• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT3| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
God's Beard said:
Bullshit, he's not C.Viper. The only hard things to do with Dudley are cRH x3 or Ducking Upper FADC cLP, and those aren't even things that improve his game. His lows are trash and he only has one poke. His resets get him killed and his crossup takes inhuman pixel measurement. He has three special moves that are broken and one more that sucks.

The only good things about Dudley are easy mode 450 damage combos that link off of anything, unique punishes, above average anti-airs and higher than normal health. He's gonna be bad ass in AE with a better sweep and RH as well as EX Ducking, but I still say he's trash.

Probably depends on what you define as "execution heavy". I can do his BnB but struggle with the more fancy stuff. Dudley is probably the wrong character for me but I don't care, too much fun to use.

Threi

notag
God's Beard said:
The only good things about Dudley are easy mode 450 damage combos that link off of anything, unique punishes, above average anti-airs and higher than normal health.
"only" good things? That seems like a hell of a lot in it's own.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
God's Beard said:
Bullshit, he's not C.Viper. The only hard things to do with Dudley are cRH x3 or Ducking Upper FADC cLP, and those aren't even things that improve his game. His lows are trash and he only has one poke. His resets get him killed and his crossup takes inhuman pixel measurement. He has three special moves that are broken and one more that sucks.

The only good things about Dudley are easy mode 450 damage combos that link off of anything, unique punishes, above average anti-airs and higher than normal health. He's gonna be bad ass in AE with a better sweep and RH as well as EX Ducking, but I still say he's trash.

I've seen some players dash into normals and use those frames of invincibility to look like you can dash for free.... that takes HUGE amounts of skill and timing, but it is doable. His pokes might be short, but with dash you can manage to do some extremely sick openings into huge amount on damage.

When played the way he is supposed to be played, it seems each normal you do against him is going to get punished hard. With duds its all about timing and when to dash and punish...dash is his bread and butter.

Sure corkscrews cross and back swing blow suck but he doesn't really need those to excel. I am no marn and yet I manage to kick some serious ass exclusively with duds. He is far from trash, if anything his ae changes might make him op...

Threi said:
"only" good things? That seems like a hell of a lot in it's own.

I think Dudley's main assets are having a sick 50/50 where both options lead to big damage, and being able to maintain frame advantage when he's in. His footsies are below average, and his anti-zoning options are quite limited. He has to put in some work to get his offense going but once he does it's really strong.

"unique punishes" and "above average anti-air" are just buzz words lol

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
FindMyFarms said:
I think Dudley's main assets are having a sick 50/50 where both options lead to big damage, and being able to maintain frame advantage when he's in. His footsies are below average, and his anti-zoning options are quite limited. He has to put in some work to get his offense going but once he does it's really strong.

Wish I could open with that overhead, always seem to miss the link after it...

I was at focus fire this weekend. Good venue, bad weather. It was like 20 inches of snow on fri. Probably part of the reason for the bad turnout.

Lost to marn as the first stream match in single tournament.

Then bodied by kurasa(i think thats how its spelled) using one of those no stick arcade panels with balrog.

Guilty is real good with makoto. If the buffs are true for ae she could do well.

Loved the astro city st setup. Hope this venue supplements/replaces mwc if they stop doing that. Midwest needs more events than one big one in chicago and seasons beatings.

Wiseblade

That Alioune video is SCARY. not only because of what he's doing, but because of who he's doing it to. I think I'm starting to understand why I was warned not to challenge him the other day...

Spiderjericho said:
Honestly, except for these combo videos and his reputation, do you think Justin wouldn't be able to shut him down, especially after what he did to Sako?

:lol

This actually came up during locals on Thursday, and the common sentiment was that Alioune would never get beat like that.

Dudley gameplan: Stand Fierce, dash forward, Stand Fierce, cMK, Stand Fierce, OS RHxxEX MGB, Stand Fierce, Stand Fierce, lvl 2 Focus

DarkoMaledictus said:
Wish I could open with that overhead, always seem to miss the link after it...

plink or double tap that RH. People always dp me when I use it, though.

FindMyFarms said:

unique punishes = EX MGB fullscreen backjump punishes
above average anti-airs = FP, MK and EX Jet Upper all rock

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
God's Beard said:
plink or double tap that RH. People always dp me when I use it, though.

Thats the problem, timing is tight, most of the time you get ultraed for free. You can try crouch jab into rh but even that is tight.

DarkoMaledictus said:
Thats the problem, timing is tight, most of the time you get ultraed for free. You can try crouch jab into rh but even that is tight.
Oh no not the link, I mean people dp the overhead. Same thing with short ducking resets, people see it.

Zapages

I totally forgot that this thread got moved to Community section. :)

I definitely need to into it more than before. lol

MIMIC

Banned
Resumed by C to Shining C quest yesterday. Got to C with Dudley. I attempted FP into machine gun blow way too often :lol

PhatSaqs

Banned
Cant wait to see how AE plays. Especially Guy. A 3 frame normal changes a lot for him in terms of pressure. Especially for run stop goodies. If they havent changed any properties on his close standing MP, things could be especially interesting... :)

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
PhatSaqs said:
Cant wait to see how AE plays. Especially Guy. A 3 frame normal changes a lot for him in terms of pressure. Especially for run stop goodies. If they havent changed any properties on his close standing MP, things could be especially interesting... :)
many new 3 framers in AE. Capcom just said "Fuck it"

hitsugi

Imm0rt4l said:
I'd love to see Justin play Alioune especially since Justin was talkin' pretty greasy at NEC.

Wong's really not the first. Referencing that "alioune exposed" vid..

Wiseblade said:
This actually came up during locals on Thursday, and the common sentiment was that Alioune would never get beat like that.

We can discount the matches between him and marlinpie, but I'm sure the common sentiment was that Sako would never get beat like that either D: so yeah.

cHaotix8

God's Beard said:

None of Dudley's Juggles are particularly easy, especially against Bison. Even marn drops them all the time. Then you also have to consider the fact that all of his links are one and two framers. Sure, his execution isn't the hardest, but it's definitely not the easiest either.

The best thing about AE is that you'll be able to combo into sweep for an untechable knockdown off of EX MGB (supposedly), a 7 frame stomach blow that has a better hitbox to play footsies with and RHxxlk duck being neutral instead of -3, giving him a legitimate mixup and actually allowing him to stay in more safely.

Dudley has lots of good options for resets, you just have to change it up and not use the same ones over and over (Unless they work).

cHaotix8 said:
None of Dudley's Juggles are particularly easy, especially against Bison. Even marn drops them all the time. Then you also have to consider the fact that all of his links are one and two framers. Sure, his execution isn't the hardest, but it's definitely not the easiest either.

Marn goes for maximum stun, though. I'm just saying that he's not execution-heavy in that his harder links are just better versions of things anybody can do, they don't significantly change his game plan like C.Viper or Ibuki.

cHaotix8 said:
RHxxlk duck being neutral instead of -3.

Isn't RH's frame disadvantage on block in this situation irrelevant because you're canceling into ducking?

cHaotix8

God's Beard said:
Marn goes for maximum stun, though. I'm just saying that he's not execution-heavy in that his harder links are just better versions of things anybody can do, they don't significantly change his game plan like C.Viper or Ibuki.

Thing is (juggle wise, not all his dumb scaled combos with a billion normals in them), the combos that Marn uses are pretty much BnB for Dudley. If you aren't opting for max damage/stun then you won't have much success with Dudley. But I get what you're saying about the Viper/Ibuki thing.

God's Beard said:
Isn't RH's frame disadvantage on block in this situation irrelevant because you're canceling into ducking?

It will have 3 more frames of block stun, which would be the same regardless of whether you canceled or not.

LNGUr.gif

fix this shit capcom, he's not Dhalsim

God's Beard said:

Dudley is not trash.

You need to stop making excuses and work on him and stop messing with different characters, its not trolling cuz there's no fundamental skills to back it up. You talking about how Dudley has easy mode combo this and that, but why won't you learn how to actually bait your opponent for you can actually land a combo. You always try to combo after a knockdown thinking you opponent is a training dummy that won't block!!

So far you're not improving at all....and I consider myself a garbage player.

shinshoryuken said:
Dudley is not trash.

You need to stop making excuses and work on him and stop messing with different characters, its not trolling cuz there's no fundamental skills to back it up. You talking about how Dudley has easy mode combo this and that, but why won't you learn how to actually bait your opponent for you can actually land a combo. You always try to combo after a knockdown thinking you opponent is a training dummy that won't block!!

So far you're not improving at all.

Ouch. I was going online to practice Dudley setups that I learned from a tutorial, too, since everyone says I attack too much. I joined because you invited me without doing any training that I was turning the game on for, but if you just wanna put me down that's cool.

Ask Vexco. I'm trying to be cognizant of my distances for different anti airs and I don't attack so much on knockdown. In fact, in about 20 matches I played against him yesterday as Dudley, 90% of my damage was from stand Fierce and general anti airs, and I only landed or even went for a couple combos the whole session. With Fei I focused on counter poking with rekkas and developing a proper mixup game. With Sagat I focused on staying solid and keeping him out. With Gen and Bison I focused on being more knowledgeable on my normals and maybe being safer.

And I do think Dudley's trash, but I use him more than any other character. I'm not making excuses. I've never blamed my losses on him being shit. I just miss short swing blow.

Morris

Disco Devil
FindMyFarms said:

Bu but you beat my Dudders like, for free :(

Dudley sucks but he's so cool anyway.

God's Beard said:
Ouch. I was going online to practice Dudley setups that I learned from a tutorial, too, since everyone says I attack too much. I joined because you invited me without doing any training that I was turning the game on for, but if you just wanna put me down that's cool.

Ask Vexco. I'm trying to be cognizant of my distances for different anti airs and I don't attack so much on knockdown. In fact, in about 20 matches I played against him yesterday as Dudley, 90% of my damage was from stand Fierce and general anti airs, and I only landed or even went for a couple combos the whole session. With Fei I focused on counter poking with rekkas and developing a proper mixup game. With Sagat I focused on staying solid and keeping him out. With Gen and Bison I focused on being more knowledgeable on my normals and maybe being safer.

And I do think Dudley's trash, but I use him more than any other character. I just miss short swing blow.

oops I wasn't trying to be too harsh. Just trying to give constructive criticism.
Why do you need to jump to different characters to learn the fundamentals?
Why wont you just stick to one character(Dudley) and learn his pokes, mixup, counters, blah blah.

See! Even Morro knows Dudley sucks! Even Marn!

shinshoryuken said:
oops I wasn't trying to be too harsh. Just trying to give constructive criticism.
Why do you need to jump to different characters to learn the fundamentals?
Why wont you just stick to one character(Dudley) and learn his pokes, mixup, counters, blah blah.

Why do you use every shoto and Guy?

• One, I like Dudley but he's not at the top of my character choices.
  • Two, other characters in SSF4 are really fun to play as well.
  • Three, some of the other characters I used before Dudley when I played Vanilla so I'm comfortable with them.
  • Four, it helps me learn matchups when I know what other characters have to deal with.
  • Five, Dudley is a deficient character and I'd have holes in my game if I only played him.(footsies, fireball game, crossup spacing, etc)

N4Us

MIMIC said:
Resumed by C to Shining C quest yesterday. Got to C with Dudley. I attempted FP into machine gun blow way too often :lol

Funny, I'm working on him right now. It's going pretty well but I screw up his combo links every now and then.

DR2K

Banned
Lost Fragment said:
MK has retail exclusive fatalities.

Never gonna bitch about Capcom's DLC shenanigans ever again :lol

You know it's going to give them ideas if it does well. :lol

h3ro

Retailer exclusive Ultras in AE.

If you buy at Gamestop, then all characters have 3 frame jabs. Amazon nets you 1 meter FADC.

cHaotix8

I think a lot of players call Dudley bad as a cop-out for when they lose. He's no Balrog or Akuma but he's definitely competitive. He just requires more effort to play at a higher level, the reward being pretty huge once you master him.
eff Honda!

h3ro

_dementia said:
False Roman Focus Cancel? Yes pls.

Seriously. Roman Cancels were such an elegant way of implementing the animation cancel. FADCing is the one thing I agree with Sirlin about when it came to IV. Too many got dam inputs.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Lost Fragment said:
MK has retail exclusive fatalities.

Never gonna bitch about Capcom's DLC shenanigans ever again :lol
you know as stupid as this is...

its NOT worst than paid DLC characters and pre-order/special edition exclusive characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom