• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Just started Max Payne 2 and it's got horrible jaggies and I'm stuck with a 4:3 resolution. It's got no ingame options to change any of that. Anybody know how to get some AA and custom resolution going? Max Payne 1 was relatively fine so this is just weird.
If you change the resolution in the launcher to a 16:9 one, it'll look horribly stretched, so your best choice would be sticking to 1024x768 and vertical black bars at the sides.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Set up a custom resolution for 1440x1080 and Max Payne will see it. You will get a pixel perfect 4:3 image for a 1080p monitor. Force AA through your video card control panel and you are good to go.

zkylon

zkylewd
Hey guys I just found a fresh new deal:

2 games for £10/$16 at getgamesgo

stronghold 3 gold edition - steamworks
warhammer 40k space marine - steamworks
binary domain - steamworks
men of war assault squad goty - steamworks
civilization v - steamworks
Man that's a great deal. Why do all great deals show up when I'm broke as fuck?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
So GAF, I just finished Red Faction (the first one). It's a nice game, but playing on impossible difficulty made it a lot harder than I would have liked. What do you think I should play next? I'm between Jet Set Radio (but that would mean starting yet another game) or continuing my Quantum Conundrum playthrough. But I also have like 15 more games that I've started and left unfinished (though I've completed Psychonauts 2 times before), so I don't know what to do.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I can't even beat the tutorial on JSR. Nailing 20 tricks in a row is close to impossible, my best was 17 and that's with many lucky jumps.

Whoa Max Payne 2 is so much better than Max Payne, it's not even funny.
Seriously? I thought 1 was much better, if only because of the story. And I wasn't too interested in
playing as Mona.

Nabs

Well, I can't even beat the tutorial on JSR. Nailing 20 tricks in a row is close to impossible, my best was 17 and that's with many lucky jumps.

Seriously? I thought 1 was much better, if only because of the story. And I wasn't too interested in
playing as Mona.

Forget the tutorial and start the campaign. If you really want 20, check this out.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Forget the tutorial and start the campaign. If you really want 20, check this out.
You know, that was actually similar to what I was trying to do! The problem is that I can't manage to wall ride the billboards (only did it 2 times out of luck), and when I jump from the last rail of the loop, I can't jump long enough to catch the next rail.

But seems I was on the right track there. I should avoid the frustration and start the campaing, as you say.

the comments lol

What other contemporary games measure up to the quality of Civ V?

Um... well there are plenty of games that surpass it? Gal civ 2 for one. If you want a game that is really similar there is Warlock. And depending on your definition of contemporary civ 4 is about ten times better than civ 5.

You guys ever had twitching issues when downloading a game on Steam? When i download a game and try to scroll on my game library it twitches.[for ex. i scroll up and it will scroll down for some reason]

Nabs

I've been playing Critter Crunch and it's been pretty fun. I made it through adventure mode (not 100%) and now I'm just going through trying to do the puzzle stuff. I hope more people pick it up on sale so we can play some VS.

the comments lol

haha, just noticed that.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
What's the best time to do Borderlands DLC? I'm going after the second part of the key right now.

After you've beaten the game, Zombie Island, General Knotts, Claptrap Revolution. Moxxi's can be kinda done whenever, it doesn't do anything to advance story and enemies are always scaling with level IIRC.

I've been playing Critter Crunch and it's been pretty fun. I made it through adventure mode (not 100%) and now I'm just going through trying to do the puzzle stuff. I hope more people pick it up on sale so we can play some VS.
Yeah, it's a pretty fun game. I still feel like I suck, though. I want Critter Crunch to be my this-gen Pokemon Puzzle League with online.

After you've beaten the game, Zombie Island, General Knotts, Claptrap Revolution. Moxxi's can be kinda done whenever, it doesn't do anything to advance story and enemies are always scaling with level IIRC.

So about what I was expecting, thanks.

Tannis is probably my favorite character so far. Sorry Claptrap.

Thanks for the answers. Im not really much into space and sci fi stuff.
Um... well there are plenty of games that surpass it? Gal civ 2 for one. If you want a game that is really similar there is Warlock. And depending on your definition of contemporary civ 4 is about ten times better than civ 5.
Contemporary as more or less released close to each other and at a similar technical level. Btw, why does everyone always said that 4 is better than 5?

All this Max Payne talk made me pick up the game again (I stopped playing around the 3rd chapter) and boy am I hooked. Last time I had my cousin looking over my shoulder and spouting bullshit so I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I do this time. Almost done with the first part I think.
reached Ragna Rock

Miker

All this Max Payne talk made me pick up the game again (I stopped playing around the 3rd chapter) and boy am I hooked. Last time I had my cousin looking over my shoulder and spouting bullshit so I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I do this time. Almost done with the first part I think.
reached Ragna Rock

Honestly I found Max Payne 1 to drag on. If any at time you're feeling bored of it, drop it and start Max Payne 2 - that game has near perfect pacing, partially due to it being really really short. Don't force yourself to finish Max Payne 1, get burned out on it, and not have the enthusiasm to play the second game, which is one of my favorites.

Thanks for the answers. Im not really much into space and sci fi stuff.

Contemporary as more or less released close to each other and at a similar technical level. Btw, why does everyone always said that 4 is better than 5?

Because unlike 5, 4's AI makes it so you don't feel like you're playing against a 2 year old pounding randomly on a keyboard.

I'm having an extremely odd problem with Steam. Whenever I dock my iPhone the software, and any games that are running, slow to a halt.

It seems to only be Steam and its games that are effected by this.

Any ideas?

Edit: Opting out of the beta fixed the problem. Strange!

Edit: Actually no it didn't! Whaaaaaaaaaat is going on here?

DTKT

I'm having an extremely odd problem with Steam. Whenever I dock my iPhone the software, and any games that are running, slow to a halt.

It seems to only be Steam and its games that are effected by this.

Any ideas?

Edit: Opting out of the beta fixed the problem. Strange!

Edit: Actually no it didn't! Whaaaaaaaaaat is going on here?

Are you running iTunes? Also, can you try a non-Steam game?

bigace33

Honestly I found Max Payne 1 to drag on. If any at time you're feeling bored of it, drop it and start Max Payne 2 - that game has near perfect pacing, partially due to it being really really short. Don't force yourself to finish Max Payne 1, get burned out on it, and not have the enthusiasm to play the second game, which is one of my favorites.

Max Payne 1 is one of the best games ever made. I would never suggest skipping it. Max Payne 2 is a fine game itself, but it is not as good as 1. I'd skip 2 before 1, and Max Payne 3 is amazing as well. Like a raw action flick, gritty and very satisfying.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Did you really get bored with MP1? I still think it's one of the best games I ever played, with a gameplay that holds up perfectly today.

Max Payne 1 is one of the best games ever made. I would never suggest skipping it. Max Payne 2 is a fine game itself, but it is not as good as 1. I'd skip 2 before 1, and Max Payne 3 is amazing as well. Like a raw action flick, gritty and very satisfying.
This man speaks only the truth. It's probably one of the best trilogies in gaming, if not the best.

Miker

Did you really get bored with MP1? I still think it's one of the best games I ever played, with a gameplay that holds up perfectly today.

I thought it dragged on a bit, but nothing too egregious. It's not that its gameplay hasn't aged well or anything, but the only thing that really changes is the environment. Weapons escalate a bit, but they're all still pistols/SMGs/rifles. Enemies get tougher and more plentiful, but they're not different in their behavior, from what I remember.

So, yeah, it just goes on too long, and considering Max Payne 2 is more of the same, just better, I'd say it's a good idea to drop MP1 and start MP2 if you have a backlog you're worried about.

Fireblend

Banned
Well, I'm about an hour and a half into Binary Domain and I can't decide if buying it was a bad decision, or the greatest decision
KuGsj.gif
damn is the dialog in this game cheesy, and the cutscene-then-shoot-and-repeat nature of the game is starting to bother me.

I have fresh mint copies of Civilization V and Torchlight 1 to give away. Would like to give both away to different GAF members. First to quote the game they wish to have and their steam ID (we will be friends now!) will receive it.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I have fresh mint copies of Civilization V and Torchlight 1 to give away. Would like to give both away to different GAF members. First to quote the game they wish to have and their steam ID (we will be friends now!) will receive it.

I want Civ 5 but I'd probably won't play it. So ...yeah lol. Just wanted to quote it

Well, I'm about an hour and a half into Binary Domain and I can't decide if buying it was a bad decision, or the greatest decision
KuGsj.gif
damn is the dialog in this game cheesy, and the cutscene-then-shoot-and-repeat nature of the game is starting to bother me.

Binary Domain is awesome

kurahador

KuGsj.gif

It gets better.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
KuGsj.gif

The further in you are, the better it gets. The dialogue gets weirder and your guns get stronger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom