• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V sells less than Street Fighter IV in opening week (UK, Physical)

farisr

See: Halo 5 MP
The MP may have been focused on esports, but Halo 5 also featured a heavily marketed cinematic campaign with 4 player online co-op with some extremely hype trailers to appeal to the non-esports crowd at launch. Heck, I'd say the vast majority of the advertising for Halo 5 was focused on the story aspect of the game.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Plus, survival is tied to the online component so that's also difficult for anyone playing by themselves to play.

But you don't need PS+ (which is what he was talking about) to play that and earn fight money and buy stuff in the shop next month as far as I know.

Yeah, its limiting for offline online gamers who can't connect their PS4 to broadband period. But even then, not really as they don't need fight money since they couldn't buy/download anything anyway. And survival works fine offline other than not earning fight money for first completions with characters.

I agree the game is VERY lacking for single player gamers. But I don't think PS+ adds to that as all the non-multiplayer modes work fine, as does offline 2 player. And gamers with no internet shouldn't buy since they can't download the free updates coming next month and in June. But that's again not tied to having PS+ or not.

Demise

If it doesn't reach the internal target that Capcom had (2M for march) who knows how many years it will be actually supported. Capcom are so adverse to losing money nowadays.

They're known to just stop supporting games and remove some of their stuff out of store.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
If it doesn't reach the internal target that Capcom had (2M for march) who knows how many years it will be actually supported. Capcom are so adverse to losing money nowadays.

I wouldn't be concerned there honestly. If base game sales fall short, I'd think they're more likely to support for longer with regular dlc characters etc. to make up that profit shortfall vs. launching a new game and taking a risk again.

I mean if it straight bombed, sure. But that isn't happening. They'll lose sales they could have gotten from casuals who only really play the single player modes. And that does hurt their profit and meeting projections etc. of course.

But those people wouldn't be playing for years, buying DLC down the road for years to come etc. anyway. They just buy once and help sweeten the overall pot. Without them, I'd think they're likely to ride this game with their core base playing regularly online for even longer to try to make up the profits since that will still be a big base, and its way cheaper to pump out characters and costumes than build a sequel with a new engine, systems etc.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Um, excuse me, SF X Tekken became a really good game once all the characters were available. Probably top 5 fighting game from last gen (Top two being Tekken Tag 2 and Utimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3).

Amazing selection:

SFXT3.jpg

Yeah, great game! You know all characters except two all have the same damage values? 30, 60, 90! That's how you balance a fighting game!

Character selection can break a fighting game, but it can't make it.

Yeah, great game! You know all characters except two all have the same damage values? 30, 60, 90! That's how you balance a fighting game!

Character selection can break a fighting game, but it can't make it.
Normals damage normalization wasn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things. SFxTekken's problem certainly wasn't a lack of depth.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Normals damage normalization wasn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things. SFxTekken's problem certainly wasn't a lack of depth.

Oh yeah, absolutely. They had too many useless or nearly useless systems, but I'll always remember the damage thing because it's so... endemic of the situation behind the game. It had so many things going on with an enormous initial roster (even if you discount the "DLC" characters) that they couldn't reasonably add individual damage percentages. It's telling, is what it is.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
1 platform AND...

Let's remember how SF4 was essentially the end of a decade-long fighter draught. It brought in the fighter-starved fans as well as the nostalgic casual fans who hadn't played it since the 90s.

I remember people buying SF4 sight-unseen on launch day, then later confessing "oh it's this unrealistic game with fireballs and shit... In my mind's eye I thought it was a more realistic MMA kind of thing from my childhood memories of it..."

I confess that I'm a person who was like "shut up and take my money!!!" in 2008, while now I'm like "I care about this about as much as I care about the Nth release of SF4"

BTW I do think the lack of content at launch has very very very little to do with this, despite how I'm sure the diehard fanbase will interpret the sales, lacking perspective.

T4pJ5MT.jpg

Uhh...what

Rembrandt

Banned
Yet DR sold more than the last version of SFIV .
And with SFV being on next gen they would have have to started from the beginning again .

A next gen sequel that launched with the release of a new console sold more than DLC packaged as the 3rd or 4th edition (talking about USFIV or the rerelease on PS4?) of a game? It's not that surprising.

We still would have gotten it and it may have been for the best if it released later if it allowed them to work on whatever people are complaining about.

He means no Vs CPU option on the versus screen. If you bought the game for single player content or vs CPU options you got fucked. Plus, survival is tied to the online component so that's also difficult for anyone playing by themselves to play.

Capcom were open about lack of modes but didn't really reveal how short the day one content would be.

AH, that explains the lack of sales. MKX remains the most fleshed out fighter.

There's no offline multiplayer? Seriously? I knew there was no single player, but...

There is, I don't know what he's talking about.

Uh, of course there is, but I'm willing to bet a majority of gamers play in the room by themselves non-competitively. Either that or a lot of gamers prefer to play vs CPU and get to a point where they can play confidently before moving forward to online competition. Come on, it's common sense. I understand trying to defend the game, but it does leave a huge segment of players out.

Rembrandt

Banned
Uh, of course there is, but I'm willing to bet a majority of gamers play in the room by themselves non-competitively. Either that or a lot of gamers prefer to play vs CPU and get to a point where they can play confidently before moving forward to online competition. Come on, it's common sense. I understand trying to defend the game, but it does leave a huge segment of players out.

How does that even happen? vs CPU seems like it would be the first mode made.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
I think when people say SF X Tekken is bad they are referring to the competitive aspect of it and not just how many characters there are. More characters has no bearing on the quality of a fighting game.

Yeah, that game was a POS... just the music bring shills in my spine!

Not necessarily arguing the point, but maybe Capcom had the metrics to suggest otherwise?

Just on a personal note, I'm not a hardcore fighting game fan, but literally the only modes I've played on SFV have training and versus.

TheYanger

Not necessarily arguing the point, but maybe Capcom had the metrics to suggest otherwise?

Just on a personal note, I'm not a hardcore fighting game fan, but literally the only modes I've played on SFV have training and versus.

If nobody played those modes nobody would be complaining. Also it might be an obvious point, but of COURSE those are the only modes you're entering in SF5...

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
He means no Vs CPU option on the versus screen. If you bought the game for single player content or vs CPU options you got fucked. Plus, survival is tied to the online component so that's also difficult for anyone playing by themselves to play.
Score reporting is tied to online. You can play survival offline just fine. You won't earn colors or FM. That's the only downside.

Raist

Banned
I really think the "milking" of SFIV must have had a negative impact on SFV.

People who don't necessarily follow gaming news that much would have still seen a new SFIV version popping up in stores or on PSN/XBL/Steam every now and then and think "fuck it, I'll just wait for Ultra EX plus turbo SFV in 6 months". Except that there won't be one.

I think it's a shame the discussion revolves so much around the lack of content, while the fighting money thing is pretty much a first and a very commendable thing but no one seems to care.

Hasney

Um, excuse me, SF X Tekken became a really good game once all the characters were available. Probably top 5 fighting game from last gen (Top two being Tekken Tag 2 and Utimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3).

Amazing selection:

SFXT3.jpg

So it was amazing day 1 for the hackers online who could already pay all the DLC characters then? The gameplay though... Yeesh that was some stinky ass game.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member

Amazing selection:

SFXT3.jpg
SFxT became good because of massive patching ("version 2013"), not because of more characters. The game had huge problems from the beginning.

Spman2099

SFxT v2013 was amazing but people had already moved on.

People hadn't just moved on, they had soured. With SFV I think Capcom made some not great decisions, but I don't think they were being evil, and there is some logic to the decision to release it early.

SFxT was released with some downright nefarious intent. They were looking to squeeze the community for everything it was worth. Everyone saw through it and people were PISSED.

