• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SUPERHOT VR sales platform split really highlight how dominating Oculus Quest is over other VR headsets

Kev Kev

Not surprising.
It's cheap (for a VR headset), wireless, offers standalone functionality without the need of expensive additional hardware while still being able to connect to said additional hardware for enhanced performance and more games.

It's one of the best options on the market for a more casual audience that's interested in VR but doesn't own and doesn't want to buy a $1000+ PC on top of a $500 headset, and it's still a valid option for more core gamers that do own a gaming PC as it offers pretty good features for a rather affordable price.
quest 2 is smaller too, no? how comfortable is it compared to PSVR? i heard PSVR is the most comfortable at the moment, but i dont see how as its fucking massive lol

Three

Because Valve made exclusive AAA VR game, while Sony didn't. psvr vr games are only existing games. because there isn't a game like half lyfe Alex.

again, xbox user base is much bigger. The only reason you consider them small is the xbox one debacle. And again, MS has money. Small users won't be an issue for them. They are doing cloud gaming for their console. That much bigger money, than a VR device. They have the games to support it. They just don't want VR. Spencer himself said it.

If they care about growing their userbase like you said it, they wouldn't put their games on PC. Especially with them buying bethesda. That is not behaviour of someone trying to increase their user base. We are getting out of topic with this one, so let's end it here.

The PSVR is on Playstation. Again, Playstation has those games. 3rd party companies, want to jump on VR trend. Which is why psvr has alot of support.

Just like how Xcloud has more games, than stadia and GeForce.

Quest 2 on other hand is a stand alone device. It doesn't have a store, unlike steam index, hive, which depend on steam games. So they have less support. They need to make deals with 3rd party companies, to port their games in to their device. Its like stadia.
Oculus has its own store. Nobody mentioned VR exclusives though even though Sony made high budget VR exclusives. More than other platform holders like Valve even. Astrobot, blood and truth, Iron man, Rigs VR, Until Dawn: Rush of blood, Firewall: Zero Hour, Wipeout, as well as existing games like Dreams, Driveclub, GT etc.

The small install base is an issue for them. If PSVR sold 5+ Mil to 120M potential customers what do you think XBVR will sell to 50M? Releasing things on PC is MS trying to increase game sales due to small xbox install base. It's them trying to increase the install base of their games. Selling 50,000 copies of a 'AAA' VR game, to an install base of less than <1M XBVR owners isn't going to make financial sense no matter how much money you think MS like to burn.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Oculus has its own store. Sony made high budget VR exclusives. More than other platform holders like Valve even. Astrobot, blood and truth, Iron man, Rigs VR, Until Dawn: Rush of blood, Wipeout, as well as Driveclub, GT etc.

The small install base is an issue for them. If PSVR sold 5+ Mil to 120M potential customers what do you think XBVR will sell to 50M? Releasing things on PC is MS trying to increase game sales due to small xbox install base. Selling 50,000 copies of a 'AAA' VR game, to an install base of less than 1M XBVR owners isn't going to make financial sense no matter how much money you think MS like to burn.
i know they went a different route, but MS not doing a VR headset made me kinda sad. i was so looking forward to halo VR, but not it looks like we will never get it, or its a long way off. grapple hooking around halo infinite in VR would be the funnest shit ever (just controller for me, im not a fan of the wands or motion controls so far).

Unknown?

I think that’s what makes it interesting. Game is ancient and yet selling more every year, which means more and more people are getting into VR for the first time.

Game ain’t on Samsung phone VR, sorry
Yes and why PSVR is falling behind. Haven't seen one in stores for a long time. Probably not PS5 levels of scarcity but it is bad just like PS4 since they are focusing solely on PS5.

kingfey

Banned
Oculus has its own store. Sony made high budget VR exclusives. More than other platform holders like Valve even. Astrobot, blood and truth, Iron man, Rigs VR, Until Dawn: Rush of blood, Wipeout, as well as Driveclub, GT etc.

The small install base is an issue for them. If PSVR sold 5+ Mil to 120M what do you think XBVR will sell to 50M?
Name one game, that has the quality like half lyfe Alex which Playstation made?

Xbox has doom, Flight Simulator, halo, gears of war, skyrim, fall out. All top VR potential games. Halo and flight simulator alone could net them 5m users. It's the perfect platform for VR games. Another advantage for xbox, is the pc store.

Now to the actual topic. The big games you listed are all ps4 games. Drive club, GT. While Astrobot is ps5 game.

Like I said before, it's easy to make VR mode, but it's expensive to make AAA exclusive VR game.

Estimate for half lyfe Alex is between $30m to $79m. You won't get that from 5m users. Especially with ps4 game sale ratio being 1/5.5.

kingfey

Banned
Yes and why PSVR is falling behind. Haven't seen one in stores for a long time. Probably not PS5 levels of scarcity but it is bad just like PS4 since they are focusing solely on PS5.
I hope they don't go to psnow/psvita route.
These devices have potential. Just like how MS is banking on xcloud, despite its early stage.

Last edited:

Three

i know they went a different route, but MS not doing a VR headset made me kinda sad. i was so looking forward to halo VR, but not it looks like we will never get it, or its a long way off. grapple hooking around halo infinite in VR would be the funnest shit ever (just controller for me, im not a fan of the wands or motion controls so far).
There still might be hope. 343 hired a VR mod maker in the summer. There are VR mods now on PC I think too.

Lognor

Banned
Damn. They really stole that market share from Sony. Sony needs to release the PSVR2 asap and make it affordable and compatible with the PS4

Kev Kev

There still might be hope. 343 hired a VR mod maker in the summer. There are VR mods now on PC I think too.

endgame-avengers.gif

for real tho i would be so stoked. im not a fan boy for any brand or console or PC or headset, etc., but something just tells me MS would kill it in the VR sector.

Damn. They really stole that market share from Sony. Sony needs to release the PSVR2 asap and make it affordable and compatible with the PS4

bro this would make me so happy. but i wouldnt hold my breath. by the time PSVR2 releases, i imagine they will have the PS5 shortages figured out. not to mention, im not sure what kind of black magic it would take to get the PSVR2 to run on a PS4, but it seems like itd be a whole ass thing that couldnt just be done with some copy and paste.

but i hope it happens! otherwise, its looking more and more like ill have to at least check out what oculus and the quest have to offer before buying a PSVR2 and PS5 at the price of an arm and a leg.

Last edited:

Three

Name one game, that has the quality like half lyfe Alex which Playstation made?

Xbox has doom, Flight Simulator, halo, gears of war, skyrim, fall out. All top VR potential games. Halo and flight simulator alone could net them 5m users. It's the perfect platform for VR games. Another advantage for xbox, is the pc store.

Now to the actual topic. The big games you listed are all ps4 games. Drive club, GT. While Astrobot is ps5 game.

Like I said before, it's easy to make VR mode, but it's expensive to make AAA exclusive VR game.

Estimate for half lyfe Alex is between $30m to $79m. You won't get that from 5m users. Especially with ps4 game sale ratio being 1/5.5.
Blood and truth is high quality as is Astrobot.

I mean no shit the games I listed are PS4 games. PSVR is a PS4 peripheral. Astro Bot Rescue Mission is a PS4 VR game too. The PS5 Astrobot game isn't VR dude. PSVR2 isn’t out on the PS5 so why would I be listing PS5 VR games??

What's this nonsense about 'potential' VR games? Are you living in la la land 😄?

Last edited:

Kev Kev

I mean no shit the games I listed are PS4 games. PSVR is a PS4 peripheral. Astro Bot Rescue Mission is a PS4 VR game too. The PS5 Astrobot game isn't VR dude. PSVR2 isn’t out on the PS5 so why would I be listing PS5 VR games??

What's this nonsense about 'potential' VR games? Are you living in la la land 😄?
put that dude on ignore lol. he made my shit list months ago. dude is straight trollin most the time.

i recently decided its just not worth it and started loading up the ignore list. previously i was "too cool" to do that but to hell with it now. GAF is getting bigger everyday and trolls like kingfey (although he sometimes makes okay posts), just arent worth it to fuck with.

i mean, hes spammed 3k posts in like 6 months. thats half the posts ive made in the last 10 years lol. and jus look at that avatar :messenger_tears_of_joy: dude is straight trollolololin up in here

kingfey

Banned

I mean no shit the games I listed are PS4 games. PSVR is a PS4 peripheral. Astro Bot Rescue Mission is a PS4 game too. The PS5 Astrobot game isn't VR dude.
PSVR2 isn’t out on the PS5 so why would I be listing PS5 VR games??
I mistook Astrobot to the ps5 version.

vs

They arent even close.

Well excuse me, for listing the top VR games, which people want from MS.

This doom, which MS owns it.

You know skyrim VR.

That is flight simulator VR.

These arent on xbox. Now use your imagination, what happens when MS backs VR, and allows Xbox to have VR.

Lognor

Banned
endgame-avengers.gif

for real tho i would be so stoked. im not a fan boy for any brand or console or PC or headset, etc., but something just tells me MS would kill it in the VR industry.

bro this would make me so happy. but i wouldnt hold my breath. by the time PSVR2 releases, i imagine they will have the PS5 shortages figured out. not to mention, im not sure what kind of black magic it would take to get the PSVR2 to run on a PS4, but it seems like itd be a whole ass thing that couldnt just be done with some copy and paste.

but i hope it happens! otherwise, its looking more and more like ill have to at least check out what oculus and the quest have to offer before buying a PSVR2 and PS5 at the price of an arm and a leg.
Isn't the rumor that the PSVR2 will be out in 2022? And there is no way the console shortage is over by this year. Going PS5 only would make it future proof, but if they do release it in the next 12 months I don't think they would do that, as has been seen with all their cross gen games they've released. They don't want to leave that market behind when they don't have the supply of PS5s at the moment.

Three

I mistook Astrobot to the ps5 version.

vs

They arent even close.

Well excuse me, for listing the top VR games, which people want from MS.

This doom, which MS owns it.

You know skyrim VR.

That is flight simulator VR.

These arent on xbox. Now use your imagination, what happens when MS backs VR, and allows Xbox to have VR.

Aren't even close in what? Graphics? One's on PC and one's on a PS4. Again no shit. Are you telling me that's not a good quality PSVR game though?
What do you think XBVR games would look like on an XB1 or Series S compared to PC or PS5?

It would be interesting to see actually play time numbers. Superhot was the first game i bought on quest 1, spent an hour with it and haven't touched it since. Think I have about 5 hours total on the quest. Wish I sold it when I had the chance.

reksveks

People thinking that PSVR2 will compete with quest 2 or 3 for the mainstream audience are ignoring those audiences care about price and convenience over all else.

The PSVR2 will compete against the set of headsets that require another computing device and that's fine.

It would be interesting to see actually play time numbers. Superhot was the first game i bought on quest 1, spent an hour with it and haven't touched it since. Think I have about 5 hours total on the quest. Wish I sold it when I had the chance.
I think it's probably not too bad cause there is other apps like supernatural that probably really will rack up the hours.

kingfey

Banned
Aren't even close in what? Graphics? One's on PC and one's on a PS4. Again no shit. Are you telling me that's not a good quality PSVR game though?
What do you think XBVR games would look like on an XB1 or Series S compared to PC or PS5?
Ps4 has the last of us 2, RD2, GOT, and horizon zero down. If it's capable of that graphic, I expect ps4 VR to have that graphic.

Its why I brought up the budget problem.

Making a game look like those games, will cost alot. And 5m users won't convince Sony to spend that much money.
That is my point.

uh, everywhere lol? literally always heard the quest was limited without being powered by a PC; that the stand alone cant run everything without it.

its the reason i havent bought a quest. im not a PC person and im not looking to become one. otherwise i might have bought a quest instead

The quest was always designed as a standalone VR headset without the need for a PC . It wasn't very long ago that they added the feature to connect to your PC and allow you to play your PC VR game... To say that you need to a PC to get the most out of it is a bit dishonest, considering its main feature is to be used without a PC.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
i mean, hes spammed 3k posts in like 6 months. thats half the posts ive made in the last 10 years lol. and jus look at that avatar :messenger_tears_of_joy: dude is straight trollolololin up in here
Unlike you, I participate in this forum, and talk to people. If that is you insult to me, good luck ignoring me.

And great job insulting my profile picture. Honestly, it's good thing, I don't have to talk to you, since you are ignoring me.

kingfey

Banned
The quest was always designed as a standalone VR headset without the need for a P . It wasn't very long ago that they added the feature to connect to your PC and allow you to play your PC VR game... To say that you need to a PC to get the most out of it is a bit dishonest, considering its main feature is to be used without a PC.
He has no interest in PC, so he has no clue about these stuff.

Three

Ps4 has the last of us 2, RD2, GOT, and horizon zero down. If it's capable of that graphic, I expect ps4 VR to have that graphic.

Its why I brought up the budget problem.

Making a game look like those games, will cost alot. And 5m users won't convince Sony to spend that much money.
That is my point.
Did you know you have to render two viewports and low framerate or resolution isn't a good idea in VR? You clearly don't understand VR if you think you're going to get the same PS4 RDR2 graphics on PS4 RDR2 VR.

Kev Kev

The quest was always designed as a standalone VR headset without the need for a P . It wasn't very long ago that they added the feature to connect to your PC and allow you to play your PC VR game... To say that you need to a PC to get the most out of it is a bit dishonest, considering its main feature is to be used without a PC.
It depends on the games you want to play. You want Skyrim, Half Life: Alyx or No Man Sky? You’ll need a PC. If you Want Superhot, VR Chat or RE4, no PC necessary.

And I think that is a distinction worth making when you’re comparing headsets or if you make a thread title that claims one headset is “dominating” over the others. I honestly think the thread title is just fanning the flames and really unnecessary for this discussion, but we’re here now so…

On the other hand, with PSVR you have zero options for RE4 or Half Life: Alyx, so that alone makes the Quest 2 more appealing for people who want to play those games. And on you the other other hand, I personally wanted to play Skyrim VR and NMS, but I don’t have a a PC, so PSVR was the choice for me. And on the other other other hand, for some people the wire is a no go, which is a whole other component to add in when considering buying a headset. It just depends what you want out of your VR headset. See what I’m saying?

That being said I was a little less informed when I made that post your quoting, and some helpful users have cleared a few things up for me ITT. So I think I understand why the Quest is so popular right now better than I did before. I’ll give it a look see before I decide to buy another VR headset for sure! But I will absolutely be considering the factors I’m talking about here.

kingfey

Banned
Did you know you have to render two viewports and low framerate or resolution isn't a good idea in VR? You clearly don't understand VR if you think you're going to get the same PS4 RDR2 graphics on PS4 RDR2 VR.
You wont get the same as those graphics.
But what you will get is the same quality as half life alyx to some extent.
I mean, Sony knows how to get the best out of the ps4, and have the best team for the console.

Unless ps4 has issues, which VR can't harness it.

Ps5 should give us those qualities, considering how powerful the console.

The problem would be, Is Sony willing to invest time and money delivering those games?

They can make A-AA games. AAA is what I am concerned. Since those games will grab hardcore gamers attention.

kingfey

Banned
And I think that is a distinction worth making when you’re comparing headsets or if you make a thread title that claims one headset is “dominating” over the others. I honestly think the thread title is just fanning the flames and really
You are the one that is bringing that.

Everyone knows you need PC for that. It's just that, Quest 2 is more attractive, which is the main point of this post. 10m in 1 year is good result.

Three

You wont get the same as those graphics.
But what you will get is the same quality as half life alyx to some extent.
I mean, Sony knows how to get the best out of the ps4, and have the best team for the console.

Unless ps4 has issues, which VR can't harness it.

Ps5 should give us those qualities, considering how powerful the console.

The problem would be, Is Sony willing to invest time and money delivering those games?

They can make A-AA games. AAA is what I am concerned. Since those games will grab hardcore gamers attention.
No mate you're irrational. Blood and Truth is a 60fps game it has to be because it's a VR game. Last of Us 2, Horizon Zero Dawn and RDR2 are 30fps on a PS4 and only render one viewport. Blood and Truths graphics are great for a VR game. If valve made HL:Alyx for the PS4 PSVR it would look much worse than its PC counterpart and probably not better than Blood and Truth.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Super hot is one of those games that absolutely must be played with VR. Since the quest 2 is the dominant VR platform, that makes sense. Hopefully Valve comes back with a wireless model to get that market back. Facebook is no good.

Edit: weren't people saying earlier this year that VR is dead?

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Oculus is gonna dominate this market for the foreseeable future. It’s such a great product. I wasn’t sold it on it until I tried it and then immediately bought one. I have friends at work who don’t play videogames at all that bought one.

Shit, at one point last year when I came back to work after a long period at home, there were dozens of peoples on Quest 2 in a very small company that I never thought would buy one. It’s somehow mainstream.

The R&D they are putting on VR will make any future iterations unbeatable.

We also didn’t talk about quality of life that the Quest 2 provides. The guardian system is a system seller by itself. Making a couch where your real life couch is in real life to appear in VR, Bluetooth keyboards that can be shown in VR, hand tracking, pass through cameras, no motion capture towers.

Then add future features in R&D like oculus’ focus tech with dome 3, AI rendering with foveated eye tracking, internal cameras to capture your facial expressions with amazing accuracy, hell you’ll even be able to make an avatar that has the same face as you do.

Helps to have Michael Abrash & John Carmack in your R&D team with a near infinite budget.

Also, speaking of « AAA » experiences, Facebook made the amazing Lone Echo 1 & 2, Asgard’s Wrath, Lies Beneath and RE4. On top of must have exclusives like The Climb 1&2. We’re so far off the « VR demos » of the past, Facebook went full in on VR and their games are must haves.

Last edited:

Majukun

I mean,it's the most affordable headset while still maintaining a good amount of quality compared to the rest of the headsets (there are probably some that do some things better, but cost at least twice the same amount)

I brought my oculus 2 back home during the holidays and it had a pretty decent success with the rest of my family, my sister is seriously thinking about buying one as a workout device.

lso doesn't help that the treally cutting edge devices that would make a big difference in experience are sold for outrageous prices atm.

A lot of time will pass until we will either get something as good as he oculus at the same or lower price from someone else, or something so much better that doesn't cost like a small car.

kingfey

Banned
No mate you're irrational. Blood and Truth is a 60fps game it has to be because it's a VR game. Last of Us 2, Horizon Zero Dawn and RDR2 are 30fps on a PS4 and only render one viewport. Blood and Truths graphics are great for a VR game. If valve made HL:Alyx for the PS4 PSVR it would look much worse than its PC counterpart and probably not better than Blood and Truth.
Its my loss then. I guess there are alot of things I need to learn.

Question. Do you think Sony can do half life alyx like game?

isoRhythm

Banned
quest 2 is smaller too, no? how comfortable is it compared to PSVR? i heard PSVR is the most comfortable at the moment, but i dont see how as its fucking massive lol
Quest 2 is far more comfortable (although not as premium feeling) as Quest 1. PSVR is still more comfortable but the Quest 2 does weigh less it feels.

Last edited:

Rivet

Well it's an end of life product so of course it won't be sold now, PSVR2 is about to be released... Like Quest 1 when Quest 2 released.

Still sold more than 5 million (Jan 2020 total), that's pretty good (second place after Quest 2 iirc).

PSVR1 was a great headset. More comfortable than Quest 2. But the wires and the lack of precise controls were its limits. Both will be improved in PSVR2.

Last edited:

lukilladog

This is actually bad news for VR gaming, studios that want to make VR games will be shoting themselves in the foot if their game doesn't run smoothly on phone hardware.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
It's weird when you have PSVR for such a small price that it's not more popular, especially with so many PS4 out there.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
It's more than just Superhot.

Doesn't really say much other than that the Christmas sales spikes for Oculus are real, and are dramatically surpassing all previous sales numbers, including sales from the initial launch of their games.

The article was just about super hot. Of course oculus is the clear winner right now overall.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
It's weird when you have PSVR for such a small price that it's not more popular, especially with so many PS4 out there.

PSVR is a $400 headset that requires you to connect it to a PS4 through a mess of cables and a junction box. The Quest 2 starts at $299 and doesn't require you to connect it to anything.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I think that’s what makes it interesting. Game is ancient and yet selling more every year, which means more and more people are getting into VR for the first time.

Game ain’t on Samsung phone VR, sorry

Of course it's going to sell more each year, especially the last year, there are far more vr users than before. In a way the sakes increase is underwealming considering how much the user base increased.

The Samsung vr comment was sarcastic.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
PSVR is a $400 headset that requires you to connect it to a PS4 through a mess of cables and a junction box. The Quest 2 starts at $299 and doesn't require you to connect it to anything.
Oh, I went with prices here:

snimekobrazovky2022-0y9jbo.png

snimekobrazovky2022-0pmjms.png

It's 30% cheaper and comes with at least something, I think the price is what is more important. Not sure if we are getting shafted by FB with the prices. But ain't no 299 happening here.

Top Bottom