• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition |OT| Let's fight like gentlemen!

zlatko

Banned
I played this for 20 mins the other day while waiting on a friend. Fuck my life. It took me that entire 20 minutes to do even onetackle, ex tackle, head butt with Urien while my opponent was in corner in training.

Idk why either. I know about partioning, and my speed/technique, but it just wasn't doing it.

Dem skills got rusty yo.

LakeEarth

I wanna play this game today instead of SFxT. Get my Alex on.

I don't want to play Hugo though, I'll probably keep trying to EX backbreaker to antiair.

Tizoc

I wanna play this game today instead of SFxT. Get my Alex on.

I don't want to play Hugo though, I'll probably keep trying to EX backbreaker to antiair.

Heh, what are Hugo's best anti-airs in 3S I wonder?
Hugo can do Cr. LK-->EX Lariat, but the farther away you are when Cr. LK connects, EX Lariat might miss.

LakeEarth

Heh, what are Hugo's best anti-airs in 3S I wonder?
Hugo can do Cr. LK-->EX Lariat, but the farther away you are when Cr. LK connects, EX Lariat might miss.

Not much IIRC. Most of it gets stuffed, or is a huge liability if parried (ie. dolphin headbutt move). Anti-air super 3 is good but you only get 2-3 hits max.

He also doesn't have a GTFO move. Most matches I've watched involves Hugo defending against pressure.

LakeEarth

I had a fun night playing me some 3rd Strike. I'm rusty as hell. I have no clue how people in tournaments can jump between games and still be good. I've been playing a lot of SFxT lately, and I kept trying to roll forward or do chain combos. It took me an hour before I started parrying anything.

No Chun's after like 30 ranked matches, which I think is unbelievable! I played like 5 Yangs, 2 Ibukis, and 0 Chuns? The hell has this world come to?

But I did have a lot of fun. Played a good Ibuki, which is rare. And a Yun that knew how to use Genei Jin, which hurt the night's overall fun factor I must say. Such a bullshit super. I almost resorted to picking Chun myself, but I kept my self respect instead. Came close but I never could put away that win.

I then played SFxT for an hour and won every match put in front of me. That game spoils me.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Hah! That made my morning. How come dementia is banned?

3S GAF and Fighting GAF, I finally have non Fisher-Price internet.
I'm based in Tokyo, but it's fibre-optic (PS3 is hooked straight to the modem) so I'd be curious to try a game or two against my EU brethren or US chums.

My usual ID is B-Genius but I may also make a new Japanese account solely for playing randoms here.

I play 3S, SSFIV (gonna probably get AE for PS3 soon - making a triple dip) and am giving the nonsense that is SFxT a try. Hope to see you online like gentlemen!

Vespa

dat Remy!

Things we are confident we can fix:

• Replacing Ping Colors with actual numbers (in milliseconds)

• Matchmaking filters for region (can be set to same region you are in, or “any region”) & ping time

• Lobby can be restricted to players from same region as you, or any region

• EX Bars correct length

• Improved Netcode (I talked about this a bit during the panel, if you want more details please refer to that)

• Max 8 lobbies visible bug on PS3

• Disable Stun as a Training Option

• Rounds and Time Settings affect Arcade

• Default Gill to “banned” in Player Match

• Multi-match modes retains player’s super choice

• Rank Cap resetting to 0

• Option to disable the Challenge HUD from the sides in modes where they are visible

Whoa! bu-bu-but I only understand colours?!

Wasn't expecting an update this late in the day but it is most welcome.

Stuff we are absolutely not addressing (and why). This isn’t a comprehensive list of every single request we received, but does cover most of the frequently requested features:

• Characters/Backgrounds from NG or GA. This isn’t intended to be a Street Fighter III anthology, this is 3SOE. This would also have to be DLC due to the size of the data, and some of the rules about maximum sizes of Title Updates made by the platform holders. There are no current plans to make new DLC.

• Classic Music. Same as above, this would only be available as DLC as it would be entirely too large to be part of a Title Update. There are no current plans to make new DLC.

God damn it these are the only things I want as DLC! I really can't see backgrounds taking up massive amounts of data either wtf.

Jesus, how fucking difficult is it really to give us backgrounds & music from the other SF3 titles? And what kind of excuse is "it would have to be DLC"? I don't particularly care if I have to pay money for it Capcom! Unlike most of your usual rip-off colour palette DLC, this is something I AM actually willing to pay for.

BHK3

Banned
They can't give some other things as well because of how they structured the game and it's DLC, DLC ended up fucking over some features.

Onemic

I feel like getting good fundamentals at SF3 will help my SF4 game simply because it's so damn hard to do moves and links in the game. You pretty much have to be spot on in comparison to SF4 or any fighting game released in the last 5 years.

I feel like getting good fundamentals at SF3 will help my SF4 game simply because it's so damn hard to do moves and links in the game. You pretty much have to be spot on in comparison to SF4 or any fighting game released in the last 5 years.

I think the fundamentals in ST are also very valuable to know/translate well to SF4

Onemic

Considering all the characters I use or am interested in eventually using are in SF3 (Ryu, Akuma, Makoto, Ibuki, Yun) I'm going to be switching full time into SF3 for the time being until I feel my execution/fundamentals are good enough to play SF4 at a higher level. SF3 is such a hard game in comparison, but nothing in there seems like a fluke when you finally get it. You have to be precise and the game doesn't give you any shortcuts, which is better for a beginner attempting to level up(I think) than SF4.

I'm on PSN if anyone wants to body me. FG's are the only games I play ATM so I'll be on frequently.

PSN: onem1c

Ryu is generally my main, but I'm thinking of starting with Yun as I've been currently trying to learn him SF4 and I feel getting good with a combo heavy player such as him will really improve my execution skills which are lacking.

Tizoc

Here's a tutorial video for 3S Yun that'll help in learning the character-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OapcVo0-Oys

Ryu is a pretty solid character, and his supers are among the best in the game. SA1 is good for EX meter, SA2 is a great punish super and SA3 is good for matches where stunning your opponent asap gives a big advantage. Actually all of Ryu's Supers in SF3 are effective, just choose which one is to your style.

Onemic

Thanks. It's mainly his target combo into genei jin that I'm having problems with. I can do it with negative edge(albeit very inconsistently) but without it I always seem to get a shoulder instead or a neutral jump. 3s yun into genei jin is much harder to pull of than sf4 yun, which I can get consistently. I was also messing with makoto a little bit and getting a hit in after her command grab is a lot harder in 3s too. What's the frame advantage you get in 3s vs sf4?(I have a feeling yuns command grab in 3s is similarly harder in comparison to sf4 as well) where do makoto and ibuki even fare on tier lists for 3s anyway?

And random question, why exactly are there so many oe haters in terms of the online? I've been able to be matched up with other players in ranked much faster than I ever have in post sf4 capcom games and I generally have experienced less lag online(yellow ping and up) on 3s than I have on sf4.

Lastly anyone on gaf still play 3s on psn? It would be great to have a list of gaf psn players so I could just add them.

LakeEarth

I was also messing with makoto a little bit and getting a hit in after her command grab is a lot harder in 3s too. What's the frame advantage you get in 3s vs sf4?(I have a feeling yuns command grab in 3s is similarly harder in comparison to sf4 as well) where do makoto and ibuki even fare on tier lists for 3s anyway?

And random question, why exactly are there so many oe haters in terms of the online? I've been able to be matched up with other players in ranked much faster than I ever have in post sf4 capcom games and I generally have experienced less lag online(yellow ping and up) on 3s than I have on sf4.

Lastly anyone on gaf still play 3s on psn? It would be great to have a list of gaf psn players so I could just add them.

Makoto is generally listed in 4th place behind Yun Chun and Ken. She has limitations but she can massacre you so fast in this game it is unbelieveable. Ticking or dash up into her command throw is pretty powerful in the game. Famous Makoto match vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipdfU9fm3f4

Ibuki is low tier, Akuma low health too, but she can be effective in the right hands.

When OE came out, matchmaking was complete garbage and couldn't find you good opponents. You would sit there for 5 minutes waiting and waiting, so you'd say yes to any one it connected you to. And GGPO with a shitty connection is the worst thing in the world.

Then the patch came out and fixed everything. 8 months later, people are still saying "lol 3s:eek:e online sucks!!!" without actually trying it out post patch. It's wonderful now, and I correct people every time I see someone badmouth it, but it still happens.

Tizoc

Thanks. It's mainly his target combo into genei jin that I'm having problems with. I can do it with negative edge(albeit very inconsistently) but without it I always seem to get a shoulder instead or a neutral jump. 3s yun into genei jin is much harder to pull of than sf4 yun, which I can get consistently. I was also messing with makoto a little bit and getting a hit in after her command grab is a lot harder in 3s too. What's the frame advantage you get in 3s vs sf4?(I have a feeling yuns command grab in 3s is similarly harder in comparison to sf4 as well) where do makoto and ibuki even fare on tier lists for 3s anyway?

Makoto is either Top Tier or High Tier. If you're playing against an SA2 Makoto, be careful if you corner her.
Ibuki is Mid at best.
Gouki is High Tier. FYI Gouki has LESS health than Ibuki, but his offensive options and normals for the most part are better than Ibuki's.
Ibuki's a hard and risky character to play with since taking damage will always be to your disadvantage. BUT I have seen various Japanese matches where she can rushdown like mad and destroy the opponent.

Onemic

I've decided to main Yun and Makoto together. (and use Ryu specifically when I want to take a break from training and play some mp matches) I'm working on going into genei jin and since you can't use any shortcuts like in IV(realized that you can't do the down, down forward, and let the stick go neutral shortcut for canceling into 2xqcf movements) it's gonna take me quite some time to just grasp that part of Yun's character and then after that there's the genei jin combos themselves and the other parts of Yuns game....So in between myself getting tired of canceling mp into 2xqcf p all day I main Makoto. She seems to be pure rushdown, but not as combo heavy as Yun, with much of it being based on fundamentals as she has a crazy set of normals/command normals.

I'm guessing spending time being consistent with the character trials will also help in the long run as well?

Onemic

Will take a look. It's actually funny that 3S and not AE has made me a lot more interested in trying out Dudley. He seems way cooler in 3S. Not to mention he's actually good in the game.

general question about jumpins. Does the height that you attack at determine if you will be able to combo afterwards? I'm using Makoto and against Q who is a rather large character her third trial combo is much harder to pull off on him as comboing after the jumping RH seems much harder. I don't know if it's just me or if there are legit height restrictions on jumpins.

Edgeward

general question about jumpins. Does the height that you attack at determine if you will be able to combo afterwards? I'm using Makoto and against Q who is a rather large character her third trial combo is much harder to pull off on him as comboing after the jumping RH seems much harder. I don't know if it's just me or if there are legit height restrictions on jumpins.

Sometimes, usually it just means you'll be able to combo easier. J. rh should have enough hitstun to the opponent to combo afterwards regardless of height. But if you hit the j rh later/"deeper", you will hit the ground quicker with more hitstun left on the opponent.

Onemic

ggs Impact, Sorry about that random dc, had to go to dinner real quick. You seemed to have gotten your skills back getting those Urien unblockable supers on me all over the place. Do you play Makoto by any chance? I've decided to main her almost exclusively(and a bit of yun) but as you can see from the match I played, I don't know jack shit in terms of initiating any sort of offense.

Jesus, how fucking difficult is it really to give us backgrounds & music from the other SF3 titles? And what kind of excuse is "it would have to be DLC"? I don't particularly care if I have to pay money for it Capcom! Unlike most of your usual rip-off colour palette DLC, this is something I AM actually willing to pay for.