Truth be told, v2013 is an amazing game. Still, people weren't willing to even consider giving it a chance. Look at the comments we receive to this day. Pure ignorant nonsense. Still, that is what happens when you piss in the eye of your fanbase.

c0de

Do we know how much money Sony actually gave to Capcom and how the ressources are spent? I mean, it should be a considerable amount when they made the game happen.
And given that Sony had to invest money in it, I think they also had something to say when it comes to a release date?
I don't think it's fair to only blame Capcom in this case, tbh.
Is Sony still spending money on the development in this game to also deliver features that are currently missing?

Rembrandt

Banned
Do we know how much money Sony actually gave to Capcom and how the ressources are spent? I mean, it should be a considerable amount when they made the game happen.
And given that Sony had to invest money in it, I think they also had something to say when it comes to a release date?
Is Sony still spending money on the development in this game to also deliver features that are currently missing?

lol.

definitely not

Going by SF V's budget, Sony likely paid for this game's development with the profits from Puppeteer.

KingBroly

Banned
So I just checked the SF5 leaderboards and there's over 202k on there. It's a shared leaderboard...but yeah. Quite a lot of people at that number, though.

I really think the "milking" of SFIV must have had a negative impact on SFV.

People who don't necessarily follow gaming news that much would have still seen a new SFIV version popping up in stores or on PSN/XBL/Steam every now and then and think "fuck it, I'll just wait for Ultra EX plus turbo SFV in 6 months". Except that there won't be one.

I think it's a shame the discussion revolves so much around the lack of content, while the fighting money thing is pretty much a first and a very commendable thing but no one seems to care.
It's not a shame at all. They should have delayed the game. I usually play offline a ton and can't believe how bare bones that aspect of the game is. They deserve what they're getting with this and hopefully this sets a precedent after Hitman doesn't do well to release full games and not send them to us in parts. This is this gen's versions of microtransactions, 50$ map packs, and day 1 DLC. If I'm paying 80$+. it shouldn't feel like a game lacking content.

Bleepey

Does it even matter?

If the game has a heavily skewed gender representation, that's it. That's the problem right there. Doesn't matter what level of competition it is.

Excuses, excuses. I thought we've gone over this a hundred times already.

First, we have the problem that wrestling itself is rife with issues thanks to being dominated by (presumably straight) male producers, making it a poor example if you're trying to use it as a reference.

Secondly, actual wrestling outfits (rather than ones purely for show) look a lot more like this:

Note the presence of a sports bra flattening out the chest and providing much-needed support, something R. Mika is dearly lacking. Poor girl.

Even just giving her a sports bra would improve that outfit tremendously. The ass window is still incredibly silly and unnecessary, but at least a bra would acknowledge the fact that she's supposed to be a fighter and a person and not just eye candy.

You are upset that a Joshi Wrestler like R. Mika who looks like this:

04_jump_kick.0.jpg

Compared to:

latest
972e044943c80283fc07fa890b3338f6.jpg

Damn SFV sales are tanking in amazon. It's dropped to no.50 now.....Even with a 49.99 sale. Sale already within a week of launch doh! not looking good for financial future of this game...

I've been told by various posters that, as a single player fighting game enthusiast, I'm statistically insignificant and my tastes aren't worth catering to with a story mode, an arcade mode or even a standard versus CPU mode. I wonder if this game is suffering for completely shutting out people like me.

Crayon

I've been told by various posters that, as a single player fighting game enthusiast, I'm statistically insignificant and my tastes aren't worth catering to with a story mode, an arcade mode or even a standard versus CPU mode. I wonder if this game is suffering for completely shutting out people like me.

Are you going to play it when the story mode is in?

Kumubou

Damn SFV sales are tanking in amazon. It's dropped to no.50 now.....Even with a 49.99 sale. Sale already within a week of launch doh! not looking good for financial future of this game...
Didn't Capcom plan for selling about 2m units of the game world wide before the end of March? If we're assuming that there's a 50/50 split between the PS4 and PC versions (and the SteamSpy data would roughly corroborate this) and you assume a 70% retail/30% digital split on the PS4 (a bit high? probably in the ballpark for a title like this), Capcom would be looking to ship about 700,000 retail copies of SF5 worldwide -- but the sales of the game are nowhere near that. If they actually shipped that many copies (or anywhere close to that), retail channels are going to be stuffed and it wouldn't surprise me to see some deep discounts on the retail version of the game relatively quickly.

