• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam "Exploration Sale" -- i.e. Autumn Sale -- now live (November 26 - December 2)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Philippines. Oh Drats! Yep, Its there with Dawn of Discovery and a paltry 40% discount. Time to find a russian bear.

Eastern Europe also got Dawn of Discovery for some reason. Even taking into account the RUB price, 75% off Anno 1404 in EUR territories is still the cheapest option.

oipic

Regarding Endless Legend, I picked that up yesterday and played for about 2 hours. I had the same impression of the UI from screenshots but playkng it it's actually really clean and orderly. Have you played Endless Space? It's very similar.

Before playing Endless Legend, I thought the UI may be a case of form ahead of function in parts (based on watching let's plays etc), but once I start twiddling the knobs and pulling all the levers of the various in-game systems myself, it all made sense pretty quickly. I'd prefer if the workers were a little less fiddly to shuffle about (seem to use that function a lot, and it's worthy of more UI space), but right-clicking to exit or close any screen, and other little touches like that, are pretty nifty.

Great game, and I find more to love each time I play it, and as I better understand its way of doing things. Having to 'unlearn' some deeply ingrained Civ habits, though.

I heartily recommend this to any strategy fans, particularly those who've lost many hours to Civ, when the time and price suits.

Nokterian

On a fence to buy NBA 2k15...been a longtime since i played a basketball game and i mean a long time on PC. Back in the 90's i played the hell out of NBA Live from EA Sports that was when they made great basketball games. Is it worth it gaf?

alstein

Before playing Endless Legend, I thought the UI may be a case of form ahead of function in parts (based on watching let's plays etc), but once I start twiddling the knobs and pulling all the levers of the various in-game systems myself, it all made sense pretty quickly. I'd prefer if the workers were a little less fiddly to shuffle about (seem to use that function a lot, and it's worthy of more UI space), but right-clicking to exit or close any screen, and other little touches like that, are pretty nifty.

Great game, and I find more to love each time I play it, and as I better understand its way of doing things. Having to 'unlearn' some deeply ingrained Civ habits, though.

I heartily recommend this to any strategy fans, particularly those who've lost many hours to Civ, when the time and price suits.

I've been spoiled I think too much by the UI in more namebrand games such as AOW3/Civ 5/GalCiv3/Sorcerer King.

Overall, while I've heard good about EL, given my lack of desire to play it, and my desire to play AOW3 more despite being older- I'd suggest AOW3 over EL. (and Sorcerer King as well though it's not on sale- that game is going to be GOOD when finished)

On a fence to buy NBA 2k15...been a longtime since i played a basketball game and i mean a long time on PC. Back in the 90's i played the hell out of NBA Live from EA Sports that was when they made great basketball games. Is it worth it gaf?

You'll be blown away if you haven't played a 2K NBA game before.

Wanace

i don't know what's wrong with me but i'm tempted to get 7 days to die
someone halp

I have a lot of fun with that game! The devs have really put a lot of effort into it. I bought it at full price. I think I got it when it was in Alpha 6, now it's in Alpha 10.

Still in Alpha but already a lot of fun, tons of crafting, huge challenge.

I have a lot of fun with that game! The devs have really put a lot of effort into it. I bought it at full price. I think I got it when it was in Alpha 6, now it's in Alpha 10.

Still in Alpha but already a lot of fun, tons of crafting, huge challenge.

are they planning on changing the weapon/characters animations and models ? it's really the biggest turn off for me atm

also i heard some stuff about the zombies knowing where you are at night, is it true ?

ViviOggi

Yeah they've pulled off some smart little things with the UI. I agree about the worker menu, the symbols are tiny, but the drag & drop system still makes it way less of a chore than in Civ where I've always found it incredibly annoying to get the allocation right.

For anyone one the fence: the game isn't region locked *wink wink*

Wanace

are they planning on changing the weapon/characters animations and models ? it's really the biggest turn off for me atm

also i heard some stuff about the zombies knowing where you are at night, is it true ?

It used to be that the zombies would hunt you down no matter what at night, now you can clear areas of zombies and make them safe. There is a feral horde that spawns every 7 days which can hunt you down though.

So no, zombies can't just automatically find you anymore. There is a sneaking system that has three levels - undetected, sensed, and hunted.

And yeah, character models and animations are still ugly. They did finally implement a "character creation" system which is not that attractive. Also clothing/armor models now appear on your character.

Still a lot of fun even with the ugliness.

It used to be that the zombies would hunt you down no matter what at night, now you can clear areas of zombies and make them safe. There is a feral horde that spawns every 7 days which can hunt you down though.

So no, zombies can't just automatically find you anymore. There is a sneaking system that has three levels - undetected, sensed, and hunted.

And yeah, character models and animations are still ugly. They did finally implement a "character creation" system which is not that attractive. Also clothing/armor models now appear on your character.

Still a lot of fun even with the ugliness.

alrighty, thanks

Pachimari

Excellent Sunday morning to have some coffee, enjoy some Thanksgiving leftovers, and play Max Payne 2.

I noticed you played it yesterday yeah. I really have to get around to Max 1 and 2. Never completed them but they have such an immense atmosphere.

Completed Max Payne 3 earlier in the year and it was a total drag.

Grief.exe

I noticed you played it yesterday yeah. I really have to get around to Max 1 and 2. Never completed them but they have such an immense atmosphere.

Completed Max Payne 3 earlier in the year and it was a total drag.

I find that the original Max Payne 1 and 2 are timeless classics, the gameplay will always have merit.

Remedy's attention to detail in these games was always astounding. The amount of objects that have physics and you can interact with is quite impressive. A tradition that Rocktar carried over to the third game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
OP updated:

Current 48-hour dailies (US prices):
dailies48_dec15lcfq.jpg

(Note: Train Sim is 85% off, with the DLC being 50% off.)

t1417543200z4.png

Previous 48-hour Dailies (US prices):
dailies48_nov30clcki.jpg

t1417456800z4.png

Current 24-hour Dailies (US prices):
dailies24_dec10ninp.jpg

t1417456800z4.png

cicero

The pace of this Steam sales thread seems almost glacial compared to the somewhat insane frantic nature of previous threads. I kind of miss that hyped up crazy feel.

Durante

I would urge everyone to check out the two 3s in todays sale: Risen 3 and Age of Wonders 3. Both are great games for fans of their respective genres.

The pace of this Steam sales thread seems almost glacial compared to the somewhat insane frantic nature of previous threads. I kind of miss that hyped up crazy feel.
That's because for previous sales, the Steam "community" thread was closed. Now it's still open.

Worst day so far. Haven't purchased anything at all. Feels...weird?
In terms of quality of games on offer, I think it's easily the best day. Of course this means that gentlemen of refinement and taste will already own them.

Dario ff

Banned
33% off for the game that reignited my love in RPGs (and gaming in general) this year seems fair to me. :D

Although it's not a big enough discount for the people who have a passing interest on it to jump in.

Top Bottom