• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SUPERHOT VR sales platform split really highlight how dominating Oculus Quest is over other VR headsets

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Are we sure PSVR 2 will require a PS5? Is that a given or announced already?

Now that Sony stopped getting involved in handheld gaming, they might be considering getting into stand alone VR gaming.

Your Google-fu is weak
i mean if you consider 12 games being the same thing as native support. What i dont get is why does it need updates to support higher refresh rates, im worried it would add latency. Maybe im wrong. Also not really sure why people turned VR into another version of console waring.

Last edited:

Romulus

i mean if you consider 12 games being the same thing as native support. What i dont get is why does it need updates to support higher refresh rates, im worried it would add latency. Maybe im wrong. Also not really sure why people turned VR into another version of console waring.

You came in here talking a bunch of inaccuracies, lets not forget that. You said resolution was your main concern, yet a measly $300 headset is outperforming yours. Then you pivoted to fps.

Ozriel

M$FT
I don´t even know if it is active enough, I think most people buying the quest are not interested on the gaming side of it. But supposing a good portion is and it starts to gain traction, we can forget about having many next gen games on VR.

If there's a market, devs will build for it.

I'd rather a Quest scenario than a stagnating high end VR market because headsets cost crazy money and people can't get GPUs to buy.

Wonko_C

Are we sure PSVR 2 will require a PS5? Is that a given or announced already?

Now that Sony stopped getting involved in handheld gaming, they might be considering getting into stand alone VR gaming.
Early last year Sony confirmed it would connect to the PS5 via a single cable. It's not going to be a standalone headset.

hlm666

If it has its own arm chip then it could be stand alone while still being a peripheral for AAA VR games connected to a PS5.
I'm not sure where your getting the arm chip thing from, but if there are specs somewhere and it has some arm cores it's probably for the tracking. To be standalone it is going to need a soc with a gpu/memory/storage and a battery.

reksveks

Right. Is there any indication that Sony is or isn't going that route?
Explicitly I don't think so, I think it's been implied that they aren't cause of the need for a cable and the fact they haven't said anything to even suggest that they are going to have a standalone set/mode.

hlm666

Right. Is there any indication that Sony is or isn't going that route?
Well we have been told it will have to be connected to a ps5 via a cable. I think if it was going to be a standalone device it wouldn't be called the psvr2 for a start, they wouldn't want people to think it requires a playstation like psvr did. They would have a different name like oculus did for the rift/go/quest. You would also probably have seen Sony/PS job listings for programmers with arm knowledge because they will need to make an OS for it at the very least.

GymWolf

Gold Member
And yet sony decided to take the wired way with psvr2...even if ps5 has wifi 6...

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
I think if it was going to be a standalone device it wouldn't be called the psvr2 for a start, they wouldn't want people to think it requires a playstation like psvr did. They would have a different name like oculus did for the rift/go/quest.
PlayStation Portable and PlayStation Vita tells me otherwise..

Edit: It would still be Playstation, just some fancy name instead of VR2..

Last edited:
Well we have been told it will have to be connected to a ps5 via a cable.
Does that negate it being a stand alone device or having an option for wireless? I mean why are so sure based on this premise alone?
I think if it was going to be a standalone device it wouldn't be called the psvr2 for a start,
Are they calling it PSVR2?
You would also probably have seen Sony/PS job listings for programmers with arm knowledge because they will need to make an OS for it at the very least.
Didn't they hire programmers? What about the PS Vita team, they worked with arm didn't they?

I haven't been keeping with VR news. I don't have a VR but I might get it someday.

Ozriel

M$FT
Cooking Simulator VR just won the best VR game award on the Steam awards

So much for all the ‘Quest 2 holding back PC VR’ chatter.

Goalus

When you think about it, it's PC VR that's holding back the VR technology progress. It is astonishing that a makeshift solution like the Valve Index regularly appears in the Steam global topsellers. As long as an ancient concept like the lighthouse devices is supported by consumers, how is the PC space supposed to catch up to Quest's alien technology?

Stitch

Gold Member

It's a fun game, even if you just throw stuff around and blow up the kitchen.

On Demand

Banned
PS5 will have a user base of roughly 25M by the end of this year.
Meta Quest will have roughly the same user base.
That means that every PS5 owner needs to buy a PSVR2 asap just to catch up to the Quest. It's doubtful that this will happen.

23M by March 31st actually.

ZehDon

It's simply way cheaper than alternatives. Index is 999$, Quest 2 is 300$. WMR, Vive and Rift S are not sold anymore and there is basically no one else left on market.
Price is a factor, agreed, but the I think the right way to frame the Quest 2's success is value. USD$300.00 for what the Quest 2 offers is incredible value. It's not just a cheap piece of kit, it's also stupidly good for its price tag. You don't need a PC, which already gives it a huge value addition to the average consumer. On top of that, if you do have a PC, you get a top-tier VR Headset to play the highest quality games on - hence its position in Steam's hardware survey. And on top of that, if you have a WiFi 6 router, you can have it all wirelessly. Half-Life: Alyx without wires? That's a borderline religious experience. As for other headsets, there are actually a good number of alternative VR Headsets on the market, each pushing a particular niche. There's several different versions of the Vive available, for example. But, none of them are offering the same value as the Quest 2. AUD$600.00 for the Quest 2, or, AUD$2000.00 for the Vive - which also requires an expensive gaming PC? It's not even a competition at that point.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
PSVR2 wont be able to compete with Quest. Well, actually no device is able to compete with Quest right now.
Imagine having to buy a PS5 (which is hard to get, and expensive), probably a subscription, plus expensive games plus whatever the price of PSVR2 + accesories. Let alone the fact that is wired.
Quest is as simple as go, buy one, turn it on and play.

Last edited:
Top Bottom