Microsoft has rules on the size of free title updates allowed. Otherwise if it's over a certain size you have to make users pay for it. They can't make the content free for PS3 and charge for it on 360 either. It's Microsoft's rules that hold them back. But given that it is Capcom I wouldn't put it past them to charge for it anyways(based on what I've seen them do the past few years)

Tizoc

Microsoft has rules on the size of free title updates allowed. Otherwise if it's over a certain size you have to make users pay for it. They can't make the content free for PS3 and charge for it on 360 either. It's Microsoft's rules that hold them back. But given that it is Capcom I wouldn't put it past them to charge for it anyways(based on what I've seen them do the past few years)

Umm they offered 2I and NG themes as purchase-able DLC, don't see what the problem'd be if the backgrounds from 2I and NG were purchase-able as well.

Onemic

With P4A coming out, I'll have no time to play this game, AE already takes up enough of my time as it is :(

Nice videos RS4, are you still in the GTA?

LakeEarth

After 13 years, I discover some bullshit to this game. At character select, if you select your character but not your super, if your opponent lets character select time run out, your locked in to that super, but he gets to choose his.

Onemic

Makotos hayate xx SA1 is so hard to do its ridiculous. Since playing makoto that's all I've done with her in training mode and I still can't get the timing down. Sometimes it won't come out, sometimes a hayate will come out(usually what happens), and sometimes it just hits too late. I still have no idea what I'm doing wrong when a hayate comes out.

Tizoc

Makotos hayate xx SA1 is so hard to do its ridiculous. Since playing makoto that's all I've done with her in training mode and I still can't get the timing down. Sometimes it won't come out, sometimes a hayate will come out(usually what happens), and sometimes it just hits too late. I still have no idea what I'm doing wrong when a hayate comes out.

If you're using a stick, the trick is to do QCFx2, Tap and release LP, MP, HP. The game regesters inputs as presses and releases, so you're pressing Punch 6 times, try it like that and it should work.

Onemic

If you're using a stick, the trick is to do QCFx2, Tap and release LP, MP, HP. The game regesters inputs as presses and releases, so you're pressing Punch 6 times, try it like that and it should work.

That's what I've been doing for the past month but the results are still like what I posted above. I get the combo to connect maybe 1 out of 10 or so times. The thing I don't understand is why a single hayate comes out more often than not.

Getting a lot of hatemail on the PC side of SSF4AE. Here is one that really cracked me up. Laughed out loud.

dad.jpg

Edit: Whoops wrong thread.

RS4-

With P4A coming out, I'll have no time to play this game, AE already takes up enough of my time as it is :(

Nice videos RS4, are you still in the GTA?

Lol I've spent 5 mins on P4A in the past two weeks.

Yeah still in the GTA. When I have time, I'll upload the rest of the Summer's End videos.

LakeEarth

Uh oh, I just ran into SandyBags on XBL. He fricken dominated the Xbox 1 Street Fighter 3 online. I've mentioned him before, excellent Necro and Hugo. I literally beat him once out of a hundred games back in the day. I'm not joking. ONCE!

Played him 3 times on ranked and... yeah, I almost took a round. So things haven't really changed.

LakeEarth

Whoo, did the Evo Moment #37 parry trial! Lots of fun once you get it down.

The trick (writing down so I don't forget):
Parry 1: the first parry has to be inputted a split second before the super activates. If you're character steps forward more than a pixel, you did it too early and you're probably not going to get the parry.
Parry 2: this is crucial that you don't press forward when the first parry hits. This was my problem. It's too early. You have to wait for parry #1 to happen, then continue parrying. Counting out loud helped me do this (press forward, super activates, count ONE when parry occurs, then continue parrying on two).

For the rest of the timing, just watch Evo Moment #37 until the timing is seared into your brain (7,7,1). Then jump parry the last hit, and do the jumping roundhouse kick very very late.

Xiaoki

...why do I keep seeing Elena vs. Remy as first matches?

Its a team tournament and the line up is chosen by the team captains. So, I guess the captains are putting the Elenas and Remys first to get them out of the way because they are the weakest. Which is also why you dont see Kuroda until late.

Top Bottom