• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SUPERHOT VR sales platform split really highlight how dominating Oculus Quest is over other VR headsets

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
It's 30% cheaper and comes with at least something, I think the price is what is more important. Not sure if we are getting shafted by FB with the prices. But ain't no 299 happening here.

Are you sure that's not a used PSVR? That looks like the launch bundle with the junction box that won't passthrough HDR.

In the US the 128GB Quest 2 is $299, the 256GB one is $399. The latest model PSVR is still $400.
Cpu is a variant of snapdragon 865 and adreno 650 is listed as smartphone and tablet gpu.

The CPU is the Qualcomm Snapdragon XR2 which was designed specifically for VR/AR.

People calling the Quest 2 a cellphone VR headset never used one, and are trolling.

TheMan

Yup, most people correctly assumed that wireless would be important for widespread adoption. The next step will probably be AR capability.

Wired may remain the best option for high end enthusiasts for now but I wonder how long even that will last

GloveSlap

The Quest 2 was such a good deal over Christmas with the $50 gift card and referral credit, with the crucial benefit of actually being on store shelves.

But now i know why stuff like Beat Saber and Superhot never go on sale, they don't need to.

Last edited:

lukilladog

The CPU is the Qualcomm Snapdragon XR2 which was designed specifically for VR/AR.

People calling the Quest 2 a cellphone VR headset never used one, and are trolling.

Specs and performance are pretty similar, slightly tweaked 865. And the gpu is listed as smartphone and tablet gpu.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Are you sure that's not a used PSVR? That looks like the launch bundle with the junction box that won't passthrough HDR.

In the US the 128GB Quest 2 is $299, the 256GB one is $399. The latest model PSVR is still $400.

Maybe older picture (it's not available atm), but it's legit price for new unit, it always cost like this. I bought one for my brother around year and half ago. It was same price 8900CZK, which is 400 USD without that 21% VAT, same trick which they did with Vita here. But Oculus never went below 10K CZK (~500USD)...

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Exactly. So how can you say the following?:

Someone points you towards the article to correct you and instead of you reading the article you then go and say something else that's completely untrue. Not a fan of facts are we?

Let's revisit the thread title:

"SUPERHOT VR sales platform split really highlight how dominating Oculus Quest is over other VR headsets"

I like facts, I also like focus. The thread says it's about superhot vr, and that's what the replies were about too.

kingfey

Banned
Oh, I went with prices here:

snimekobrazovky2022-0y9jbo.png

snimekobrazovky2022-0pmjms.png

It's 30% cheaper and comes with at least something, I think the price is what is more important. Not sure if we are getting shafted by FB with the prices. But ain't no 299 happening here.

Gamestop is selling it at $299.

GloveSlap

Just wait for one of the 30% off coupons and use it on those.
I've only had the Quest 2 for like a month, but haven't received a coupon. I get emails from them though. Do you know if they mention the coupon in the email title, or is it buried in their advertisement emails?

Romulus

Don't bother. Every VR thread, he has a negative spin, no matter the data. Quest could sell 100 million in 1 year and he'd have something bad to say. He has severe motion sickness and wants the tech to fail, so positive news is insulting to him.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: GHG

M1chl

What about amazon?
Only from US, so all of that applies, sadly for some unknown reason I can buy shit from the Amazon Germany, which is few kms away. It's warehouse, so you can't just go there and buy shit. There it cost 299EUR, which would be better. But I have Valve Index as of now, pretty happy with that. I am waiting for something with substantially more pixel density.

kingfey

Banned
Specs and performance are pretty similar, slightly tweaked 865. And the gpu is listed as smartphone and tablet gpu.

Processor: Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ XR2 Platform

"The Qualcomm Snapdragon XR2 5G Platform is the world’s first XR platform to unite 5G and AI. Built to enable unrivaled extended reality experiences, the Snapdragon XR2 5G Platform enables users to explore every angle of their virtual world in 360° spherical view that captures the scene in vivid detail. And with rich 3D audio, users can experience high-fidelity sound in all directions."

I dont see phones here buddy.

kingfey

Banned
Only from US, so all of that applies, sadly for some unknown reason I can buy shit from the Amazon Germany, which is few kms away. It's warehouse, so you can't just go there and buy shit. There it cost 299EUR, which would be better. But I have Valve Index as of now, pretty happy with that. I am waiting for something with substantially more pixel density.
Its sucks to have no support in your country.
Glad you have Valve index. More powerful than quest 2.

M1chl

Its sucks to have no support in your country.
Glad you have Valve index. More powerful than quest 2.
The Alzasoft is the biggest one here and it's pretty good. They don't jack up prices is more to do with some stupid price politics of the FB. I bought Index in the Steam Store no issues, no import fees and it arrive with UPS, so it was probably from states. Price was US price + 21% VAT, which is pretty good deal.

kuncol02

Banned
Oh, I went with prices here:

snimekobrazovky2022-0y9jbo.png

snimekobrazovky2022-0pmjms.png

You should be able to buy Quest on Oculus site. It's 350 eur with free shipping (at least in Poland). That PlaystationVR set was available for like 200eur years ago in Poland and IMO it was still way overpriced. That's terrible device which should never be sold in that form. Lack of proper tracking and controllers are disqualifying it from any comparison with other VR devices.

Rivet

You should be able to buy Quest on Oculus site. It's 350 eur with free shipping (at least in Poland). That PlaystationVR set was available for like 200eur years ago in Poland and IMO it was still way overpriced. That's terrible device which should never be sold in that form. Lack of proper tracking and controllers are disqualifying it from any comparison with other VR devices.

I have both PSVR and Quest 2. Not everything was bad, PSVR was actually more comfortable than Quest 2 and the screen was nice for its time, but it's an old device now and it shows. Controls definitely lacked precision and were the weak point for sure, along with the cable forest not allowing HDR passthrough in first version.

VR is evolving very quickly. PSVR1 is basically a dinosaur at this point. You can't compare a 2016 device with a 2020 device... PSVR2 should change everything pretty soon.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
This is actually bad news for VR gaming, studios that want to make VR games will be shoting themselves in the foot if their game doesn't run smoothly on phone hardware.

You think companies would prefer to make a game targeting a handful of buyers, vs a MUCH bigger, more active ecosystem?

The Quest 2 is a godsend for many many VR developers.

Pretty lame since they do exclusives. Basically stopped playing VR partially because of oculus taking games i would have bought. Personally think the graphics in VR are still too shit and i use an Index paired with a 3090, couldn't imagine choosing to play something on an oculus.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Picked up a PS4 VR headset to check it out, its cool you can get physical with gaming. Its one of those things you have to try it, give up yourself and surroundings. Price wise they're 3rd, 4th, 5th on peoples priorities list.
firewall-zero-hour3.jpg
Firewall-Zero-Hour%E2%84%A2_20180906210536.jpg

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Pretty lame since they do exclusives. Basically stopped playing VR partially because of oculus taking games i would have bought. Personally think the graphics in VR are still too shit and i use an Index paired with a 3090, couldn't imagine choosing to play something on an oculus.

But you could play those 3090 games on an Oculus. Wirelessly.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Of course it's going to sell more each year, especially the last year, there are far more vr users than before. In a way the sakes increase is underwealming considering how much the user base increased.

The Samsung vr comment was sarcastic.

Well, the fact that the game is selling at a faster rate and not diminish over time like most old games on flat screen, is a testament that Quest 2 is bringing in lots of new users who have never touch VR before at rapid rate, and not just selling to returning VR users.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
The Quest 2 was such a good deal over Christmas with the $50 gift card and referral credit, with the crucial benefit of actually being on store shelves.

But now i know why stuff like Beat Saber and Superhot never go on sale, they don't need to.
I got quest for Christmas and superhot was on sale for like $17

Based on the rumours they are aiming to launch it with some kind of improved control solution such as the gloves.

Meta will not release haptic gloves this decade. It's meant to be a 10 year long thing, because the engineering required is gargantuan.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Well, the fact that the game is selling at a faster rate and not diminish over time like most old games on flat screen, is a testament that Quest 2 is bringing in lots of new users who have never touch VR before at rapid rate, and not just selling to returning VR users.

Yes, agreed. I still have concern though that many of these users are trying it for a while, buying a bunch, then never touching it again. But as others have said, same thing may happen with consoles.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

How do you even compare their performance in the first place when they couldn't be anymore different?

Then in terms of resolution, you're playing on a mid-tier device at best. Quest 2 is superior, and the G2 is better than Quest 2 lol
sorry i guess resolution is the only thing it actually does better lol. 72 hz sounds fucking trash imo. Also not about to make a facebook account.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
I am really close into buying oculus quest 2, but I heard amazing things about the next psvr2. Also, is there any chances that oculus quest 3 get announced this year?
Anything you’ve heard about the PSVR 2 is just fanboys hopes and dreams because it hasn’t had anything announced.

Yes the Quest 3 will likely release in the second half of the year.

Stitch

Gold Member
Your Google-fu is weak

lukilladog

You think companies would prefer to make a game targeting a handful of buyers, vs a MUCH bigger, more active ecosystem?

The Quest 2 is a godsend for many many VR developers.

I don´t even know if it is active enough, I think most people buying the quest are not interested on the gaming side of it. But supposing a good portion is and it starts to gain traction, we can forget about having many next gen games on VR.

lukilladog

Processor: Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ XR2 Platform

"The Qualcomm Snapdragon XR2 5G Platform is the world’s first XR platform to unite 5G and AI. Built to enable unrivaled extended reality experiences, the Snapdragon XR2 5G Platform enables users to explore every angle of their virtual world in 360° spherical view that captures the scene in vivid detail. And with rich 3D audio, users can experience high-fidelity sound in all directions."

I dont see phones here buddy.

It is not marketed for phones, but it is tweaked phone and tablet hardware.

hlm666

Except you don't even need wired for PC anymore. There is ZERO argument for tethering a VR headset to a device in 2022.
I don't understand why people can't grasp the concept that airlink (or wireless in general for future devices) doesn't need to use a cable regardless if your playing HL Alyx or Beat Saber. It's like saying you need to plug a controller in with a wire for fortnite because you got to press alot of buttons.

lukilladog

How do you even compare their performance in the first place when they couldn't be anymore different?

They don´t look that different to me:

kingfey

Banned
They don´t look that different to me:

There is tons of difference.

ProcessorQualcomm Snapdragon XR2Qualcomm SM8250 Snapdragon 865 5G
Market (main)Augmented realitySmartphone
ISAARMv8-A (64-bit)ARMv8-A (64-bit)
MicroarchitectureKryo Gold, Kryo SilverCortex-A77, Cortex-A55
Core nameKryo Gold, Kryo SilverKryo 585 Prime, Kryo 585 Gold,
Kryo 585 Silver
FamilySnapdragonSnapdragon 800
Part number(s), S-SpecXR2SM8250, SDM865
Release dateQ1 2020Q4 2019
Lithography7 nm7 nm N7P
Cores88
Threads88
Base frequency1.8 GHz1.8 GHz
Turbo frequency2.5 GHz2.8 GHz
Energy cores6x qualcomm Kryo Silver @ 1.80 GHz4x Qualcomm Kryo 585 Silver @ 1.8 GHz
High performance cores2x Qualcomm Kryo Gold @ 2.5 GHz1x Qualcomm Kryo 585 Prime @ 2.84 GHz
3x Qualcomm Kryo 585 Gold @ 2.42 GHz
Cache memory2 MB2 MB
Max memory capacity8 GB16 GB
Memory typesLPDDR4XLPDDR4X-2133, LPDDR5-2750
TDP10 W10 W
GPU integrated graphicsQualcomm Adreno 650Qualcomm Adreno 650
GPU execution units22
GPU shading units512512
GPU base clock-587 MHz
GPU boost clock587 MHz587 MHz
GPU FP32 floating point1,267 GFLOPS1,250 GFLOPS
SocketSoCSoC
(Android)
Geekbench 5 single core
(Android)
Geekbench 5 multi-core

lukilladog

You are mistaken them with Snapdragon 888,Snapdragon 765 and Snapdragon 865. They are numbered snapdragon. Different chip.

There is also Snapdragon X52 5G modem.

There is tons of difference.

ProcessorQualcomm Snapdragon XR2Qualcomm SM8250 Snapdragon 865 5G
Market (main)Augmented realitySmartphone
ISAARMv8-A (64-bit)ARMv8-A (64-bit)
MicroarchitectureKryo Gold, Kryo SilverCortex-A77, Cortex-A55
Core nameKryo Gold, Kryo SilverKryo 585 Prime, Kryo 585 Gold,
Kryo 585 Silver
FamilySnapdragonSnapdragon 800
Part number(s), S-SpecXR2SM8250, SDM865
Release dateQ1 2020Q4 2019
Lithography7 nm7 nm N7P
Cores88
Threads88
Base frequency1.8 GHz1.8 GHz
Turbo frequency2.5 GHz2.8 GHz
Energy cores6x qualcomm Kryo Silver @ 1.80 GHz4x Qualcomm Kryo 585 Silver @ 1.8 GHz
High performance cores2x Qualcomm Kryo Gold @ 2.5 GHz1x Qualcomm Kryo 585 Prime @ 2.84 GHz
3x Qualcomm Kryo 585 Gold @ 2.42 GHz
Cache memory2 MB2 MB
Max memory capacity8 GB16 GB
Memory typesLPDDR4XLPDDR4X-2133, LPDDR5-2750
TDP10 W10 W
GPU integrated graphicsQualcomm Adreno 650Qualcomm Adreno 650
GPU execution units22
GPU shading units512512
GPU base clock-587 MHz
GPU boost clock587 MHz587 MHz
GPU FP32 floating point1,267 GFLOPS1,250 GFLOPS
SocketSoCSoC
(Android)
Geekbench 5 single core
(Android)
Geekbench 5 multi-core

Are you serious?. Both have performance Kyro gold cores, same gpu, cores, clocks, etc. Of course the Xr2 has VR specific features, but it is a phone/tablet intended cpu/gpu at its core.

kingfey

Banned
Are you serious?. Both have performance Kyro gold cores, same gpu, cores, clocks, etc. Of course the Xr2 has VR specific features, but it is a phone/tablet intended cpu/gpu at its core.

Performances :​

Performance comparison between the two processors, for this we consider the results generated on benchmark software such as Geekbench 4.

On Android:

Geekbench 5 - Multi-core & single core score - Android
Qualcomm Snapdragon XR2
ad.png
Qualcomm SM8250 Snapdragon 865 5G
ad.png

In single core, the difference is 12%. In multi-core, the differential gap is 11%.
They arent the same according to the benchmark.

Top Bottom