• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT2| The valiant never taste of death but once

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yakkue

I've got Fallout and Fallout 2 via GOG. Any reason to get them on Steam, I assume they're both identical.

The saves have Steam Cloud support now, and they both have "default" and "classic" modes. Default mode allows for higher resolutions and classic is the unmodified, original game.

Tellaerin

More RPGs should stop catering to boring knight in shining armor playthroughs. There's nothing more boring than having everything go exactly your way in a game like that.

What you call boring, I find gratifying. I like being able to do good things for decent people in an RPG and, with some work, have things turn out the way I want them to. Ideally without having to screw someone over in the process because "blah blah shades of grey blah blah more interesting". Yes, I know life is all about making hard choices and not always having shit go your way. I know it well enough that I don't enjoy constantly having it stuck in my face in the games I play, too. :p

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Wait, that's for my own birthday right? Not for Steam-anniversary. I don't see it, it's my Steam anniversary, not my birthday. Don't fool me shackles! :p

That should be showing up if it's the anniversary of the date you opened your Steam account
as long as you're using Enhanced Steam for Chrome

Kadin

The saves have Steam Cloud support now, and they both have "default" and "classic" modes. Default mode allows for higher resolutions and classic is the unmodified, original game.
Steam cloud is a big plus, thanks for pointing that out.

GSN7BEoqrOiv.png

Dear Nether,
WHY?
Sincerely,
Mavs

That isn't what I'm asking for.

I'm asking for a way through the game that doesn't require my character be evil.

House would die even if you don't kill him. They made it clear he'd be dead if it wasn't for his chamber.
How do you get the NCR to the final showdown without slaughtering the BOS? I'm not saying it isn't possible just that it sure as hell wasn't something a large percentage of players could do. I either didn't pick up the questline or didn't have the skill/stats for it. I tried multiple times and never found a way to do it.

The perils of picking a faction in a post apocalyptic wasteland where everyone hates each other. I don't see what's wrong with this. It's a clear design choice and if if upsets you, well, you're probably not supposed to be happy about it.

Yeah but that's a designed experience. It is life in the wastes not because of player choice but because that's the particular life in the wastes that Obsidian has forced on you.

I'm not saying a forced choice or an imposed negative solution to a problem is better or worse than a binary morality system, just that it can't really be exempt from the same criticisms. It takes the exact same branching path... and cuts off one of the branches.

The Witcher does it best.

How is the situation "forced on you"? The game offers you choices the writer(s) felt appropriate for their setting. That's the game.

Zeliard

Exactly. At least cater to the play styles you expect your audience to have. What percentage of people white knight their way through morality choices in rpgs? I'm guessing most. While it awesome to have to choose between the lesser of two evils in a game Obsidian made it so that I had to be a murdering asshole to see any ending at all. Not cool.
Witcher 1 did grey choices much better.

You're not going to and shouldn't get to be the sparkling, faultless, heroic saint trying to get through life in a post-apocalyptic wasteland where everybody feeds on the misery of everyone else.

Allowing for that pure sort of Light Side character is a significant and completely nonsensical contrast to the setting you're in, because if the setting contains any internal logic whatsoever, that character gets mercilessly killed within a day or two for being so naive and ineffectual.

And you can actually get through the game without killing anyone by using deceit and persuasion, so your earlier comment that "literally every questline forces you to slaughter defenseless people" is quite off-base, to say the least.

i think this summer sale is dissapointing. not a lot of games that i dont own or want

for me this sale has been better than the past year and a half imo, I actually bought something this time around(only 1 game though, Naruto, which by the way is awesome.) Amazon normally has a pretty sweet summer sale. I wonder if they're still going to do theirs, or if it passed already and I just so happened to miss it. Theres took place more or less around the same time as Steam's did.

MikeDown

Banned
DniVaxp.png

So I'm giving away one of the games in the banner above, which one though is a mystery.

Instructions/Rules/Stuff for participants:

-If you would like to take part in this give away you must draw a picture depicting the chaos of the Steam Summer Sale.

- You can rush it or take your time, the deadline is 10:41 PST; giving you about nine hours or so. (Also if someone could come up with some sort of countdown clock that I could embed that would be awesome!)

- When you post your artwork in the thread, please PM a link to your post so I keep track of everyone's submissions.

