• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V sells less than Street Fighter IV in opening week (UK, Physical)

Lots of discussion regarding the future of Capcom fighters here. Not calling SFV a failure, but maybe this will finally open Capcom's eyes toward what other Japanese companies are doing. Developers like Arc System Works, Atlus, Spike Chunsoft, and NIS consistently pump out high quality games that don't break the bank and turn a profit on a couple hundred thousand units.

Capcom just doesn't seem to have a clue as to how to develop on a modest budget or set realistic expectations. Not everything needs to be a huge production and sell 2+ million copies to get greenlit. Hell, many thought SNK Playmore was dead and they're still cranking out King of Fighters games. Sure XIV might not be a looker, but fighters live and die based on gameplay. I see no reason why Capcom can't continue at least Street Fighter and Versus with that same sort of mentality.
Consistently, Capcom fans think "maybe they'll get it now", and Capcom's response is "Wow, people don't want to buy X anymore, we should stop making it."

Korosenai

Pleaseeeee don't play this game if your internet is bad. Just lost a ranked match because I started playing Street Fighter 5 frames per second.

I think Capcom needs to look at what other games are doing in design in regards to UI and user experience. They have to make it easy for people to enjoy their game and always interacting with it and giving them the tools to do that.

poodaddy

I can't speak to whether there was a community or not. Just how long I've been playing fighting games. Karate Champ came out in 1984. I jammed the shit out of that at the arcade when I was 4

You could reach an arcade cabinet at 4? Holy christ.... are you as tall as Hugo?

Lots of discussion regarding the future of Capcom fighters here. Not calling SFV a failure, but maybe this will finally open Capcom's eyes toward what other Japanese companies are doing. Developers like Arc System Works, Atlus, Spike Chunsoft, and NIS consistently pump out high quality games that don't break the bank and turn a profit on a couple hundred thousand units.

Capcom just doesn't seem to have a clue as to how to develop on a modest budget or set realistic expectations. Not everything needs to be a huge production and sell 2+ million copies to get greenlit. Hell, many thought SNK Playmore was dead and they're still cranking out King of Fighters games. Sure XIV might not be a looker, but fighters live and die based on gameplay. I see no reason why Capcom can't continue at least Street Fighter and Versus with that same sort of mentality.

I agree. Even SNK Playmore had to go to 3D modeling with KOF XIV after realizing how time consuming & costly to develop characters in the models of KOF XII & KOF XIII were (according to the SNK wiki of KOF XII, it took them between 16 to 17 months to make each character within 10 different designers, shown here).

Westlo

26k views.

They want to ship 2 million in 6 weeks

See the problem?

Only the hardcore people would've followed SFV news religiously, heck I loved X-COM 1 and bough X-COM 2 day 1 and I didn't even watch a single vid of it and had no idea what was going to be in it. Played the shit out of it until SFV came out a week later...

People are really overrated the effect of CPT streams and new trailers for new characters and modes, the vast majority of views they'll generate will be from people still playing the game which doesn't help them shift more SFV units.

The thing that will get SFV more mainstream is going F2P. Not an Evo stream that might have 300k views with 90% of them already owning the game anyway.,

This has to be the biggest flop this gen? Far worse than others that got serious amounts of threads and focus over the Xmas period. This is a downright shocking number. Nearly every shop I've been on has started to discount it. With the amount of PS4's out there I expected it to do well. I know the game will be "fine" as the core combat is an absolute master class I am loving playing it, but commercially it's a failure

poodaddy

They had stools for kids like me ;) I couldnt' reach an arcade cabinet til I was like 6 or 7. I was a small child ;)

Shit man, that's cool. You couldn't of been that small a child as I wasn't really a small kid but I don't think I could reach a cabinet until around the same age. Probably closer to 6 than 7 but definitely around there.

On topic; I wonder if Capcom will do something along the lines of giving free fight money to early adopters to mitigate some of the bad press of the launch. The game is already down to $40 on Steam which is really not a great sign this quick, so I can't help but think that Capcom's probably going to try to compensate early adopters in some way. Do we have any hard numbers on how the game's sales are going for digital console US yet?

kodecraft

I think Capcom needs to look at what other games are doing in design in regards to UI and user experience. They have to make it easy for people to enjoy their game and always interacting with it and giving them the tools to do that.

Yea, I haven't liked the UI/UX from the start... it seems to continue what SFxT started....meh.

poodaddy

26k views.

They want to ship 2 million in 6 weeks

See the problem?

Only the hardcore people would've followed SFV news religiously, heck I loved X-COM 1 and bough X-COM 2 day 1 and I didn't even watch a single vid of it and had no idea what was going to be in it. Played the shit out of it until SFV came out a week later...

People are really overrated the effect of CPT streams and new trailers for new characters and modes, the vast majority of views they'll generate will be from people still playing the game which doesn't help them shift more SFV units.

The thing that will get SFV more mainstream is going F2P. Not an Evo stream that might have 300k views with 90% of them already owning the game anyway.,

Yeah this poster really gets it. I think Capcom could of had a much better launch with SFV if they just straight up aped KI's business model. I mean how well did KI do? I imagine it didn't sell a ton just because it was Xbone exclusive but I don't remember there being this much backlash for its launch so I assume it was relatively successful, or that it at least met their expectations.

Windforce

This has to be the biggest flop this gen? Far worse than others that got serious amounts of threads and focus over the Xmas period. This is a downright shocking number. Nearly every shop I've been on has started to discount it. With the amount of PS4's out there I expected it to do well. I know the game will be "fine" as the core combat is an absolute master class I am loving playing it, but commercially it's a failure

It's too early to say that.

The game has sold 110+k copies on Steam alone, in 10 days. According to Steamspy 70k copies were sold first day, then 40k copies sold the next 9 days, which isn't bad considering all the day one backlash the game got. We'd expect sales to plummet which didn't happen at all.

We are yet to get numbers for the PS4 version, as the retail numbers do not give us the full picture.
This game should easily break 500k copies first month, I do not think that is the biggest flop of the gen (some Wii U gem must be unfairly holding this title atm), or a commercial failure. Not for a fighting game.

MutFox

Banned
This game is going to have legs, the sales will come.

The gameplay is too good for it to fail,
this is probably one of the best pure fighters ever made.

Yes its single player is currently lacking content,
but once it comes out, players looking for that type experience will slowly be drawn in.

This game won't fail, quote me on it 3 years from now.

Dueck

Banned
Yeah... kind of like the outrage about Street Fighter V being an incomplete game at full price even though it's one of the best balanced fighting games Capcom has ever put out. That "missing content" was also never going to be at launch and was advertised as such.

Forbes says Crapcom hates casuals... so it must be true.

We all know the media has never just let one site form a one-sided opinion that others agree with..... Too many people decry or praise opinion pieces based on whether or not it helps them beat their thoughts into somebody else.

Moving onto an unrelated comment:

Sales numbers and other irrefutable facts are the only points worth using to prove anyone wrong. Otherwise it's a case of "my dad can beat up your dad."

Ultimately though, everyone here is united. We are all passionate about SFV. If nobody wanted the best for it, we would all be apathetic. There'd be no defending it or attacking it.

poodaddy

We all know the media has never just let one site form a one-sided opinion that others agree with..... Too many people decry or praise opinion pieces based on whether or not it helps them beat their thoughts into somebody else.

Moving onto an unrelated comment:

Sales numbers and other irrefutable facts are the only points worth using to prove anyone wrong. Otherwise it's a case of "my dad can beat up your dad."

Ultimately though, everyone here is united. We are all passionate about SFV. If nobody wanted the best for it, we would all be apathetic. There'd be no defending it or attacking it

Now that's one hundred percent true.

It's too early to say that.

The game has sold 110+k copies on Steam alone, in 10 days. According to Steamspy 70k copies were sold first day, then 40k copies sold the next 9 days, which isn't bad considering all the day one backlash the game got. We'd expect sales to plummet which didn't happen at all.

We are yet to get numbers for the PS4 version, as the retail numbers do not give us the full picture.
This game should easily break 500k copies first month, I do not think that is the biggest flop of the gen (some Wii U gem must be unfairly holding this title atm), or a commercial failure. Not for a fighting game.

Does steam spy track refunds? Also it is not fair comparing some Wii u game that has a low number of consoles sales to a console that is outselling the PS2 and is selling like gangbusters, with a franchise that normally does well.

ALl i know is that its been reduced at amazon £37 pounds now from £49.99 2 and a half stars in reviews., reduced at argos and more places.

I am saying this as a Streetfighter fan for over 20 years. My snes was the original with the packaged in grandad edition, i bought turbo at 70 pounds with a steel tin in the uk, I bought an american snes and rebought them all. I boughta dreamcast for 3rd strike. I bought a ps4 for streetfighter V and the game ( outside of the fighting which i know is very very important) is a dissapointment to me, and it looks to be a dissapintment commercially.

but once it comes out, players looking for that type experience will slowly be drawn in.

If microsoft can turn it around as much as they have with the xbox then capcom can easily right this ship. They should give every one the season pass IMO but that's me probably pushing. This game is here for the generation and I will play it until it tis verison is replaced, and then still go back. I always have. the fighting is amazing like I said.

poodaddy

Does steam spy track refunds? Also it is not fair comparing some Wii u game that has a low number of consoles sales to a console that is outselling the PS2 and is selling like gangbusters, with a franchise that normally does well.

ALl i know is that its been reduced at amazon £37 pounds now from £49.99 2 and a half stars in reviews., reduced at argos and more places.

I am saying this as a Streetfighter fan for over 20 years. My snes was the original with the packaged in grandad edition, i bought turbo at 70 pounds with a steel tin in the uk, I bought an american snes and rebought them all. I boughta dreamcast for 3rd strike. I bought a ps4 for streetfighter V and the game ( outside of the fighting which i know is very very important) is a dissapointment to me, and it looks to be a dissapintment commercially.

If microsoft can turn it around as much as they have with the xbox then capcom can easily right this ship. They should give every one the season pass IMO but that's me probably pushing. This game is here for the generation and I will play it until it tis verison is replaced, and then still go back. I always have. the fighting is amazing like I said.
Me too! That, Capcom VS SNK, and Marvel VS Capcom 2 were damn good reasons to pick up a Dreamcast, and those reasons are why I still own one and always will.

On topic, yeah I was thinking the same thing honestly. What if they just dropped the list price to $30 and gave the $30 season pass to all early adopters? I mean yeah it means a loss but it might actually save the game financially speaking due to the amount of good will that would generate. Then they could just make more DLC and hope for more money off of premium microtransactions and the like down the road. It won't happen, because Capcom, but I think it'd be a pretty smart move and it would go quite a ways towards restoring goodwill in the customer base that feels spurned by the release. It's an interesting idea to mull around for sure.

Shin-chan

It was £37 on release day. That isn't a a huge drop.

If you're shopping anywhere online and paying £50 for a game on release then you're not trying. Retail games go for £35-45 on release in the UK depending on the size of the brand. SF is the same price on Amazon now as it was on release. And this is the case for most retailers as well.

I know this because it was £42 when I ordered it and they refunded me the extra cash from the price differential between then and release.

Me too! That, Capcom VS SNK, and Marvel VS Capcom 2 were damn good reasons to pick up a Dreamcast, and those reasons are why I still own one and always will.

On topic, yeah I was thinking the same thing honestly. What if they just dropped the list price to $30 and gave the $30 season pass to all early adopters? I mean yeah it means a loss but it might actually save the game financially speaking due to the amount of good will that would generate. Then they could just make more DLC and hope for more money off of premium microtransactions and the like down the road. It won't happen, because Capcom, but I think it'd be a pretty smart move and it would go quite a ways towards restoring goodwill in the customer base that feels spurned by the release. It's an interesting idea to mull around for sure.

Bro Fist! I still have my dreamcast and every capcom release hnnng so good!

SF V will be fine in the long run, the fighting is too good.

It was £37 on release day. That isn't a a huge drop.

If you're shopping anywhere online and paying £50 for a game on release then you're not trying. Retail games go for £35-45 on release in the UK depending on the size of the brand. SF is the same price on Amazon now as it was on release. And this is the case for most retailers as well.

I know this because it was £42 when I ordered it and they refunded me the extra cash from the price differential between then and release.

£37 pounds on release day on amazon? no it wasnt I was checking all the way up until release. I was checking loads of places becuase i wanted it as cheap as possible (due to my knowledge of available modes and not agreeing with the pricing). I ended up going with the PC version at 20 odd pounds and don't regret it.

amazon it was £44.99 argos was £49.99 and dropped by £10 in 3 days after the backlash.

Vice

No fighters are still old hats. KOFXIII, Tekken 6, GG and BB have story modes and so did DOA5 and those still only get a million(in DOA5 case) at best. If MK is selling for the story mode only(which is why a lot of people did buy and trade in) that still says fighters are still very much not gonna have their glory days.
Tekken 6 sold over three million copies and out of those series it's the one most comparable to MK and SF. The games have substantial single player content and that likely helps. KoF, GG and BB all are much smaller, even at the genres height, than MK, Tekken or SF. Even the Soul Calibur series manages to hit the multi-million mark. Fighting games can move those type of units with the right inredients.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-08-06-tekken-6-breaks-million-marker
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-sales-are-a-million-less-than-soulcalibur-4s

poodaddy

Bro Fist! I still have my dreamcast and every capcom release hnnng so good!

SF V will be fine in the long run, the fighting is too good.

Oh and I forgot Soul Calibur and Street Fighter Alpha 3! Dude....The Dreamcast was just legendary for fighting games man. So many greats on there. Nice to see a fellow lover of the classics! :D

Now if only I was even a quarter as good at fighting games now as I was then, I'd be a happy camper lol.

CLEEK

This trailer you're talking about doesn't even show versus mode (which is in the game) and its main purpose was to show off new features (the trailer itself states this at the beginning) not all modes. And despite that, it doesn't explain what the structure of of story prologue was going to be. Hence, causing many people to believe that story prologue would be an arcade equivalent, and others who didn't assume that to think that Versus and Arcade modes were not in the trailer because they're standard modes.

Capcom never once mentioned the lack of an arcade mode or vs CPU. And their roadmap didn't indicate that arcade mode and vs ai would come down the line. Also, their in store demos for the game have traditional best of 3 matches against CPU (which is not in the final game).

Hence, Capcom was not clear about the lack of arcade and vs CPU. And folks talking about those two modes missing have a legitimate complaint.

You'd have a point if the trailer actually did show all the modes that were in the game at launch, but it didn't.1) The menus in a beta aren't necessarily what you'll see in the final game.
2) As far as I know, we didn't have access to the versus menu in the beta to find out that there wouldn't be a Versus CPU mode. I can't say for sure though because I gave up on the betas after the 2nd or 3rd one due to it being very unstable.
3) Story prologue was thought to be the replacement for arcade by many due to capcom being quiet about its structure.

I had followed nearly every bit of news regarding Street Fighter V short of getting my hands on a review copy or watching a stream from someone with the launch version of the game. Was still surprised at the lack of an arcade equivalent and vs cpu.

Capcom were shady as fuck about what Story mode actually was. At no point has anyone involved in SFV said there won't be an arcade mode. All the interviews before launch suggested story modes was arcade mode in another name. There was even an interview with Ono where he calls it arcade mode.

Combined with the review embargo lifting on launch day - always a shady practise - which often goes hand in hand with the publisher knowing reviews will hurt sales.

Oh and I forgot Soul Calibur and Street Fighter Alpha 3! Dude....The Dreamcast was just legendary for fighting games man. So many greats on there. Nice to see a fellow lover of the classics! :D

Now if only I was even a quarter as good at fighting games now as I was then, I'd be a happy camper lol.

haha I know your pain! alpha 3 is where I found my love for R mika and Karin! Oh man your gonna make me get the dreamcast out of the cupboard! in fact Im doing it! that's my weekend sorted lol

poodaddy

haha I know your pain! alpha 3 is where I found my love for R mika and Karin! Oh man your gonna make me get the dreamcast out of the cupboard! in fact Im doing it! that's my weekend sorted lol

lmao happy to be of help. Mine maintains a fairly consistent place right next to the PS3 under my TV, and I kinda feel like playing some Power Stone now so I might do the same. The Dreamcast lives on! .....
in us at least lol

You'd have a point if the trailer actually did show all the modes that were in the game at launch, but it didn't.1) The menus in a beta aren't necessarily what you'll see in the final game.
2) As far as I know, we didn't have access to the versus menu in the beta to find out that there wouldn't be a Versus CPU mode. I can't say for sure though because I gave up on the betas after the 2nd or 3rd one due to it being very unstable.
3) Story prologue was thought to be the replacement for arcade by many due to capcom being quiet about its structure.

I had followed nearly every bit of news regarding Street Fighter V short of getting my hands on a review copy or watching a stream from someone with the launch version of the game. Was still surprised at the lack of an arcade equivalent and vs cpu.

That's just splitting hairs. Combofiend and Ono were going to every major gaming news outlet... IGN, Gamespot, lots of foreign press and playing local VS. Capcom UK office was playing local vs for months with their Winner Stays On streams on CapcomFighters.

Not to mention a $500,000 Capcom Pro Tour announced before launch... and you want to say there was doubt about the game having a local VS mode? SERIOUSLY?!

And yes Versus was on the menu screen during the beta, same as shop, survival, etc- selecting it would give you a maintenance image.

If you followed any of the Street Fighter threads here on NeoGAF you also saw that I datamined the game, didn't find arcade mode or a last boss- even when the files were totally exposed with the DLC characters, etc... but then that's not something I expect from "casuals".

I'm not going to pretend I know what Capcom's reasoning was in how the game was released- but claiming they were deceptive and didn't advertise exactly what was in the launch version is preposterous.

No fighters are still old hats. KOFXIII, Tekken 6, GG and BB have story modes and so did DOA5 and those still only get a million(in DOA5 case) at best. If MK is selling for the story mode only(which is why a lot of people did buy and trade in) that still says fighters are still very much not gonna have their glory days.

We can all agree every developer wants their games to sell more units. We need to look at this statement. What games exist currently that sell like hotcakes, and what can fighting games do to be more like them and still maintain their core identity?

farisr

That's just splitting hairs. Combofiend and Ono were going to every major gaming news outlet... IGN, Gamespot, lots of foreign press and playing local VS. Capcom UK office was playing local vs for months with their Winner Stays On streams on CapcomFighters.
It's not splitting hairs when it's a fact. Go to the thread about the game modes trailer and you'd see that it was a common sentiment that people thought that either story prologue was arcade mode, or that it was missing just like versus from the trailer because it's a standard mode. It's funny how when you're factually proven wrong (about the trailer's purpose being to showcase all the modes in the game) you call it splitting hairs. Also, what makes things worse in regards to the trailer us that it went into details showing off the structure and what not for every mode in that trailer except story prologue, which it just glances over.
And yes Versus was on the menu screen during the beta, same as shop, survival, etc- selecting it would give you a maintenance image.
I never said it wasn't there, I said it wasn't selectable, and we weren't able to see what options (or lack of vs CPU) you had in those modes.
If you followed any of the Street Fighter threads here on NeoGAF you also saw that I datamined the game, didn't find arcade mode or a last boss- even when the files were totally exposed with the DLC characters, etc... but then that's not something I expect from "casuals"
I didn't see anyone datamining to find out that story prologue consisted of no difficulty options and 3-4 fights. And datamining should not be required to find out about what modes there are at launch. My whole point is CAPCOM failed at telling the consumers that there won't be an arcade mode equivalent and vs CPU in the game. You were saying they were clear and then go onto say "well I datamined this info" so it should've been known.

Your statement of, I can't see how anyone can be surprised unless they did zero research is proven incorrect by me and many other gaf posters who were following the game pretty closely (far more than the average consumer would) being surprised.
I'm not going to pretend I know what Capcom's reasoning was in how the game was released- but claiming they were deceptive and didn't advertise exactly what was in the launch version is preposterous.
They didn't advertise exactly what would be in the launch version as they didn't detail out story prologue properly, not to mention the in-store demos having a mode that is not in the actual game right now. That is a fact. And I never said they were being deceptive (as that word implies intent to mislead on purpose), I said they weren't clear (which they factually weren't, but wasn't necessarily on purpose). There's a difference. I consider it a fuckup by Capcom, and folks have a legitimate complaint because of that fuckup.

No... you're splitting hairs about the modes trailer not showing local VS when that was a feature widely showcased more than anything else...

I also datamined the info long before Capcom was ready to announce any of this stuff... the fact that you're acting like this was something recent... well....

farisr

No... you're splitting hairs about the modes trailer not showing local VS when that was a featured widely showcased more than anything else...
Again, it's not spliiting hairs. It's proving that the trailer was mainly focused on new features and people didn't take it as a "these are the only modes in the game at launch" trailer. The fact that versus was a known mode and didn't make it into the trailer is the whole point dude, do you not get that?
I also datamined the info long before Capcom was ready to announce any of this stuff... the fact that you're acting like this was something recent... well....
Where did I imply that the datamining stuff was recent? I'm saying that it should not even be a part of this as I was talking about CAPCOM's communication, And even then, did your datamining reveal the fight structure of story prologues?

vg260

Ew. I hope you don't mean Capcom should start releasing meager fighting game updates about once a year needing a brand new $60 disc purchase which continually dilute the player base because that is awful and needs to end.

The platform model is great for fighters. That wasn't the problem. It's arguably the most customer friendly if done right, but they just goofed with the initial price/content ratio. That's all. Either a lower priced launch or same price but a month or two later with the additional March content + arcade mode, and we're not having this conversion.

Where did I imply that the datamining stuff was recent?

"And datamining should not be required to find out about what modes there are at launch."

Obviously if you're basing your launch info off of a datamine from months ago... that would be equally as dumb as not doing your research. Also it was clear back then there was no final boss in the game, leading to early speculation there's no traditional arcade mode- which was backed up in further betas, etc.

... but I see this is just turning into a petty argument- which isn't my kind of thing. You're free to believe whatever you want.

farisr

"And datamining should not be required to find out about what modes there are at launch."

]Obviously if you're basing your launch info off of a datamine from months ago... that would be equally as dumb as not doing your research. Also it was clear back then there was no final boss in the game, leading to early speculation there's no traditional arcade mode- which was backed up in further betas, etc.
Way to twist words around. YOU were the one making the argument that you had datamined the game and anyone following the street fighter threads should've known there would be no arcade mode. I was making the argument that datamining should not be necessary and my argument has always been about Capcom's communication, datamining was brought up by you.

This sucks because we really won't know until July NPD if this thing worked out well. Meh, I'm going to remain optimistic though, game is too good not to have legs. It's like really really good, not just as a fan, but it feels almost Virtua fighter levels of balance, every character seems viable, and mind games and fundamentals are how you win, we are really going to see the pro players use their smarts and wits to take home the glory, not pre-canned setups that's hard to react to.

I can see each month having consistent sales and a bunch of people jumping back in during an update that appeals to them. The issue is just word of mouth and getting the message out. Big name streamers playing the game everyday certainly does help.

But yeah back to SFV!

OmniCloud in SF btw if anyone is up for some Matches. U.S east coast play at night....

e-gamer

Yeah this poster really gets it. I think Capcom could of had a much better launch with SFV if they just straight up aped KI's business model. I mean how well did KI do? I imagine it didn't sell a ton just because it was Xbone exclusive but I don't remember there being this much backlash for its launch so I assume it was relatively successful, or that it at least met their expectations.

I kindly agreed.

In fact I think the best way for Capcom would be make a version of SFIV with KI's business this gen AND make a new SF game only on next gen.

Synth

Let's not pretend that Dead or Alive 5 isn't the Sharknado of fighting game story modes though, lol.

Simply having any story mode of any kind is obviously not going to propel you to MK numbers.

Obviously if you're basing your launch info off of a datamine from months ago... that would be equally as dumb as not doing your research. Also it was clear back then there was no final boss in the game, leading to early speculation there's no traditional arcade mode- which was backed up in further betas, etc.

... but I see this is just turning into a petty argument- which isn't my kind of thing. You're free to believe whatever you want.

Speculation is what you do when something isn't clear. So you're not really helping your point here. Not having a boss doesn't really imply the lack of an arcade mode. KI2013 didn't have a boss in Season 1. Fulgore (a standard character) served that purpose, whilst Aria in Season 2 could be seen as a more traditional boss character (though still playable). In Street Fighter Alpha 2 the boss for each character was simply a rival fight against a character who's story related to them... which would work really well for a "story mode" (they don't even label it a prologue) in SFV. Plus, Bison is in... and he's served as the boss in numerous Street Fighter's, so he could just as easily been the boss to the "arcade" mode, until the story expansion introduced a new overaching enemy (much like how Gargos is likely to replace Aria as boss status in KI Season 3). All this also says nothing of non-selectable difficulty levels, or single round fights, of number of fights per character etc...

None of this shit was clear without the benefit of hindsight, and simply looking at the menu during the betas wouldn't tell you shit.

This sucks because we really won't know until July NPD if this thing worked out well. Meh, I'm going to remain optimistic though, game is too good not to have legs. It's like really really good, not just as a fan, but it feels almost Virtua fighter levels of balance, every character seems viable, and mind games and fundamentals are how you win, we are really going to see the pro players use their smarts and wits to take home the glory, not pre-canned setups that's hard to react to.

I'm optimistic for the game's future.. but let's be real here, "game is too good" has never really stopped anything from failing in the past. You are after all drawing comparisons to Virtua FIghter right now... and where's that series?

Zero-ELEC

Banned
except they made a video to make it clear

https://youtu.be/eZyqL2q0eg8

That video does not detail Story Prologues. It did not include all modes available. It does not include Versus mode and does not detail that it does not have CPU options.People were safe to assume that Versus mode was included, though, because every other Street Fighter (or fighting game for that matter) has it. In that same thought people should have been safe to assume Arcade mode was included. But they weren't. Because there wasn't any. And it wasn't clear because the video is bunk. It bills itself as new features as well, so Arcade and Versus modes not being included would not make anyone think that they weren't there.

This same video was brought up in this very page by you and you were shot down, c'mon.

KingBroly

Banned

Tons of great games with amazing gameplay fail. It's just how it is. Capcom made a poor business decision by releasing it the way it was, around their own Pro Tour, period. It affected everything else with the game, sales included. It really shows you much thought they didn't put into the trimmings of the game when they're asking players to record/upload footage of Rage Quitters because they didn't create a penalty for it when the game was in development.

Where it's at right now has to be well below their expectations. I'm skeptical it's going to reach 2 million copies sold. They might say they shipped 2 million copies, but you have to ask how long are those copies going to sit on store shelves. If Story Mode is disappointing (I'm guessing it will) it's only going to make it harder for them to reach the game's sales potential, and as of right now, it's looking pretty dim.

The DoA/KI way is the future for them.

Hopefully not. I don't mind free to play at all, but I do not want that to become the norm for future fighting games.

Fighting games can still garner respectable or even great sales with the proper ingredients and content, but imo the genre just doesn't appeal to the mainstream as much as they used to. I think the steep learning curve associated with most of them is one of the biggest contributing factors actually. Most casual gamers I know and see from my observation want to just get online and mash buttons to win without lengthy dedication and dozens of hours of grueling practice and that is totally fine because gamers are all different.

I just think games like SF5, DOA5 or Tekken Tag 2 are dedicated to a more hardcore or even niche fanbase generally. Honestly, what was the last fighting game that lit up the sales charts in any territory besides Smash or Mortal Kombat 10? Yeah, a few more single player modes and more fleshed out content would of probably been advantageous to SF5, but realistically I don't think it would of made a substantial difference in it's sales. DIdn't Battlefront, Destiny, Evolve(?) and Titanfall generate praiseworthy sales with their severe lack of content? Oh look.....all shooters....coincidence?

Hopefully, Capcom can turn this around because I think SF5 is fantastic even with its lack of single player content and it would be ashamed if it lose support earlier than scheduled. Honestly, the NPD's are so predictable and boring each month to the point where I will cheer a game like SF5 to make the top 10 even with it's lack of content just due to the blissful gameplay mechanics.

Synth

except they made a video to make it clear

https://youtu.be/eZyqL2q0eg8

You think I didn't already watch that video before making my post?

Look back on what I wrote, and then tell me how the linked video clears these things up. What does this video (specifically the bit about story mode) tell you about:

Boss character?
Number of fighs per character episode?
Number of rounds per fight?
Difficulty selection?

Basically what does this video do, to explain that the story mode isn't a suitable stand-in for a typical arcade mode? For a quick example... here is a wiki description for Tekken 5's story mode:

Story Mode: The player fights through 8 AI characters until they reach the 9th stage and fight Jinpachi Mishima. Along the way, the player will encounter one or two "sub-bosses", at stage 4, 7 and 8 (generally is Devil Jin) respectively, which are accompanied with cut-scenes. Not all characters have a second sub-boss, and will in those cases fight Devil Jin instead. Completing story mode unlocks the prologue and epilogue of the character played with, as well as another character. Devil Jin is an exception to this rule, as he is unlocked by playing 200 matches or completing the Devil Within-minigame. As an added bonus, the player receives 100,000G for Customization Mode, when completing story mode. However, this bonus can only be claimed once for each character.

How does your favourite video inform me not to expect something equivalent to this? Simple answer is that it doesn't, and combined with the lack of local versus, the video gives no reason to assume that the game would be so heavily lacking in offline vs CPU content.

Hopefully not. I don't mind free to play at all, but I do not want that to become the norm for future fighting games.

Fighting games can still garner respectable or even great sales with the proper ingredients and content, but imo the genre just doesn't appeal to the mainstream as much as they used to. I think the steep learning curve associated with most of them is one of the biggest contributing factors actually. Most casual gamers I know and see from my observation want to just get online and mash buttons to win without lengthy dedication and dozens of hours of grueling practice and that is totally fine because gamers are all different.

I just think games like SF5, DOA5 or Tekken Tag 2 are dedicated to a more hardcore or even niche fanbase generally. Honestly, what was the last fighting game that lit up the sales charts in any territory besides Smash or Mortal Kombat 10? Yeah, a few more single player modes and more fleshed out content would of probably been advantageous to SF5, but realistically I don't think it would of made a substantial difference in it's sales. DIdn't Battlefront, Destiny, Evolve(?) and Titanfall generate praiseworthy sales with their severe lack of content? Oh look.....all shooters....coincidence?

Hopefully, Capcom can turn this around because I think SF5 is fantastic even with its lack of single player content and it would be ashamed if it lose support earlier than scheduled. Honestly, the NPD's are so predictable and boring each month to the point where I will cheer a game like SF5 to make the top 10 even with it's lack of content just due to the blissful gameplay mechanics.

I can understand if you don't want more fighters following the Killer Instinct "season" model (although, SFV's already kinda doing that anyway, and it's definitely better than buying new editions of the same game)... but I can't really understand what issue you would take with the pricing models of Killer Instinct and Dead or Alive. In both cases you can simply buy an all-encompassing "bundle" that's basically the same as buying a standard fighting game at retail. The f2p aspects only provide additional options for those who may not for example require every character, and lowers the barrier of entry. Would SFV somehow be worse if one or two characters were free for anyone to use, rotating each week? How does requiring an all-or-nothing $60 purchase to play the game at all benefit over KI and DoA where you could still just pay $60 and get it all as well? Hell, in KI's case the game doesn't even let you screw yourself with the pricing. If you spend the same amount on individual character purchases, that you would have spent buying the bundle with all of them, then it'll simply give you the rest of them for free.

Crayon

I just don't want synth sitting at the top of the page alone with his double post.

On topic: the ki business model is good. I'd like to see sf5 transition to a free to play model sooner than later. Who knows what capcom has in mind this. They're a bit crazy.

Top Bottom