I actually don't think this launch will matter much in the long run if Capcom and Sony are willing to support the game for the long term. Given Capcom's financial state though, that's an open question. It may come down to Sony deciding to either treat this game like Driveclub (where they elected to keep long-term support for the title despite a disastrous launch) or like SOCOM 4 (where they basically cut support off immediately after it bombed at launch). I would lean toward the former given the history of the series, but I doubt Capcom is going to be willing (or able) to throw much more at the game at this point.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Didn't Capcom plan for selling about 2m units of the game world wide before the end of March? If we're assuming that there's a 50/50 split between the PS4 and PC versions (and the SteamSpy data would roughly corroborate this) and you assume a 70% retail/30% digital split on the PS4 (a bit high? probably in the ballpark for a title like this), Capcom would be looking to ship about 700,000 retail copies of SF5 worldwide -- but the sales of the game are nowhere near that. If they actually shipped that many copies (or anywhere close to that), retail channels are going to be stuffed and it wouldn't surprise me to see some deep discounts on the retail version of the game relatively quickly.

I actually don't think this launch will matter much in the long run if Capcom and Sony are willing to support the game for the long term. Given Capcom's financial state though, that's an open question. It may come down to Sony deciding to either treat this game like Driveclub (where they elected to keep long-term support for the title despite a disastrous launch) or like SOCOM 4 (where they basically cut support off immediately after it bombed at launch). I would lean toward the former given the history of the series, but I doubt Capcom is going to be willing (or able) to throw much more at the game at this point.

50/50 seems off at least going off other recent fighters...games like MK sold a ton more on consoles

KingBroly

Banned
50/50 seems off at least going off other recent fighters...games like MK sold a ton more on consoles

Well MK X was a shit port and had problems from Day 1, so that cannibalized sales quite a bit. While SF5 doesn't have the performance issues on PC that MK X did, the server issues and a lack of content are major issues right now.

Kumubou

What do you think the percentage of people who have never played a ranked match on PS4 is? There is a going to be a percentage of players who never play online, but even if only 20% of the people who bought the game played one or more ranked games (and that I think is too low), that would still put the game at under a million units sold through.

That and I think MKX's percentage is skewed by the game having a reputation of being an awful port and staying that way (to the point where WB/NRS just completely dropped support for it) while being fine on console (aside from the awful netcode, which is only just now being fixed), whereas SF5's issues are mostly affecting the PC and PS4 versions equally (aside from some dumb issues with the PC version, like no DirectInput support or keyboard rebinding).

TheYanger

What do you think the percentage of people who have never played a ranked match on PS4 is? There is a going to be a percentage of players who never play online, but even if only 20% of the people who bought the game played one or more ranked games (and that I think is too low), that would still put the game at under a million units sold through.

That and I think MKX's percentage is skewed by the game having a reputation of being an awful port and staying that way (to the point where WB/NRS just completely dropped support for it) while being fine on console (aside from the awful netcode, which is only just now being fixed), whereas SF5's issues are mostly affecting the PC and PS4 versions equally (aside from some dumb issues with the PC version, like no DirectInput support or keyboard rebinding).

The online numbers are probably much higher percentage wise for SF5 too than most fighters (like MK) because there's nothing else to even do. If someone bought it and didn't go online they basically didn't play anything.

Crayon

2 million doesn't sound like a realistic target for 6 weeks of sales. Seems like this claim was made as far back as may 2015. Seems like a dumb expectation.

Besides not meeting that strangely high goal, the game seems to be off to a good enough start. To me it looks like it's making a rocky transition into a service like competitive game. It may not survive the switch but I think it has a better chance surviving in the longterm if it's a little more like csgo and focuses on maintaining a happy userbase.

Too bad about the messaging. Could have been avoided by postponing the retail release and just making the game paid beta status until later in the year when the single player stuff was polished up.

k4n3

Banned
its funny how people are talking so glowing about SFxT but still give SF5 a hard time for the short prologue story.... SFxT was a fun game but had the worst story mode in the history of fighting games

even if SF5 sales are low they will support the game with DLC even if its only 6 characters a year and a couple of new stages, the only thing that low sales will hurt is any other future DLC story modes past the first one

Apropos of nothing: I'm a person who buys virtually every fighting game that comes out (a few of the obscure Japanese moe-fighters aside), and SFV is only the second fighting game I have ever bought digital-only. (Skullgirls was the first.) The Steam/PS4 crossplay and decently interesting mod community that the Steam version of SFIV developed caused me to make that decision.

I'm not saying there are vast untold legions of digital-only purchases, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised if the digital numbers for SFV are considerably higher (percentage-wise) than they were for other fighting games, with the possible and rather obvious exceptions of Skullgirls and Killer Instinct.

catmincer

I only play fighting games offline due to living nowhere near another country. There's too much lag to play :( so I like arcade modes and story modes. I'll probably pick it up 3 months from now when it's on discount.

A.E Suggs

I bought Street Fighter IV at release but I didn't buy V. No arcade mode, are you serious? I don't play online at all.
But will you buy it when arcade mode comes out? Just curious to see because if an arcade mode can increase sales they might wanna get on that.

And by that I mean by like next week(or month) at least. I mean how hard is it to program in an arcade mode?

Going by SF V's budget, Sony likely paid for this game's development with the profits from Puppeteer.
Playstation all stars was probably given more budget than SF5 lol.

eksy

Banned

For all the changes CAPCOM made to the game to try and capture the largest audience possible (3-frame links, censorship, etc), they really do make us feel like second-class citizens.

I can only speak for myself, but the best way I like to enjoy FGs is to run the gamut of all the SP content with my favorite char(s) (main), before even exploring the online competitive aspect. This at least lets you feel competent in some level. I know human opponents are very different than AI, but learning the fundamentals is what matters here, and throwing a casual SP to the wolves of the online can cause one to jump right out as quickly and never return.

I understand their immediate focus on the FGC and CPT, but for the rest of us, they really need to show how invested they are by listening and responding to feedback. Challenges and Story Campaign incoming is good, but I think the initial first impression is so important; they screwed up did real damage on themselves.

An Arcade Mode with progressive difficulty (complete with character specific ending) is such a great way to learn a character's moveset. A story campaign is a big bonus. MKX has fun little side things like exploring the Krypt, or destroying progressively denser objects (Test Your Might). SF used to have fun little stuff like this (destroy cars, kicking barrels). Minor in the grand scheme of things but effective distractions that add variety and at least showed some effort. Not saying these things will sell a game to a casual, but it's addition is not unwelcomed.

CAPCOM has a lot of ground to make up; I think they get a second chance with an immersive story campaign, add in Arcade, good Challenges/tutorial, and things might start to look greener by the end of the year if not sooner.
The alternative future is that it stagnants (or dwindles) in popularity, despite a new DLC character being released every month. SFV is not the only game out there for the rest of 2016, and not sure how effective daily challenges will be to keep an audience.

As someone who's been really critical of SF V's game's lack of content, I finally played a couple hours of this today.

It's freakin' awesome. The gameplay is the best it's ever been and it's so much more accessible to casual players like me.

If Capcom can actually add in Arcade Mode, Vs. CPU, and some other single player stuff, it'll easily be my favorite entry in the series. I really hope the Story Mode expansion in June doesn't disappoint.

its funny how people are talking so glowing about SFxT but still give SF5 a hard time for the short prologue story.... SFxT was a fun game but had the worst story mode in the history of fighting games

even if SF5 sales are low they will support the game with DLC even if its only 6 characters a year and a couple of new stages, the only thing that low sales will hurt is any other future DLC story modes past the first one

To be fair, SFXT had the most SF content in a a SF this side of SFA3Max.

In many ways it is the exact opposite of SFV...Tons of content, gameplay left a lot to be desired.

Top Bottom