• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Marvel vs Capcom: Hype Train to Comic Con; Now Boarding! Lupinko @ post 500+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Green Scar said:
Knowing Capcom they'd include shitty US boxart Mega Man over the real deal any day

"Oh, but those gaijin LURVE IT"
"We'll be on top page of Kotaku for weeks if we do this"
Problem:

That would be the best thing they could possibly do.

Slamtastic said:
Problem:

That would be the best thing they could possibly do.

I'd love it, definitely, but I can't help but feel that's all Capcom Japan thinks the West likes about Mega Man. Maybe I'm still annoyed about how shitty Mega Man Universe looked >_>

crimzonflame said:
Why does Marvel deny the use of certain characters? Serious question.

Simple. They know the value of a game like this now and have a vested interest in who developers use. Back in the day, they just signed off on whatever developer paid the most money and let them do what they wanted with some parameters to it (EG Spidey never kills, etc) so Capcom could get away with using crazy characters like Omega Red. Spiral and Shuma Gorath because Marvel really only cared about the check they were being cut. The thing was, that it lead to them getting requests to use the more obscure characters in stories. They had no clue why people suddenly wanted stories featuring a one shot Conan and Dr. Strange villain till they twigged it about the game.

Now Marvel has a video game division and know the influence of what characters that are used in video games. They are much more controlling over it because they know they can use it to push books and TV Shows. X-23 was a perfect example of this. They revealed her at TGS the same week her on-going was launched. The on-going became the top selling book that week. Luckily Marvel's producers understand games and gameplay itself and they have been totally accommodating to Capcom, even though Capcom had to fight for some characters (Phoenix comes to mind as one Niitsuma mentioned they had to fight for). But it's clear that Marvel has their priorities (Taskmaster and She-Hulk were Marvel requests, for example) and both companies work around it.

Keep this in mind with the clues. What people want might not totally line up with Marvel's vision for the game as well. So you have to think outside what you desire on top of what the clue seemingly points to.

Dahbomb

Yeah... people have to realize that there are multiple parties to cater to when it comes to character selection in MVC3. It's much bigger than just putting in characters off a forum poll.

1) Marvel's own interests. They wanna push a particular character for a certain new series that might be out (X-23). They have a vested interest in pushing certain characters over others.

2) Capcom's own interests. They want particular characters because the developers just like them (Shuma Gorath). They also may want to push a particular franchise like Asura's Wrath or Bionic Commando through MVC. Then of course they have to make sure that the character actually makes sense and has their own individuality. It's the main reason why characters like the Punisher aren't in the game because they are just "regular ass guys" yet Chris is.

3) Marvel comic fans. They have their favorites that they wanna see in the game... OLD (90s fan) and NEW (post 00) fans. This is what leads to Gambit/Venom vs Ms Marvel (or whoever is popular now). Then of course the characters who got really popular just because they were in the VS series.

4) Long-time Capcom/VS series fan. Those people who have bought like every version of SF and played all the VS games and all those other Capcom games. They have their own quirky favorites that they want in the game and they are a very vocal community. This includes all those Megaman fans, VS series fan, DMC fans (GUILTY AS CHARGED!) GnG fans, DS fans etc.

5) Mainsteam gamers. These guys kinda sort of like fighting games, have played a few Capcom games and that's about it. Capcom has to appeal to this crowd too and that's why they have immediately cool, recognizable characters like Wesker, Ryu and Dante in the game. This is also a major point when coming up with some characters and that is their appeal to a larger demographic.

6) Mainsteam movie-watcher crowd. Very casual gamers and non-comic fans who basically have their entire knowledge of Marvel comics from watching the movies. They have to be catered too that's why you have Captain America, Hulk, Thor, Iron Man etc.

So yeah... a lot of factors go into character selection. While it may appear easy to a regular forum user like me to put Vergil in the game, I have to realize that Vergil only appeals to a very small part of the pie (out of the 6 stuff I listed, only in one of them does Vergil fit in and that's the hardcore Capcom fan crowd).

There are exceptions of course, a lot of obscure characters have made it in thanks to either Marvel's own promotion strategy or Capcom's own choices to put variety into the game. But rest assured every character that was in MVC3 and SMVC3 was thought over LONG AND HARD.

deadmuffin said:
i hope when people are putting jubilee on their lists they mean old jubilee and not *sigh* vampire jubilee
Why can't we have both? Vampire Jubilee with old Jubilee powers. It's a video game after all with no canon relations whatsoever.

Hex

Banned
robot said:
I still think Hawkeye will make an appearance - w/ the movie next year it makes perfect sense.

He would be the same as Taskmaster as far as mechanics go for the most part

Also, I am really surprised that they have not put Blade into one of these yet.

Dahbomb

Cosmic power pretty much screams MARVEL to me. There shouldn't be too many cosmic characters in the Marvel universe (actually there are a lot but still it's a better pool to work with).

Sounds like Thanos to me.

Really thinking Silver Surfer, Quasar or Phyla Vell and maybe Thanos.

Cosmic powers could refer to several powers and Phyla is showing up in the Avengers cartoon and could come back to life.

Quasar is pretty awesome. The constructs and energy blasts.

But most of all Surfer since he has the most powers in the game.

I could be wrong and it end up being Ms. marvel but thinking it will most likely be Surfer due to how many powers he has.

Hex

Banned
crimsonspider89 said:
Really thinking Silver Surfer, Quasar or Phyla Vell and maybe Thanos.

Cosmic powers could refer to several powers and Phyla is showing up in the Avengers cartoon and could come back to life.

Quasar is pretty awesome. The constructs and energy blasts.

But most of all Surfer since he has the most powers in the game.

I could be wrong and it end up being Ms. marvel but thinking it will most likely be Surfer due to how many powers he has.

Part of me agrees that it feels like the Surfer, but the other side of me thinks it would be stupid because without his board he is Doral from Virtua Fighters with cosmic beams.

Yeah, what could be holding him back since his board is a hitbox nightmare.

REALLY big hitbox nightmare.

Means that the high low and left right unblockables would be much annoying to pull off plus he could ignore all low attacks.

He will be a nightmare with his board.

Dahbomb said:
Cosmic power pretty much screams MARVEL to me. There shouldn't be too many cosmic characters in the Marvel universe (actually there are a lot but still it's a better pool to work with).

Sounds like Thanos to me.
Ms. Marvel used to have Cosmic powers when she went by the name Binary if I remember correctly. She briefly regained her powers sometime around the dark avengers arc for a real short while.
Dirtbag said:
There is going to be at least 3-4 females out of the 12 new characters. Something to keep in mind when guessing.
I'm expecting at least five. Marvel needs at least three and Capcom can get away with two.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
who the hell is this guy?

http://twitter.com/#!/Capcom_Betrayer

says 12 characters,q4 2011 release along with Strange,Cyclops.Ms. Marvel,Red Arremer, Jubilee,Thanos,PW,FW, Strider.

Looks like just another attention seeker, disregarded immediately or what?

posted by someone at gamefaqs.

lol @ cheesy name

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Lucky Number Seven Force said:
Tokirisan was the guy posting fake stuff in Japanese on twitter, right?

Japanese polls, yes. Also he kept saying some characters would be in but he didn't know who Akuma was.

rukland

I still want my Omega Red back

Serious I miss him and while they are at it I want Dan too. Yeah I know Dan the joke character but I do more playing with friends in my house and we used to whip out Dan as a big old middle finger to someone we wanted to put in place. Nothing like the reverse raging demon to shut someone up.

h3ro

pieatorium said:
Definately Juggernaught! he gets his power from a gem that a cosmic god made no?

Wikipedia said:
When Cain Marko finds the Gem of the mystical entity Cyttorak, he is empowered with magical energies and transformed into an immortal avatar for the entity in question.[48] As the Juggernaut, Marko possesses superhuman strength, being capable of shattering mountains,[9] lifting and using buildings as weapons,[49] and extreme durability.[23]

HE'S COMING TO MAKE US ALL HIS HOOKERS NOW. COMIN' TO CLAIM HIS PRIZE.

pieatorium said:
Definately Juggernaught! he gets his power from a gem that a cosmic god made no?
I'd love for this to be a hint. Then the entire internet would experience the worst possible case of whiplash ever haha.

Dahbomb

lupinko said:
Remember to accept Jem as your gaming messiah gaf. #jemformvc3
Should we believe this HEATHEN or not Lupinko?
says 12 characters,q4 2011 release along with Strange,Cyclops.Ms. Marvel,Red Arremer, Jubilee,Thanos,PW,FW, Strider.

@GAF

BTW the Capcom to Marvel ratio is off in the rumor. I count 6 Marvel reps to only 4 Capcom reps.

Ms Marvel has cosmic powers? NICE! Although Thanos has the pedigree of actually being in a Marvel game. I can take both though.

Could all those Bishop hints and Cable de-confirms be about Cyclops? interesting.

h3ro

Toxicplatypus said:
anybody got that best friends akuma wolvie ms paint picture on hand?
hCuIV.jpg

Dahbomb

thanos6.jpg

Could that be where the GEM/JEM reference is taking us? The gems on the INFINITY GAUNTLET?

WHY DIDN'T I MAKE THE CONNECTION BEFORE???

THANOS FOR UMVC3!!!

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Dahbomb said:
Should we believe this HEATHEN or not Lupinko?

@GAF

BTW the Capcom to Marvel ratio is off in the rumor. I count 6 Marvel reps to only 4 Capcom reps.

Ms Marvel has cosmic powers? NICE! Although Thanos has the pedigree of actually being in a Marvel game. I can take both though.

Could all those Bishop hints and Cable de-confirms be about Cyclops? interesting.

I followed the gamefaqs. They said

Roll, Vergil, Frank West, Strider, Phoenix Wright, Red A.
Jubilee, Electra, Cyclops, Dr.Strange, Ms.Marvel, Thanos

Dahbomb

IntelliHeath said:

This is why we can't have nice things... :(

Also I call SUSPECT on this shit. Just because it has Vergil in it. :(

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Don't trust that rumor at all. Seems like the guy just took the last two pages of the current guesses and made a list with those. The roster will almost definitely be split 50-50 and he indeed messed that part up.

On another note, I very much doubt either Marvel or Capcom would be pushing for Hawkeye at this point.

Lothars

IntelliHeath said:

not a bad selection but I would rather have any Mega Man than Roll otherwise no complaints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom