• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V - June update new info

I have zero experience with Warframe. Your suspicion could very well be correct, in addition to the other reasons people use proprietary currency.

My understanding with Steam is that Valve still gets their cut with proprietary currencies. I would assume PSN etc. is identical, which is why I don't understand why they wanted to use Zenny in the first place. If it was a cross-platform currency it would maybe make sense, but costumes and other unlocks in SF5 aren't cross-platform so that can't be it.

Gren

Sean in the story mode.

Zx26QlO.jpg

Pfft, please tell me that's just his model as a background NPC, & not what he looks like in the cinematics. His basketball has better textures than he does, lol.

Story mode sounds cool, even more so that we get to try out 'Rog & Urien before release.

I'm surprised they canned the in-game currency (they would've been able to keep 100% of the revenue that way, no?). Must be an enormous setback for them.

I have zero experience with Warframe. Your suspicion could very well be correct, in addition to the other reasons people use proprietary currency.

Sounds like it's 1 round fights and there are 2 difficulty options. It would be cool if they included a "restart fight" option so you could easily play as a DLC character for a stretch of time, but you'll probably just have to lose the fight on purpose if you want to replay.
oh yeah didn't think of that. Still will be nice if some of the matches are actually challenging. Just make the hard difficulty like the cheap AI I survival and give bosses extra health.

JayEH

How does this compare to, say, Warframe? I'm pretty sure Warframe on PS4 takes you to PSN to make the actual purchase of poorly ratio converted in-game currency. That's why I figured this might have been Capcom trying to not share profits.

You would have to go through PSN to make a purchase for Zenny as well. There's no way for Capcom to sell things on PS4 without going through PSN first.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
My understanding with Steam is that Valve still gets their cut with proprietary currencies. I would assume PSN etc. is identical, which is why I don't understand why they wanted to use Zenny in the first place. If it was a cross-platform currency it would maybe make sense, but costumes and other unlocks in SF5 aren't cross-platform so that can't be it.

Ah, well then. Seems like they were just taking cues from free-to-play games, in that case.

oh yeah didn't think of that. Still will be nice if some of the matches are actually challenging. Just make the hard difficulty like the cheap AI I survival and give bosses extra health.

I think this mode will live or die based on whether the difficulty settings are well-tuned. People don't count the existing character stories as "content" because they provide zero resistance to the player. It would be insane for Capcom to invest all this effort into the cinematic story and then make the same mistake.

It's already troubling that they only have 2 difficulty levels planned. I mean, they have AI levels 1 through 8 for every character. How hard could it possibly be to implement several difficulty levels for story mode? They have been doing that for 25 years of Street Fighter games.

Moaradin

lmao....

Ultra disc had every costume from sfiv, super, AE unlocked except for the preorder ones for the new ultra characters.

So yeah, don't leave out vital details.

Kinda unfair to compare a 4th edition of a game that came out 6 years after the base version to this. Especially since none of those costumes were free when they came out.

lmao....

Ultra disc had every costume from sfiv, super, AE unlocked except for the preorder ones for the new ultra characters.

So yeah, don't leave out vital details.

Ultra disc came out SIX YEARS after initial release. The costumes available in that package were PAID DLC for SIX YEARS before Ultra came out.
Plus, those costumes were only free if you bought the disc version. If you upgraded to Ultra via DLC, you didn't get those costumes. They were still paid.

That's not 'free'.

Come on, now. You knew that before posting.

Kinda unfair to compare a 4th edition of a game that came out 6 years after the base version to this. Especially since none of those costumes were free when they came out.

Yup.

Shadoken

Exactly. You need to compare SFIV vanilla to SFV Vanilla.

I mean even MK XL is going to end up having more content,costumes than the first revision of the next MK game.

Ah, well then. Seems like they were just taking cues from free-to-play games, in that case.

I think this mode will live or die based on whether the difficulty settings are well-tuned. People don't count the existing character stories as "content" because they provide zero resistance to the player. It would be insane for Capcom to invest all this effort into the cinematic story and then make the same mistake.

It's already troubling that they only have 2 difficulty levels planned. I mean, they have AI levels 1 through 8 for every character. How hard could it possibly be to implement several difficulty levels for story mode? They have been doing that for 25 years of Street Fighter games.
Yeah it's weird, but maybe they figure easy hard is all you need. Either you just want to see the story, or you want a
Challenge.

Still single matches seem weird and I'm hoping that was just the demo version or an option. I think this would be a decent replacement for arcade mode to most people if the fights were challenging 2 round bouts.

I'm assuming vs. CPU is just another option added on to the versus screen. But what is extra battle?

And lol they really aren't gonna give us a continue in survival mode? Come on man...it's impossible without your main character I say!!!

Westlo

The shill's the one who brought up Ultra, the SFV costume situation is just disgusting period considering SfXTK was selling indiv costumes for $1.

They seriously wanna charge $4 for that horrible Ken premium alt... smh...

System Direction needs to make a return. Loved unlocking the engine to its maximum potential in 3rd Strike and CvS2.
I think it would be a big feature tbh...it's super fun for casual play to turn up the speed and it might even get a spot at tourney play if the speed is variable like turbo and super turbo.

Is speeding up the game really that difficult? Man...seems like Capcom is just missing out on so many cool ideas., but I'm not a Dev, making a good fighting engine I'm sure is tough work, just so much potentially with the game not yet being taken advantage of.

vg260

SF5 also has free costumes.

Ultra had ZERO free costumes.

Don't leave out vital details.

OK. They gave us 2 completely free costumes. Ryu and Chun's story outfits. (with 2 colors available).

The rest of the story costumes can be bought with in-game currency at 40,000FM per character, which is significant compared to the other content. However, if you do so, you deplete your FM total, which could otherwise be used for other characters, items, and stages with real world money equivalence. So, by purchasing these "free" outfits , if you want other content, you may have to end up playing real money as a result. You can earn FM, but the 50 FM from a match is negligible. No telling how much you'll get from the tasks.

So you can argue there are strings attached to them being "free". Even if they were completely free without having to burn your fight money, I still think that $4 a costume is ridiculous if they do not offer any bundle options. Especially ridiculous if they don't come with all the colors available.

RK9039

Are they going to fix the lag issue? too many people teleport even though they have a 5 ping connection. One of the reasons why I stopped playing. And also they need a better filtering system.

Durden77

Slowly turning this game around. If they can keep the communication high like these past few weeks, we'll be in good shape soon.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Are they going to fix the lag issue? too many people teleport even though they have a 5 ping connection. One of the reasons why I stopped playing. And also they need a better filtering system.

I think the issue is that the bar rating is generated based on a short span of time and therefore doesn't always reliably reflect the consistency of the connection. Is there a way to fix that other than testing the ping for a longer time?

I will say that in last few sessions, 5 bar connections have almost always been perfect, at least on my end. I don't know if that reflects luck on my part or an overall improvement to the system.

Gren

Poor Sean, lol.

I wonder if these will be in real-time, or FMVs? I only say that because I saw the phsyics on both Necalli & Cammy's hair go wonky for a bit (Necalli's dread wrap around his neck, Cammy's braid around her arm). Figure that'd be something they clean up for a pre-render, but maybe they just didn't care.

It looks like it is running in real-time. Someone posted a different video in the other thread, and Necalli's hair isn't like-for-like.

That's pretty cool. I'm assuming this means that whatever costume/stage mods in use on PC will be reflected in the cutscenes then (or just possibly break them, lol)?

RK9039

I think the issue is that the bar rating is generated based on a short span of time and therefore doesn't always reliably reflect the consistency of the connection. Is there a way to fix that other than testing the ping for a longer time?

I will say that in last few sessions, 5 bar connections have almost always been perfect, at least on my end. I don't know if that reflects luck on my part or an overall improvement to the system.

I only search for 5 ping opponents, and most of time they still lag like shit. It's clearly not on my end because all my other multiplayer games run smoothly, but in SFV most players teleport. It's very frustrating.

I only search for 5 ping opponents, and most of time they still lag like shit. It's clearly not on my end because all my other multiplayer games run smoothly, but in SFV most players teleport. It's very frustrating.

Make sure you always have "ask" on for confirmation. I set my search to 4-5 bars and sometimes I still get 1 or 2 bars. Probably due to the other person's connection being unstable or the matchmaking being shit.

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
Do you have fight confirmation turned on so you can see how many bars the opponent actually has? Even with filtering on 5 only you still get shitty connections.

I presume they wanted Zenny in the first place to avoid per-transaction fees from Microsoft/Sony, but as time went on the effort and time spent in putting in a Zenny system was outgrowing whatever money they were saving by not paying MS/Sony on a per-transaction basis.

Just one of the many, many ill-thought things about this game. Thankfully the content update seems very hefty for this month (Ibuki, preview of the remaining DLC characters, full-on story mode). Here's to hoping there's no more delays this time.

RK9039

Yeah I have "ask" on, that's how I know they're supposed to be 5 pings. I've pretty much given up on the game now, unless they address this problem.

The lack of proper singleplayer content is only one among many problems.

Steroyd

Do you accept fights manually or set it to automatic? You can still get 1 bars even with the 5 only filter on, not that it eliminates rollback, I've had perfectly functional 1 bar matchups lol.

Pompadour

『Inaba Resident』;206224273 said:
Make sure you always have "ask" on for confirmation. I set my search to 4-5 bars and sometimes I still get 1 or 2 bars. Probably due to the other person's connection being unstable or the matchmaking being shit.

I'd bet the netcode experience would be way smoother if Wi-Fi was disabled for this very reason.

Top Bottom