• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SUPERHOT VR sales platform split really highlight how dominating Oculus Quest is over other VR headsets

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Yet it's not enough for them to make more VR content. But, yes, evergreen casual best-for-first-timers & forgotten past that top sellers do well on the store with the smaller selection and no competition by flat games that people will opt to play if a VR title doesn't seem special enough to bother.

Like indie games early on did best on Switch but PC is still a mainstay market for them (and all games, that's why everything comes to PC now, Japanese games, timed console exclusives & first-party games). How about comparing a new popular/core VR game like people want after such intro apps like After the Fall? It's 50/50 between Quest and PC going by the amount of user reviews. There's even a very similar percentage of recommending vs panning on both (negative reviews on Steam vs 1-3 out of 5 on Quest, accepting some of the threes will be more positive and some less).

The percentage of user reviewers could vary but it indicates solid performance on PC, putting to rest PC VR/non stand alone VR is dead arguments by the amateur VR sites, influencers and media which seem to be Facebook shills slandering other platforms, not only by not covering titles until (if) they announce a Quest port but also constantly spewing the self fulfilling prophecy of how it's dead and everyone trashed their PC VR kits (Quests included) after making Alyx, Beat Saber, Boneworks, etc. the top VR sellers, rather than help elevate all of VR and cover all the great games & content no matter the platform so its users can know it exists and buy it, instead of play favorites, so that we can get the medium to a Wii/PS2-like 150 million user strong mainstream level instead of praise a single platform holder for a tiny fraction of that and shit on all the rest... /rant 🔥:lollipop_fire::messenger_fire:
Also VR stuff barely get any hype, threads and discussion here, but it's console warring style crap like this that gets it with the usual fantroll attitudes, way to go folks. Oh no, PSVR for the going-obsolete-PS4 isn't gaining, dedicated console/PC VR is dead! Wireless® is the new comfy couch® 🤷‍♂️
Alexios Alexios how about you actually respond instead of just laughing reaction? its coming off a bit antagonistic
I've already responded in my first reply, say something new/informed unlike a casual. Again, since you're fine with console gaming & not being a PC gamer, Quest is a fine VR platform just like a console is fine without every game or feature PC has, it's literally the same, Quest is like a Switch VR. I'm hardly a Quest shill as seen above, but with such ignorant casual-like attitude it's as if it would be better if Quest did not support PC connectivity just to be unable to say that indeed, since it does support that, it has a use and you can technically do more things with one, which is fucking dumb.

Edit: dude, stop sending me private messages, I don't have anything new to add if you don't, I've just been repeating because you're being too dense to get basic things even though you're a console and not a PC gamer, just ignore me, you said you did but still get triggered and @ me so, I react 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
I hope PSVR2 is not super expensive. I would like to try it to see what is this VR thing that everyone praise that's it's the future. I can't judge if it's the future or just another gimmick without trying but at least it is intriguing.

Kev Kev

I've already responded in my very first reply to you, say something new and informed. Again, if you're fine with console gaming and not being a PC gamer, then Quest is a fine VR platform just like a console is a fine platform even without every game and feature PC has, with its own, like duh mate.
you didnt respond to me about quest requiring a PC and you didnt request to my question about whether or not playing PC VR on quest 2 requires a wire or not. youre just laughing reaction at me to antagonize.

so youre either a troll or being a dick. either way, if youre going to be that way, enjoy my ignore list.

Last edited:

Three

It's almost as if a completely wireless, cheap VR headset is more popular than one than costs more than double, and needs wires and a powerful PC to operate.
Exactly and it will show in the type of games. This is a game based comparison. Superhot VR has an Oculus app version that doesn't require a PC if I'm not mistaken. If you were to look at a game like Half Life Alyx it would sway to another headset like the Valve Index. If you look at Resident Evil 7 or Ace Combat it will probably sway PSVR.

Rivet

As a Quest 2 and PSVR happy owner, I hope Sony gives us a wireless usage option on top of the wired usage one, making it standalone and competing directly with Quest 2. They could also do like Oculus Air Link and allow PS5 games on top of Wifi (remember PS5 has Wifi 6,so they could definitely do that). They should also make it usable on PC.

If they do all that, it will probably be a sweeping success, because technically their headset will be a lot better than Quest 2 (oled, foveated rendering, potentially using wifi 6...)

If they don't, it will never sell the same as a mainstream standalone headset like Quest 2. Which could be okay anyway, since they'll sell big games on it and could make big margins too.

Outside of technicals, what Sony will probably bring is something Quest 2 desperately lacks : big AAA games, big budget games... Outside of Alyx there's nothing like that on Quest 2.

Last edited:

Banned
I would not read that much into this until the ecosystems have matured further.

I wish Playstation would just release the new motion controls early. I don't think I'd mind having a spare set..

the new controllers use inside out tracking, meaning they don't work unless you have something on your head that tracks them

Three

As a Quest 2 and PSVR happy owner, I hope Sony gives us a wireless option on top of the wired one. They could also do like Oculus Air Link and allow PS5 games on top of Wifi (remember PS5 has Wifi 6,so they could definitely do that). They should also make it usable on PC.

If they do all that, it will probably be a sweeping success, because technically their headset will be a lot better than Quest 2 (oled, foveated rendering, potentially using wifi 6...)

If they don't, it will never sell the same as a mainstream standalone headset like Quest 2.

What Sony could bring though is something Quest 2 desperately lacks : big AAA games, big budget games... Outside of Alyx there's nothing like that on Quest 2.
It will never sell more than the standalone Quest 2 regardless because the quest 2 is standalone and pushed on Instagram and Facebook for the metaverse. PSVR will get better game support regardless though because the type of people who buy it are looking for high quality games.

Rivet

It will never sell more than the standalone Quest 2 regardless because the quest 2 is standalone and pushed on Instagram and Facebook for the metaverse. PSVR will get better game support regardless though because the type of people who buy it are looking for high quality games.

In my hypothesis, PSVR2 would be standalone too and competing in the same space as Quest 2 and in PC space too. That's why I talked about using it wirelessly with WiFi 6

It would have basically only positives compared to Quest 2 and no negatives :

- better screen (better resolution and better technology with OLED)
- foveated rendering vs no foveated rendering
- probably better controls (to be confirmed)
- big AAA games vs none except Half Life Alyx streamed from PC on Quest 2. That's the big PS competitive advantage.

Both would stream PC games from PC, both would be standalone. Only reason to choose Quest 2 over PSVR2 would be maybe the price difference.

Last edited:

onesvenus

you didnt respond to me about quest requiring a PC and you didnt request to my question about whether or not playing PC VR on quest 2 requires a wire or not. youre just laughing reaction at me to antagonize.

so youre either a troll or being a dick. either way, if youre going to be that way, enjoy my ignore list.
Quest doesn't require a PC. There are games that are only on PCVR, that's true. The same way they are games that are not on console.
Quest has a lot of content that works natively without needing a PC and, in case you want that, you can play PC games via tethering (both via cable or wirelessly). It's the best of both worlds.

In my hypothesis, PSVR2 would be standalone too and competing in the same space as Quest 2 and in PC space too. That's why I talked about using it wirelessly with WiFi 6

It would have basically only positives compared to Quest 2 and no negatives.
I wouldn't put my money down on PSVR2 being standalone. You'll need a PS5 and seeing how difficult it's to get one that will limit the number of possible buyers. There's no way it gets into mainstream sales if it isn't compatible with PC but I also doubt that.

kingfey

Banned
As a Quest 2 and PSVR happy owner, I hope Sony gives us a wireless option on top of the wired one. They could also do like Oculus Air Link and allow PS5 games on top of Wifi (remember PS5 has Wifi 6,so they could definitely do that). They should also make it usable on PC.

If they don't, it will never sell the same as a mainstream standalone headset like Quest 2.

What Sony could bring though is something Quest 2 desperately lacks : big AAA games, big budget games... Outside of Alyx there's nothing like that on Quest 2.
Sadly Sony won't waste their time, making AAA games for psvr. Considering, Xbox has insane line ups, so they want to stay competitive with them.

Only way, we see VR exclusive games, is Xbox joining the market. Once they join, that is when all hell breaks loose, and VR games floods the market. In the mean time, it's smaller games from Sony, and 3rd party support VR games.

Stitch

Gold Member
Good for them. Maybe they should make a sequel or add more content? But no, only thing they did was remove content 🤦‍♂️

Rivet

Sadly Sony won't waste their time, making AAA games for psvr. Considering, Xbox has insane line ups, so they want to stay competitive with them.

Only way, we see VR exclusive games, is Xbox joining the market. Once they join, that is when all hell breaks loose, and VR games floods the market. In the mean time, it's smaller games from Sony, and 3rd party support VR games.

Sony actually already said they intended on releasing big games on PSVR 2. That's the only option that makes sense considering the specs they chose. You don't need foveated rendering for Beat Saber or 99 % of the Quest 2 / PSVR1 games...

And they certainly won't wait for MS entering the market before doing that. MS is a non issue right now, they rejected VR (and according to Quest 2 stellar sales, they were probably wrong to do so). They're competing with Meta here, not Microsoft.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
they are aaa games but re4 is 17 years old and that shows that even aaa vr game from over decade is better than most low budget vr games
Because, they aren't true VR games, like half life Alyx. So they look better than current VR games. Even skyrim looks better.

True VR AAA games, needs time and budget. We won't get those sadly, for a 10m device. And the one that does it, has $1k Vr device, which somewhat covers the cost of their game.

We have a long way to go for true AAA game. Xbox needs to get in to market, to make that true.

kingfey

Banned
Sony actually already said they intended on releasing big games on PSVR 2. That's the only option that makes sense considering the specs they chose. You don't need foveated rendering for Beat Saber or 99 % of the Quest 2 / PSVR1 games...

And they certainly won't wait for MS entering the market before doing that. MS is a non issue right now, they rejected VR (and according to Quest 2 stellar sales, they were probably wrong to do so)
Said=/= do.
Sony explicitly said, AAA have higher budget to make. They won't take the risk to make a game, for a device, which doesn't have 20m users.

sncvsrtoip

Because, they aren't true VR games, like half life Alyx. So they look better than current VR games. Even skyrim looks better.

True VR AAA games, needs time and budget. We won't get those sadly, for a 10m device. And the one that does it, has $1k Vr device, which somewhat covers the cost of their game.

We have a long way to go for true AAA game. Xbox needs to get in to market, to make that true.
imo we will have it soon, with psvr2, microsoft is not interested in vr

The fact people prolly don't have a rig to run something like an index smoothly to begin with. I know a lot of folks with a cheapo quest 2 but hardly anyone with an index unless they are on a beast of a rig.

I've not used mine since I got it back in Aug it's still sitting in the box I might pull it out when move into a new flat but as of right now it's not really blowing my tits off.

kingfey

Banned
imo we will have it soon, with psvr2, microsoft is not interested in vr
I am not trusting Sony on that one. Especially with 70$ price increase.

Unless they want to go back on their word, about AAA being expensive to make. They also don't have competition. They are the only console owners who are in the VR market. I dont know if Nintendo is in that market.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Exactly and it will show in the type of games. This is a game based comparison. Superhot VR has an Oculus app version that doesn't require a PC if I'm not mistaken. If you were to look at a game like Half Life Alyx it would sway to another headset like the Valve Index. If you look at Resident Evil 7 or Ace Combat it will probably sway PSVR.
exactly. each has their own strengths and weaknesses. some people like to pretend quest 2 is holier than thou with no drawbacks.

Quest doesn't require a PC. There are games that are only on PCVR, that's true. The same way they are games that are not on console.
right! and thats all im trying to say! you need a PC for some things. and youre right, on the flipside, there are games you simply CANT play on PSVR (half life alyx for example which breaks my greasy heart :messenger_loudly_crying: ). at least on quest 2 you get the option via tethering, which leads me to my next question...

Quest has a lot of content that works natively without needing a PC and, in case you want that, you can play PC games via tethering (both via cable or wirelessly). It's the best of both worlds.
aaaahhh so not all PC VR games require a wire quest 2? am i interpereting that correctly? so i assume only the most demanding PC VR games would require a wire using a quest 2...?

thank you two for actually contributing and being helpful unlike Alexios Alexios who apparently didnt have a good enough answer so he decided to devolve into just reacting with laughing emojis

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
Never knew RE4 vr, skyrim vr, and half lyfe Alex was aa games.

Can you buy Alyx on Oculus Quest 2? I thought you had to be connected to a PC to run the game.

Edit: Ah yes, you need a gaming PC for that. Shame.

Last edited:

Three

Budgets for VR only games will never match the budgets of non-VR only games because the install base and projected sales will always be smaller but you're delusional if you think PSVR won't have good support for VR games and that xbox has anything to do with that. Xbox isn't getting VR support because their install base is small and a lot of them are on an underpowered Series S now too so selling VR games to a fraction, of a fraction, of a fraction of a small install base doesn't make financial sense.

