• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe Season 2 |OT| Obama chuckled. "You mean the Crystal Gems?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Full Disclosure was the official beginning of S2 but considering the timing of the Steven Bomb and the new opening we might as well consider this the kick off of Season 2 since that is how everyone else will view it unofficially.

This is sort of like how the season two premiere of MLP was produced alongside season one, and thus the opening didn't change until "Lesson Zero". Except if "Return of Harmony" was aired right after "Best Night Ever" and it was "Lesson Zero" that aired after a break. OK, the point is weird scheduling stuff and the opening not changing until later in the season.

Thores

"Sworn to the Sword" has instantly become one of my favorite episodes in the entire series to date. If the rest of StevenBomb 2 even approaches this quality it's going to be a fantastic week.

PBalfredo

I'm noticing a trend of Steven's shield disrupting Gem-made constructs. First Lapis' water doubles, now Pearl's holograms. I bet this will come into play more in the future.

Amazing episode, just perfect in every way.

Great episode and new opening.

Plenty of information for speculation too:
Rose was the pink diamond? We see the coliseum (made during the war) with four diamond colors, while the home world warship (presumably made post-war) only included three.

Good catch, I'd say there's a good chance
that's exactly who she was. It's pretty clear she is a cut (heh) above any other gem we've seen in the show, being able to lead an army to defend Earth and so on, so it would make sense for her to actually be 1/4 of the top brass.

Even more RosePearl fuel -
Pearl's breakdown + "she made me feel like I was everything" + "...and you just think of the life you'll have together after the war."

Yeah, if it wasn't obvious before now, this would pretty much seal the deal.

The interesting side is that this relationship is looking more and more like unrequited love. Pearl is obsessive to the point of co-dependency ("I am nothing; she is everything"). Did Rose see things the same way? If it wasn't reciprocated, why is Pearl still obsessed with Rose after thousands of years? Rose never confronted Pearl and clarified her stance?

For a gem, thousands of years are a very small amount of time. You have evidence in this very episode:
"I was just a few thousand years old when I started training". 5000 years for them might be just like 5 years to us, and it's clear that Pearl fell hard for Rose. It also seems like she had some kind of deathwish, as if she wanted to die in battle for her (which isn't easy for a gem, so she just kept regenerating).

I have a feeling she never actually confessed to Rose, probably because she considered herself "inferior" to her or even undeserving. Rose might or might not be aware of Pearl's feelings (my bet is on that she was), but with Pearl never making a move, there's not much she could do unless she also felt that way.

Pearl is headed for darker times. She's going to lose it if she can't come to terms with Steven's existence.

If thousands of years is like years for them, Steven entire existence would amount to a few hours. Not saying she's not otherwise having clear issues coping with Rose's disappearance, but there's also that. She's been with Steven for what's probably about 1/1000 of the time she's been with Rose.

How bout that Sony conference?

A good start to the second Steven Bomb week. All I could think of from the new OP, they going anime. Also Connie's VA can sing well and I'm liking the fact that Connie goes aggressive with the sword and Steven goes passive with the shield. I expect a couple of good battles with those two together.

With the latest holo info, I'm assuming the big gem battle must have happened after Greg met the gems, seeing as Pearl has her 80s outfit but its missing the shoulder frills. Its obvious by now but Pearl really is a fragile gem. Classifying herself nothing just for Rose, jeez louis.

jwk94

This whole Rose/Pearl thing makes me wonder how likely we are to see a fusion between those two sometime in the future. It just seems....wrong ya know? Like Pearl would view it as something more. Like a Garnet fusion instead of Opal or Sugilite.

Banzai

tumblr_nicvtgedRM1ra25w1o1_1280.png
(fanart)

oh yeah, the next Stevonnie episode's gonna be gooood.

jwk94

(fanart)

Plus a proper fusion dance. Lord have mercy. I feel sorry for whoever brings out Stevonnie. I thought they were gonna fuse against the holograms or when Connie spun as Pearl was attacking her but I was mistaken =(

Maximo

Plus a proper fusion dance. Lord have mercy. I feel sorry for whoever brings out Stevonnie. I thought they were gonna fuse against the holograms or when Connie spun as Pearl was attacking her but I was mistaken =(

God dam haven't even considered how strong they would be fused together, need a episode of gems attacking with them fusing together !

With the latest holo info, I'm assuming the big gem battle must have happened after Greg met the gems, seeing as Pearl has her 80s outfit but its missing the shoulder frills. Its obvious by now but Pearl really is a fragile gem. Classifying herself nothing just for Rose, jeez louis.

Huh? I always assumed the gem wars ended 5000 years ago?

You're mistaken my friend, that definitly wasn't her 80s outfit and they've already mentioned in episodes like "Rose's Scabbard" that the gem war for earth/the rebellion took place 5000 or so years ago.

(fanart)

I'd love to see her duke it out with Jasper, Steven deserves a rematch!

Wait, wasn't that her outfit?

EDIT 2:
Wait,that's not it! There are some subtle changes.

EDIT:
It was

The neck and shoulders are bare in her 80's outfit, but not in her war outfit. In any case it would make sense for her 80's outfit to resemble her war one, as it's likely she never had to regenerate once the war ended, and in any case, she didn't have to cope with Rose's loss and therefore "grow up" in all those years, and her form reflects her mental state.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
God I love this show. A lot of discussion is around the new lore and insights about Pearl, but my favorite part might be Connie's arc. It actually makes total sense that she easily slipped into Pearl's way of thinking: it fits entirely with the existential insecurity we've seen from her before. And I'm glad they got this up and out in the open fast for Steven to address, it opens things up for Connie to be much more involved in the future

This show is one of the most genius examples of efficiency in storytelling I've seen

Huh? I always assumed the gem wars ended 5000 years ago?

You're mistaken my friend, that definitly wasn't her 80s outfit and they've already mentioned in episodes like "Rose's Scabbard" that the gem war for earth/the rebellion took place 5000 or so years ago.

Right, my memory fails me, guess its a good time to rewatch season 1 to fix this.

Wait, wasn't that her outfit?

EDIT 2:
Wait,that's not it! There are some subtle changes.

EDIT:
It was

Yep, wasn't her 80's outfit, seen even better below. The hair's just the same, her upper shirt doesnt match though and no 80's leg warmer.

latest

The neck and shoulders are bare in her 80's outfit, but not in her war outfit. In any case it would make sense for her 80's outfit to resemble her war one, as it's likely she never had to regenerate once the war ended, and in any case, she didn't have to cope with Rose's loss and therefore "grow up" in all those years, and her form reflects her mental state.

This makes the most sense to me. Would explain why she has the same hair and seeing it was peaceful after the war, she probably decided to switch up her dress to fit in the 80s.

Makes me think her hair being all coned up cause she's you know, wound up as heck after Rose's death and when Rose was alive, her hair was more puffier and looser.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Actually Rose being the fourth diamond could explain some interesting things. Like why Peridot has no idea what Earth is or what the war was initially: if it was as huge as one of their four leaders turning against the rest I bet there's been a loooot of historical omission and rewriting going on on the homeworld the last few thousand years. That's the kind of thing you try and pretend didn't happen

rexor0717

God I love this show. A lot of discussion is around the new lore and insights about Pearl, but my favorite part might be Connie's arc. It actually makes total sense that she easily slipped into Pearl's way of thinking: it fits entirely with the existential insecurity we've seen from her before. And I'm glad they got this up and out in the open fast for Steven to address, it opens things up for Connie to be much more involved in the future

This show is one of the most genius examples of efficiency in storytelling I've seen
Yeah, its amazing what they can do with 11 minutes. Sometimes it's a bit crammed, but its always really effective regardless.

I look forward to the episode where Connie with her newfound confidence has to confront her parents about her involvement with Gem stuff.

Opto

Banned
Clearly Pearl's love for Rose was one-sided. But Rose didn't do a good job setting Pearl straight before she created Steven

Yeah, tbh I'm surprised Pearl treats Greg as well as she does.

She looks down on humans so she probably doesn't see him as something worth resenting. It's like resenting someone's pet when they devote so much time and effort into them that they kinda disappear. She seems to have some Babadok shit going on for Steven through.

Amy's the opposite, she resents Greg because she's far more open to human's and their culture and doesn't look down on them as if she's too good for em. So she blames Greg for taking away Rose.

Amy's the opposite, she resents Greg because she's far more open to human's and their culture and doesn't look down on them as if she's too good for em. So she blames Greg for taking away Rose.

Actually, I don't feel Amy resents Greg - she got a little crush on him that she probably tried to force onto Greg (maybe a little too hard after Rose went away) that left their relationship strained to the point where we find it in Maximum Capacity.

It's a mirror to the Pearl/Rose relationship, in a way.

KiN0

Actually, I don't feel Amy resents Greg - she got a little crush on him that she probably tried to force onto Greg (maybe a little too hard after Rose went away) that left their relationship strained to the point where we find it in Maximum Capacity.

It's a mirror to the Pearl/Rose relationship, in a way.

I never got the feeling that it might be a crush. I think after rose passed, Amy turned to greg for support; however, he wasn't ready to let any gem/ gem related stuff back into his life so he turned away from her. In a desperate attempt to get his attention, she innocently transformed into rose thinking it would make him happy. I see there relationship as a cross between an estranged adopted daughter and an old college buddy.

I never got the feeling that it might be a crush. I think after rose passed, Amy turned to greg for support; however, he wasn't ready to let any gem/ gem related stuff back into his life so he turned away from her. In a desperate attempt to get his attention, she innocently transformed into rose thinking it would make him happy. I see there relationship as a cross between an estranged adopted daughter and an old college buddy.

Maximum Capacity was somewhat ambiguous in that respect, but after I rewatched it I thought something similar to your explanation. Rose left a huge hole in the hearts of everyone, so Greg and Amy (Pearl too, but that's another story) comforted themselves by dwelling in the past (I assume Little Butler is a series they watched with Rose). However Amy was still sore that Greg took Rose from her, (twice: as a wife, and to form Steven) so they probably ended on somewhat bad terms (basically round one of what Max Capacity would be round two).

A recurring theme through the series is that Rose had such a magnetic and compassionate personality that several people leaned on her and only her for support (Pearl, Amethyst and Greg), so when she disappeared they were devastated by loneliness and tried to cope however they could.

KiN0

So I think it safe to say that pearl loved rose and it was more than mere admiration .

I think it was far more than love. It was a total obsession. Pearl was like some kind of religious zealot who worshipped everything about Rose, including the bad stuff. I mean, look at Pearl's attitude toward the war. She really doesn't seem to grasp the fact that thousand of lives-both gem and human- were lost as a result of Rose's decision.

I always thought Amy's quick mention of "I like his hair" in Story for Steven was a sign that she might have harbored some sort of affection for Greg from the start.

The more I think about it, it could have just been - the two hit it off as friends from the start, then Rose went away and she tried to help Greg deal with the loss by shapeshifting into Rose and he reacted negatively and that left a rift. I'm pretty sure they mentioned watching Lil' Butler when Steven was a baby.

TheOGB

Banned
lamar abrams ‏@neo_rama 9m9 minutes ago Burbank, CA
Ronaldo in peace

lamar abrams ‏@neo_rama 7m7 minutes ago Burbank, CA
Ripnaldo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom