• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros X (Brawl) homepage countdowns, where everyone knows your name

Status
Not open for further replies.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
DeceitDecide said:
Yes, but think about it. Not everyone that owns a Wii owns a GC controller. As such, Nintendo pretty much has to make the game compatible with the Nunchuk+remote combo. Now, that doesn't mean the game has to use motion controls. In fact, I think a lot of people are betting the game will have totally traditional controls mapped to the Wiimote which would make the option of using the GC controller a possibility. I guess what I'm saying is don't expect gamecube controls to be the "default".

Yeah pretty much.

I also think people are overlooking the monumentous possibilities that could be had with the wiimote/nunchuck combo and the items. I'm already thinking about a Starfox-ship powerup that uses the pointer to blast your enemies FPS-style while the ship zooms from behind the player's back through the screen. That could be cool

PantherLotus said:
Yeah pretty much.

I also think people are overlooking the monumentous possibilities that could be had with the wiimote/nunchuck combo and the items. I'm already thinking about a Starfox-ship powerup that uses the pointer to blast your enemies FPS-style while the ship zooms from behind the player's back through the screen. That could be cool

I hear what you're saying. But, honestly, I don't really want motion controls in Smash Brothers. To me, that would take something away from a game that has heretofore been defined by its extremely tight controls and lightning-fast gameplay.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
DeceitDecide said:
I hear what you're saying. But, honestly, I don't really want motion controls in Smash Brothers. To me, that would take something away from a game that has heretofore been defined by its extremely tight controls and lightning-fast gameplay.

Just because it uses the wiimote doesn't mean it has to have motion controls. I was only talking about particular items.

Threi

notag
papercut said:
Sakurai isn't incompetent. If he puts motion controls in the game, you can bet your ass that they're gonna rock.

Just as long as i don't hear "Controls so easy your grandma could play em'!"

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
thefro said:
Could, not would. Expect a Wiimote + Nunchuck scheme as well (probably with Smashing = waggling).

Ew.

I think gamecube controller is more likely.

PantherLotus said:
Just because it uses the wiimote doesn't mean it has to have motion controls. I was only talking about particular items.

Heh... I know. The Wiimote/Nunchuk combo has more than enough buttons to facilitate Smash Bros. However, I'm just saying, I'm not sure I really want motion controls. I'm certainly going to keep an open mind about it though. For one thing, any kind of motion controls will rule out having an option to use the Gamecube controller.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I wouldn't be surprised if they managed to figure out how to fit the controls into the single wiimote on its side (paper mario style). They've stated time and time again that Brawl will have fairly traditional controls, and having each player buy a nunchuku to play the game seems like something that would damage accessibility to the game.

If it was held on its side, you could also have simple motion controls, such as shaking the controller as you hit an enemy to cause smashes, etc etc.

thetrin said:
I wouldn't be surprised if they managed to figure out how to fit the controls into the single wiimote on its side (paper mario style). They've stated time and time again that Brawl will have fairly traditional controls, and having each player buy a nunchuku to play the game seems like something that would damage accessibility to the game.

If it was held on its side, you could also have simple motion controls, such as shaking the controller as you hit an enemy to cause smashes, etc etc.

Not enough buttons. You need at least three buttons to do Smash Bros (attack, special moves, shield). With the Wii-mote on it's side, you only have 2 easily accessible buttons.

Snaku

Banned
DeceitDecide said:
Not enough buttons. You need at least three buttons to do Smash Bros (attack, special moves, shield). With the Wii-mote on it's side, you only have 2 easily accessible buttons.

1, 2, and B isn't three buttons?

Snaku

Banned
DeceitDecide said:
I said "easily accessible". Is B really easily accessible? Is there a reason, for example, the Super Paper Mario doesn't use the B button at all?

B is easily accessible when holding the controller sideways. As for SPM, maybe they didn't need it?

Or they could assign the block button to A.

Snaku said:
B is easily accessible when holding the controller sideways. As for SPM, maybe they didn't need it?

While I don't agree with what you're saying, I'll fight to the death for your right to say it :)

Seriously though, I just don't think it'd be comfortable to use the B button like that. Furthermore, even though it doesn't require it's own button, I think a lot of people would be up-in-arms over the lack of a separate jump button.

In response to your edit: if you assign Blocking to A, then players can't roll (which would require using the D-pad and A at the same time using your scheme).

Haly

thetrin said:

Doubtful since most Wii owners have a nun chuck for other games. And if they're seriously afraid of the nunchuk being an issue, then why not bundle one with each game?

And having it on its side would compensate its fluidity because d-pad simply doesn't cut it.

Monk

Banned
More likely that they will use

direction pad : normal meleee attacks(maybe they will allow us to charge moving smash attacks?)
A : Special attacks
B: Blocks and Throws

EDIT: no nunchuck use? Why not? It isnt as if you dont get one with the console itself.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I wouldn't mind motion controls if they were useful, but without a full design overhaul I don't think that will happen.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
DeceitDecide said:

+ for direction
A, 1, 2, B

waggle for certain special moves.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
PantherLotus said:
+ for direction
A, 1, 2, B

waggle for certain special moves.
and what about tilts? with the D-pad, you lose the ability to distinguish between tilts, running attacks, and smashes.

Haly

Jumping.

(Do you all use "up" on the stick to jump or something?)

@Gaimeguy: Combo breaker

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
GaimeGuy said:
and what about tilts? with the D-pad, you lose the ability to distinguish between tilts, running attacks, and smashes.

Double tap the direction, just like every other 2d game.
Smashes - direction + b trigger.

About waggle-
See: the thing is, with just a little waggle and a button press, the wiimote-only option has enough "buttons" to not only satisfy the hardcore, but also to really separate the men from the boys with its depth. This could be way cool. Way, way cool.

Haly

PantherLotus said:
Double tap the direction, just like every other 2d game.
Smashes - direction + b trigger.

About waggle-
See: the thing is, with just a little waggle and a button press, the wiimote-only option has enough "buttons" to not only satisfy the hardcore, but also to really separate the men from the boys with its depth. This could be way cool. Way, way cool.

But then we can't shake our controller in frustration for fear of accidentally taunting/jumping/what-have-you.

Or would that separate the men from the boys?

Haly

What's the current status of online support in SSBB?

Friend code, whatever, I need to be able to play online.

Halycon said:
What's the current status of online support in SSBB?

Friend code, whatever, I need to be able to play online.

Current status is no one knows. It is well documented that Iwata announced this game's existence (well before it was actually in development) for the express purpose of having it be the showcase for online gaming on the Wii. However, it is currently unknown whether or not the game actually supports online play. HOPEFULLY, we'll know for sure on Monday.

methodman

Banned
Now that the Wii has gotten so much attention, and is selling so ****ing well, there is no way that Nintendo is letting the Gamecube controller be the main one for this game. I don't see it happening. Wii controller + nunchuck ftw.

Anyone who thinks a +pad would work as a substitute for an analog stick in this game should be banned. Here's just ONE example: think of Fox's up+b, the firefox. That move can be aimed any way you want it-- a full 180 degrees. With a d-pad, you would lose a LOT of control. Suddenly, you would only be able to aim it in 8 directions. That's just one example. A lot of the Smash game relies on tight, fluid controls. A d-pad just wouldn't cut it.

methodman said:
Now that the Wii has gotten so much attention, and is selling so ****ing well, there is no way that Nintendo is letting the Gamecube controller be the main one for this game. I don't see it happening. Wii controller + nunchuck ftw.

<sigh> Of course the game is going to use the Wii controller and nunchuck. It has to. Every single Wii owner owns at least one 'chuck combo. Not every Wii owner owns a GC controller. Therefore, the game absolutely positively WILL support the Wiimote and nunchuck (or at least the Wiimote). The real question is whether or not the game will incorporate motion controls. If the game uses waggle, the the GC controller is out as an optional alternate control scheme. However, if the game simply uses the joystick and buttons provided by the Wiimote and nunchuck, then this would leave the Gamecube controller open as a possibility. I don't think anyone expects the game to just... not work... with the Wiimote. We were having a conversation before about just using the Wiimote by itself (turned on its side). This is another possibility, but I for one don't see it happening for a number of reasons divulged earlier in the thread.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
WastingPenguins said:
Anyone who thinks a +pad would work as a substitute for an analog stick in this game should be banned. Here's just ONE example: think of Fox's up+b, the firefox. That move can be aimed any way you want it-- a full 180 degrees. With a d-pad, you would lose a LOT of control. Suddenly, you would only be able to aim it in 8 directions. That's just one example. A lot of the Smash game relies on tight, fluid controls. A d-pad just wouldn't cut it.
Actually I'm pretty sure the firefox doesn't have full 3D movement. I think it has 16 possible directions, but it might actually be 32.

Haly

BrandNew said:
:lol whaaaat

Wii80 confirmed!

Nope, just not the same.

And I'm almost certain firefox is 16 directions.

laserbeam

Banned
some fun art from the E3 thread

1147330342356gp1.jpg

BrandNew said:
:lol whaaaat

Er... my bad. Make that 360 degrees!

EDIT: Okay, so I just did some testing, and it is indeed 16 directions. That's twice the freedom of movement offered by a d-pad!

But seriously, if you can't see why using a d-pad for this game would suck, you're crazy.

usea

WastingPenguins said:
But seriously, if you can't see why using a d-pad for this game would suck, you're crazy.
Agreed. The analog stick is the basis for the game's controls. The analog sensitivity is how you perform SMASH attacks, the game's namesake. Come on.

papercut said:
Sakurai isn't incompetent. If he puts motion controls in the game, you can bet your ass that they're gonna rock.

You try telling that to the thousands of tourney players out there. I'm sure they'll be thrilled that the way they've been playing for years will be replaced with the art of waggle.

Epiphyte

QuickKick89 said:
You try telling that to the thousands of tourney players out there. I'm sure they'll be thrilled that the way they've been playing for years will be replaced with the art of waggle.
Tourney players will have a ****ing fit if the SHFFL recovery is changed by .01 seconds. There is literally no change to the game mechanics that won't result in smashboards melting down, so I hardly think they should be used as a barometer for good/bad changes.

Firestorm

Epiphyte said:
Tourney players will have a ****ing fit if the SHFFL recovery is changed by .01 seconds. There is literally no change to the game mechanics that won't result in smashboards melting down, so I hardly think they should be used as a barometer for good/bad changes.

They changed L-Cancelling from 100% to 50% between SSB and SSBM. I don't think people would be that phazed by a change like that. Waggle does not belong in SSB except as a "Special Melee" mode.

Oh and I think they'll give the option of using WiiMote+Nunchuk but GCN controller will be the optimal way to play. GCN controller's always going to have the advantage of the C-Stick.

NotWii

Banned
Epiphyte said:
:lol So true

Tourney players are whiny bitches who don't know how to play the game properly. Instead they rely on exploiting glitches to win.

If tourney players made a SSB game, it'd have no items and FINAL DESTINATION as the only stage.

Firestorm

Wii said:
:lol So true

Tourney players are whiny bitches who don't know how to play the game properly. Instead they rely on exploiting glitches to win.

If tourney players made a SSB game, it'd have no items and FINAL DESTINATION as the only stage.

Ew FD only, what kind of shitty tournaments do you go to? And they're not exploits if they're programmed specifically into the game. What, is rolling an exploit too now?

PS: Hate to break it to you but Sakurai already said there'll be more tourney-style stages in Brawl than there were in Melee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom