• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V sells less than Street Fighter IV in opening week (UK, Physical)

MilesTeg

Banned
Game likely has bad word of mouth due to broken online, crazy loading/wait times, bad single player. February isn't an ideal time to launch either. Should have waited til the game was functional and the story mode added.

Its a great game imo but Capcom deserves their fate with this one.

jrush64

Banned
But will you buy it when arcade mode comes out? Just curious to see because if an arcade mode can increase sales they might wanna get on that.

And by that I mean by like next week(or month) at least. I mean how hard is it to program in an arcade mode?

Playstation all stars was probably given more budget than SF5 lol.

I most certainly will. I like the cast of characters like Charlie, Alex and R. Mika.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
For all the changes CAPCOM made to the game to try and capture the largest audience possible (3-frame links, censorship, etc), they really do make us feel like second-class citizens.
They were always looking to expand the base of competitive players.

Catering to people that don't play other people isn't going to convert beans.

Platy

For all the changes CAPCOM made to the game to try and capture the largest audience possible (3-frame links, censorship, etc), they really do make us feel like second-class citizens.

One very specific change of camera that they totaly forgot about when doing anything about Laura and his costume and story drawings and about fixing the "P2 gravity bug"

Game likely has bad word of mouth due to broken online, crazy loading/wait times, bad single player. February isn't an ideal time to launch either. Should have waited til the game was functional and the story mode added.

Its a great game imo but Capcom deserves their fate with this one.

I agree. If Capcom doesn't do something very fast, SF V could wind up having a very short lifespan unlike with the other past SF titles.

Im not a really big fighting game fan but how does this compare to killer instinct on xbox one fan base wise? It seems like instead of a new game thats basically the same thing as street fighter 4 they have chosen to update it with new seasons of content. Maybe thats the model more fighting games should go to.

Im not a really big fighting game fan but how does this compare to killer instinct on xbox one fan base wise? It seems like instead of a new game thats basically the same thing as street fighter 4 they have chosen to update it with new seasons of content. Maybe thats the model more fighting games should go to.

Season 1 was 8 fighters and for all the costumes it was 40$ I think

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
A couple thousand people registering for EVO really doesn't mean much in terms of sales. SFV will no doubt do well in the small tourney fighting game community but its going to need some serious help if its going to have sales legs whatsoever

Yeah, but a bad Steam review... Oh man. Solid proof.

mo60

Joke?

The game is fine and Capcom reached what they aimed.

2m shipped at end of March is safe in my view.

I don't think 2 million is going to happen at this point unless they flood the channels with copies of the game because of the bad word of mouth. Probably around 1.5 million sold is a good prediction to make.It may even sell under 1 million by then.It should do fine in the long run, but it's not going to meet any of Capcom's expectations in the short term right now.

Mik317

No way the game dies soon. SFxT died because they had SFIV to go back to (Marvel to a lesser extent). SF3 got 3 updates FFS.

Sayad

A couple thousand people registering for EVO really doesn't mean much in terms of sales. SFV will no doubt do well in the small tourney fighting game community but its going to need some serious help if its going to have sales legs whatsoever
His post was a replay about the game's "lifespan" not sales, which wasn't going to be affected by people wanting to play a story mode in the first place. Competitive scene kept SFIV alive until SFV came out, and if SFV is already a bigger draw with that crowed, then its "lifespan" will be just fine.

His post was a replay about the game's "lifespan" not sales, which wasn't going to be affected by people wanting to play a story mode in the first place. Competitive scene kept SFIV alive until SFV came out, and if SFV is already a bigger draw with that crowed, than its "lifespan" is just fine.

I cant disagree with that. The game I'm sure will leg and get attention well in the tourney scene. But thats not what gets SFVI made. Sales do. I'm not trying to say the franchise is doomed but its certainly not thriving and Capcom will need to figure something out.

The Adder

Banned
His post was a replay about the game's "lifespan" not sales, which wasn't going to be affected by people wanting to play a story mode in the first place. Competitive scene kept SFIV alive until SFV came out, and if SFV is already a bigger draw with that crowed, then its "lifespan" will be just fine.

No, a large amount of people purchasing SFIV, new editions of SFIV, and SFIV content kept SFIV qlive until SFV came out. If SF isn't moving the units Capcom projected it would, it won't sell the amount of content they expected it would. If it's not selling the amount of content they expect it to, Capcom will stop supporting it.

Renekton

No, a large amount of people purchasing SFIV, new editions of SFIV, and SFIV content kept SFIV qlive until SFV came out. If SF isn't moving the units Capcom projected it would, it won't sell the amount of content they expected it would. If it's not selling the amount of content they expect it to, Capcom will stop supporting it.
The dropoff on mainline console SF from 3.4m for vanilla to 1.1m for Super suggests the alleged casual crowd, if they did buy into vanilla, disappeared.

The Adder

Banned
The dropoff on mainline console SF from 3.4m for vanilla to 1.1m for Super suggests the alleged casual crowd, if they did buy into vanilla, disappeared.

Do you legit believe the FGC can move 1.1 million units? Also, do you believe 3.4 million and 1.1 million were below Capcom's projections?

I think people are to caught up in the distinction between "FGC" and "casuals". I've never entered a tournament in my life, but enjoy fighting games enough to own an arcade stick. I bought SF4 day 1, but didn't care enough to buy Super 4 etc until I nabbed it for $10 on PC. I don't care about single player, and think multi is where it's at for fighting games. Am I casual or part of the FGC?

KingBroly

Banned
Exactly what myself & others are concerned about.

A lot of people are, myself included, because we feel that Capcom made the wrong call to bet big on their core demographic that's a very small part of the picture when they need to shoot for loftier goals.

When a game ships without content that people expected (Offline versus CPU, Arcade) you can't blame people for being pissed that it's not there because there was no reason to expect they wouldn't be.

It not only hurts Capcom for Street Fighter 5, but other games down the line where people go 'okay, what are you leaving out of this time?'

Sayad

No, the game staying relevant in the competitive scene is what kept SFIV alive past SSFIV and it is what killed SFxT. SFxT sold more than SSFIV but didn't get as much continued support because Capcom didn't think the game's dedicated crowd is big enough.

SFV initial projected sales include casuals, if they fail to meet it that could just mean they failed in their casual projection. Continued support isn't tied to that, it's based on active users post release and is fully dependent on the game's core crowd, that was made clear since they announced SFV's content delivery model last year.

I think people are to caught up in the distinction between "FGC" and "casuals". I've never entered a tournament in my life, but enjoy fighting games enough to own an arcade stick. I bought SF4 day 1, but didn't care enough to buy Super 4 etc until I nabbed it for $10 on PC. I don't care about single player, and think multi is where it's at for fighting games. Am I casual or part of the FGC?

Do you watch tournaments or competitive streams? If not, you probably aren't defined as being part of the "FGC". That doesn't make you a "casual" by definition, but it's worth noting that the FGC is not a particularly inclusive group. You shouldn't take it as a judgment of your ability to play the game or investment in the game, but rather your investment in the community.

The reason you see so much made of the FGC is because, like GAF, it's a community that tends to radiate influence out beyond its immediate scope. From the perspective of Capcom's community outreach, the opinion of one person in the FGC is probably worth ten (or more) opinions of "normal" players because they are simply that much more vocal and that much more likely to influence hardcore and casual players alike.

That creates a notable tension when there are choices made that the FGC generally prefers, but casual players do not. Rather than doing a straight-up democratic process they have to consider weighted values. That said, there is of course always a point where the value swings the other way; a choice that pisses off five million casual players is not worth it, even if it wins over ten thousand members of the FGC.

A.E Suggs

Do you legit believe the FGC can move 1.1 million units? Also, do you believe 3.4 million and 1.1 million were below Capcom's projections?

Yeah they can actually, the FGC is made of casuals as well as hardcore players. You act like casuals don't become part of the FGC or that to be part of the FGC you have to go to tournies, which you don't.

If i'm being honest I don't really like this casual/hardcore distinction because I'm casual when it comes to fighting games(outside of smash I guess) and I don't give a crap about single player modes, me and my buds just like to all get a game and test our above average skill in fighters. I just want online to work right is all.

But all this doesn't really matter, if DOA5 can manage a million within a month or 2 then i'm SFV can so long as they get their act together

I don't think 2 million is going to happen at this point unless they flood the channels with copies of the game because of the bad word of mouth. Probably around 1.5 million sold is a good prediction to make.It may even sell under 1 million by then.It should do fine in the long run, but it's not going to meet any of Capcom's expectations in the short term right now.

Back in early 2009, Capcom updated their sales milestones by reporting that they had hit two and a half million sales of SF IV at retail within two months of release. That's just X360 and PS3 worldwide, while the PC version hit four or five months later. For reference, they sold 849k just in North America for both MS and Sony platforms according to February 2009 NPDs after launching on the 12th. SF V launched on the 16th in NA. Unless digital is making up an extraordinary percentage of sales relative to physical copies or they miraculously increase in sales from month to month (which seems generally unheard of outside of the original early '90s fighter boom on consoles), SF V seems on track to doing far, far less than SF IV.

Yeah, but a bad Steam review... Oh man. Solid proof.

I understand that we have an incomplete sales picture right now as is and that even if it launches out of the gate with lackluster sales that the game could indeed have great legs, so there's still time. As such, I'm not really one for prognosticating about the long term sales viability of this game. It's still early, and I think it could go either way.

Having said that, your posts here are really disingenuous and frankly bad. This isn't the "game's getting reamed by Steam users" thread. This is a thread that offers hard sales numbers. Mind you, it's numbers in one region that don't account for PC or digital PS4 sales, but we also have some idea of how it's doing on Steam. Again, I'm not here to suggest that the game is doomed by any means. But countering a thread based on the premise of declining sales that is backed up by hard numbers with news of record EVO registrations coupled with a post like this where you really tear into a strawman is participating in extremely poor faith.

This game isn't going to die and I'll tell you why: it's the most fun I've ever had playing a fighting game. And this is coming from a guy who's still disappointed in the laughable lack of modes at launch. This game has an incredibly solid foundation and is going to be loved for a long, looooong time. The FGC already seems to adore it and as long as Capcom continues to update it, puts the game on sale from time to time, and eventually releases a F2P starter version, this game will live on for many years. But first they need to get that Arcade Mode and VS CPU mode started!!!

It is true that sales will probably be extremely disappointing for its launch month though.

A.E Suggs

Back in early 2009, Capcom updated their sales milestones by reporting that they had hit two and a half million sales of SF IV at retail within two months of release. That's just X360 and PS3 worldwide, while the PC version hit four or five months later. For reference, they sold 849k just in North America for both MS and Sony platforms according to February 2009 NPDs after launching on the 12th. SF V launched on the 16th in NA. Unless digital is making up an extraordinary percentage of sales relative to physical copies or they miraculously increase in sales from month to month (which seems generally unheard of outside of the original early '90s fighter boom on consoles), SF V seems on track to doing far, far less than SF IV.

Well it was going to do far less anyway seeing as its only on ps4 even without the backlash. I thought SFIV sold better than that within a month but looking at that it took SFIV too actually get to 2million, but it got to 3 million pretty fast.

I know MK sells more on average than SF in general but I know MK9 sold faster in a month than SFIV did.

Right, SFV at this point is not "doomed". It is early days still and far too early to make such a declaration. What does seem to be being indicated though is that at the very least its going to launch soft. Regardless of how many Evo registrations it gets, or how much the core community love it, sales are the end all be all factor in this industry.

Now, its possible this thing has fantastic legs. But if thats going to happen Capcom have to make that happen. They need to get out in front of this thing and start expanding the release in a real and quality sort of way. Change the perception that is currently out there that this is a poor product for your average joe layman.

Dubz

Haven't read much of this thread, but did the digital sales make up for the shortfall? Also SF4 was released on 2 consoles.

Steroyd

A lot of people are, myself included, because we feel that Capcom made the wrong call to bet big on their core demographic that's a very small part of the picture when they need to shoot for loftier goals.

When a game ships without content that people expected (Offline versus CPU, Arcade) you can't blame people for being pissed that it's not there because there was no reason to expect they wouldn't be.

It not only hurts Capcom for Street Fighter 5, but other games down the line where people go 'okay, what are you leaving out of this time?'

A bit late for that, Capcom are notorious for releasing a Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan Hyper Turbo Edition of the same game 1 year later and I wouldn't be shocked if people are waiting for the same to happen to this game.

Renekton

A bit late for that, Capcom are notorious for releasing a Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan Hyper Turbo Edition of the same game 1 year later and I wouldn't be shocked if people are waiting for the same to happen to this game.
Given the big sales dropoffs in SF4-SSF4-USF4 transitions, people don't wait for that.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Having said that, your posts here are really disingenuous and frankly bad. This isn't the "game's getting reamed by Steam users" thread. This is a thread that offers hard sales numbers. Mind you, it's numbers in one region that don't account for PC or digital PS4 sales, but we also have some idea of how it's doing on Steam. Again, I'm not here to suggest that the game is doomed by any means. But countering a thread based on the premise of declining sales that is backed up by hard numbers with news of record EVO registrations coupled with a post like this where you really tear into a strawman is participating in extremely poor faith.
No. Insincere is taking retail sales from one region and mapping it onto a rage fueled agenda where people are hoping for the worst possible outcome out of spite. There is virtually no industrial analysis happening here. R Mika needs a new shirt? People claiming the game lacks modes it actually has? Yes. That is quality discussion.

And me linking to an article in response to a guy saying the game was likely crippled competitively due to this hard industry news is the "strawman" you are worried about?

At least I was on topic.

KingBroly

Banned
Given the big sales dropoffs in SF4-SSF4-USF4 transitions, people don't wait for that.

People are expecting some kind of new iteration or Complete Edition release next year. Too many games do it, particularly fighting games, for a lot of people to believe it won't happen.

Renekton

People are expecting some kind of new iteration or Complete Edition release next year. Too many games do it, particularly fighting games, for a lot of people to believe it won't happen.
They don't, hence the large sales dropoff of subsequent versions.

Or if they believe it will happen, they won't wait to buy that regardless.

border

I don't think the game will "die" -- the FGC loves it and will probably always be there to support it. But in terms of catching on with a more mainstream audience I think the negative reactions have already kinda doomed it. Once they have Arcade/Story mode up and running they will definitely have to make a very focused and concerted marketing push to get anyone who was sitting on the fence interested again. The problem is that when that time rolls around, the online community will be full of experts and savants and any newbies that buy the game will be consistently getting their ass handed to them.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I don't think the game will "die" -- the FGC loves it and will probably always be there to support it. But in terms of catching on with a more mainstream audience I think the negative reactions have already kinda doomed it. Once they have Arcade/Story mode up and running they will definitely have to make a very focused and concerted marketing push to get anyone who was sitting on the fence interested again. The problem is that when that time rolls around, the online community will be full of experts and savants and any newbies that buy the game will be consistently getting their ass handed to them.
Well, savants are already there by definition.

The game is on its own not super hard to pick up. I doubt anyone coming in around July would be incapable of catching up of they had a mind to.

How the marketing shakes out depends a lot on how Capcom approaches it. If you think about it, the story mode will roll out right around Evo. They could push that during the steam etc. Roll that into the coverage and all that. Also the new character drip will help keep the game visible till then.

That isn't the whole picture of course but if they are trying to present a platform more than a one and done game, they will have to keep the game visible a lot longer.

ShadyJ

The fact that the game has been widely adopted by the FGC is a major success and that entrant number at EVO further proves it.

This game will have a massive tail end just as SF4 did, when all the casuals leave the game the FGC will still be there.

border

Well, savants are already there by definition.

The game is on its own not super hard to pick up. I doubt anyone coming in around July would be incapable of catching up of they had a mind to.

After you've already gotten fight money from initial singleplayer Story/Survival challenges, can you reliably earn fight money just on singleplayer play? If players have to win online PVP fights just to earn money for new content, I think that's where people may bounce off.

ShadyJ

There is no "iteration" its all balance updates and DLC characters, they have said from the onset it will be one disc for the games lifespan.

Furthermore the game was released now so that EVO competitors will have the game way before then, there is a whole Pro Tour revolving around this game and that takes president hence why the story mode is coming in June right before EVO?

After you've already gotten fight money from initial singleplayer Story/Survival challenges, can you reliably earn fight money just on singleplayer play? If people have to win online PVP fights just to earn money for new content, I think that's where people may bounce off.

There are daily challenges coming soon that give you fight money and I'm pretty sure a lot of those can be done solo.

Top Bottom