• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter : 3rd Strike SUPER appreciation thread

V_Arnold

Raging Spaniard said:
You dont even know what you're trolling about anymore.

Did he ever know it? The moment he attacked a project focused on bringing one of the greatest 2d fighting game to the current consoles in a proper form, he lost the cause.

Also, this:

The Take Out Bandit said:
Dude is single handedly destroying Capcom's legacy.

Is beyond ridicolous. Nobody prevents you from playing the original arcade version, TTOB. Not even Ono.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
ttob is still the only poster i have on ignore. it's a wonder why he hasn't been banned yet.

Yoshichan said:
Not on 40" HDTVs... :(

i dunno, man... i play 3s on a 52'' hdtv through my 360 (sf aniversary collection) and it looks awesome

Yoshichan said:
Not on 40" HDTVs... :(

Sprites are beautiful. :|

V_Arnold said:
Did he ever know it? The moment he attacked a project focused on bringing one of the greatest 2d fighting game to the current consoles in a proper form, he lost the cause.

The game isn't as good looking, nor does it play as well as 3S. Just sayin'.

But enjoy your spotty netcode, auto correct, dumbed down inputs, and Ultard moves.

V_Arnold

The game isn't as good looking, nor does it play as well as 3S. Just sayin'.

But enjoy your spotty netcode, auto correct, dumbed down inputs, and Ultard moves.

Dude, I was talking about SF3 3rd Strike. The one ONO IS DESTROYING RIGHT NOW!
*wink*

But while you brought it up, Street Fighter IV /SSFIV will go down as a timeless classic, and you can deny that fact, but it is happening right now. That does not mean you are not allowed to have fun with sprite-based games.

V_Arnold said:
Dude, I was talking about SF3 3rd Strike. The one ONO IS DESTROYING RIGHT NOW!
*wink*

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I'm just not on board with the whole reinvent the wheel take on re-releasing games. Listening to Dave Jaffe talk about what's important about Twisted Metal in GTTV is something more developers should be forced to watch. It's not about selling millions or copies and appealing to people who don't already get it.

It's about staying true to the vision and delivering a game that will last the test of time, which 3S has given it regularly appears in Arcadia arcade rankings.

Part of me wonders if this is Crapcom proper (or whoever it got subcontracted out to in Japan) trying to do a SF2 Deviant Art Remix do-over but 3S style.

Bottom line though, I don't need any of that crap. Just give me 3S with BlazBlue quality netcode and I'm good to go.

But while you brought it up, Street Fighter IV /SSFIV will go down as a timeless classic, and you can deny that fact, but it is happening right now. That does not mean you are not allowed to have fun with sprite-based games.

In hindsight people will not look back fondly on 4, and will realize their desperation for the franchise to return and a healthy dose of nostalgia lead them astray. My chips are all in on this.

This 3D era will be a blemish on Capcom's reputation, at least until more visually pleasing 3D styles are adopted. Which I believe can be done.

Dali

V_Arnold said:
But while you brought it up, Street Fighter IV /SSFIV will go down as a timeless classic...
... until SFV is released ditching the ape-men and chubby wushu girls by grace of better overall aesthetic/art direction and also adding improved game design and better controls. Then maybe people tempted to call the game a classic will see it for the comparative pile of poo it is. Also, if we're lucky, Capcom will be high on the power of the name, Street Fighter, and won't feel compelled to make the majority of the roster characters we've played ad naseum 20 years ago just to sell it.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I'm just not on board with the whole reinvent the wheel take on re-releasing games. Listening to Dave Jaffe talk about what's important about Twisted Metal in GTTV is something more developers should be forced to watch. It's not about selling millions or copies and appealing to people who don't already get it.

It's about staying true to the vision and delivering a game that will last the test of time, which 3S has given it regularly appears in Arcadia arcade rankings.

Except that if Capcom took your advice back in the day, SF III would have never happened because it reinvented the wheel.

Yeah I hope that's just menu art or some kind of super high res model for a promo video or something.

I can't see them redoing the art for this game. It's not really that popular.

It did make me think about how awesome a rotoscoped 2D fighting game would be (like ghost trick style animation)

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Raging Spaniard said:
Except that if Capcom took your advice back in the day, SF III would have never happened because it reinvented the wheel.
that was a sequel though, not a re-release.

V_Arnold

Dali said:
... until SFV is released ditching the ape-men and chubby wushu girls by grace of better overall aesthetic/art direction and also adding improved game design and better controls. Then maybe people tempted to call the game a classic will see it for the comparative pile of poo it is. Also, if we're lucky, Capcom will be high on the power of the name, Street Fighter, and won't feel compelled to make the majority of the roster characters we've played ad naseum 20 years ago just to sell it.

Ape-man? Chubby wushu girls? Nice exaggeration, but nowhere close reality. It is okay to dislike "not-100%-realist" styles", but it is not good when you accept it if it comes in the form of 2d (let us not make a reality check with SF3 3rd Strike characters, okay? Oro, Twelve, Remy, infamous-spritegif-Dudley, Elena? MMkay..).

abstract alien said:
Whatever that pic of Yun is in the background, it looks nice to me. *shrugs*
For consistency purposes, I can see how it wouldn't be good though. Pretty big difference between the ingame art and that particular style. They aren't redoing the game like Turbo HD or anything, are they?

Yeah, I like that art also, NOTHING wrong with it, except tha fact that it is not old, it is new. Which is bad somehow. I do not think that they will redo the graphics itself, but maybe the profile pictures and the ending stuffs might get a proper art for 720p/1080p sized displays.

Whatever that pic of Yun is in the background, it looks nice to me. *shrugs*
For consistency purposes, I can see how it wouldn't be good though. Pretty big difference between the ingame art and that particular style. They aren't redoing the game like Turbo HD or anything, are they?

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
That being said I really hope no one fucking touches the art in 3s, specially not Udon, ugh.

In hindsight people will not look back fondly on 4, and will realize their desperation for the franchise to return and a healthy dose of nostalgia lead them astray. My chips are all in on this.

This 3D era will be a blemish on Capcom's reputation, at least until more visually pleasing 3D styles are adopted. Which I believe can be done.

Disagree. SSF4 is probably one of the most balanced iterations of the franchise. It's worth being remembered for that. It may have made it a relatively bland game because there's no chun li "AIE AIE AIE AIE AIE" low forward, super " AIE AIE AIE AIE AIE" crap but I think SF4 is a fine competitive game. Not the best fighter ever, but quite good. Watching footsie matches between really good players is still fun and the game has loads of strategy at a high level. If people just mash out SRKs and Ultras, then they suck and will forever be stuck at a low level of play.

Besides, it has done so much to bring more people into the scene, and that's important, because Fighting games without people playing them are useless.

I just don't understand the mentality that if you like 3S you have to hate SF4. They're different games, both with their own advantages and disadvantages.

RS4-

I don't think they're redoing ingame animation and whatnot like what they did with HDR or else 3s Online won't come out for another two years unless it looks just as awful as HDR.

It's probably just an art gallery or something.

in re: to SFIV, I'm not particularly fond of the game or enjoy playing it. Feels mindless, mashy and ultimately not that fun compared to anything that came before it.

Dali said:

Hi, you just described 3S, which almost killed the franchise.

FlightOfHeaven said:
Hi, you just described 3S, which almost killed the franchise.

No, it was Street Fighter 3 that almost killed the franchise. 3S salvaged what was a fairly poorly received fighting game.

Zophar

SonOfABeep said:
No, it was Street Fighter 3 that almost killed the franchise. 3S salvaged what was a fairly poorly received fighting game.
3S doesn't play significantly different from earlier iterations of III. All it did was add more characters, incidentally more from SFII.

i thought it was always cool seeing Akuma with grey hairs...showing that he can age, but is still just as powerful or better than he was when he was young

V_Arnold said:
Yeah, I like that art also, NOTHING wrong with it, except tha fact that it is not old, it is new. Which is bad somehow. I do not think that they will redo the graphics itself, but maybe the profile pictures and the ending stuffs might get a proper art for 720p/1080p sized displays.
Ah, gotcha. Thanks

I love Third Strike to death, but talk of ape men has never sat right with me when it comes to SF4. First of all, the design is reminiscent of II's style, and secondly(also most important), it looks great in motion. People love to pick apart screen shots that show exaggerate expressions and muscles with large hands and feet...but the thing about that type of design is that it is made for motion and impact. During gameplay, the camera is pulled back and the action can get pretty fast, so having those types of elements help certain aspects stand out while you are actually playing it.

It is completely understandable for someone to not like it personally, but just like Link's large eyes and drastic animations in wind waker...you can't say that it doesn't work for the design they had intended. Dislike does not equal broken.

RS4- said:
in re: to SFIV, I'm not particularly fond of the game or enjoy playing it. Feels mindless, mashy and ultimately not that fun compared to anything that came before it.
You lost me right there. IV is the most un-mashy of ANY street fighter game I have ever played in my life honestly. Even the timing for some basic combos is extremely tight compared to others.

Dali said:

Okay guys, who hacked Dali's account?

I never agree with this guy, and this post is so fundamentally right it's not funny. It's almost as if I hacked his account and posted this myself.

Dali +100!

Raging Spaniard said:

Well if SF3 was just a gussied up SF2 like SF4 is, I would have had the same problems. Fortunately SF3 ignored the high level of retardation and scrub pandering going on in the Alpha series and headed out in it's own direction which felt like a logical evolution of SF2. Back when there was fighting game evolution and gobs of competition for my arcade dollars.

We may never see that level of experimentation again as companies like Capcom are desperate to appeal to the Call of Duty / Madden players who will never get fighting games. Dumbing down ≠ evolution.

SF3 was pure fighting game Darwinian bliss. SF4 is a concession to folks who stopped playing SF2 on the SNES and folks who never touched a SF game.

I'd have no problem with 4 being Street Fighter Alpha EX or Street Fighter Gaiden; but as a numbered entry in the main franchise the game play just isn't up to snuff and visually you know where I stand on it.

SonOfABeep said:
Disagree. SSF4 is probably one of the most balanced iterations of the franchise. It's worth being remembered for that. It may have made it a relatively bland game because there's no chun li "AIE AIE AIE AIE AIE" low forward, super " AIE AIE AIE AIE AIE" crap but I think SF4 is a fine competitive game. Not the best fighter ever, but quite good. Watching footsie matches between really good players is still fun and the game has loads of strategy at a high level. If people just mash out SRKs and Ultras, then they suck and will forever be stuck at a low level of play.

Besides, it has done so much to bring more people into the scene, and that's important, because Fighting games without people playing them are useless.

I just don't understand the mentality that if you like 3S you have to hate SF4. They're different games, both with their own advantages and disadvantages.

SF4 matches are a terrible bore to watch. Nowhere near the amazing stuff I see in 3S matches. That's not just the Daigo/Wong match either. Watching less known players using Hugo and Necro amazingly and pulling things I never considered is always fun. 4 is just watching and waiting for the same boring exchanges of the same lame combos everybody uses.

I defy you to post a SF4 match as compelling as any 3S match.

And it's not just I love 3S so I hate 4. Fundamentally 4 was wrong from the inception, moving to 3D visuals. Adding Ultard moves. Adding auto correct (the only SF game I've played where Guile has EVER flash kicked in the wrong f*cking direction, really?). Dumbing down the inputs instead of requiring players learn the inputs like we did 20 years ago in arcades at a substantially higher cost than the $59.99/$39.99 Capcom charged for the home versions of 4.

There's crap in 4 I'd pardon if they still used the Alpha ISM system, or had one of the numerous "Noob" modes we saw in past SF games over the years; but setting a lot of this flawed sh*t in stone was a huge mistake.

SonOfABeep said:

SF3 was also released when life support on arcades in the West had been pulled. It went from being able to hit a SF2 cabinet with a dead cat in corner stores, Kmart lobbies, video stores, and arcades - to needing to drive five or more miles out to play a game of SF3. Assuming the arcade operator maintained their machines. Closest 3 machines to me had busted buttons, which = NO PLAY.

No viable home console release didn't help either. Capcom still thought they were a SF2 era SNES king maker, but SF3 needed to be available on more than a mere SEGA console that inevitably failed thanks to lack of consumer confidence.

There were a number of bad Capcom business decisions that contributed to the lukewarm reception of the 3 series, even accounting for the poor reception it initially had on alt.games.sf2.

deadmuffin said:
i thought it was always cool seeing Akuma with grey hairs...showing that he can age, but is still just as powerful or better than he was when he was young

I enjoyed the seeming aging of the characters in the 3 series. Not only were they physically different, but Capcom started putting forth more effort to differentiate the shotos and whatnot. It's a little thing and doesn't mean much to the game overall, but it was appreciated.

V_Arnold

I do not know why I even reply to this madness, but anyway.

We may never see that level of experimentation again as companies like Capcom are desperate to appeal to the Call of Duty / Madden players who will never get fighting games. Dumbing down ≠ evolution.

Really? You do not know what the hell to say, from what angle to attack the game and the company, and this is the best you can come up with?

SF4 matches are a terrible bore to watch. Nowhere near the amazing stuff I see in 3S matches. That's not just the Daigo/Wong match either. Watching less known players using Hugo and Necro amazingly and pulling things I never considered is always fun. 4 is just watching and waiting for the same boring exchanges of the same lame combos everybody uses.

Deal with it: things are subjective. SFIV was/is incredibly awesome to watch. Having fun watching japanese pros master awkward 3rd Strike characters are fun also. Daigo parry is a classic. But SFIV is a very entertaining game, and GAF SF threads, international event view statistics LAUGH at your assumption that it was a boring game. It was not, and it is not.

Stop trying to turn the game into a boring, ugly something just because you do not like the decision of going 3d. That is it, very simple.

Chavelo

/\ /\ /\ - This man knows the truth

/bookmarks thread to use 10 years from now whenever Capcom decides to release SFV and see people hating on it and say that it will never amount to SFIV.

You know... The GAF cycle.

Stay salty, folks.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Chavelo said:
/bookmarks thread to use 10 years from now whenever Capcom decides to release SFV and see people hating on it and say that it will never amount to SFIV.

You know... The GAF cycle.
You should check out SRK threads circa 2005 where Viscant and other SF2 heads go on tirades about how many multi-tiered strategies the parry kills, how many character archetypes it makes unfeasible, how it homogenizes the game around fewer playstyles, how the risk/reward ratio is horribly skewed, and how it generally throws the mental/strategical aspect of SF to the wayside in favor of execution only. The more things change...

I pretty much look at TTOB as the comedy relief character in fighting game threads. He's entertaining, but you won't get much of anything out of an argument.

PS: I like 3S plenty. Kind of tired of the zero-sum attitude some peeps have about different games, as if they can only build up their preferred title by knocking another down.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
SF3 was pure fighting game Darwinian bliss. SF4 is a concession to folks who stopped playing SF2 on the SNES and folks who never touched a SF game.

I get it. You don't like Street Fighter IV. Really, I get it.

But you're trippin' when it comes to SF3. "Darwinian bliss?" GTFO of here with that Nick Rox hyperbole crap. SF3 was an attempt at updating the Street Fighter franchise utilizing new game mechanics and hardware (CPS-3). And it didn't go over well, for the US or the Japanese. It wasn't until 2nd Impact that folks started paying attention because of performance tweaks, and 3rd Strike because of more tweaks and added characters.

I STILL think the game is imbalanced. I'm sorry, but there shouldn't be characters that are "for die-hard professionals only." You don't see Q, 12, and Sean in competitive play, because they're not good characters. Ibuki got nerfed to the point that she's almost unusable. There's a reason why most of the high-level play consists of only 7 or 8 characters.

Let me break your bubble further - Future SF games will ALWAYS be "concession" games. Always. Why? Because Street Fighter is, by nature, a franchise with core characters. You will ALWAYS have Chun Li, and Ryu, with a smattering of other OG characters in Street Fighter games. The second that Ryu isn't in Street Fighter, it is no longer Street Fighter. If you would have taken out Ryu and Ken from SF3, the game wouldn't have ever even taken off with garbage like 12 and Gil. Gil, a dude with flowing eighties rock band hair, a odd divide of color across his body, wearing a speedo. The game would have been another Jo Jo's Adventure.

So by all means, have your love fest for 3rd Strike. Its sweet that it still gets play after all these years, but don't hate on SFIV just because you haven't given it the 5-10 years for folks to learn all the subtleties of it like they did 3S or MOTW.

lolz glad to see Take Out got called out on his shit.

There are valid criticisms to be made about SF4 but he is not making them.

I love 3S also. I love most fighters.

robor

I remember hearing about Sirlin hating the shit out of SFIV and I for the life of me could not figure out why.

I have a fair bit of respect for that guy but I can't fathom such hatred. Anyone here care to help me out?

Raging Spaniard

robor said:
I remember hearing about Sirlin hating the shit out of SFIV and I for the life of me could not figure out why.

I have a fair bit of respect for that guy but I can't fathom such hatred. Anyone here care to help me out?

He hates it for two reasons:

-Its not SF II
-He uses it as a catalist to promote his game design career. (aka: " If I had designed this game, I would have done this instead, Im so great!")

Fuck that guy

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
mr jones said:
I STILL think the game is imbalanced. I'm sorry, but there shouldn't be characters that are "for die-hard professionals only." You don't see Q, 12, and Sean in competitive play, because they're not good characters. Ibuki got nerfed to the point that she's almost unusable. There's a reason why most of the high-level play consists of only 7 or 8 characters.

7-8 characters is just 35-40% of the cast. That's pretty fucking good all things considered. Can we say the same for SSF4 as it stands?

As for Q...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP6osEvuYl8

Obviously, in the right hands, he can do just fine against the best characters in the game.

As for SF4, Sirlin isn't alone in his dislike for SF4 in general. He made be alone in this reasons though. Many high level players don't like SF4 but play it anyways. Same happened with SF3.

V_Arnold

Kintaro said:
7-8 characters is just 35-40% of the cast. That's pretty fucking good all things considered. Can we say the same for SSF4 as it stands?

Absolutely. More than half of the cast is perfectly viable of winning a tourney.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
3s will always remain my number 1 in my heart.

The animations for its time was so damn ahead of its time, I am disappointed with SF IV in so many ways.

Why take out the parry system for a inferior FADC?

Let's hope 3s online is amazing.

SF3S is by far the best when it comes to the overall style, music, presentation and fighting mechanics.

3S HD Online PSN/XBLA can't come any sooner. No new ugly new sprites needed (hello SF2 HDR), I'd be fine with just upscaling and/or smoothing option. Option.
That...that's still in the works, right?

jetsetfluken said:
SF3S is by far the best when it comes to the overall style, music, presentation and fighting mechanics.

3S HD Online PSN/XBLA can't come any sooner. No new ugly new sprites needed (hello SF2 HDR), I'd be fine with just upscaling and/or smoothing option. Option.
That...that's still in the works, right?
Yes, it is still in the works.

Raging Spaniard

g35twinturbo said:

The animations for its time was so damn ahead of its time, I am disappointed with SF IV in so many ways.

Because new game = new system.

SF III was awesome and SF IV is pretty awesome itself, I dont get why when it comes to sequels people have to champion one game above all and call the rest crap. Lots of people have played both games and gotten years of fun because of them, not that big a deal.

El Sloth

Banned
g35twinturbo said:

Because not everyone likes to rushdown. I used to think like you, but realized that parrying limits the number of playstyles open to the player. For example: you can't really play a zoning character very effectively with parrying. I'm thinking Dhalsim specifically.

Edit: And what he said^.

Zophar said:
3S doesn't play significantly different from earlier iterations of III. All it did was add more characters, incidentally more from SFII.

I don't know about that one. Sean was much more powerful in early games, and so was ibuki.

HUGO was pretty much broken in the second version.

I think the parrying window was much more forgiving in 3S when compared to the first two.

Visually the games look different too.

Is it known or not if Backbone has anything to do with this?

They did for SF2 HDR and MVC2 PSN/XBLA and well...yeah...as far as presentation and fluidity of style goes...

No Backbone please.

Leunam

Kintaro said:

I knew it was a Kuroda video before I clicked the link. That really doesn't prove anything aside from the fact that he is one of the absolute best 3S players out there. Aside from people like him, Sugiyama, Kokujin and RX, most people stick to Ken, Yun, and Chun Li. There is way more variety in tournaments in SFIV than just the top four or five characters. Q only looks viable in that video because it's Kuroda playing him.

El Sloth

Banned
jetsetfluken said:
Is it known or not if Backbone has anything to do with this?

They did for SF2 HDR and MVC2 PSN/XBLA and well...yeah...as far as presentation and fluidity of style goes...

No Backbone please.
I think SRK would mount a raid on the Capcom offices if it were to come out that Backbone was involved.

El Sloth said:
I think SRK would mount a raid on the Capcom offices if it were to come out that Backbone was involved.

Good, good. I also see less and less of SEGA/Capcom ports these days being worked on by Backbone. All the work lost by Backbone is a great gain by everyone.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Leunam said:
I knew it was a Kuroda video before I clicked the link. That really doesn't prove anything aside from the fact that he is one of the absolute best 3S players out there. Aside from people like him, Sugiyama, Kokujin and RX, most people stick to Ken, Yun, and Chun Li. There is way more variety in tournaments in SFIV than just the top four or five characters. Q only looks viable in that video because it's Kuroda playing him.

Well, just as long as we apply this logic across the board to SSF4 as well. Great players can make chaacters look viable when you believe they are not. So...how do you really tell?

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Raging Spaniard said:
Because new game = new system.

SF III was awesome and SF IV is pretty awesome itself, I dont get why when it comes to sequels people have to champion one game above all and call the rest crap. Lots of people have played both games and gotten years of fun because of them, not that big a deal.

El Sloth said:
Because not everyone likes to rushdown. I used to think like you, but realized that parrying limits the number of playstyles open to the player. For example: you can't really play a zoning character very effectively with parrying. I'm thinking Dhalsim specifically.

Edit: And what he said^.

BAH to both of yous! :D

I understand what you guys are saying though, but if I had to choose, I would pick the parry system.

Leunam

Kintaro said:
So...how do you really tell?

If a character is viable or if he only looks viable? 3S has the luxury of having been around for years and people know what works and what doesn't. Q was and still is not very good (garbage even) in high level play unless the guy using him knows his shit.

Funny enough, Kuroda used Ken at the last SBO.

Raging Spaniard

g35twinturbo said:
BAH to both of yous! :D

I understand what you guys are saying though, but if I had to choose, I would pick the parry system.

Then you play SF III, no problem then.

If youre the creator, the one making the game, you and your team want to figure out NEW ways to have fun, new ways to try and create a new experience. If the system that comes out of that isnt your favorite, well, too bad ... but people need to realize that game creators want to make new shit, not just use the old stuff.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Raging Spaniard said:
Then you play SF III, no problem then.

If youre the creator, the one making the game, you and your team want to figure out NEW ways to have fun, new ways to try and create a new experience. If the system that comes out of that isnt your favorite, well, too bad ... but people need to realize that game creators want to make new shit, not just use the old stuff.

calm down.

people are getting their panties in a bunch fast today.

kinda forgot this thread was a 3s appreciation thread :|

Top Bottom