• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Also, won't the multiplayer for MW3 be a ghost town? Only like 0.1% of steam users use mac, let alone the average COD player. Doubt it would be worth the money.

The game is also sold on the Mac Store and a couple other Mac alternatives that don't show on Steam. So yeah, a ghost town, but not quite as much of a ghost town as it would seem.

eh

I doubt this reasoning (although solid) holds true, even though at this point I dont think i'd even want HL3 to come out this gen

they'll probably work something out regarding retail. Dota 2 is a PC only title and CS:GO fits the downloadable markets price. That wouldnt be the case with Half-Life 3, Left 4 Dead 3 or Portal 3

I think it does fit since the console manufacturers themselves (well MS and Sony anyway) are going to make a very strong push towards DD on these next systems. And the generation after next will be all DD. The systems wont even have a disk drive anymore.

Salsa

I think it does fit since the console manufacturers themselves (well MS and Sony anyway) are going to make a very strong push towards DD on these next systems. And the generation after next will be all DD. The systems wont even have a disk drive anymore.

well sure, but just because the console manufacturers are making a push for it doesnt mean that the customers are forced to adapt. People will still want boxed copies and that amount of people will still be a significant number, enough for Valve to still put boxed copies out there.

Next-Next gen though? sure

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
tumblr_m03bjqlEkU1r7vp56.gif

(I may be in the process of buying buying JSR from GMG.)
You haven't done it yet? Wow, I beat you to it, that feels weird. Now I only need to buy 3445 more games and we're even :p

HoosTrax

I think I own every single Total War game, but I'm not seeing any new TF2 items listed in my Steam inventory. Do I need to actually log into TF2 to get them sent to me?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I'm not sure how long it is going to take for the home consoles to completely drop retail. There are a few hurdles to be jumped first, chief among them, I think, is high speed internet access. There are plenty of places in the United States, just an hour outside of major markets, that do not have access to high speed internet yet. And, to make matters worse, the road map to when they'll get it is unclear as the major telecommunications companies don't think these markets are worth it (well, until the areas attempt to provide their own municipal services - but that's another story).

HoosTrax

yeah you always need to do that
Ahhh. Guess I'll have to wait until I get home then.

And I just realized that I don't in fact own all of the TW games (don't have the mobile port Total War: Battles, or either of the Shogun 2 expansions).

I'm not sure how long it is going to take for the home consoles to completely drop retail.
Normally, I couldn't care less, but in the case of Borderlands 2, Gamestop getting the exclusive Monster Dome DLC does impact me despite their usual irrelevance to the PC gaming scene, because they still matter enough to the publishers in the console space to warrant special treatment. So the PC part of the BL2 audience gets shafted as a result of it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You haven't done it yet? Wow, I beat you to it, that feels weird. Now I only need to buy 3445 more games and we're even :p

Haha, being a recent release, I decided to leave it as my Plan B should the Weekend Deals be unattractive. I also bought Sonic CD!

dani_dc

I think I own every single Total War game, but I'm not seeing any new TF2 items listed in my Steam inventory. Do I need to actually log into TF2 to get them sent to me?

I don't think they've started sending the items yet, at least own Rome and Medieval II and haven't gotten the hats yet (despite logging on TF2).

HoosTrax

Rome: Total War for a dollar? Don't see many games at 90% off.
It's a very old game. I think Company of Heroes has gotten close to that high of a discount as well.

But surprisingly playable on modern systems. Obviously, the texture resolution and low polygons don't make it great to look at, but the interface still feels very modern and has changed little in the years since, in the newer games.

I bought it last year, and it's the TW game I have the most hours in. Maybe because it's not horrendously poorly optimized like Shogun 2 (or maybe it is, but it's not very demanding on a modern PC). I also like that time period and setting.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Lol at Black Ops MAC being completely separate from the Windows version. Activision going to Activision, indeed.

Exuro

A USB cable to plug in a guitar.
So just one of these?
usb-guitar-cable.jpg

Pretty cool if true, was always interested in the game.

Lol at Black Ops MAC being completely separate from the Windows version. Activision going to Activision, indeed.

This has nothing to do with Activision. The games were made by different companies and have no interaction at all. A lot of publishers do this by letting devs like Feral and Aspyr handle mac ports of their games.

JaseC

This has nothing to do with Activision. The games were made by different companies and have no interaction at all. A lot of publishers do this by letting devs like Feral and Aspyr handle mac ports of their games.