- I will not be judging, I'm leaving that job up to my sister. Here is her steam profile if you want to bribe her: http://steamcommunity.com/id/lordpooky :p

- Sometime after 9:41, I will post here letting people know who one and then I will gift that person the game over Steam.

Hopefully it will be fun and plenty straight forward. And if I have money after buying my new monitor and speakers then I will do some more of these before the sale ends, because having one game to give away originally wasn't my intention. EDIT: Also I will be reposting this throughout the day.

t1403678400z4.png

The_Monk

That should be showing up if it's the anniversary of the date you opened your Steam account
as long as you're using Enhanced Steam for Chrome

Of course I'm using the best Chrome Extension! :) Version 6.3.5, just checked. I'm I doing something wrong? Is it an option I need to enable somewhere? I want confetti's :(

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
New Vegas: Writing, story, characters, dialouges, quests, gameplay, balance, choice system, alliance system.
3: Soundtrack, setting.

IMO

Chariot

DniVaxp.png

So I'm giving away one of the games in the banner above, which one though is a mystery.

Instructions/Rules/Stuff for participants:

-If you would like to take part in this give away you must draw a picture depicting the chaos of the Steam Summer Sale.

- You can rush it or take your time, the deadline is 10:41 PST; giving you about nine hours or so. (Also if someone could come up with some sort of countdown clock that I could embed that would be awesome.)

- When you post your artwork in the thread, please PM a link to your post so I keep track of everyone's submissions.

- I will not be judging, I'm leaving that job up to my sister. Here is her steam profile if you want to bribe her: http://steamcommunity.com/id/lordpooky :p

- Sometime after 9:41, I will post here letting people know who one and then I will gift that person the game over Steam.

Hopefully it will be fun and plenty straight forward. And if I have money after buying my new monitor and speakers then I will do some more of these before the sale ends, because having one game to give away originally wasn't my intention. EDIT: Also I will be reposting this throughout the day.
Nice, be prepared for my shitty art \o\

StAidan

i think this summer sale is dissapointing. not a lot of games that i dont own or want

Very few dailies/flashes have come up from my wishlist, so yeah, I'm kind of disappointed too. But that's probably what I get for mostly enjoying niche indie games.

Although I have to admit, after deliberating for most of Tomb Raider's 48-hour sale period, I did end up buying it. Pretty uncharacteristic of me to play an AAA game, but I've even managed to enjoy the little bit of it that I played before work this morning.

DSix

Banned
Is the online of Splinter Cell Blacklist still active? Would I have trouble getting Mercs vs Spy matches in Europe?

Ibuki

Banned
You're not going to and shouldn't get to be the sparkling, faultless, heroic saint trying to get through life in a post-apocalyptic wasteland where everybody feeds on the misery of everyone else.

Allowing for that pure sort of Light Side character is a significant and completely nonsensical contrast to the setting you're in, because if the setting contains any internal logic whatsoever, that character gets mercilessly killed within a day or two for being so naive and ineffectual.

And you can actually get through the game without killing anyone by using deceit and persuasion, so your earlier comment that "literally every questline forces you to slaughter defenseless people" is quite off-base, to say the least.

tumblr_m9en10uqX41qit8aco3_500.gif

I am also one of the people who liked Fallout 3 better than New Vegas, but never really had any good reasons as to why. The closest I've ever come to explaining it is that Fallout 3 was one of the first modern games of its type I'd ever played, and everything felt super new and interesting, whereas New Vegas was the same basic idea with better writing and some gameplay tweaks.

I remember seeing Megaton as soon as I walked out of the vault and then fucking around in the bombed-out neighbourhood and the nearby abandoned school for an hour, discovering the gang inside the school, and realizing there would be a ton of stuff just like this in the game. By the time New Vegas came around, not only had I gotten used to that feeling of exploration, but the game had gone out of its way to warn me not to wander aimlessly (and then reinforced that directive by littering the landscape with high-powered monsters you had no hope of killing at the start of the game).

Ultimately I think New Vegas made more of your choices and had more interesting factions, but Fallout 3 felt better for just wandering around the world and finding new things everywhere you went. Oh, and on a more superficial level: every third person in New Vegas was voiced by the same guy that did Akihiko's voice in Persona 3 and once you hear that, you can't unhear it.

Also, I'm sorry for anyone whose New Vegas experience I just ruined.
It's always interesting hear from people who prefer Fallout 3, because it is usually the case that the very reasons I prefer my game are why they do not.

For instance, you like that in Fallout 3 you can explore anywhere without consequence. For me, that is part of my issue with Fallout 3! The fact that you can basically explore the entire map from the start without fear of any creatures makes the world feel a little flat and lifeless. In New Vegas, Deathclaws and Cazadores will tear me apart if I go near them. Even late game they are to be feared. This, for me, is part of what I'm looking for in an open world RPG. I want there to be that feeling of a hierarchy to the creatures; certain ones should kick my ass early game, and others should continue to even into late game. For me it breathes life into the world and makes the exploration more satisfying by delivering a more believable world full of actual dangers. It injects some verisimilitude into the game world.

In fact, that's a word I'd use to lay out what I prefer so much in New Vegas. Verisimilitude. The feeling that everything is real, that is has a sense of place and purpose in its world. That it makes sense. Every area, every settlement, every character feels real and thought out. There's nothing too unbelievable—like, say, a population springing up around an undetonated bomb—and everything has this cohesion. "How do the people of the wastes get food?" Why, there's a large sharecropper farm right outside New Vegas!

I think Fallout 3 may have some larger moments—there's a town built around a bomb, one in a large ship, a town of little kids, etc.—but they feel like one-off themepark rides instead of a cohesive whole. Each one feels like someone asked "you know what would be really cool?" instead of necessarily "you know what would fit naturally into our world?"

Hesemonni

Banned
Blackwell games are one of those games I kinda wanna play, but know I'm never going to finish for one reason or another. Then again, I love point'n'click genre as a whole and if nothing else, atleast the games have steam cards.

...So I guess I'll grab the bundle :p

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Iesabel -- MB-E1C569647A2F12C0 - Taken by Cyberquake. 2 entrants total.
Sparkle 2 Evo -- MB-B98C9273F1BEC5B7 - Taken by Dusk Golem. 5 entrants total.
Bumbledore -- MB-DFE1D11012941BE9 - Taken by Xeroblade. 2 entrants total.
Blue Toad Murder Files -- MB-D72F2D95F1EF96F4 - Taken by Gianni Merryman. 1 entrants total.
King Arthur's Gold -- MB-7B3606277EEB349B - Taken by PunishedSnake. 11 entrants total.

t1403639827z1.png

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Hell, you don't find them in the real world.

I like you.

rtcn63

Can't dance, can't draw, terrible depth perception. Maybe it's why I'm more inclined to blabber on and about with letters.

I'm always compelled to play the good guy in video games, when given a choice. I'm a fairly despicable individual in real life apparently, at least according to my last workplace, which told me I was beneath a misogynist imbecile who talked about hurting his bosses (one of whom was his friend and brought him in) and doing stuff to the females "if he had the opportunity". Yeah. Anyways. What was I saying? Yes. Hello darkness my old friend.

Look I don't need to spell out paragraphs here to tell you that Fallout 3 > NV.

All I need to do is ask one question:

Does YOUR game have Liam Neeson doing VO?

I rest my case.

nexen

The perils of picking a faction in a post apocalyptic wasteland where everyone hates each other. I don't see what's wrong with this. It's a clear design choice and if if upsets you, well, you're probably not supposed to be happy about it.
When I first hit that section in the game I was sitting there thinking
"why can't I try to broker a peace agreement between the BOS and NCR?" I didn't even get an option to try and fail - just go blow up their base, women and children included or don't. Don't come back until you are done. And my character's options were 'no' and stop that plot-line cold or 'okayleydokely' and go off an be a mass murderer.
It was shit design. It felt like they were purposefully trying to make sure they railroaded me into some despicable act instead of letting the story flow in a more natural way.

Dude, once again, I wasn't asking for that. I'm asking to be able to play a character that isn't an evil mass murderer.
and I already replied to the question of the 'no-kill' run.

Eklesp

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Rogue Legacy -- MB-CEED2B46F3B708B7 - Taken by JustLynx
Brothers a tale of two sons -- MB-3DB023B8C6031C12 - Taken by Divius[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom