain the following benefits compared to Free-to-Play Players:
• The Sprint ability at Level 1
• Access to your Cargo Hold (an 80 item Player Bank)
• Access to Secure Trade (starting at level 10)
• The ability to send Mail, including one (1) attachment
• Increased allowance for chat message frequencies in Public chat channels (such as /general)
• An increased Credits Cap
• Access to the Who List
• Three (3) additional Sale Slots on the Galactic Trade Network (for a total of 5)
• One (1) additional active Crew Skill Slot (for a total of 2)
• Reduced skill point respecialization costs
• Increased Server queue priority

Woorloog

Banned
If you've subscribed at any point before then you'll be a preferred status player.

These make the F2P option somewhat playable... for me. Not for my friend or my brother. Guess we won't be playing the game then. I know they ain't willing to pay for SWTOR (but both like SW) and i'm also 100% sure they don't want to play the game without cargo hold (my friend is a collector type, at least when it comes to lightsabers) or sprint or limited quickbar slots.
*sigh*
Oh well, Elemental Fallen Enchantress and Halo 4 will keep me busy, and possibly EVE online too.

EDIT crossposting from gaming side
Oh there's a catch to those cartel coins too. You only get them if you have an active subscription when the system goes live.

What? Misinformation or true?

HBroward

These make the F2P option somewhat playable... for me. Not for my friend or my brother. Guess we won't be playing the game then. I know they ain't willing to pay for SWTOR (but both like SW) and i'm also 100% sure they don't want to play the game without cargo hold (my friend is a collector type, at least when it comes to lightsabers) or sprint or limited quickbar slots.
*sigh*
Oh well, Elemental Fallen Enchantress and Halo 4 will keep me busy, and possibly EVE online too.

EDIT crossposting from gaming side

What? Misinformation or true?

Your friend and brother only have to make one purchase to get those same privileges. And yes, you have to be subbed at the launch of F2P to receive your coins.

Woorloog

Banned
Your friend and brother only have to make one purchase to get those same privileges. And yes, you have to be subbed at the launch of F2P to receive your coins.

It is not worth it.
And i won't put a cent to this game anymore, it is not worth the meager amount of Cartel Coins i get (4 months+DD, i think).
I will wait until they revise their F2P, if they do. I'm betting the game will closed down completly before that happens.

Just started playing this again the other day. Kinda surprised my sniper still does decent damage without much WH gear. I'm also surprised it only took a day of play to get me back to being good at it, lol.

Really the only class I have fun with.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
It is not worth it.
And i won't put a cent to this game anymore, it is not worth the meager amount of Cartel Coins i get (4 months+DD, i think).
I will wait until they revise their F2P, if they do. I'm betting the game will closed down completly before that happens.

Honest question, as a business owner, why would you revise your Free To Play option to cater to people such as yourself who don't plan on spending any money at all?

Cystm

Just started playing this again the other day. Kinda surprised my sniper still does decent damage without much WH gear. I'm also surprised it only took a day of play to get me back to being good at it, lol.

IA/Smuggler, really are the best class in the game.

Are you in battlemaster? Because the bonus for having full WH gear really is not that huge really

Woorloog

Banned
Honest question, as a business owner, why would you revise your Free To Play option to cater to people such as yourself who don't plan on spending any money at all?

I might actually pay for something if the F2P was playable without having to buy anything. As it is, i'd have to pay for ESSENTIAL stuff (action bars, cargo hold, others).
MWO and Planetside 2 both are F2P but i'll probably end up buying something in them since i like both... and both games are playable without having to buy essential stuff.
And there are other F2P like that.

SWTOR's system is just abysmal, on top of being somewhat medicore game.
F2P option was a nice idea when it was announced because it would have drawn my friend and brother to play it too (would be fun played co-operatively) if it wasn't so badly implemented (yeah, i know it can still change but we know that won't happen).

EDIT i like F2P gaming, when it is done right. I think the future multiplayer gaming should be F2P, if it is done right. EDIT IE a fun, interesting game, complete as it is when it comes to UI etc... and you buy all sorts of extra, dungeons, customization etc.

I might actually pay for something if the F2P was playable without having to buy anything. As it is, i'd have to pay for ESSENTIAL stuff (action bars, cargo hold, others).
MWO and Planetside 2 both are F2P but i'll probably end up buying something in them since i like both... and both games are playable without having to buy essential stuff.
And there are other F2P like that.

SWTOR's system is just abysmal, on top of being somewhat medicore game.
F2P option was a nice idea when it was announced because it would have drawn my friend and brother to play it too (would be fun played co-operatively) if it wasn't so badly implemented (yeah, i know it can still change but we know that won't happen).

EDIT i like F2P gaming, when it is done right. I think the future multiplayer gaming should be F2P, if it is done right. EDIT IE a fun, interesting game, complete as it is when it comes to UI etc... and you buy all sorts of extra, dungeons, customization etc.

TOR is playable in F2P mode, the only restriction that can affect a persons playability will be not having a 3rd action bar and that will only be an issue for certain classes and at higher levels. But all the other restrictions really aren't going to prevent the game from being playable, just annoyances at best. They shouldnt be selling action bars at all, but it's not an unplayable game. It would have been with only one action bar though but thankfully that's not happening.

Woorloog

Banned
TOR is playable in F2P mode, the only restriction that can affect a persons playability will be not having a 3rd action bar and that will only be an issue for certain classes and at higher levels. But all the other restrictions really aren't going to prevent the game from being playable, just annoyances at best.

Annoyance=unplayable as far as i'm concerned, i keep rather high standards for most games. And annoyance is not the same as generic or boring or medicore.
No access to sprint in a game this large? Fuck that.
Lack of 3rd action bar makes the UI unsable for me. I'd prefer 4 action bars visible. No Cargo Hold is a problem, since i'm an item collector (like my friend, we collect lightsabers). Hell, that feature is essential if you have two specs or craft items in MMOs.
I'm fine with no access to dungeons or battlegrounds (i'd probably buy either one) and various other things but as it is, there are far too many restrictions to make the game enjoyable in F2P.
I don't buy or pay for games i don't find enjoyable... or at least i don't want to pay much for games i find interesting but lacking (Diablo 3, SWTOR).
For SWTOR 15€sub per month is too much, halve that and i'd keep subbing. Or make a reasonable F2P system.

Annoyance=unplayable as far as i'm concerned, i keep rather high standards for most games. And annoyance is not the same as generic or boring or medicore.
No access to sprint in a game this large? Fuck that.
Lack of 3rd action bar makes the UI unsable for me. I'd prefer 4 action bars visible. No Cargo Hold is a problem, since i'm an item collector (like my friend, we collect lightsabers). Hell, that feature is essential if you have two specs or craft items in MMOs.
I'm fine with no access to dungeons or battlegrounds (i'd probably buy either one) and various other things but as it is, there are far too many restrictions to make the game enjoyable in F2P.
I don't buy or pay for games i don't find enjoyable... or at least i don't want to pay much for games i find interesting but lacking (Diablo 3, SWTOR).
For SWTOR 15€sub per month is too much, halve that and i'd keep subbing. Or make a reasonable F2P system.

Didn't you already play once before? You get access to your cargo hold and sprint at lvl1 then.

Top Bottom