That's not true; Aspyr couldn't develop a Mac port without Acti's consent. ;)

JustinBB7

Cross post from the Dota 2 thread:

http://cdr.thebronasium.com/sub/16979

Dota 2 - Early Access registry entry got updated. I dunno what changed, I checked it on the store and it's still the same price and items as far as I can tell. Wonder what they changed. Dunno if anybody in this thread has more info on stuff like this.

Exuro

That's not true; Aspyr couldn't develop a Mac port without Acti's consent. ;)
You know what I mean. :p It's not an activision exclusive thing. They could of just not let Aspyr make the Mac port at all if they wanted. It's better even if it's a "crappy" practice.

Derrick01

Banned
It's a very old game. I think Company of Heroes has gotten close to that high of a discount as well.

But surprisingly playable on modern systems. Obviously, the texture resolution and low polygons don't make it great to look at, but the interface still feels very modern and has changed little in the years since, in the newer games.

I bought it last year, and it's the TW game I have the most hours in. Maybe because it's not horrendously poorly optimized like Shogun 2 (or maybe it is, but it's not very demanding on a modern PC). I also like that time period and setting.

Rome was never that hard to run. I got the game when it came out and we didn't even have a gaming PC back then, hell I wasn't even a PC gamer at all. I think I managed to read a magazine review on the game and thought it sounded awesome and bought it and I dumped well over 100 hours into it. It's still my favorite TW game, at least until 2 comes out next year, but I went ahead and picked it up again today since it's so cheap.

The worst part is sometimes having to chase routed enemy units across the whole map in order to get the battle to end and it's usually a cavalry unit since you can't really catch up to one easily. It could take over 10 minutes just doing that :(

I'm not sure how long it is going to take for the home consoles to completely drop retail. There are a few hurdles to be jumped first, chief among them, I think, is high speed internet access. There are plenty of places in the United States, just an hour outside of major markets, that do not have access to high speed internet yet. And, to make matters worse, the road map to when they'll get it is unclear as the major telecommunications companies don't think these markets are worth it (well, until the areas attempt to provide their own municipal services - but that's another story).

It's definitely a long ways away before it happens. I'm surrounded by areas where the only option for Internet is still 56K, but thankfully I'm not included in that. Another major hurdle is bandwidth caps. There's been months that my 250GB limit was extremely close to being met and that was only from downloading games. If I were into streaming video all of the time then it'd be a major issue.

I feel like progress in these areas has slowed down to an almost complete stop and it's frustrating to see. Internet providers typically offer higher bandwidth packages but the cost is just stupid so I guess greed is to blame for that one.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Haha, being a recent release, I decided to leave it as my Plan B should the Weekend Deals be unattractive. I also bought Sonic CD!
Tonight I'll catch up with you on the blue hedgehog's game. I thought about getting Generations too, but that would be too much.

I seriously don't know how you manage to buy so many games. I sometimes get a feeling of guilt when I think of all the music CD's I could be buying instead, or a nice mini component or new PC.

JaseC

Tonight I'll catch up with you on the blue hedgehog's game. I thought about getting Generations too, but that would be too much.

I seriously don't know how you manage to buy so many games. I sometimes get a feeling of guilt when I think of all the music CD's I could be buying instead, or a nice mini component or new PC.

I apply the Golden Rule of "Wait for the Daily Deals" to every day of my life.

Salsa

so no one's hosting a Castle Crashers fourpack?

wont buy at full price, but I really wanna play this co-op with a buddy so I have no choice but to succumb to their bad pricing

Tried to play Rusty Hearts, but I keep getting this patch error. This file isn't the same as this file. Verify integrity of game cache. Everything is fine. Go back to patching. Same error. Switch to patch #2. Still same error. A lot of other people have the same problem, but at different files in the patching process. Perfect World needs to QA their patches.
Deleted the file in question. It did not help me whatsoever lol. Up yours Perfect World! The 4 hours that was added to my game time, I was staring at the patcher haha.

I had no problem patching and playing Rusty Hearts before. Whatever, delete.

Salsa

Or you could... not buy it?

sure, but I wanna play it with my friend tonight

I dont like the price but I want the game, hence the fourpack, wich is a better deal

game should cost 10 bucks with a 10 percent discount, meaning 9 for now. Fourpack comes down to 11 bucks if im not mistaken. I'll deal.

Toki767

so no one's hosting a Castle Crashers fourpack?

wont buy at full price, but I really wanna play this co-op with a buddy so I have no choice but to succumb to their bad pricing

It's a hard sell at $15 for a 4 year old game with probably no real new addons. Even at $10 it's kind of a hard sell but at least a bit easier to swallow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom