• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SUPERHOT VR sales platform split really highlight how dominating Oculus Quest is over other VR headsets

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Superhot VR is selling more copies every year largely thanks to the Oculus Quest.

aCdBwXD.jpg

4iwfQx1.jpg

K2D

Banned
I would not read that much into this until the ecosystems have matured further.

I wish Playstation would just release the new motion controls early. I don't think I'd mind having a spare set..

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Not really a surprise considering it doesn't require extra hardware, wires, or the dinosaur display that ps4 vr has. 🤔

Not to mention the game is ancient and was purchased on all other platforms eons ago. Maybe we should compare it to Samsung phone vr sales too.......

Last edited:
Not really a surprise considering it doesn't require extra hardware, wires, or the dinosaur display that ps4 vr has. 🤔

Not to mention the game is ancient and was purchased on all other platforms eons ago. Maybe we should compare it to Samsung phone vr sales too.......
It's more than just Superhot.

Doesn't really say much other than that the Christmas sales spikes for Oculus are real, and are dramatically surpassing all previous sales numbers, including sales from the initial launch of their games.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

I think that’s what makes it interesting. Game is ancient and yet selling more every year, which means more and more people are getting into VR for the first time.

Game ain’t on Samsung phone VR, sorry

ZehDon

I would not read that much into this until the ecosystems have matured further.

I wish Playstation would just release the new motion controls early. I don't think I'd mind having a spare set..
Valve's Index has been on the market for three and a half years. PlayStation VR has been on the market for five and a half years. HTC Vive has been on sale for well over six years. At some point, I think its OK to read something into it :messenger_tears_of_joy: Oculus Quest 2 has been on sale for around two years, and as I posted in the Quest thread, it now dominates the PCVR space, blowing everything away with ease, according to Steam's hardware survey.
ekyACwZ.png

It's succeeding for a reason, and it's set the bar for consumer VR hardware.

As for SHVR, VR games can't rely on graphics alone to sell them - which has the side effect of making their visual styles almost timeless. If their gameplay is solid, there's no reason for them to age out at this point. There's a reason RE4 VR is the fastest selling VR game ever - the combination of "good enough" graphics with rock solid gameplay is clearly a good recipe for VR games with incredibly long tails.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Yet it's not enough for them to make more VR content. But, yes, evergreen casual best-for-first-timers & forgotten past that top sellers do well on the store with the smaller selection and no competition by flat games that people will opt to play if a VR title doesn't seem special enough to bother.

Like indie games early on did best on Switch but PC is still a mainstay market for them (and all games, that's why everything comes to PC now, Japanese games, timed console exclusives & first-party games). How about comparing a new popular/core VR game like people want after such intro apps like After the Fall? It's 50/50 between Quest and PC going by the amount of user reviews. There's even a very similar percentage of recommending vs panning on both (negative reviews on Steam vs 1-3 out of 5 on Quest, accepting some of the threes will be more positive and some less).

The percentage of user reviewers could vary but it indicates solid performance on PC, putting to rest PC VR/non stand alone VR is dead arguments by the amateur VR sites, influencers and media which seem to be Facebook shills slandering other platforms, not only by not covering titles until (if) they announce a Quest port but also constantly spewing the self fulfilling prophecy of how it's dead and everyone trashed their PC VR kits (Quests included) after making Alyx, Beat Saber, Boneworks, etc. the top VR sellers, rather than help elevate all of VR and cover all the great games & content no matter the platform so its users can know it exists and buy it, instead of play favorites, so that we can get the medium to a Wii/PS2-like 150 million user strong mainstream level instead of praise a single platform holder for a tiny fraction of that and shit on all the rest... /rant 🔥:lollipop_fire::messenger_fire:

Last edited:
I think that wireless solution is what people love. Still hoping Sony will offer at least some wireless adapter.
Sony is going after a different market - the higher end VR games. The price is the cord. But, it should be just one cord with the PSVR 2.0.

Who should release their own standalone VR headset similar to the Oculus Quest is Nintendo. Nintendo could do amazing things in VR, and a less powerful set, fully portable, would suit them well.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Unsurprising considering I picked up a new Quest 2 for £200 over Christmas. £200 for totally wire free, hardware free VR is pretty nuts.

Goalus

with proper specs, ps5 power and targeting aaa games (gt7 full vr support, rumored horizon) it will be much bigger than psvr1
PS5 will have a user base of roughly 25M by the end of this year.
Meta Quest will have roughly the same user base.
That means that every PS5 owner needs to buy a PSVR2 asap just to catch up to the Quest. It's doubtful that this will happen.

Last edited:
Xbox Series S was such a smart move.
After a die shrink that chip could be used in a standalone VR headset.
Ps5 and Series X are to big and power hungry.

Make it a wireless standalone, that can also be connected to PC or Series X for even better visuals. So cover both bases. Or maybe make a very cheap one using cloud streaming and just good displays.
There is no way Microsoft does not see the quest success and getting worried.

Won't come out before 2024, tho.

PSVR2 will come earlier.

sncvsrtoip

PS5 will have a user base of roughly 25M by the end of this year.
Meta Quest will have roughly the same user base.
That means that every PS5 owner needs to buy a PSVR2 asap just to catch to the Quest. It's doubtful that this will happen.
but ps5 will be alive around 2028 and in the end will have more than 100 milion base user

sncvsrtoip

And the PSVR sold like 2 million units to a user base of about 120 million. The PSVR2 isn’t suddenly going to sell 50+ million that the Quests will probably have sold by then.
psvr1 has too low resolution, lack of proper controls and ps4 was/is too weak for vr, all this was addressed and fixed with psvr2 and ps5

Alexios

psvr1 has too low resolution, lack of proper controls and ps4 was/is too weak for vr, all this was addressed and fixed with psvr2 and ps5
As if stand-alone VR didn't see EXPONENTIAL growth with every improvement, from mobile phone VR to Go to Quest and now Quest 2, nope, Quest 2 doing sort of well with all the Facebook money doing the heavy lifting in both the price/availability and the media attitude towards it is the first, lol.

Wireless will become a standard option for all platforms eventually, Facebook doesn't have exclusivity in Wi-Fi 6+ like they had exclusivity for the first Snapdragon XR2 batches stopping any potential competitors from even dreaming of competing on a technical level thanks to just that little fact...

Last edited:
Sony is going after a different market - the higher end VR games. The price is the cord. But, it should be just one cord with the PSVR 2.0.

Who should release their own standalone VR headset similar to the Oculus Quest is Nintendo. Nintendo could do amazing things in VR, and a less powerful set, fully portable, would suit them well.
But if i understood it right you can also use Quest wireless with your Pc to play something like Half-Life ALYX. Just hoping Sony may change their mind or offer at least an additional wireless set. Don't mind paying 100-150 bucks more for wireless.

Agreed. Nintendo would be perfect for a standalone Vr Set.

Last edited:

Vognerful

I am really close into buying oculus quest 2, but I heard amazing things about the next psvr2. Also, is there any chances that oculus quest 3 get announced this year?

I am really close into buying oculus quest 2, but I heard amazing things about the next psvr2. Also, is there any chances that oculus quest 3 get announced this year?
Always a chance.

There's talk of a Quest Pro or something with eye tracking and fov rendering. Who knows if they push it out or reconsider d/t chip shortage and Quest 2 momentum.

Alexios

Next is project Cambria or whatever which will be a sort of premium type model they tout as a 2nd pillar type of deal that according to FB/Carmack won't replace Quest 2 affording it a long life and I guess isn't likely to have far improved internals but add more high end features like eye tracking.

Last edited:

Three

And the PSVR sold like 2 million units to a user base of about 120 million. The PSVR2 isn’t suddenly going to sell 50+ million that the Quests will probably have sold by then.
PSVR had sold 5 Million units about 2 years ago. Where on earth are you getting 2M from? Also good luck selling 50+ million Quests. Very much doubt there would be 50+M Quest sales in a year or so.

GHG

Gold Member
Next is project Cambria or whatever which will be a sort of premium type model they tout as a 2nd pillar type of deal that according to FB/Carmack won't replace Quest 2 affording it a long life and I guess isn't likely to have far improved internals but add more high end features like eye tracking.

Based on the rumours they are aiming to launch it with some kind of improved control solution such as the gloves.

Kev Kev

just want to add that quest 2 requires a decent PC to get the most out of the experience. quest people always conveniently neglect to mention that.

question, with chip shortages being a thing, won't PC players have trouble getting the hardware they need just the same as PSVR users will have trouble finding a PS5???

EGcpsBZUwAA44mO.jpg

Vognerful

just want to add that quest 2 requires a decent PC to get the most out of the experience. quest people always conveniently neglect to mention that.

question, with chip shortages being a thing, won't PC players have trouble getting the hardware they need just the same as PSVR users will have trouble finding a PS5???

EGcpsBZUwAA44mO.jpg
What would psvr2 require if I want to use on PC? Did the psvr1 have good compatibility with PC in the first place?

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member

EGcpsBZUwAA44mO.jpg

The vast majority of quest 2 users use it standalone, hence the sales discrepancies between the quest and PC versions of the same VR games as discussed in the OP.

What would psvr2 require if I want to use on PC? Did the psvr1 had good compatibility with PC in the first place?

If the original PSVR is anything to go by you should not be buying a PSVR for PC use.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

The vast majority of quest 2 users use it standalone, hence the sales discrepancies between the quest and PC versions of the same VR games as discussed in the OP.
but you cant get the most out of it without a PC, correct? like you wont be able to play all the latest and greatest without a PC? ive never used a quest but ive always heard that

Alexios

but you cant get the most out of it without a PC, correct? like you wont be able to play all the latest and greatest without a PC? ive never used a quest but ive always heard that
Where have you even heard that, most places just shill stand alone Quest 2 to hell and back and trash everything else. It's a VR console, it is what it is, has its own games and unless you also think you don't get "the most" of games if you play on consoles instead of the PC version maxed it's fine.

There are a few exclusives on it even (and plenty of games that are on PC VR first/only since just like your other consoles Oculus is a closed ecosystem with limited in comparison releases so not every PC dev has the resources, or the will for it but again those aren't really talked about much) 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Where have you even heard that, most places just shill stand alone Quest 2 to hell and back and trash everything else. It's a VR console, it is what it is, has its own games and unless you also think you don't get "the most" of games if you play on consoles instead of the PC version maxed it's fine.
uh, everywhere lol? literally always heard the quest was limited without being powered by a PC; that the stand alone cant run everything without it.

its the reason i havent bought a quest. im not a PC person and im not looking to become one. otherwise i might have bought a quest instead

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
Valve's Index has been on the market for three and a half years. PlayStation VR has been on the market for five and a half years. HTC Vive has been on sale for well over six years. At some point, I think its OK to read something into it :messenger_tears_of_joy: Oculus Quest 2 has been on sale for around two years, and as I posted in the Quest thread, it now dominates the PCVR space, blowing everything away with ease, according to Steam's hardware survey.
ekyACwZ.png

It's succeeding for a reason, and it's set the bar for consumer VR hardware.

As for SHVR, VR games can't rely on graphics alone to sell them - which has the side effect of making their visual styles almost timeless. If their gameplay is solid, there's no reason for them to age out at this point. There's a reason RE4 VR is the fastest selling VR game ever - the combination of "good enough" graphics with rock solid gameplay is clearly a good recipe for VR games with incredibly long tails.
It's simply way cheaper than alternatives. Index is 999$, Quest 2 is 300$. WMR, Vive and Rift S are not sold anymore and there is basically no one else left on market.

Reactions: GHG

GHG

Gold Member

You will get a lot more out of it by pairing it with a strong gaming PC since you'll have access to all the PC VR games (steam and oculus' PC exclusives and a lot of mods) but there are more than enough standalone quest games available to keep most people occupied/satisfied. Personally I wouldn't be satisfied with it without having paired it with my PC but I know plenty of people who don't care to make that step.

You have to remember most people only play a handful of games a year max, most people sticking to 2-3 games for years on end (see the COD/FIFA/Fortnite crowd).

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
but ps5 will be alive around 2028 and in the end will have more than 100 milion base
That doesn't translate to customers. Highest gaming sold is spiderman on the ps4, and it didn't even hit 30m copies at 120m copies.

Plus quest 2 can be made faster than ps5, cheaper than ps5. And also, normal casuals non gamers can get in to quest 2, compared to ps5.

I expect quest 2 to hit higher, but that depends on how they handle it.

VR is fun technology, and it bends your reality. I expect casuals to buy it.

Kev Kev

but there are more than enough standalone quest games available to keep most people occupied/satisfied.
ok gotcha. fair enough.

does someone have a list of the stand alone games? i tried google but got a bunch of paid websites with just lists of good VR games.

kingfey

Banned

GHG

Gold Member
ok gotcha. fair enough.

does someone have a list of the stand alone games? i tried google but got a bunch of paid websites with just lists of good VR games.

And:

It's a no brainer. Standalone and cheaper than other high ends. How would anyone even consider another plattaform?

Yep, even if you are looking to buy a headset for PC VR games it doesn't even make much sense to buy anything else right now.

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

That doesn't translate to customers. Highest gaming sold is spiderman on the ps4, and it didn't even hit 30m copies at 120m copies.

Plus quest 2 can be made faster than ps5, cheaper than ps5. And also, normal casuals non gamers can get in to quest 2, compared to ps5.

I expect quest 2 to hit higher, but that depends on how they handle it.

VR is fun technology, and it bends your reality. I expect casuals to buy it.
imo quest 2 will be good for short aa games as it is now, proper aaa titles will be psvr2 strength

Kev Kev

And:

so no half life alyx without a PC. how many other big games on VR cant be run on quest without a PC? thats kind of my point. quest people forget to mention that part until someone comes in and mentions that.

look, im not saying the quest 2 isnt a great option for VR. if you dont already own a PS4, id say quest 2 is for sure your best option. but your not going to get the most out of the experience without that PC. and as far as i understand, if you want to get PC VR games like half life alyx to run, youll have tho be tethered by a wire, is that correct? legit question, i dont know

EGcpsBZUwAA44mO.jpg

given all that, i can see why someone might be willing to just wait and see psvr2 has to offer, especially if they already have a PS5. so when psvr2 comes out, i think we will se these numbers change. but by then other headset will be out, so who know.

honestly, this whole VR headset war is just as petty and pathetic as console wars imo. im just trying to get the facts straight and not let people conveniently leave out important ones.

"im just asking questions!!" ok thats the last time ill say that i promise :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Alexios Alexios how about you actually respond instead of just laughing reaction? its coming off a bit antagonistic

Last edited:
Top Bottom