• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

I didn't give Neon a lot of attention on my first playthrough but meandering around on NG+ and picked up a side quest - kind of cool really, I mean it's nothing special but I liked the assembly line mini game for this quest. Job application and all - and picked up at least 3 other side quests I know I didn't do on my main game down there. Still a lot to find in this game. Also noticed for the first time (duh) the spaceport is visible from that lower deck - so you could just jump towards it.

Atrus

Gold Member
Are there no cosmetic skins in the game?

I keep thinking you unlock them after certain faction quest lines or story but still nothing. Did they create a feature for the sole purpose of selling the premium editions?

I keep thinking you unlock them after certain faction quest lines or story but still nothing. Did they create a feature for the sole purpose of selling the premium editions?
Talking about with weapons and such? Yeah I've been wondering if there were - I see the option but don't ever find any with one exception, the Mars Cutter or something like that.

Don't worry, Todd has you covered. In the near future, they'll add a Constellation Shop where you can support your favorite developer with real money transactions!

b60a7b8c-f949-4a9c-addd-4198690e34fb.png

Lmaoing at Indus quest haters after talking to Aquilus in NG+. Masterful troll by Bethesda.
People using that quest as an example of bad writing will be ashamed of their words and deeds.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Late to the party with this one, due to prior commitments in Baldur's Gate...

Seems pretty good so far, the gunplay is solid at least. So much fast travel though - the quest I'm on is basically fast travel to find a guy, no he's not here, try another place, fast travel there, fast travel again. Maybe I'm approaching it wrong.

Also, who is my character meant to be? He's a lowly manual worker who stumbles across an artifact, then suddenly he's given a starship which he already knows how to pilot, and now the leader of the company that owns the ship is following me around and calling me Captain.

I think it would have made more sense if the mining part was just a prologue, and the Constellation people take possession of the artifact and wake up a fresh clone of some veteran space explorer from hypersleep to take it from there.

Hahaha, exactly what I felt like....went from mine worker to the chosen one in 15 minutes.

Tbf, the ships are like cars to people in this universe so I feel the character would know how to fly them. The suddenly indoctrinated into the constellation club was handled a little too fast imo.

Reached Neon for the first time.

Elden Ring moment for me. Like when you reach Liurnia for first time and look at Raya Lucaria academy for first time from certain angles.

Very cool location. Explored city for 3 hrs, still haven't seen half of it. A ton of verticality and you can make your way using jetpack. Good stuff.

calistan

Hahaha, exactly what I felt like....went from mine worker to the chosen one in 15 minutes.

Tbf, the ships are like cars to people in this universe so I feel the character would know how to fly them. The suddenly indoctrinated into the constellation club was handled a little too fast imo.
I can't recall any story with such a jarring transition from average Joe to hero. It's his first day on the job, and the second rock he breaks contains the artifact. How does anyone know this boring bit of scrap metal is anything exceptional? Oh, new boy says he fainted when he dug this thing up, let's a) dock his pay and send him to the infirmary, or b) sign him up as the new leader of the space adventurers' club.

In an alternate universe where Bethesda hired me to doctor this script, I'd have made more of the miner's background - like starting as a vault dweller in Fallout 3 - and then I'd have the artifact do something apocalyptic. Base destroyed, hundreds dead, miner mysteriously unscathed, attached to this deadly artifact like John Hurt in Alien. And then I'd pull the bait and switch, with an actual space adventurer coming in to clear up the mess and figure out why this is happening at key locations in the galaxy.

But no, the first artifact I track down is being used as a "hood ornament" in somebody's ship. I mean, come on. Seriously?

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I can't recall any story with such a jarring transition from average Joe to hero. It's his first day on the job, and the second rock he breaks contains the artifact. How does anyone know this boring bit of scrap metal is anything exceptional? Oh, new boy says he fainted when he dug this thing up, let's a) dock his pay and send him to the infirmary, or b) sign him up as the new leader of the space adventurers' club.

In an alternate universe where Bethesda hired me to doctor this script, I'd have made more of the miner's background - like starting as a vault dweller in Fallout 3 - and then I'd have the artifact do something apocalyptic. Base destroyed, hundreds dead, miner mysteriously unscathed, attached to this deadly artifact like John Hurt in Alien. And then I'd pull the bait and switch, with an actual space adventurer coming in to clear up the mess and figure out why this is happening at key locations in the galaxy.

But no, the first artifact I track down is being used as a "hood ornament" in somebody's ship. I mean, come on. Seriously?

