• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe Season 2 |OT| Obama chuckled. "You mean the Crystal Gems?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maron

I like this new arrangement but there's something off about it to me. I prefer the original.

I feel you don't hear the melody as much in this version. Which makes me wonder if they'll gradually add more instruments to the arrangement over time, like they've done for the "Love Like You" ending.

rexor0717

Yo damn, lol. Great episode.
That fight, even for how short it was... omg this show is about to get SSSick!

When Stevonnie makes their return, shit is going to get real.
Episode was fucking fantastic. Easily one of the best, they're bringing that heat right out the gate. Connie has always been my favorite character, and she just was perfect this episode. Her singing, her skills, her selflessness. Its also important to remember that she is still a kid and probably looks to Pearl as a role model. Pearl imprinted her fanaticism onto her to an unhealthy point. Speaking of which, I really feel bad for Pearl, she lost her reason to live and is still struggling to come to terms with Steven being his own person.

This show is too good, more or less.

KiN0

I feel you don't hear the melody as much in this version. Which makes me wonder if they'll gradually add more instruments to the arrangement over time, like they've done for the "Love Like You" ending.

After listening to it a few more times, I think it's the weird pause in the first three seconds that throws the rhythm off for me. Other than that, I miss the chip tune and strings from the first opening. But, like I said, the new arrangement is still great.

Maron

After listening to it a few more times, I think it's the weird pause in the first three seconds that throws the rhythm off for me. Other than that, I miss the chip tune and strings from the first opening. But, like I said, the new arrangement is still great.

Yeah that was the first thing to stick out to me too. I'm glad to see some Joe Johnston animation in it though, even if it has to be a tad short (who also did tonight's episode!). His style's the one I tend to associate with the show. I'm looking forward to where the rest of the episodes this week take us, since, aside from knowing the basic plot of this episode, I'm going in blind.

Kangi

So... that
"you weren't built for fighting" line. More and more convinced by the "mass-produced pearls" theory

jwk94

I'm thinking
we'll get a third opening eventually that has the lyrics that Sugar won't sing and probably Lapiz or Peridot in it as Crystal Gems.

KiN0

So... that
"you weren't built for fighting" line. More and more convinced by the "mass-produced pearls" theory

That line
definitely contributes to the theory that gems have a certain role they're expected to fill based on their gem and or gem placement.

rexor0717

As someone pointed out on tumblr, does Connie's training outfit look familiar?
Gohan-training-with-Goku-and-Piccolo-dragon-ball-z-28963530-704-396.jpg

Lijik

man what a great episode, im so excited for the rest of this week

edit- ^woah! im mad i didnt pick up on that!!

What an AMAZING episode.
Still, Pearl is the worst gem. Ugh, she is trash.

There you go, dude. I think you backspaced a bit.

Also, Connie stays winning. It was a bit scary to see
her take Pearl's personality aspect so quickly, but it blew my mind how Steven and Sony started working together so quickly and efficiently against Pearl.
I wonder when Steven started practicing with his shield/bubble to have such a good handle on his powers for that to happen.

Raxus

Funny animation mistake.
There is a quick shot of Ameythst in her older costume in the episode. Oops.

Kuga

Great episode and new opening.

Plenty of information for speculation too:
Rose was the pink diamond? We see the coliseum (made during the war) with four diamond colors, while the home world warship (presumably made post-war) only included three.

Additional evidence that pearls are mass produced? Pearl mentions that she "wasn't built for fighting." Also lends weight to the 'defective pearl" statement from Jasper.

Even more RosePearl fuel -
Pearl's breakdown + "she made me feel like I was everything" + "...and you just think of the life you'll have together after the war."

The interesting side is that this relationship is looking more and more like unrequited love. Pearl is obsessive to the point of co-dependency ("I am nothing; she is everything"). Did Rose see things the same way? If it wasn't reciprocated, why is Pearl still obsessed with Rose after thousands of years? Rose never confronted Pearl and clarified her stance?

Pearl is headed for darker times. She's going to lose it if she can't come to terms with Steven's existence.

Damn, talk about firing in all cylinders! What a way to start the season. A new title, solid progression in more than one relationship, more Rose info. Wow. Steven Bomb 2.0 is already worth it.

ffdgh

Great episode and new opening.

Plenty of information for speculation too:
Rose was the pink diamond? We see the coliseum (made during the war) with four diamond colors, while the home world warship (presumably made post-war) only included three.

Rewatching the episode, you can also see 2 pink diamonds that are crumbled compared to the other 3 diamonds.
http://i.imgur.com/kgpADSB.png
http://i.imgur.com/AgzdtSI.png

Gotta love that that hidden lore.

This was a great episode.
Like wow, they started off strong again; the crewniverse really knows what they're doing!

Edit: Forgot to mention that Pearl continues to remain amazing.

Fuck the rules, Connie for best Crystal Gem. I mean, I've been thinking that since Lion 2, but at this point she is just missing her own gem, and well, some arguments could be made for Stevonnie counting...

Great episode! I particularly liked the main song, Steven being uncomfortable around the hologram (while Pearl isn't; she's used to randomly dying, apparently), and Steven and Connie fighting together in the end. It was a bit disappointing how this episode was a bit of a retread in addressing Pearl's relationship with Rose, but there were a lot of nice new interactions and tidbits revealed.

As of yet, I don't like the new opening as much as the first.

I'm really loving how Connie has basically become an honorary Crystal Gem, and it great to see that notion supported by the new intro.
I'm really digging the fact that the nerdy muggle friend in SU is more than just a bothersome liability who happens to also be "comic relief".

Fireblend

Banned
Oustanding episode, holy shit.

Interesting how Connie stopped using her lens-less glasses halfway through the episode. She's still using them in the intro though.

Maximo

Hoooollly shit that episode was amazing. The fan art someone posted in the last thread of connie being the sword and steven the sheild is coming true.

NeckToChicken

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man, near the end when
Steven blocks Pearl's return strike in slow motion. Them's some eyes of flame right there.

Show continues to please.

I feel like Pearl saying things such as " It was here that I became familiar with the human concept of being a knight; completely dedicated to a person...and a cause!!" really lends even more credence to the theory/idea that she was never meant to fight in any way, shape, or form. I'm honestly imagining her as some little maid/mechanic/walking storage unit on the homeworld of old.

I have to admit, I'm somewhat jealous that this thread is getting more activity than my MLP thread, but I suppose SU does have actual overall plot stuff to talk about.

Currently listening to "Do it for Him" multiple times.

We got so much cool stuff with this episode. New intro, Steven and Connie song, Pearl and Connie song, Steven and Connie sparring with Pearl back-to-back. I love this show so goddamn much.

Hell, we got Garnet telling Amethyst a joke! She's really opened up as a character since "Stronger Than You."

vypek

Just watched the episode. With all the E3 stuff going on I got to it late. It was really good. So was this episode the official start of season 2? Considering the new opening (which is leagues better than the original).

Raxus

Just watched the episode. With all the E3 stuff going on I got to it late. It was really good. So was this episode the official start of season 2? Considering the new opening (which is leagues better than the original).

Full Disclosure was the official beginning of S2 but considering the timing of the Steven Bomb and the new opening we might as well consider this the kick off of Season 2 since that is how everyone else will view it unofficially.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom