• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I'm genuinely confused about how anime is apparently racist. I really don't follow that logic at all.

Phil just likes to shit on things he doesn't like for no specific reason, as most trolls do, even more so when people listen to them :p

Even his argument that people with anime avatars post sexist and racist things can basically be associated with his trolling adventures on Twitter. Generalizations of large groups of diverse people are always fun to use as bait, I guess.

There Fish I "animefied" you.

I hope senpai releases Fez II today.

Jawmuncher

All of the Fish drama I just shrug my shoulders at.
If the game is good the game is good. I could care less how the guy who made it acts, it it's not affecting me directly.

zkylon

zkylewd
tits fortunately got a lot better at the final stretch of chapter 2. hopefully cave town will be a bit more fun than university town

how many chapters are there? 4?

Volimar

Divinity keeps punishing me for being stupid.

"I'm sure this ginormous orc won't mind if I dig up his brother for his sweet armor right in front of him."

Whoops.

Holy shit how can people tolerate such terrible camera that Metal Gear Rising has? It has mind of its own and it's really afraid of enemies so it constantly tries to look away from them.

Well, it's a pretty bad camera - definitely... however, you don't need to see everything around you to know where to attack or when to counter (since enemies flash just before attacking.).

The camera monies went into cinematics, I bet. And it paid off in spades.

"I'm sure this ginormous orc won't mind if I dig up his brother for his sweet armor right in front of him."

Whoops.

Divinity rewards both stupidity and ingenuity in wholly unique ways.

maneil99

I remember making that once in 5th class. I got an expensive toy and the other guy got a cheap chocolate bar. To my defense, I didn't know what I was even doing.

How was it last year? Sounds fun tbh. Sharing is caring, giving is fulfilling etc.
----
Lol at Fish regarding anime avatars. He gotta be trolling. Not all with them even watch anime. No sense at all. It's just a method, a blank slate. You can have moe crap alongside mature and sophisticated stories.

I don't think it's been done yet

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
tits fortunately got a lot better at the final stretch of chapter 2. hopefully cave town will be a bit more fun than university town

how many chapters are there? 4?

Yep, four chapters not including the prologue.

I don't know why I waited this long to post this because now I feel dumb for not checking the thread beforehand ._.

Guys, I need your help making a decision. I have $15 in my Steam wallet, and want to spend it on something. Should I get The Forest (a game I've been looking forward to for a while but just haven't got around to buying), Insurgency (a game I'm not sure that I'd like but that I like the concept of), or wait for the new specials to go up tomorrow and see if something else catches my fancy?

I'd hate to buy one of those two and then have something I've been waiting for a sale on for a while like STALKER or Kerbal go on sale tomorrow.

Just wait until tomorrow and see what the specials are.

MattyG

Banned
Guys, I need your help making a decision. I have $15 in my Steam wallet, and want to spend it on something. Should I get The Forest (a game I've been looking forward to for a while but just haven't got around to buying), Insurgency (a game I'm not sure that I'd like but that I like the concept of), or wait for the new specials to go up tomorrow and see if something else catches my fancy?

I'd hate to buy one of those two and then have something I've been waiting for a sale on for a while like STALKER or Kerbal go on sale tomorrow.

Jawmuncher

Wait for specials and then Forest since you were more excited.
Insurgency was on sale recently and you can just wait on that again.

Jawmuncher

Yeah, this sounds like the best option. Thanks for the input! Specials go up at 1 EST, right?

There's also Midweek and Weekend deals if you want to wait even longer.
But The Forest being EA and pretty popular probably won't get a huge sale like that during the week.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

You might as well wait for the Weeklies, but as far as The Forest and Insurgency are concerned, you can pick up the former for five keys ($12.15 at current market prices) and the latter for three keys ($7.29 at current market prices). If the Weeklies don't tickle your fancy then you could add $5 to your wallet and pick up both.

MattyG

Banned
There's also Midweek and Weekend deals if you want to wait even longer.
But The Forest being EA and pretty popular probably won't get a huge sale like that during the week.
Yeah, that's what I figured. I'm only balking at getting The Forest right this instant because while I love the concept, look and everything, I keep hearing how buggy it is and how little there is to do in it. It seems like it's worth the $15, but not if it's as much of a mess as I've heard, and I feel like that $15 could go a lot further with a little patience.

You might as well wait for the Weeklies, but as far as The Forest and Insurgency are concerned, you can pick up the former for five keys ($12.15 at current market prices) and the latter for three keys ($7.29 at current market prices).
This is a really good oppurtunity to ask; what the hell are these keys I keep hearing about? I just got into the PC scene in March, and I've heard so much about "keys" and trading them for stuff, but I don't know how to get them, how to trade them, etc.

Myshkin

Whoops.
That orc shouldn't have been lingering around the grave anyway. Kill him before his own kind do.

Ozium

Was considering getting Tango Fiesta with my GMG credits but was able to snatch it up for a Key and a ToD ticket...

based putin

zkylon

zkylewd
tbh i think both laras look pretty bad

i mean they're hi fidelity and all but neither has an interesting face or expression so really more dollish face or not doesn't really matter to me

JaseC

This is a really good oppurtunity to ask; what the hell are these keys I keep hearing about? I just got into the PC scene in March, and I've heard so much about "keys" and trading them for stuff, but I don't know how to get them, how to trade them, etc.

It's a catch-all term that refers to TF2 keys or CS:GO keys (Dota 2 keys have fallen out of favour due to their lower prices). You can buy them from the Steam Community Market, however it's also possible to source cheaper "second-hand" keys from other Steam users, although obviously there's an element of risk in paying for a Steam item using real money. Sub Zero is SteamGAF's resident key trader and I believe he recently dropped his price down to $1.80 per TF2 key, which would save you a fair amount.

As far as buying is concerned, see my post here (what I should have added is that when a trader asks for half a key s/he's referring to a Tour of Duty ticket, although CS:GO's Sticker Capsule keys are also generally accepted). Dispenser's bots almost entirely automate the trading process and there are instructions on the trade listing pages, so it's quite easy to use.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I google her new look because of your comment.

I wouldn't call her "retarded", but yeah, definitive edition is a downgrade.

Wider eyes is a the problem. They stretched them vertical for the new resolution or something so the pupils look "off."

Goddamn it, and I just bought Farming Sim '13 Titanium for -80% off with my KoF '13 Badge coupon gift!

STEAMMMMMMMMMMM! *shakes fist*

MattyG

Banned
It's a catch-all term that refers to TF2 keys or CS:GO keys (Dota 2 keys have fallen out of favour due to their lower prices). You can buy them from the Steam Community Market, however it's also possible to source cheaper "second-hand" keys from other Steam users, although obviously there's an element of risk in paying for a Steam item using real money. Sub Zero is SteamGAF's resident key trader and I believe he recently dropped his price down to $1.80 per TF2 key, which would save you a fair amount.

As far as buying is concerned, see my post here (what I should have added is that when a trader asks for half a key s/he's referring to a Tour of Duty ticket, although CS:GO's Sticker Capsule keys are also generally accepted). Dispenser's bots almost entirely automate the trading process and there are instructions on the trade listing pages, so it's quite easy to use.
This seems really complicated. But I could get both of them for $20 total if I buy them with keys? Is there anything that can go wrong? Because that's my main concern. I don't want to screw something up and be out $20 with nothing to show for it.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
This seems really complicated. But I could get both of them for $20 total if I buy them with keys? Is there anything that can go wrong? Because that's my main concern. I don't want to screw something up and be out $20 with nothing to show for it.

As long as you go with decent traders with good reputations, or, better still, traders on Neogaf with good reputations, you should be fine. Just proceed with caution.

zkylon

zkylewd

it's not complicated at all

you search for the game and how you wanna pay (tf/doto/csgo keys) and get a trade invite like a minute from a bot

it's pretty unfuckupable

JaseC

Theoretically you could lose the games because of a chargeback, but in these cases you could just ask Valve for the keys back and buy the games again albeit from someone else.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Team Fortress 2, which is an online shooter, has a store where you can buy items for your character, that include hats and modified weapons. Just by playing the game, you get items. One of the types of items you can get is a "crate", which is basically a mystery box that could contain many items. The crates themselves have very little value--but you can't open a crate without a key. You can buy the keys for $2.49 in the TF2 store. So basically it's a cash gambling system.

The reason why they're relevant is that because they have a relatively fixed value, they work as a sort of surrogate currency for trading. So if someone is a Russian Steam user and they can buy you a gift copy of a $45 USD game for $15 USD, they can trade it to you, but how do you pay them? Well, you can pay them in keys. It's sort of a money laundering thing too. The value of keys for cash is less than $2.49--and people with keys can resell them further, often for paypal.

MattyG

Banned
Theoretically you could lose the games because of a chargeback, but in these cases you could just ask Valve for the keys back and buy the games again albeit from someone else.

it's not complicated at all

you search for the game and how you wanna pay (tf/doto/csgo keys) and get a trade invite like a minute from a bot

it's pretty unfuckupable

As long as you go with decent traders with good reputations, or, better still, traders on Neogaf with good reputations, you should be fine. Just proceed with caution.