I think the idea is that not everyone that touches the artifacts gets the visions, those that do are chosen. Since apparently only one other Constellation member experienced the visions that makes your character an important asset to them. The captain moniker doesn't mean a lot in this universe, as that just signifies that you have a ship.

Reached Neon for the first time.
Elden Ring moment for me. Like when you reach Liurnia for first time and look at Raya Lucaria academy for first time from certain angles.

Very cool location. Explored city for 3 hrs, still haven't seen half of it. A ton of verticality and you can make your way using jetpack. Good stuff.

Some easy drug running money to be made there, also the best place to sell goods you've liberated from others. I've found it is best not to bring a companion in Neon. :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

Luipadre

So i kinda ditched the game to play cyberpunk dlc and went back to BG3 until the first patch. When is DLSS coming or even that freaking brightness slider? Is it that hard to implement for a AAA multi billion dollar company?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
So i kinda ditched the game to play cyberpunk dlc and went back to BG3 until the first patch. When is DLSS coming or even that freaking brightness slider? Is it that hard to implement for a AAA multi billion dollar company?

Taking far too long. I'm pushing the game aside for a while just because I want to see what updates they have, but no excuse for at least DLSS to not be implemented by now.

Chukhopops

My understanding is that in every possible universe there are some constants and therefore
you always end up dealing with the artifacts at some point, you just also die somewhere along the way.

Sure it’s a « you are the chosen one » story but at least it’s kind of explained.

Mephisto40

I'm at 170 hours and just got to that quest, but haven't started it yet.
I feel like I ran out of quest content about 70 hours into the game, so I find comments like this absolutely baffling tbh, I really don't understand where people are getting all this play time before they've even started the main quest from

I feel like I ran out of quest content about 70 hours into the game, so I find comments like this absolutely baffling tbh, I really don't understand where people are getting all this play time before they've even started the main quest from
I just walk to a shop and 4 NPCs vomit a quest or activity notification on me. I currently have about 16 quests and 20 activities (which usually turn into quests) in my log. Only thing I've done for factions is get the intro to Crimson Fleet since that gets introduced in a unique way, and I've done maybe 4 quests for the Rangers so far. No other factions started yet either.

I just pick a quest, go do that. Explore and scan a planet or two near the quest I went to. Do a base fight maybe. Then go back to town and sell all the stuff and look around a bit.

I do spend a fair bit of time taking photos also, and I've also dabbled in ship and outpost construction. I'm not even slightly close to maxing out the quests available, or the exploration.

soulbait

Beowulf is my favourite gun at the moment.

I got a Beowulf last night that does 130+ damage (I forget the number). It finally allowed me to retire my old Beowulf that was only doing 50+ damage. I got to level 31 last night, so maybe I will start seeing more high damage weapons.

I got this weapon right before finishing up a faction's quest that went against some high level, hard to kill, enemies:
xenomorphs

It made it a lot easier than what it would have been if I did not get that weapon.

I’m 180+ hours in and have only been to Neon for the spaceship store. I haven’t done the quest that takes me there. Tonight I plan on starting the main quest mission that takes me to The Eye.
You're going at a similar pace as me, but I'd recommend doing a couple main quests at least now. Won't say more than that, but it will likely help the rest of your experience.

soulbait

But remember, many of the reviews were complaining that the opening to the game was too slow and boring. Sure a dragon didn't come swoop in or a nuke did not go off, but it felt pretty fast to me. And as others have mentioned on here, almost too fast. Only thing I can think of is because you are the only other person who have had the "visions" when touching the relic, they wanted you on their team no matter what. However, the trust they give you should have been more realistically earned (but then it would have been a slower start).

Mindman

You can have DLSS and brightness fixes on PC right now...

But remember, many of the reviews were complaining that the opening to the game was too slow and boring. Sure a dragon didn't come swoop in or a nuke did not go off, but it felt pretty fast to me. And as others have mentioned on here, almost too fast. Only thing I can think of is because you are the only other person who have had the "visions" when touching the relic, they wanted you on their team no matter what. However, the trust they give you should have been more realistically earned (but then it would have been a slower start).
Agreed. If anything I thought it was light speed fast, and that was so far probably my only complaint about the writing. Morrowind has a slow as molasses opening. Not everything has to be a Skyrim / James Bond action opening. I honestly kind of hate that. I would have been fine with a longer, even more immersive and monotonous opening mining in relative poverty. That's kind of how The Ascent opens.

Could have made it a real struggle to get off that first planet like you're stuck. And then you open it up way later.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

I didn't spend 140+ hours in this game twiddling my thumbs, dude. I don't get why you are constantly questioning the playtime of others.

calistan

A slow start can be okay if it isn't dull. Fallout 3 was a slow start, but it was all integrated into the character creation system and then suddenly you're set free into the world. And because it started the way it did, there was a better impression of where the character actually came from.

Anyway, I'm not finding it remotely boring, just difficult to get into my character's shoes. Probably doesn't help that I've just spent weeks in Baldur's Gate, which is probably the best written story I've ever seen in a game.

Mephisto40

I didn't spend 140+ hours in this game twiddling my thumbs, dude. I don't get why you are constantly questioning the playtime of others.
Because I've ran out of meaningful quests in all 5 of the main cities, factions and main storyline in less than 70 hours, am i just missing something? where is the extra 100 hours of extra content outside of building a base and walking around lifeless planets, all with the same 5 landmarks on them?

I'm honestly just curious as to where all this extra content is, because I'm not seeing it

twilo99

140hrs is solid, you deserve a break lol

I also feel like your 140+ could be very different to someone else’s, since you can be more productive and complete more of the actual quests, etc. and someone else might spend more time ship building, outposts, surveying, etc.

I’m not saying that’s what you did specifically, but in general there is a certain amount of freedom in this game that I personally haven’t experienced in other games, but I guess it’s standard Bethesda.

Because I've ran out of meaningful quests in all 5 of the main cities, factions and main storyline in less than 70 hours, am i just missing something? where is the extra 100 hours of extra content outside of building a base and walking around lifeless planets, all with the same 5 landmarks on them?

I'm honestly just curious as to where all this extra content is, because I'm not seeing it
No idea. Whats your # of completed quests? Not sure how else we would be able to tell. We can probably google how many are in the game.

Topher

Gold Member

Have you followed up on the items in your activities list? I've done many missions from that alone that have nothing to do with the main quest or factions. Don't know what to tell you. My 140+ hours were quite meaningful and I spent zero time exploring lifeless procedurally generated planets.

Topher

Gold Member
140hrs is solid, you deserve a break lol

I also feel like your 140+ could be very different to someone else’s, since you can be more productive and complete more of the actual quests, etc. and someone else might spend more time ship building, outposts, surveying, etc.

I’m not saying that’s what you did specifically, but in general there is a certain amount of freedom in this game that I personally haven’t experienced in other games, but I guess it’s standard Bethesda.

Crazy thing is I have more to do. I still have activities that I need to follow up on and Roberts Roberts told me about another side mission that I missed completely. I spent very little time on building outposts, but I did put a put a bit into ship building. In any case, I find it hard to believe that someone has completely exhausted the game in "under 70 hours".

Crazy thing is I have more to do. I still have activities that I need to follow up on and Roberts Roberts told me about another side mission that I missed completely. I spent very little time on building outposts, but I did put a put a bit into ship building. In any case, I find it hard to believe that someone has completely exhausted the game in "under 70 hours".
Im all about the barren planets too so I'll be busy for an irresponsible amount of time.

I did the crucible quest last night. It could easily have been a fallout 4 quest. A vault tec experiment.

Anyway, if for no reason NPCs become hostile against you, just kill everyone, go back to your ship and take a nap. They will be friendly tomorrow morning.

Havoc2049

I'm ahhh role playing in an RPG..... For example, I just finished the main Freestar Ranger quest line last night and became a full fledged Ranger. So now I'm fully decked out in Ranger gear and weapons (even though it was a slight downgrade from the Mantis gear I was wearing), with the Ranger Star Eagle ship, and now I'm completing Ranger missions from the Ranger mission board and taking care of issues around Akila City. Once I finished a bunch of Ranger and Akila City missions and quests, I'll dip back into the main quest line. I also want to become a bad ass warrior and pilot, so I like leveling up those skills with ground combat missions and space combat missions. Getting those level 50 and level 100 achievements is a major time sink grind. I also want to be able to pilot any ship in the game and I'm closing in on my dream ship that I want to buy and mod into a bad ass ship. I don't mind the grind though, as I'm enjoying the main game and the tons of stuff to do in the RPG meta game that Bethesda games are known for.

My play time so far in Starfiled is 77hrs 48mins. I've only completed the UC Vanguard and Freestar Ranger quest lines and about 1/3 of the main quest line, along with fully completing a character relationship quest with Sarah. Sarah and I got married, had a honeymoon and I bought us a mansion to live in on Nesoi 🤣. So far on my quest board, I've completed 41 quests/missions and have 18 missions/quests and 20 activities outstanding. So I still have tons of stuff to do, along with the Ryujin, Crimson Fleet and main quest lines.

Last edited:
Top Bottom