• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Autumn Sale 2016 Thread: Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for Christmas Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backlogger

So I grabbed the $20 Steam Link deal from Amazon and very impresssed. I had been using a PC that was having major frame loss in BPM. I was literally only using the PC for Streaming. The Link works great and Streamlines the whole thing.

Highly recommend esp at that price.

Bought my first sale game, Inside. Although on GOG.

Extremely nice looking game, but I'm not sure that it's actually that fun to play. Those "dogs chasing me!" sequences got old very quickly, and some other sequences drag on for way too long.

Yeah the game is completely unoptimized.

I was hoping to play it on an older setup I have here since the game also runs on PS3/Xbox 360, but it literally runs 1 fps in the opening scene.

It ran fine on my old laptop, I think it's probably a problem with your machine, make sure you are not using the integrated graphics gpu.

Haunted

1) Why is Titanfall 2 SP so good.
2) Why isn't this on Steam? The word of mouth would be crazy during sales.
3) Why does it look so good on my aging system? (We know the answer)
4) Not a question: Damn, it feels good to play this with a Steam Controller.
I've just heard good things about the campaign, so I'll get that game for sure when it's available on Steam.

clav

make sure you are not using the integrated graphics gpu.

I'm not.

Perhaps we have different definitions of old setups. Running on a 9800 GT card with 1 GB VRAM.

Runs the same regardless of high/medium/low settings.

Apparently the game's engine craves VRAM, so I suppose on a slow hard drive that caches textures will greatly kill performance.

I'm not.

Perhaps we have different definitions of old setups. Running on a 9800 GT card with 1 GB VRAM.

Apparently the game's engine craves VRAM, so I suppose on a slow hard drive that caches textures will greatly kill performance.
I played it on a laptop with a 650M with 2GB of VRAM and a regular hdd (not a ssd) and it ran fine at medium. really weird, maybe someone with more knowledge can give some explanation.

edit: oh, you have a 9800, I thought you had a 980, that card is really old, no wonder it doesn't run well.

I was hoping to play it on an older setup I have here since the game also runs on PS3/Xbox 360, but it literally runs 1 fps in the opening scene.

I'm not.

Lol, come ON. Complaining of a bad port when your GPU is less than half their minimum spec.

clav

I played it on a laptop with a 650M with 2GB of VRAM and a regular hdd (not a ssd) and it ran fine at medium. really weird, maybe someone with more knowledge can give some explanation.

edit: oh, you have a 9800, I thought you had a 980, that card is really old, no wonder it doesn't run well.

Yeah. We have different definitions.

Lol, come ON. Complaining of a bad port when your GPU is less than half their minimum spec.

:lol what happens when you salvage a free PC of used/old parts.

Still though. Game runs on Xbox 360/PS3, which this setup is perfectly capable of running things at that benchmark. It shouldn't run it as a slideshow.

Now that I've read about the whole ID Tech engine 5 and how bad it is compared to what's powering Doom 2016, I now know this game is a shitty port.

Ah well. Guess I'll have to wait until I get back to my main setup to play it, which is where console is an option.

yuraya

Is Watch Doges 2 fully released worldwide now? Because if so its not doing too good. Only 10k concurrent atm. See how much better it does tomorrow but still the first one peaked at 48k so this isn't good news for Ubisoft.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is Watch Doges 2 fully released worldwide now? Because if so its not doing too good. Only 10k concurrent atm. See how much better it does tomorrow but still the first one peaked at 48k so this isn't good news for Ubisoft.

Pretty much. Japan is the only country on the waiting list.

Tizoc

Posting some Bionic Commando 2009 screenshots I took.

I had to fiddle in NVidia Inspector to get VSYNC and AA working. For whatever reason all the settings apply when I turn on FXAA, even when I set it to use MSAA and Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan AA @_@

devilmaycry4specialed7hupo.png

man i love going back to older titles/remasters to play them at 1440p with my new monitor. gorgeous

Tizoc

bionic commando was awesome

It has its flaws but it's an otherwise decent action game. The checkpoint system could've been better and the swining over death pits/rivers can be annyoing if one doesn't plan his swings properly, even though the game does give some leeway on how to swing to the next drone.

xezuru

Having quick bursts of playing Towerclimb, got to The Heart and jeebus. Can't wait to be solid enough in game knowledge to do the real shit.

Xanathus

When's Winter sale? I'm trying to decide whether or not to pick up a game that I may or may not be start playing until mid-late December.
edit: nevermind I just googled and it was leaked to be Dec 22nd

Jadax

Ok so just installed Skyrim (vanilla, without dlcs). I was looking for the best mods, what I have so far:

SkyUI, Quality World Map, SMIM, 2k Textures Pack, Unofficial Skyrim Patch.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Spares:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 9 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Shadow Ninja: Apocalypse -- MB-7C40B4B72059161F - Taken by bobnowhere
The Return Home -- MB-1636FB304C460D38 - Taken by rainking187
Etaria -- MB-0282411613C12853 - Taken by madjoki
Cosmolands -- MB-8FFD18D0F695A871 - Taken by Ludens
GrottyScape -- MB-0F951C3FD9DF8CF2 - Taken by Lord Snow
Stoneback -- MB-06034598DD99C010 - Taken by Reverse Flash
The Last Hope -- MB-7DBE1A11AA286401 - Taken by Vuze
Reed -- MB-072A410CE86BFCAC - Taken by Baron_Calamity
Impossiball -- MB-8B783BAE541A9FDC - Taken by Eila

Why have so many games none or just partly (steam) controller support? I dont get it, even many of the games you just play with keyboard are lacking this option. Its not well implemented. The devs should get a bonus if they implement steam controller support for their games. Also steam is lacking in its desciriptions when the game is just partly controller supporting. What does this even mean?

Maybe im missing some background info about it.

Wok

Gave a whirl to Wheels of Aurelia too, which I won some days ago. Got two endings (
in one I die, in the other I become a F1 driver
), but that says very little since each play session doesn't seem to last too long, though maybe it's also affected by your decisions along the way.
It's... an interesting experience, but also a weird game. I wish I could speed up my dialogue choices once I picked my line.

This is the dev's manifesto: http://actofplay.com/rejecta/

I bought Furi and the game is pure sex.

You did good, the game is GOTY material.

Now that I've read about the whole ID Tech engine 5 and how bad it is compared to what's powering Doom 2016, I now know this game is a shitty port.

No. The only thing we have learned is that you don't know what a shitty "port" is or what optimization means.

You are trying not only to play a game with a graphics card that's way under minimum requirements (and I bet the card isn't the only thing that's under minimum) but with a card that released 2003.

This is NOT bad optimization. That's user error.

T-Rex.

Banned
Weird, Tropico activated just fine but on the email confirmation the section where it says "key" for Shadow of Mordor is blank and it isn't showing up in my Uplay either.
Quoting myself here, but has anyone who had a similar issue receive their key yet?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I wish there was a Watch Doges. Instead, we have a paint by numbers in yet another sequel.

Megauap

I'm still waiting to receive my key for Shadows of Mordor GOTY bought yesterday with the ubi glitch. Received the confirmation email but the space where the key is supposed to go was blank.

Grief.exe

So... why didn't anyone remind potential buyers that Wolfenstein New Order was a bad port?

This game seems to be more suited for consoles (1080p/60 fps locked).

I'm not.

OXMjF6R.gif

This is almost parody.

Yeah. We have different definitions.

:lol what happens when you salvage a free PC of used/old parts.

Still though. Game runs on Xbox 360/PS3, which this setup is perfectly capable of running things at that benchmark. It shouldn't run it as a slideshow.

Ah well. Guess I'll have to wait until I get back to my main setup to play it, which is where console is an option.
I get that you are disappointed, but that's not how it works. Your 2008 card is struggling with a AAA game from 2014, which is nothing chocking. The fact that it's on Xbox 360/PS3 is completely irrelevant, for several reasons. First off, it's not the version being ported to PC (it's a port of the PS4/X1 version). Secondly, when you release a game these days you optimize after current market, not the old market. Which means you won't see developers optimize their games for a 6 year old mid-range graphics card.

Tizoc

I know it's early but I PMed a Mod to see if I can put up the Dec. Steam thread I wrote up real quick once the sale ends :p I know Dec. 1st isn't for another 24 Australian hours, but what's one day early ;P

PantsuJo

GAF, some times ago I launched DMC4 on my job laptop (classic i3 2Ghz, 8gb ram, hd4400) and it ran at fucking 120 FPS... but it was the old "vanilla" version, so no surprise :D

The new Special Edition with Vergil and other goods seems to have revamped graphics and I'm not sure if it's playable on the same hardware.
What do you think, GAF? Can the same laptop run the new DMC4?

Tizoc

GAF, some times ago I launched DMC4 on my job laptop (classic i3 2Ghz, 8gb ram, hd4400) and it ran at fucking 120 FPS... but it was the old "vanilla" version, so no surprise :D

The new Special Edition with Vergil and other goods seems to have revamped graphics and I'm not sure if it's playable on the same hardware.

Well...there are Steam Refunds now in case your lappy can't be Motivated to run DMC4 SE :p

data

Intel HD4400? I don't think so, last I checked an Intel HD4000 gets 30fps in the new version. It's a really bad port.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
man wht is it with swamp zones always being shitty in every game.

nobody likes swamps damn it!

Regginator

I'm not.

1385.gif

Kaleinc

Banned

The visuals are the same (even worse because of awful vaseline blur), it just runs like shit.

Regarding Musou.

I bought DQH a few days ago and while its fun, the constant cutscenes annoy me. I mean not even FF has that many cutscenes. It seems almost every second mission you get a 3-5 minute CG cutscene...

So I grabbed the $20 Steam Link deal from Amazon and very impresssed. I had been using a PC that was having major frame loss in BPM. I was literally only using the PC for Streaming. The Link works great and Streamlines the whole thing.

Highly recommend esp at that price.

Yep, it's a neat little thing. Easy to use and runs great. And includes everything in the box, which surprised me. HDMI cable and Ethernet cable, both included. Along with every possible electrical outlet adapter.

Tested it with a bunch of games and noticed no issues

Binding of Isaac Rebirth ran great (no noticeable input lag)
Skyrim (heavily modded) ran perfectly
Sonic All Star Racing: Transformed ran perfect
Sonic Generations (lightly modded) ran perfect
Injustice ran perfect (no noticed input lag)
Sega Genesis Collection ran like poopy, but I think that's the new emulator program they updated with and not Steam Link, as they were pretty clearly emulator issues (frame rate problems and sound cutting off). The old pre-update emulator wasn't picking up the controller for some reason, but I think that would probably work better.

And this is on a middle of the road gaming PC, nothing obscenely expensive or ultra cutting edge. But these aren't exactly taxing games.

Gave me tons of warnings before using it that it wouldn't work due to 20% packet loss, but that was just a myth because I noticed no packet loss at all. I don't really play games online with a controller, so I'm not sure if it's bad there, but single player games run perfectly, and those are the games I bought it for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom