• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V sells less than Street Fighter IV in opening week (UK, Physical)

Tizoc

If it sells as bad now as it seems (Steamspy still puts it at around 105.000 owners) no retailer in their right state of mind will buy a new version from them if he has the old version collecting dust. The best thing Capcom can hope for is to replace those old disks with new ones free of charge (which means Capcom won't make money on it, so they won't do it).
Retailers sold umvc3 which came out 8 months after mvc3
There are also retail releases of arc sys games which releases an updated ger of their prgious game 1 year later

I'm optimistic that Street Fighter can pull through a bad launch... Diablo 3 did it, Final Fantasy 14 did it.

They just have to be really smart about things from this point on. I think probably the best move they can do is have a free to play weekend over EVO. By then cinematic story mode, arcade, and hopefully better training tools will be in the game. If they're really desperate, make it a free PS Plus title like Rocket League was.

As someone who is enjoying the game immensely- I struggled for a while to understand the outrage. Max's video did a really good job of explaining it though... and I hope the Dood will also show how hype the game can be and try to win over some of the skeptics.

The way I see it... "casuals" are intimidated by Street Fighter. They see the FGC as a hostile bunch of greasy guys saying "git gud scrub". So when this was supposed to be a fresh start and the game they were supposed to finally be able to play... they saw that their security blanket (arcade mode) was missing- and immediately felt like Capcom had forsaken them.

The lack of decent in game training tools at launch is really something I see as a bigger problem ... but regardless, the mainstream reputation of this game is in the gutter right now. I hope their damage control is on point... I want that season 2, 3, 4, etc.

Ya.

Dark Souls moved millions and I doubt it was from casuals.

dark souls caught on from word of mouth, starting st the hardcore, then going down. I have friends who are casual gamers, buf freaking love the souls games. I hope the fgc can pull something similar off for this game that people like vaatti vidya and ENB did for the souls games.

SarusGray

I'm optimistic that Street Fighter can pull through a bad launch... Diablo 3 did it, Final Fantasy 14 did it.

They just have to be really smart about things from this point on. I think probably the best move they can do is have a free to play weekend over EVO. By then cinematic story mode, arcade, and hopefully better training tools will be in the game. If they're really desperate, make it a free PS Plus title like Rocket League was.

ooh that'd literally be the worst case scenario if they had to do that lol.

I'm cautiously optimistic. I think the game will sell around 3 million after good press and free marketing from Evo in June along with the updated characters, modes, and story update.

Unless they plan on adding a story mode update every year, that'll be the biggest boost it will get and it will sell decently for the rest of the gen. Capcoms idea here is to grow the FGC and turn more casual players into good street fighter players. It's a move that's caused a ton of back lash with the barebones release, but it could payoff. Like I said cautiously optimistic. I think VF5 is one of if not the best 3D fighter of all time, but the lack of content killed it. SFV doesn't seem to have that problem, just had a rough launch. Driveclub was worse, but now, has a great dedicated community.

I think $40 digital only release and $60 release in June would have been ideal, but I'm not running a business.

Pompadour

I think the massive backlash is proof that interest is alive and well.

Are there other gaming forums that have so many topics about Street Fighter V like on GAF? I always thought it was odd (and actually the reason I started using this forum) was that GAF was very interested in Street Fighter and fighting games in general. The lead up to launch saw a lot of popular threads about SFV. I think a lot of the backlash here is from people who weren't interested in SFV but had a negative opinion on the game because of over exposure here.

I think there's a general dislike of the FGC for being elitist.

Bedlam

I think it's fighters in general. Mortal Kombat was helped by novelty factor, but fighters are old hat.
The new MK games gained huge popularity due to their fleshed out SP modes.

Fighters are not an old hat. Fighters without a story mode are an old hat.

Once arcade mode is patched in though... are sales going to spike? I really don't think that's going to happen...
I don't expect much. It's the first impression that is utmost important.

Also, by the time the story mode gets released, lots of used copies will be for sale and many people, especially those that are currently somewhat soured on the game, are going to opt for those. Capcom is losing those potential customers as well.

ethomaz

Banned
Looks like SFV had a good start in Germany.

02 (18) [PS4] STREET FIGHTER V

Second place in the Week 1... it was 18th in Week 0 (some retail break the street date).

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Retailers sold umvc3 which came out 8 months after mvc3
There are also retail releases of arc sys games which releases an updated ger of their prgious game 1 year later

Except MvC3 sold pretty well during those 8 months. Not OMG THE CHARTS ARE ON FIRE well, but it didn't have a perception issue outside of no spectator and the like online issues.

Once arcade mode is patched in though... are sales going to spike? I really don't think that's going to happen...
Not a spike, but it will help. This update gets some fence sitters, this update gets some casuals, Evo and Story mode markets the game again, and there's a lot of excitement around the finals etc...it's meant to sell well over a long period of time, of course it would have been better to come out getting 9/10s and having a more complete game but for whatever reasons Capcom decided against it. Only time will tell if it effected the games success drastically or not.

Out of curiosity I looked up Street Fighter x Tekken's Japanese launch numbers-

[PS3] Street Fighter X Tekken (Capcom, 03/08/12) – 58,471

[360] Street Fighter X Tekken (Capcom, 03/08/12) – 8,527

... now I'm depressed again...

In the first 3 months Street Fighter x Tekken only sold 1.4 million copies globally and was seen as a huge failure. I really can't see SFV outperforming that now. :(

As someone who has avidly played fighting games for the past 25 years and severely dislikes the FGC for elitism, I can corroborate this statement.

As a stream monster and fgc aficionado from 22 years, you are wrong

Fgc is one of the most open and welcome communities. There are asses everywhere but in the fgc is mostly good.

Now, Mobas...

poodaddy

As a stream monster and fgc aficionado from 22 years, you are wrong

Fgc is one of the most open and welcome communities. There are asses everywhere but in the fgc is mostly good.

Now, Mobas...

"No my genre's nothing like what you just described and I can objectively prove it by saying that I'm a stream monster. Now this other genre though? I'll just go ahead and imply that it's shit......"

Pretty sure you just proved my point man :/

Renekton

"No my genre's nothing like what you just described and I can objectively prove it by saying that I'm a stream monster. Now this other genre though? I'll just go ahead and imply that it's shit......"

You still need to prove that majority in your local FGC are asshats :D

poodaddy

You still need to prove that majority in your local FGC are asshats :D

Why would I need to prove that? I was stating my experience on a video game message board, there's zero incentive or purpose to me "proving" anything, especially when my statement was mostly one of subjectivity. Seems like you're looking for data that can't be populated. Can't help ya there brother.

farisr

I suspect they'll keep at if if they love playing arcade mode to this degree.
Survival mode and Arcade mode are not nearly the same thing though. You die at lvl 30 in survival, you have to go through the past 29 fights again. The prospect of that is enough to make casuals give up if they've died near the end or in the middle. In a traditional arcade mode, you get to continue from the fight where you lost. It makes a big difference.

poodaddy

Survival mode and Arcade mode are not nearly the same thing though. You die at lvl 30 in survival, you have to go through the past 29 fights again. The prospect of that is enough to make casuals give up if they've died near the end or in the middle. In a traditional arcade mode, you get to continue from the fight where you lost.

Yeah this is a big one for me. Survival modes are nice for a change, but I don't think I've ever actually fully completed one in anything so the prospect of having survival mode take the place of arcade mode is not very enticing to me.

Survival mode and Arcade mode are not nearly the same thing though. You die at lvl 30 in survival, you have to go through the past 29 fights again. The prospect of that is enough to make casuals give up if they've died near the end or in the middle. In a traditional arcade mode, you get to continue from the fight where you lost. It makes a big difference.

The fact that is has to continued to be explained to some why Arcade and Survival are, in fact, very different modes is really quite baffling.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Are there other gaming forums that have so many topics about Street Fighter V like on GAF? I always thought it was odd (and actually the reason I started using this forum) was that GAF was very interested in Street Fighter and fighting games in general. The lead up to launch saw a lot of popular threads about SFV. I think a lot of the backlash here is from people who weren't interested in SFV but had a negative opinion on the game because of over exposure here.

I think there's a general dislike of the FGC for being elitist.

No. Most of the negative sentiment is from long time fans who feel somewhat burned by the idea of being charged full price up front for a less than half a product that hasn't even been functioning properly. The rest are long time fans like myself who are holding out because we feel burned by Capcom attempting to charge us full price for less than half a product that hasn't been functioning properly.

I've said many times, it's not so much the lack of content. It's the PRICE combined with the lack of content as well as the worrying amount of oversights like any sort of offline fallback for gaining fight money.

Shadoken

Idk , I only recently moved here to norcal and the FGC members at tourneys and events are super friendly and helpful.

And Mobas have had a toxic community for years. It has a lot to do with the game play. Its a team game and that you can lose because some dude on your team is being an idiot and not co-operating. It brings out the worst in people.

Again both games are going to have ass hats online. But I have had such a bad experience in most of my Dota games playing solo , that I mostly just stick to playing with my friends as a team.

poodaddy

Idk , I only recently moved here to norcal and the FGC members at tourneys and events are super friendly and helpful.

And Mobas have had a toxic community for years. It has a lot to do with the game play. Its a team game and that you can lose because some dude on your team is being an idiot and not co-operating. It brings out the worst in people.

Again both games are going to have ass hats online. But I have had such a bad experience in most of my Dota games playing solo , that I mostly just stick to playing with my friends as a team.

That's fair enough, and honestly I know nothing of the moba communities as I don't play those games. I just have some buddies who are really into it who are pretty good dudes, but then I can also say that about fighting games as well. I've just been playing fighting games so long that I've met the undesirable elements quite a few times over the years. I'd say that by large fighting game enthusiasts are great people just like anyone else, but there is certainly a very vocal, sexist, and hateful minority of players who cast a somewhat negative veneer over the genre as a whole. It doesn't help that these types of players can usually be seen in public venues and, as such, are becoming something of a common representation of the "FGC" as a whole. It can't be helped, a community will be judged by the lowest common denominator, never the highest. The same goes for Moba's and all the other competitive genre's, but the only genre I know anything of at all is fighting games honestly so I really can't speak on the others.

poodaddy

i dunno man. you're part of this fgc too, the one that's associated with neogaf. are you calling yourself an elitist then?

You say that, but I've also been told, by many fine upstanding members of the FGC, that I'm actually not a member of the FGC because I don't play competitively anymore. In fact, words that I think are generally used to describe people like me who don't play online anymore and enjoy the games on a casual level include the following: scrub, pussy, casual, bitch, and other flattering adjectives. Am I an elitist? No, I don't think so but I don't think I can really say, that's more up to you. I just don't like seeing how mean fighting game enthusiasts can be to each other and how quick they are to talk shit. It's true that I've played fighting games all my life though, even back in the early 90's in arcades. So if that makes me a part of the FGC, then you could say that I'm someone who wants to see it shine and grow, and I'd like to see the grosser parts go away. I think that the moment when I stopped calling myself a part of the "FGC" was that Street Fighter X Tekken tournament a few years ago.....remember the one I'm talking about? http://kotaku.com/5889415/this-is-what-a-gamers-sexual-harassment-looks-like
That grossed me out man. I don't think that the FGC guys on Neo gaf are like that at all, but that was the moment where I kind of took a step back from the community. It just made me feel ashamed for some reason. I don't think any of you guys are like that though, I love the FGC guys on Neogaf for the most part. I just can't divorce my perception of certain segments of the community from my perception of the community as a whole sometimes. I need to work on it.

I feel like you are focusing really hard on the negative. That dumb shit that happened with SFxT was awful, but on the flipside, people like Kayo Police and Kayane (I butchered their names) get mad respect in the community. Every community has a dark side, but it's fair to say that you aren't part of that dark side and stay in the good. I mean, hell, you can apply that to any hobby, or the human race in general.

Like, I've seen my share of dumb shit in the FGC in the past ten years or so. But I've also seen some amazing things happen. Like a group of people being super inclusive to this shy older dude, this girl popping off at my locals (all in good fun, of course) without the usage of any sexist terms from the other side, fundraising events, and just general good times of learning and growing together.

Even online, in the scummiest of forums, I've still encountered some great people.

You gotta learn to divorce yourself of that bad, man. It's gonna make you miss out on some amazing things.

poodaddy

I feel like you are focusing really hard on the negative. That dumb shit that happened with SFxT was awful, but on the flipside, people like Kayo Police and Kayane (I butchered their names) get mad respect in the community. Every community has a dark side, but it's fair to say that you aren't part of that dark side and stay in the good. I mean, hell, you can apply that to any hobby, or the human race in general.

Like, I've seen my share of dumb shit in the FGC in the past ten years or so. But I've also seen some amazing things happen. Like a group of people being super inclusive to this shy older dude, this girl popping off at my locals (all in good fun, of course) without the usage of any sexist terms from the other side, fundraising events, and just general good times of learning and growing together.

Even online, in the scummiest of forums, I've still encountered some great people.

You gotta learn to divorce yourself of that bad, man. It's gonna make you miss out on some amazing things.

Yeah you're right about that. Working on it. I guess on some level it's just that the media always shines this giant spot light on all the negative stuff but very rarely focuses on the positives ya know?

I guess on some level it's just that the media always shines this giant spot light on all the negative stuff but very rarely focuses on the positives ya know?

Yeah... kind of like the outrage about Street Fighter V being an incomplete game at full price even though it's one of the best balanced fighting games Capcom has ever put out. That "missing content" was also never going to be at launch and was advertised as such.

Forbes says Crapcom hates casuals... so it must be true.

farisr

That "missing content" was also never going to be at launch and was advertised as such.
This statement is only true if the "missing content" is referring to trials and cinematic story mode. It is not true if "missing content" is talking about Arcade and vs CPU. Capcom was not clear on that front.

Tik-Tok

As someone who has avidly played fighting games for the past 25 years and severely dislikes the FGC for elitism, I can corroborate this statement.

As someone who has avidly played fighting games for the past 32 years I can who heartedly say both of these posts are worthless.

This statement is only true if the "missing content" is referring to trials and cinematic story mode. It is not true if "missing content" is talking about Arcade and vs CPU. Capcom was not clear on that front.

They were very clear about every mode the game would have- they even made this trailer 2 weeks before launch.

https://youtu.be/eZyqL2q0eg8

Every single character, mode, option, and so on was well documented before launch... the only way to be "surprised" was to do zero research before purchasing.

We had already seen the finished menu screen 1 and 1/2 betas ago also... but obviously "casuals" weren't participating in the beta.

Tik-Tok

There was a fighting game community in 1984?

There were fighting games in 1984?

I can't speak to whether there was a community or not. Just how long I've been playing fighting games. Karate Champ came out in 1984. I jammed the shit out of that at the arcade when I was 4

A.E Suggs

The new MK games gained huge popularity due to their fleshed out SP modes.

Fighters are not an old hat. Fighters without a story mode are an old hat.

I don't expect much. It's the first impression that is utmost important.

Also, by the time the story mode gets released, lots of used copies will be for sale and many people, especially those that are currently somewhat soured on the game, are going to opt for those. Capcom is losing those potential customers as well.

No fighters are still old hats. KOFXIII, Tekken 6, GG and BB have story modes and so did DOA5 and those still only get a million(in DOA5 case) at best. If MK is selling for the story mode only(which is why a lot of people did buy and trade in) that still says fighters are still very much not gonna have their glory days.

Zukkoyaki

Lots of discussion regarding the future of Capcom fighters here. Not calling SFV a failure, but maybe this will finally open Capcom's eyes toward what other Japanese companies are doing. Developers like Arc System Works, Atlus, Spike Chunsoft, and NIS consistently pump out high quality games that don't break the bank and turn a profit on a couple hundred thousand units.

Capcom just doesn't seem to have a clue as to how to develop on a modest budget or set realistic expectations. Not everything needs to be a huge production and sell 2+ million copies to get greenlit. Hell, many thought SNK Playmore was dead and they're still cranking out King of Fighters games. Sure XIV might not be a looker, but fighters live and die based on gameplay. I see no reason why Capcom can't continue at least Street Fighter and Versus with that same sort of mentality.

farisr

They were very clear about every mode the game would have- they even made this trailer 2 weeks before launch.

https://youtu.be/eZyqL2q0eg8.
This trailer you're talking about doesn't even show versus mode (which is in the game) and its main purpose was to show off new features (the trailer itself states this at the beginning) not all modes. And despite that, it doesn't explain what the structure of of story prologue was going to be. Hence, causing many people to believe that story prologue would be an arcade equivalent, and others who didn't assume that to think that Versus and Arcade modes were not in the trailer because they're standard modes.

Capcom never once mentioned the lack of an arcade mode or vs CPU. And their roadmap didn't indicate that arcade mode and vs ai would come down the line. Also, their in store demos for the game have traditional best of 3 matches against CPU (which is not in the final game).

Hence, Capcom was not clear about the lack of arcade and vs CPU. And folks talking about those two modes missing have a legitimate complaint.

You'd have a point if the trailer actually did show all the modes that were in the game at launch, but it didn't.
Every single character, mode, option, and so on was well documented before launch... the only way to be "surprised" was to do zero research before purchasing.
We had already seen the finished menu screen 1 and 1/2 betas ago also... but obviously "casuals" weren't participating in the beta.
1) The menus in a beta aren't necessarily what you'll see in the final game.
2) As far as I know, we didn't have access to the versus menu in the beta to find out that there wouldn't be a Versus CPU mode. I can't say for sure though because I gave up on the betas after the 2nd or 3rd one due to it being very unstable.
3) Story prologue was thought to be the replacement for arcade by many due to capcom being quiet about its structure.

I had followed nearly every bit of news regarding Street Fighter V short of getting my hands on a review copy or watching a stream from someone with the launch version of the game. Was still surprised at the lack of an arcade equivalent and vs cpu.

Top Bottom