• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Audioboxer

Picking up a cheap copy of the game so I get a month sub.

Any opinions on what are the best stories in the game? I get fatigued very easily in MMOs and are quite indecisive, so I'm trying to approach this game for the story (like it's Knights of the Old republic 3).

Draxal

Audίoboxer;44946730 said:
Picking up a cheap copy of the game so I get a month sub.

Any opinions on what are the best stories in the game? I get fatigued very easily in MMOs and are quite indecisive, so I'm trying to approach this game for the story (like it's Knights of the Old republic 3).

KOTOR 3 = Jedi Knight, themes are very close to the first two games.

Best story overall is probably the Imperial Agent, with Sith Warrior and Smuggler coming just behind it.

The imp agent story is much more of a side story in what's going on with the world, but it's just incredibly well done. Bioware's finest story work in a long time.

Audioboxer

KOTOR 3 = Jedi Knight, themes are very close to the first two games.

Best story overall is probably the Imperial Agent, with Sith Warrior and Smuggler coming just behind it.

The imp agent story is much more of a side story in what's going on with the world, but it's just incredibly well done. Bioware's finest story work in a long time.

Thanks, I might start as an imperial agent then, in a world all about light sabers why not go a sniper? Haha.

Wallach

Audίoboxer;44947048 said:
Thanks, I might start as an imperial agent then, in a world all about light sabers why not go a sniper? Haha.

IA is definitely the best story the game has, and you really can't go wrong with either AC. Operatives are my favorite healers and Snipers are my favorite DPS.

Alur

I love that they are gonna add to the market each week, and new packs with new items each patch.

Combine that with a new WZ and new PVP gear finally and... Them hooks, they has them in me.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

Are you wowing at the fact it's a wedding? I didn't watch more than 20 seconds of it but I don't see that it's a big deal. We're all running around pretending we're killing people with glowy sticks and space lasers. If people want to pretend their characters are getting married more power to them.

ShaneB

Audίoboxer;44947048 said:

My thoughts as well. Sure the Jedi/Sith thing is a big appeal to Star Wars, but I am loving my Smuggler so much. It's fun being a bad ass with a blaster and being able to expand on that part of the SW universe.

UltraMav

Man legacy abilities are life savers on pvp servers. Taking out assholes five levels higher than you attempting to spawn camp is most satisfying.

Milly79

Are you wowing at the fact it's a wedding? I didn't watch more than 20 seconds of it but I don't see that it's a big deal. We're all running around pretending we're killing people with glowy sticks and space lasers. If people want to pretend their characters are getting married more power to them.

Using "wow" was incorrect, I suppose. I know it's typical that this happens, but some of the dialogue that took place was pretty funny IMO.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Using "wow" was incorrect, I suppose. I know it's typical that this happens, but some of the dialogue that took place was pretty funny IMO.

Ah, yeah, that's why I stopped watching.

So, can't buy a subscription. Just keep getting "An error has occurred while trying to process your request. Please, try again later." whenever I try to pay. Has been this way the past two days. Customer service thread on the forums is full of people with the same problem. Not really interested in calling an international number.

Is this game still fun with just preffered status?

So, can't buy a subscription. Just keep getting "An error has occurred while trying to process your request. Please, try again later." whenever I try to pay. Has been this way the past two days. Customer service thread on the forums is full of people with the same problem. Not really interested in calling an international number.

Is this game still fun with just preffered status?
I'd say with the changes they're making to Preferred you'd be having a better time with the game.

Ashodin

IA is definitely the best story the game has, and you really can't go wrong with either AC. Operatives are my favorite healers and Snipers are my favorite DPS.

I'm going to have to agree to this by proxy. I watched some of the cutscenes and I was like goddamn this shit is cray.

There's something to be said about playing a character who is legitimately less "powerful" than the Jedi or Sith, especially when they try to ramrod you with their ideals and you're just trying to serve the side you're on at large.

Similarly, the Jedi or Sith have to "prove" themselves to their superiors = the Sith more "powerful individuals beget more power and status" and Jedi are "save the best you can, and fight evil where you seek it, and you shall be as gods".

Playing the Inquisitor as lightside, it's really interesting how you go about it - you can legitimately call out superiors as being too harsh and evil.

My Inquisitor's rationale and thinking (partially my own as well behind them) is that the "dark side" of the force is not "dark" at all. Rather, it's the emotional side of the Force. Using emotions will gain you not "greater" powers than the "light" or "logical" side of the force, but rather allow you to fuel your emotions into more power. Seeing other Sith just use their hate and anger is like children playing with a rubik's cube - to them, it's a box that you can turn the pretty colors, to my Inquisitor, I can see that there's a puzzle to be unlocked, that there's deeper understanding to be had. If my Inquisitor can harness anger, surely he can harness compassion, even love, to bring about higher and more powerful understandings of the Force. The Jedi fear love, they teach you to not embrace it, and he sees that as wrong, and why the Jedi deny themselves he does not know, though he can see they still derive great power from whatever they believe in.

This is what my rationale was behind choosing the Inquisitor in the beginning. It's more "Gray Jedi" than Sith, but I don't think my character knows it yet.

On the Sentinel, it's a little more cut and dry, although he is learning that anger is not the path to the dark side, but rather as much of a honed focused tool like a Lightsaber is to any Jedi.

Ah, philosophy.

Cystm

Thats... yeah. Accurate character outlook to say the absolute very least. Playing my knight as dark side or as close to fallen as possible made the choices so much more impactful when really considering what story choices to make based on your characters outlook. The game doesn't always do that well, but in my experience playing through: Knight, inquisitor, Smug, and warrior, - they all have excellent character story progression in that regard. One of the major reasons why I enjoy this game so much.

HBroward

Good luck man! I've heard stories about the encounter lol.

I can now confirm that it is beyond brutal. We have the beginning phase down, now just working on the trandoshan shields. I think once we get through those two phases it'll be pretty smooth sailing. Hopefully.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I try to sign in with my old files for the F2P, and it always tells me the servers are down...do I have to download all over again or something?

Bought a 60 day subscription through Origin and it worked :)

This is a good relaxer after studying 6-8 hours a day. Do the storyline, do a bit of pvp, a flashpoint here and there. Want to get a Jedi Knight and an Imperial Agent to 50.

Havnt played this game since launch.

Anyone got a too the point list of changes and regarding the Nihilus Mask how do i obtain it if I started to play again?

Milly79

Here's a lowbie Huttball video I captured last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL4FtlTA_d8

Few things to note:
- You will hear some Vent conversations throughout the video. I have tried to place 3 tracks of music over the video so you don't hear it. It's probably jarring at first considering I placed them spaced out instead of over the entire video. NSFW music.

- All the songs relate to burning/fire, thought it was fitting rolling with 2 Powertech's.

- I didn't cut out any deaths/run-backs, I think only die twice (possibly 3) times anyway, so it doesn't eat up a lot of the video. Since I have a better computer, I'll work on placing more effort into this next time.

- Sorry Trevin! (in advance). Your voice is heard throughout it more than Areoron.

I guess my only question is there any way to record SWTOR audio while NOT recording Vent conversations? If not I have no problem using no audio and trying to edit the film better to match songs, etc.

I think my favorite part is when Trevin and I double pull the guy into the acid. :lol

HBroward

Trevin, you may wanna watch this video on NiM Kephess... Similar comp, aside from the 2 Operative healers. Specifically watch the warrior phase, pull 3 where the tank tanks the entire group by himself...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IalHoOIMAzg

We are also getting 25 stacks of faction-based fireworks!!!

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/news-article/20121203

Ok, first of all, they have 4 people dpsing the first robot, it goes down way quicker than ours, we need to adopt that. Now I'll watch up to the shield phase. :)

Second, four fricking orbitals on the walker? Must be nice...

I think if we could get back in there with those strats we could get a kill for sure.

Milly79

I'm still baffled how our tanks can't live from two mercs spamming on them? I know the Ops get HoTs and that 30% heal, but come on... That tank lived for 20+ seconds BY HIMSELF. Our tanks would be dead in seconds. They are obviously doing something wrong mechanic wise there, or aren't getting the pre/over healing they need or just aren't geared correctly for it. I'm really not sure... We are actually talking strats right now in Vent if you wanna hop in.

HBroward

I'm still baffled how our tanks can't live from two mercs spamming on them? I know the Ops get HoTs and that 30% heal, but come on... That tank lived for 20+ seconds BY HIMSELF. Our tanks would be dead in seconds. They are obviously doing something wrong mechanic wise there, or aren't getting the pre/over healing they need or just aren't geared correctly for it. I'm really not sure... We are actually talking strats right now in Vent if you wanna hop in.

I'm cooking dinner, I'll be on in about thirty minutes.

Cystm

Just logged on my Marauder to find all my rewards from the CE, Refer a Friend, etc in the mail (again) and my bars reset. At least I finally got that worthless Hero's Banner, right?

Cool.

Bah I was going to finally sign into my old account and try this out but my account is locked.

It says there was a problem with my security question but I don't even remember ever answering those questions. Must have been earlier in the year or something...

I hope they get back to me soon.

Wallach

Bah I was going to finally sign into my old account and try this out but my account is locked.

It says there was a problem with my security question but I don't even remember ever answering those questions. Must have been earlier in the year or something...

I hope they get back to me soon.

Call them, their mail/ticket CS is pretty fucking slow at the moment. Over the phone they can take care of it right there if you can get through.

ShaneB

For the fellow Steam folks, no need for any workarounds.

- Fix the in-game overlay to correctly inject when a launcher calls ShellExecute with an empty string for the verb (Windows, fixes SWTOR)

Wallach

Heh, is it the same pilot suit from last week... but black?

jRDPUlFhRV2Ve.jpg

Looks like a skin of the Imperial Pilot stuff.

I like more options, but seems like lazy reskin thats barely different from what we already have. The last pilot suit at least had a different helmet. This looks like it only added a red stripe to the suit?

Draxal

All of these outfits are reskins that can be used by any class/factions, so they do have increased functionality (think Stormtrooper Luke/Han). I'm expecting a grey version of the republic officer set and a red/black version or white of the Imp trooper outfit next.

Top Bottom