• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Switch - Hype-thread and character speculation

NahaNago

Maybe they add a lego guy or minecraft to the roster. Something from Shin megami or Ace attorney would be nice. I honestly think they need to throw in some marvel characters into the mix.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Maybe they add a lego guy or minecraft to the roster. Something from Shin megami or Ace attorney would be nice. I honestly think they need to throw in some marvel characters into the mix.
smt_sj_8785.jpg

Last edited:

KevinKeene

Banned
I've finally put some thought into my ideal roster for Smash Switch. Let me preface this with saying: Yes, these might be a bit to many newcomers. I'm not necessarily expecting that many, but I've also heard insiders say 'they went all out this time', so ... maybe.

I actually followed a common theme when I created this roster, which I'd call 'Rise of the Villains' - or the Smash' franchises The Empire Strikes back, if you so will :p Here goes (explanations below):

Smash_Switch_Roster2.png

Tbh I'm not a fan of unkown niche characters just for the sake of a short-lived surprise, so I went with characters that I believe are popular/important enough to deserve a spot. I didn't change any Pokemon because I have no idea which one's currently popular. I guess Lucario/Greninja could share a spot, giving room to a gen 7-Pokemon.

For Fire Emblem I decided that Lucina and Roy would be alts of Marth - nobody gets cut :) For a new edition I chose Camilla. She seems to be very popular, checks the diversity box, and most importantly, she'd introduce a new fighting style: axe user. I also wanted a FE-villain, and I can't think of anyone else but the Black Knight. He's both classy and generic enough to work as a villain-representative for the entire series imo.

With Zelda, I know that Horror Kid is popular. Dark Link kinda needs hisbown spot now that Link is based on his BotW-design, which has no hat and a whole new fighting style. I also always wanted Ganon's true form playable - with strong rumors about Ridley finally making it, Ganon shouldn't be too big either.

Speaking of Ridley: Finally! To promote Prime 4 and a likely Trilogy remaster for Switch, Dark Samus is an easy addition, too.

Dixie Kong is a given imo. Just comolete the DK-franchise with K. Rool.

Completion is what Medusa is needed for the Kid Icarus-franchises. But Hades is just too fantastic, so add him, too. Depends on Nintendo's,plans for the franchise. Uprising was a success, right? A new game should be made.

Mario follows the villain-theme and adds Waluigi! Give us Toad, too, and the franchise is complete.

The second to last line is classic characters. Especially Bomberman should be a given. Rayman already had a trophy. And Banjo/Kazooie would be a nice wtf-addition that'd benefit both Nintendo and Microsoft.

The last line could be called 'more modern 3rd party characters'. Or really 'realistically shaped 3rd party-characters'. I thought about it and ... Travis,Touchdown has a real history on Nintendo consoles by now. His addition would also help his new upcoming game. Now, it might be jumping the shark, but I'll join some hyped smash-fans who agree: Son-Goku in Smash! He's in Nintendo system-games since the SNES-days. He's as iconic as Mickey Mouse. Xenoverse 2 is super successful on Switch and a FighterZ-port announcement is expected at E3. On top of that, canonically he'd fit right in: Goku's only drive in life is to bexome stronger and fight the strongest opponents. What better place to be than in the biggest mascot fighting game ever?! I'll say that I don't have much hope for him - but he wouldn't be as out of place as some want to make you believe.

With Xenoblade, Rex just neeeds to be in. Elma's addition probably depends on plans of a port of Xenoblade Chronicles X for Switch.

And that's that. Not many Smash-fans on Neogaf, I understood that much. But I wanted to share my roster idea anyway, if only to compare it to the real thing after E3 :) Comments and roster ideas of your own welcome!

Last edited:

Shouta

For characters outside of Nintendo owned franchises but were on Nintendo consoles at some point,, they are only really missing a representative from SNK's line-up. There were a bunch of their games on the SNES back in the day like Fatal Fury, Samurai Showdown, and World Heroes. If they were smart, they'd fill that one last hole with someone from like KOF. Kyo seems like the sensible choice since he's kind of their Mario now. I'd love to see a character from King of the Monsters but that's way too niche. Haohmaru would be sick if only to get a sword character that isn't from Fire Emblem.

Last edited:

T1184

Neo Member
I think when speculating characters people often forget about the most important qualification for entering a Smash game, which is being created by a Japanese developer.
I forgot where I saw it but Sakurai mentioned in some video leading up to Smash 4, how much he loved working on this game with all Japanese designed characters.
I have not seen a single Smash character who does not meet the Japanese criteria, which is why people like Shovel Knight, and Crash just won't ever make it in the game.

Hilarion

I couldn't see Banjo-Kazooie happening short of Microsoft going whole hog and putting a Rare Replay Switch Edition out. I think Banjo-Kazooie without that ends up being promotion for something solely on Microsoft's consoles. I think Nintendo would be open to having competitors' characters in Smash, but not competitor-exclusive ones.

Now, that said, Rare Replay is, like, 4 years old now, so a Switch version wouldn't really be cannibalizing any Microsoft sales. They could even make Rare Replay Switch Edition not have any Microsoft-exclusive titles and sub in the DKC trilogy and DK64, the GBA Banjo game, Diddy Kong Racing (hopefully not the DS version), and (why not, even though it's awful) Star Fox Adventures in their place.

Top Bottom