As long as PSVR has a good install base it will get good game support regardless. Nothing to do with xbox. There's a reason Resident Evil 7 is on PSVR, not even on the Quest 2 which gets an old PS2 era game instead so that it can run standalone. Then you might even get dual games like GT7 getting full VR support so you're getting AAA games. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Edit: dude, stop sending me private messages, I don't have anything new to add if you don't, I've just been repeating myself as you're being too dense to get basic things like the above even though you're a console and not a PC gamer, just ignore me for real, you said you did but still get triggered...
then stop reaction bombing me

i DID ignore you but i cant ignore your reactions. either engage in discussion or knock off the childish reaction bullshit.

Rivet

Said=/= do.
Sony explicitly said, AAA have higher budget to make. They won't take the risk to make a game, for a device, which doesn't have 20m users.

If they didn't intend on relasing AAA games on PSVR2, there would be no PSVR2 (or maybe a low specs standalone one like Quest 2). They know it would bring nothing more that what's already there on Quest 2 or PSVR1, mini games. PSVR2 would have zero chance to sell well and bring profit, especially as a non standalone headset. Only reason to make it wired, only reason to make it foveated rendered, is because you want to run high end games on it. Otherwise it's like throwing money in the bin.

And of course it means they'll loose money on it in the first years, that's the way it works. Until they either give up or it takes off in sales.

Last edited:

Rivet

Can you buy Alyx on Oculus Quest 2? I thought you had to be connected to a PC to run the game.

Edit: Ah yes, you need a gaming PC for that. Shame.

Yes, Quest 2 is far from being powerful enough to render Alyx as a standalone headset... But the fact you can do it with a PC on top of the headset being standalone is really great. This headset has both small games played and bought directly from the standalone headset AND beefier games playable with Wifi (Air Link or Virtual Desktop) from your PC. None of this needs the cable if you're under Wifi 5 A/C or better. That's a revolution in VR. They deserve their success.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Budgets for VR only games will never match the budgets of non-VR only games because the install base and projected sales will always be smaller but you're delusional if you think PSVR won't have good support for VR games and that xbox has anything to do with that. Xbox isn't getting VR support because their install base is small and a lot of them are on an underpowered Series S now too so selling VR games to a fraction, of a fraction, of a fraction of an install base doesn't make financial sense.

As long as PSVR has a good install base it will get good game support regardless. Nothing to do with xbox. There's a reason Resident Evil 7 is on PSVR, not even on the Quest 2 which gets an old PS2 era game instead so that it can run standalone. Then you might even get dual games like GT7 getting full VR support so you're getting AAA games. Fingers crossed.
Who said psvr won't have good games? All I said was, Sony won't make exclusive AAA games for psvr.

And how does xbox has small install base?
They sold 80+m x360. And they sold 55m x1, with shit exclusive games, and a disastrous launch. That won't translate to a new gen, considering they have biggest VR games (doom, skyrim). They can make 1st VR games, unlike Sony because of their budget.

The problem is, MS isnt interested in VR. They are building cloud games. That is their primary target as of now. If they really want to get in to VR space, they will do, because of MS money.

5m is not a good number. Quest 2 managed to hit 10m in 1 year. That is a good number.

As for RE7, that is Capcom/Sony deal. And other VR games needs to make it for quest 2.

One of the biggest advantages psvr has is Playstation console. The games are on that console. So it's up to devs to enable VR mode. While quest 2 is standalone.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Yes.. the Quest 2 can pair via a wire or wirelessly to a PC to play PC exclusive VR games… is this a gotcha moment against the headset? Cause to me it’s a feature that makes it even a better value. Playing PCVR games with an headset that is 2-4 times cheaper than the competition?

The Quest iteration which will have the Dome 3 tech and AI assisted deepfovea at a price only Facebook can afford is gonna hurt/kill most of the competition, at least in PC space. With the AI rendering on foveated eye tracking, Half Life Alyx and the kind will run natively on the headset, if valve ports it of course.

kingfey

Banned
If they didn't intend on relasing AAA games on PSVR2, there would be no PSVR2 (or maybe a low specs standalone one like Quest 2). They know it would bring nothing more that what's already there on Quest 2 or PSVR1, mini games. PSVR2 would have zero chance to sell well and bring profit, especially as a non standalone headset. Only reason to make it wired, only reason to make it foveated rendered, is because you want to run high end games on it. Otherwise it's like throwing money in the bin.

And of course it means they'll loose money on it in the first years, that's the way it works. Until they either give up or it takes off in sales.
Isn't that VR mode? Isn't that what psvr runs run for these AAA games?

The only real AAA game is half life alyx. So yes, budget is the big reason.

The psvr is still profitable, since the main games, is coming from 3rd party, and they have the console for it. Hitman 3, skyrim, doom. All 3rd party games. Which gives purpose for the psvr.

Without that, that device would be dead.

onesvenus

aaaahhh so not all PC VR games require a wire quest 2? am i interpereting that correctly? so i assume only the most demanding PC VR games would require a wire using a quest 2...?
AFAIK all PC VR games can be played via wireless tethering on a Quest 2. You obviously still need a good enough PC to run the game and good WiFi but it works quite well from my experience

Kev Kev

Yes.. the Quest 2 can pair via a wire or wirelessly to a PC to play PC exclusive VR games… is this a gotcha moment against the headset? Cause to me it’s a feature that makes it even a better value. Playing PCVR games with an headset that is 2-4 times cheaper than the competition?

The Quest iteration which will have the Dome 3 tech and AI assisted deepfovea at a price only Facebook can afford is gonna hurt/kill most of the competition, at least in PC space. With the AI rendering on foveated eye tracking, Half Life Alyx and the kind will run natively on the headset, if valve ports it of course.
im legitimately just trying to get answers. i dont favor one headset over the other. thats like console war childish stuff.

so i imagine, the PC games that take the highest amount of power will require decent PC and a wire, correct? i honestly dont know bc ive never tried quest and im not a PC person. but im willing to consider it if i know what my option/limitations are.

i think thats the distinction people are trying to make. there are no gotcha moments! tbf, OP has set the thread up to be a knockdown dragout with the "dominating sales" part. it just invites console warrior, or in this case VR headset warriors.

AFAIK all PC VR games can be played via wireless tethering on a Quest 2. You obviously still need a good enough PC to run the game and good WiFi but it works quite well from my experience

right on! so why are some people saying you may need to wire a quest 2 to play certain games? maybe i read some osts wrong but i feel like people are saying that earlier ITT. also, on average how ex[ensive would a PC need to be to run all the latest and greatest quest 2 games via tethered to a PC...?

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
so no half life alyx without a PC. how many other big games on VR cant be run on quest without a PC? thats kind of my point. quest people forget to mention that part until someone comes in and mentions that.

look, im not saying the quest 2 isnt a great option for VR. if you dont already own a PS4, id say quest 2 is for sure your best option. but your not going to get the most out of the experience without that PC. and as far as i understand, if you want to get PC VR games like half life alyx to run, youll have tho be tethered by a wire, is that correct? legit question, i dont know

EGcpsBZUwAA44mO.jpg

given all that, i can see why someone might be willing to just wait and see psvr2 has to offer, especially if they already have a PS5. so when psvr2 comes out, i think we will se these numbers change. but by then other headset will be out, so who know.

honestly, this whole VR headset war is just as petty and pathetic as console wars imo. im just trying to get the facts straight and not let people conveniently leave out important ones.

"im just asking questions!!" ok thats the last time ill say that i promise :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Alexios Alexios how about you actually respond instead of just laughing reaction? its coming off a bit antagonistic

The opposite is also true though, there's no RE4 VR without the quest 2. Alyx is only really popular in hardcore gaming spheres (same can be said for RE4) but outside of that it's not what most people who own these devices are playing.

Current snapshot from Steam as an example:

AldK4VZ.jpg

kaMMBXP.jpg

Overall Psvr is by far the worst VR option out there, especially for people new to VR.

Last edited:

Rivet

Isn't that VR mode? Isn't that what psvr runs run for these AAA games?

The only real AAA game is half life alyx. So yes, budget is the big reason.

The psvr is still profitable, since the main games, is coming from 3rd party, and they have the console for it. Hitman 3, skyrim, doom. All 3rd party games. Which gives purpose for the psvr.

Without that, that device would be dead.

Sure, but now they need to go beyond that. The only thing Sony can bring to be relevant in VR market is bigger budget AAA games. That's what they do best after all. And it's also an area where Meta can't really compete right now.

Otherwise they already lost vs Meta with Quest 2 and its future iterations, and they know it.

Quest 2 also has multiple impressive tricks which make you feel you're in the future and that PSVR1 doesn't have :

- the VR workspace : your real desk and real keyboard being modelized and incorporated in the real VR workroom environment (Meta Horizon Workrooms). They either copy your keyboard in VR or embed the video of your keyboard itself in the VR world. It's really impressive. I actually used Excel (streamed from my real PC on a VR screen inside the VR world on the standalone Quest 2, that's the way it works right now) and it worked like in a real working environment, I actually could work in VR on real projects. That's one of the end goals of Meta.

- Guardian mixing your real environment videos with the VR place

- things like real 3D movies you can share with people in real VR movie theaters with Bigscreen (maybe this one is available on PSVR1 too, I don't remember...)

Last edited:

onesvenus

There's a reason Resident Evil 7 is on PSVR, not even on the Quest 2
I'd argue the big reason is that Resident Evil 7 was already on PlayStation. Adding a VR mode is much easier than porting a PS4 game to Quest 2. That doesn't imply that big exclusive AAA VR games will be made for PSVR2, we might only get VR modes of existing games

kingfey

Banned
im legitimately just trying to get answers. i dont favor one headset over the other. thats like console war childish stuff.

so i imagine, the PC games that take the highest amount of power will require decent PC and a wire, correct? i honestly dont know bc ive never tried quest and im not a PC person. but im willing to consider it if i know what my option/limitations are.

i think thats the distinction people are trying to make. there are no gotcha moments! tbf, OP has set the thread up to be a knockdown dragout with the "dominating sales" part. it just invites console warrior, or in this case VR headset warriors.

right on! so why are some people saying you may need to wire a quest 2 to play certain games? maybe i read some osts wrong but i feel like people are saying that earlier ITT. also, on average how ex[ensive would a PC need to be to run all the latest and greatest quest 2 games via tethered to a PC...?
300$ device, which has portable games, and wired connection for powerfull games.

This is the switch of VR. The games can be run on regular gaming pc. So you dont need 700$ device to play those games.

Three

Who said psvr won't have good games? All I said was, Sony won't make exclusive AAA games for psvr.

And how does xbox has small install base?
They sold 80+m x360. And they sold 55m x1, with shit exclusive games, and a disastrous launch. That won't translate to a new gen, considering they have biggest VR games (doom, skyrim). They can make 1st VR games, unlike Sony because of their budget.

The problem is, MS isnt interested in VR. They are building cloud games. That is their primary target as of now. If they really want to get in to VR space, they will do, because of MS money.

5m is not a good number. Quest 2 managed to hit 10m in 1 year. That is a good number.

As for RE7, that is Capcom/Sony deal. And other VR games needs to make it for quest 2.

One of the biggest advantages psvr has is Playstation console. The games are on they console. So it's up to devs to enable VR mode. While quest 2 is standalone.

But didn't you just try to flog off Skyrim VR and RE4 VR as AAA VR games? Then say Sony won't make AAA games for PSVR2?
Budgets for adding VR support to some already created old ass games are much smaller than creating something like Astrobot, Iron Man or Blood and Truth. That's not even including the tacked on VR like Driveclub VR and GT Sport. High VR game budgets will never match non-VR games but Sony has shown the biggest support.

Xbox does have a small install base. That's why it has no VR. 360 sales are irrelevant to that. They didn't pursue VR because they couldn't even if at one point they pretended they will support it. Platform agnostic subscriptions and the cheap Series S showed that they wanted to grow their install base and that further pushed them away from VR.

Sure RE7 is a capcom/sony deal but then what is Skyrim and RE4 to Quest 2/Meta/Facebook? Skyrim VR and Doom VR are on PSVR anyway because of PSVRs install base and the users game buying habits.

onesvenus

You are getting confused. You don't need a PC to play quest 2 games, all of those run natively on the headset.

You do need a PC to play PC games on the Quest 2. The PC you need depends on the type of game but I'd look at the recommended specs for half life Alyx for example. That's the best AAA game PC VR at the moment IMO

GHG

Gold Member
Kev Kev Kev Kev also I think you're wrong to view this whole thing through the lens of "console wars". If there was ever a scenario where the phrase "a rising tide lifts all boats" applies then this is it. VR is still in it's infancy so at this stage it's about as many people experiencing VR as possible (and having a good experience), it doesn't matter what device it is that makes that happen.

I'm pretty sure I'm not alone when I say that I don't care which VR device ends up selling the most, all I care about is whether or not innovation and improvement continues within the space (and that's more likely to happen with the more devices/games that are successful). The overall experience point is important to note though and that's why you're seeing the Quest 2 being talked about the most - it's the current VR device that is most likely to give someone a good first impression.

Three

I'd argue the big reason is that Resident Evil 7 was already on PlayStation. Adding a VR mode is much easier than porting a PS4 game to Quest 2. That doesn't imply that big exclusive AAA VR games will be made for PSVR2, we might only get VR modes of existing games
That's true but then as I mentioned above that's true of any headset. When RE4 and Skyrim is what you're using as your 'AAA' games. A game where VR is tacked on to an already developed old game.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Yah. The Quest 2 is very versatile in that regards. You can use it as a standalone VR headset. You can also use it as a PCVR headset (by either connecting a wire or wireless streaming) as well. It allow users to bring it everywhere, such as to a friend's house, or a hospital, or a big empty warehouse to play with a large play area.

Oculus must have learnt the lessons of Playstation VR: affordable price, plug & play & content over more power. They can also release a new version (Quest 2 Pro, Quest 3 etc) every 2 to 3 years or so and keep improving the horsepower and other features. They also announced Grand Theft Auto VR few months ago, and Assassin's Creed VR and Splinter Cell VR last year too.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
To be fair the oculus store sucks and it pretty much predominantly features this game and beat saber.

kingfey

Banned
But didn't you just try to flog off Skyrim VR and RE4 VR as AAA VR games? Then say Sony won't make AAA games for PSVR2?
Budgets for adding VR support to some already created old ass games are much smaller than creating something like Astrobot, Iron Man or Blood and Truth. That's not even including the tacked on VR like Driveclub VR and GT Sport. High VR game budgets will never match non-VR games but Sony has shown the biggest support.

Xbox does have a small install base. That's why it has no VR. 360 sales are irrelevant to that. They didn't pursue VR because they couldn't even if at one point they pretended they will support it. Platform agnostic subscriptions and the cheap Series S showed that they wanted to grow their install base and that further pushed them away from VR.

Sure RE7 is a capcom/sony deal but then what is Skyrim and RE4 to Quest 2/Meta/Facebook? Skyrim VR and Doom VR are on PSVR anyway because of PSVRs install base and the users game buying habits.
Because Valve made exclusive AAA VR game, while Sony didn't. psvr vr games are only existing games. because there isn't a game like half lyfe Alex.

again, xbox user base is much bigger. The only reason you consider them small is the xbox one debacle. And again, MS has money. Small users won't be an issue for them. They are doing cloud gaming for their console. That much bigger money, than a VR device. They have the games to support it. They just don't want VR. Spencer himself said it.

If they care about growing their userbase like you said it, they wouldn't put their games on PC. Especially with them buying bethesda. That is not behaviour of someone trying to increase their user base. We are getting out of topic with this one, so let's end it here.

The PSVR is on Playstation. Again, Playstation has those games. 3rd party companies, want to jump on VR trend. Which is why psvr has alot of support.

Just like how Xcloud has more games, than stadia and GeForce.

Quest 2 on other hand is a stand alone device. It doesn't have a store, unlike steam index, hive, which depend on steam games. So they have less support. They need to make deals with 3rd party companies, to port their games in to their device. Its like stadia.

Buggy Loop

It has to be on Quest store to be used natively. Some games when you buy on store will also give you access to the Rift/PCVR version which requires a PC and will look better, such as walking dead saints and sinners.

Games that are sims on PC and require typical hardware such as HOTAS or wheels are on PCVR.

The OP’s presented data from superhot and as GHG mentioned earlier is that it indicates that peoples who get a Quest 2 seem to be navigating the stand-alone store first and foremost, and probably with a vast majority of them considering the headset as it’s own thing and not connecting to PCVR for their entertainment. The ratio of Quest vs Steam is disproportionate. And it does make sense for majority of games on the store as they are optimized for stand-alone and run quite well.

There’s many developers in the past year who mentioned how sales on Quest 2 are amazing since it’s introduction, outside of the superhot dev.

I was running Half Life Alyx wirelessly with a 1060 before I got lucky with Ampere. HL:A’s low setting vs ultra is almost the same hehe. But HL:A is an odd one out of the other PCVR games that ran like shit. Valve did magic work on the optimization of that game.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
And the PSVR sold like 2 million units to a user base of about 120 million. The PSVR2 isn’t suddenly going to sell 50+ million that the Quests will probably have sold by then.
It sold 2 million for a userbase of 70 million.
And 5 million for a userbase of 106m.

Sony never shared the number of PSVR sales when they reached 120m PS4 sold.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Kev Kev Kev Kev also I think you're wrong to view this whole thing through the lens of "console wars". If there was ever a scenario where the phrase "a rising tide lifts all boats" applies then this is it. VR is still in it's infancy so at this stage it's about as many people experiencing VR as possible (and having a good experience), it doesn't matter what device it is that makes that happen.

I'm pretty sure I'm not alone when I say that I don't care which VR device ends up selling the most, all I care about is whether or not innovation and improvement continues within the space (and that's more likely to happen with the more devices/games that are successful). The overall experience point is important to note though and that's why you're seeing the Quest 2 being talked about the most - it's the current VR device that is most likely to give someone a good first impression.

Improvement is definitely in the work from the developers. For example Cubism is getting passthrough + handtracking few days later, and Waltz of the Wizard just added voice recognition interaction in early Dec. There are already lots of hand tracking VR early access stuffs on SideQuest.

Kev Kev

You are getting confused. You don't need a PC to play quest 2 games, all of those run natively on the headset.

You do need a PC to play PC games on the Quest 2. The PC you need depends on the type of game but I'd look at the recommended specs for half life Alyx for example. That's the best AAA game PC VR at the moment IMO

okay i gotcha. starting to understand a little more now. thank you! i will say i did not see skyrim on the list for quest 2 games that GHG GHG (youd need to run that via PC VR, im assuming). which is a huge drawback for me. but then again you cant get RE4 and other games on PSVR, which GHG also said, so its partially dependent on if there is a specific game youre looking for.

someone should make an excel chart for all the games you can and cant play on each headset. i guess you just need to dig really deep before buying and make sure you know what youre getting.

this is really the main point, i coudnt agree more. as long as VR keeps exploding im very happy. cant wait to see where VR is in 10 years from, regardless of which headset comes out on top.

The OP’s presented data from superhot and as GHG mentioned earlier is that it indicates that peoples who get a Quest 2 seem to be navigating the stand-alone store first and foremost, and probably with a vast majority of them considering the headset as it’s own thing and not connecting to PCVR for their entertainment.

ok gotcha.

ok so to sum everything up...

it seems like quest 2 is directed more towards the casual masses, but it also has the potential to please the hardcore crowd, but people like me are only seeing the marketing for VR chat and facebook apps requirements and all that other bullshit. so i think the messaging/marketing might be getting a little bit lost in translation. and the antagonizing and VR headset warring that some people like to stir up isnt helping. but in the end all that matter is VR keeps growing, and if the quest 2 is the headset to make that keep happening, thats a win for all VR fans.

thanks for all the helpful replies!

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
But they lost the most market share over the past few years.
They lost market share yes.
But 2019 units are probably around the same.

2020 and 2021 are already PS5 and people waiting PSVR2.

The same way PS4 didn’t sell anymore in 2020/2021… PSVR didn’t sell in 2020/2021… it entered in the phase before discontinued.

The graph shows a comparison between a hyped new product in its 3rd-4th interaction vs an end of life product… think a bit about.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
people like me are only seeing the marketing for VR chat and facebook apps requirements and all that other bullshit.
You need to separate gaming, from these things. You wont be able to enjoy VR gaming, if you care about these stuff.

As much as I hate using facebook, VR is just magical experience. I wont let that hatred stop me from enjoying these views.

Fbh

Not surprising.
It's cheap (for a VR headset), wireless, offers standalone functionality without the need of expensive additional hardware while still being able to connect to said additional hardware for enhanced performance and more games.

It's one of the best options on the market for a more casual audience that's interested in VR but doesn't own and doesn't want to buy a $1000+ PC on top of a $500 headset, and it's still a valid option for more core gamers that do own a gaming PC as it offers pretty good features for a rather affordable price.

Top Bottom