Team Fortress 2, which is an online shooter, has a store where you can buy items for your character, that include hats and modified weapons. Just by playing the game, you get items. One of the types of items you can get is a "crate", which is basically a mystery box that could contain many items. The crates themselves have very little value--but you can't open a crate without a key. You can buy the keys for $2.49 in the TF2 store. So basically it's a cash gambling system.

The reason why they're relevant is that because they have a relatively fixed value, they work as a sort of surrogate currency for trading. So if someone is a Russian Steam user and they can buy you a gift copy of a $45 USD game for $15 USD, they can trade it to you, but how do you pay them? Well, you can pay them in keys. It's sort of a money laundering thing too. The value of keys for cash is less than $2.49--and people with keys can resell them further, often for paypal.
Thanks for the replys. So I just buy the keys in the Steam marketplace, and trade them for the games on the site Jase linked? Is that it, or am I missing something? And is this how most of you buy most of your games? It seems weird that EVERYONE isn't doing this.

Sorry for all the dumb questions, I have no idea what I'm doing.

Ozium

I don't understand the TF2 key panic... I get they are removing Dota 2 keys, but they already did that a while ago (to a lesser extent) and there was a rush to sell DOTA 2 keys..

TF2 meanwhile introduces two new crates (the audition reel, requiring a normal TF2 key) and the summer crate requiring its own key..

I really don't think TF2 key market/mann co. store is going anywhere.

Thanks for the replys. So I just buy the keys in the Steam marketplace, and trade them for the games on the site Jase linked? Is that it, or am I missing something? And is this how most of you buy most of your games? It seems weird that EVERYONE isn't doing this.

Sorry for all the dumb questions, I have no idea what I'm doing.

buy them from somewhere else if you want to save money.. the market is about $.50 more for each key

MattyG

Banned
I don't understand the TF2 key panic... I get they are removing Dota 2 keys, but they already did that a while ago (to a lesser extent) and there was a rush to sell DOTA 2 keys..

TF2 meanwhile introduces two new crates (the audition reel, requiring a normal TF2 key) and the summer crate requiring its own key..

I really don't think TF2 key market/mann co. store is going anywhere.

buy them from somewhere else if you want to save money.. the market is about $.50 more for each key
Crap, I only have Steam wallet funds right now. I'll have to remember to not buy Steam wallet credit next time I do this.

zkylon

zkylewd
Well the trader could do a chargeback.
But thats a 1 in 10.
i guess it can happen but it'd be pretty strange specially if you buy from trusted ppl

exactly

i buy some games like that cos i can buy the keys with card money but it's kind of a hassle so i generally just buy shit straight from the store

Crap, I only have Steam wallet funds right now. I'll have to remember to not buy Steam wallet credit next time I do this.
yeah the market is overpriced but if you don't want to go with the bother of looking for key sellers i'd say it's ok

i mean i enjoy steam because of how easy it is to get games, if i have to go through 3 different channels just to buy a game that's a pretty stressing experience

Wider eyes is a the problem. They stretched them vertical for the new resolution or something so the pupils look "off."
Eyes size also seemed off to me.
I prefer the definitive edition face myself, though they both look good to me.
I personally think a sad/exhausted look fits better with the game's atmosphere.
And that's exactly why everyone doesn't do it. Well, that and some people respect the terrorist's law.
3fe.gif

MTE

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.

- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Dustforce -- MB-2E8CCF112AE093BC - Taken by NightmareTrigger. 6 entrants total.

t1408332204z1.png

Whee!

Sarcasm

Everything done in steam, especially the trade window is tracked.

What you want to avoid is trading outside of steam, example paypal**

**For the most case within neogaf this is fine, but still heed caution.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
And that's exactly why everyone doesn't do it. Well, that and some people respect the terrorist's law.

All hail the glory of the Terror Lord.

yeah the market is overpriced but if you don't want to go with the bother of looking for key sellers i'd say it's ok

i mean i enjoy steam because of how easy it is to get games, if i have to go through 3 different channels just to buy a game that's a pretty stressing experience

I usually tend to go through Gaf members I trust via Pay Pal before resorting to using keys, both of which I've only done a few times. Gotta keep ES' market transactions balance in check :p

zkylon

zkylewd
I usually tend to go through Gaf members I trust via Pay Pal before resorting to using keys, both of which I've only done a few times. Gotta keep ES' market transactions balance in check :p

yea i generally just use paypal and just buy the game but i had a lot of wallet money from buying that doto mouse that came with that doto item so my hand was forced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom