• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker: Not all tools available from the start, unlock over 9 days

makes sense as there will be some sort of progression in the game and you will have something to look forward to. also it would be overwhelming to have all the tools at once. 9 days isnt really that much too.

FyreWulff

I think the idea is that everyone will learn the pieces as they go and build content using them, so everyone just doesn't go straight for giant kuribo shoes. Level editors tend to work out better when you introduce parts of them in sequence than throw people in the deep end.

They probably did this versus you having to go unlock the pieces via the built in levels.

If it really bothers you, just set your Wii U a week ahead in time.

This isn't the first time this has been done, nor was that first time done by Nintendo. It's just a different method of gating content, like every video game, ever.

RobbieNick

Fuck off, Nintendo. I'll let my Wii U continue to collect dust instead and keep the money.

Dude, relax. It's 9 days and the whole point is to get you used to how everything works. As others have pointed out, Splatoon had a similar design feature.

It's still dumb, but I get why they are doing it.

I don't think it works that way.

I think the idea is that everyone will learn the pieces as they go and build content using them, so everyone just doesn't go straight for giant kuribo shoes. Level editors tend to work out better when you introduce parts of them in sequence than throw people in the deep end.

Why should we assume the number of stupid/poorly designed levels will be significantly decreased with a slow rollout?

Because

1. It had a robust single-player adventure mode that supported four players

2. You had a LOT more freedom to create things at all points in the game (like, I would say that a person can do some pretty damned complicated things with just the starting tools)

3. You unlocked things through play and skill, not waiting
what if you dont have play and skill and is just not good at games? what may take someone 2 days to beat could take another 30 days or more.

Do i think mario maker should lock things? no, but things based on a skill lock where i have to beat the single player is even more dumb to me because you really have no idea how long it could take. at least with mario maker, its going to be 9 days no matter what.

personally, i dont like when games lock things in where you either have to wait an amount of time, or have to beat a single player. I didn't want to ave to beat the single in call of duty world at war to get the zombie mode, but i had to(eventually they just updated where you dont have to). Games should be based on at least a tutorial level, not actually having to beat a mode and having to play a certain amount of matches.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Dude, relax. It's 9 days and the whole point is to get you used to how everything works. As others have pointed out, Splatoon had a similar design feature.

It's still dumb, but I get why they are doing it.

And I didn't buy Splatoon because of it either.

Nintendo needs to start accepting that somehow, against all odds, fully functioning adults like to play their games before I continue to support them.

what if you dont have play and skill and is just not good at games? what may take someone 2 days to beat could take another 30 days or more.

Do i think mario maker should lock things? no, but things based on a skill lock where i have to beat the single player is even more dumb to me because you really have no idea how long it could take. at least with mario maker, its going to be 9 days no matter what.

personally, i dont like when games lock things in where you either have to wait an amount of time, or have to beat a single player. I didn't want to ave to beat the single in call of duty world at war to get the zombie mode, but i had to(eventually they just updated where you dont have to). Games should be based on at least a tutorial level, not actually having to beat a mode and having to play a certain amount of matches.

LBP is super streamlined. You don't have lives, you have lots of checkpoints, the game is plenty forgiving, etc. The major point of LBP is pretty much "eh just have fun". You don't even need that much skill.

Kurtofan

your loss. keep up the good fight against (undetermined practice).

VnEK3otl.jpg

Doesn't seem that bad.

Edit: also can't people just change their time settings to unlock everything at once?

They probably did this versus you having to go unlock the pieces via the built in levels.

I don't see how it's any better than making you design and beat a level with the previous "tier" (the stuff you currently unlock each day) of assets. That lets you learn things at your own pace, and if you're a fast learner you can unlock everything in day.

Forcing everyone into the same unlock times regardless of how fast they learn is a very unsophisticated solution. They could've made a more dynamic unlock system that would've let people learn the game at their own pace instead of demanding everyone march to the same beat.

Laws00

Nintendo needs to start accepting that somehow, against all odds, fully functioning adults like to play their games before I continue to support them.

what feature did Splatoon do that you had to wait?

Murugo

If they want players to design with incremental complexity, then make tools unlockable through challenges, completing levels, etc. Time walls are just plain frustrating.

FyreWulff

Why should we assume the number of stupid/poorly designed levels will be significantly decreased with a slow rollout?

How do you expect people to make good courses when they aren't familiar with that game's engine quirks and gameplay?

Like I said, other editor centric games gate off level creation pieces to ensure players actually understand the game and base concepts before throwing them in the deep end and souring themselves on the game because they're using mechanics out of context.

They're not blocking off content you paid for, they're basically doing something like GT's license test to make sure you understood how a car worked before using it regularly, rather than taking the highest end car, crashing it into a wall, and going "THESE CONTROLS SUCK"

Do you also get mad when a game asks you to do certain things to unlock secret characters/stages/features?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
oh my fucking god this is the most ridiculous thing i've ever seen

this replaces the DLC/version spreadsheet at the top level of the bullshit o meter that game publishers push onto consumers

Day 1 is literally like an E3 2014 build of the game. Who the fuck wants to go back to that?
So locking out content because you didn't buy six different copies of the same game from different stores is not as bad as all content being in the game but you have to wait to unlock it? Wow.

I hope reviews crush them for doing this. This is a dumb practice that should be erradicated from the industry as soon as possible.
It's existed since games could keep track of the time.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Do you also get mad when a game asks you to do certain things to unlock secret characters/stages/features?

A game asking me to do something to access content is fine (though, to be honest, I never play any "progression" based multiplayer games and think that's awful design nearly every time), this isn't making you perform any task. "Wait" is not a task to complete, it doesn't make you show any skill or understanding. It's just making you wait.

FyreWulff

This is basically the same way Animal Crossing gated features as well. You were supposed to play a bit each day, and they would slowly unlock new features and townspeople as you went, instead of trying to cram everything into your brain at once.

Maybe people only notice gating when it's a bit more up front like this.

Resilient

This is a great idea for a level editor. Glad they're doing it so we don't end up with a million shitty levels in the first month.

Love it!

Kurtofan

A game asking me to do something to access content is fine (though, to be honest, I never play any "progression" based multiplayer games and think that's awful design nearly every time), this isn't making you perform any task. "Wait" is not a task to complete, it doesn't make you show any skill or understanding. It's just making you wait.

It's only a problem if you play non-stop.

This is basically the same way Animal Crossing gated features as well. You were supposed to play a bit each day, and they would slowly unlock new features and townspeople as you went, instead of trying to cram everything into your brain at once.

Maybe people only notice gating when it's a bit more up front like this.

Animal Crossing has always been about "playing a bit each day". Additional things happen on a day-to-day basis because the game's internal clock and keeping track of the day of the year along with daytime/nighttime/season and making events happen depending on what value all of these are is integral to making the world feel "lived-in" and alive on its own. Gameplay features are unlocked along this same scheme to make people come back a little bit each day to let people experience that world progression.

Mario Maker is a level editor.

Davey Cakes

I honestly think you're overreacting here.

These are fun games and Nintendo's approach to content hasn't made that negative of an impact. Splatoon in particular has actually been rewarding because you get to keep coming back to new content again and again.

Nintendo's decisions about trickling out content don't harm the games enough to warrant you not playing them, unless you never really wanted to play them that much in the first place.

That said, the better approach would have been to maybe lock content some other way. Like, once the person makes enough levels they unlock more options. That way you're getting acclimated purely by design rather than by some arbitrary amount of days.

Justified

Because the dissent here isnt that the content is being trickle out, or locked, its how its implemented.

Im sure 99% would be fine with a task-based, or skill-based unlock system.

An arbitrary time-based system makes know sense

This is a great idea for a level editor. Glad they're doing it so we don't end up with a million shitty levels in the first month.

Love it!

The system they are using wont stop that from happening, sooo.....

BearPawB

Banned
Tying this to time is silly. It should be for easy to obtain achievements.

Build a level: get set two.

Build a level with at least 5 combination elements: get set 3

I really don't get the point. You want to ease people in so they don't get overwhelmed? Then make it a bloody option. You could even build something of a tutorial around it.

Just don't punish the people who would be just fine if they were given the full toolset at the word go by forcing them to wait an arbitrary amount of time until they can do what they want.

I love Nintendo but lol how could anyone even defend this
I am pretty sure Nintendo could do anything and get a defense force.
Heck, people have defended NoA's buffoonery countless times.

Locking doors/p-switch/vines for Day 6 is plain stupid.

The only problem is that it's a bit forced when it's a time-based lock as opposed to a playtime-based lock.
Honestly I would prefer it if it unlocked content based on play-time. 1 hour per set would be fine.

Davey Cakes

I love Nintendo but lol how could anyone even defend this
Level editors sound REALLY fun on paper but can be daunting once you actually boot them up. You have all these ideas but just too many options.

This is the first level editor of this scale that Nintendo has made, right? They probably think their audience would appreciate a content trickle so that newcomers understand the base toolset before delving deeper. The only problem is that it's a bit forced when it's a time-based lock as opposed to a playtime-based lock.

I totally understand both sides of the argument here.

Undubbed

What's wrong with placing the option to unlock everything in the corner crevice of an option menu somewhere? It'd be completely out of the way and only the hardcore will care to find it or find out about it.

Top Bottom