• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

swear during skype call on Xbox One: go right ahead. You won't be banned for that.

Guevara

A few places are picking this up:
I’m always opposed to incursions on free expression, though Microsoft certainly has the right to control its own communications network; this is not a free-speech issue. That said, it’s an odd choice by the company. Gamers are notoriously dickish to one another over in-game chat on any platform.

Saying that swearing is not to be tolerated (at least partially) in this one area of gaming on top of a platform that is an obscenity cannon just feels squishy. Also, it’s inconsistent. And as I don’t think that language deemed by some as “foul” should be banned while playing games, I don’t think that it should be banned in uploaded videos of games being played.

Whomever decided that gamers need to be coddled in Redmond essentially stepped in an unneeded PR puddle of mud. Microsoft wants nothing but a smooth launch for its console. Banning potty-mouthed users isn’t a way to make friends in the gaming world.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/25/mi...tudio-videos-can-cost-you-account-privileges/

Polygon said:
A Microsoft representative responded to our requests, explaining that the company does not monitor private Skype conversations — however, "excessive profanity" in Upload Studio videos will result in suspensions.

v9fA7Tb.gif

Well, Fuck you MS.

mjc

v9fA7Tb.gif

Well, Fuck you MS.

Its understandable from a company standpoint. You just know some kid is gonna be watching uploaded clips and his parents are gonna find out...things spiral into them trying to sue MS over something stupid. It's the world we live in.

Village

Kinect: "I saw a young lady over at your house today, but she didn't match the profile of your wife. I think you should consider renewing your subscription and purchasing more downloadable content. I think you'll agree that this is a mutually beneficial arrangement."

oh goodness.

The one useful criticism is that uploads should be able to be tagged as mature so adults can view them. Certainly not an unreasonable modification, many upload services have this.

Its understandable from a company standpoint. You just know some kid is gonna be watching uploaded clips and his parents are gonna find out...things spiral into them trying to sue MS over something stupid. It's the world we live in.

Give the user the chance to flag content as adult content, and don't treat the rest of us like those kids parents want to protect. I'm not a fucking kid, and MS sure is not my father.

So, no.

how is this any different than him playing online and hearing this first hand?

(mat)

This is too funny. I love launch console bugs.

This will be fixed in time, so you might aswell enjoy the ride until then.

Entrecôte;91273291 said:
The one useful criticism is that uploads should be able to be tagged as mature so adults can view them. Certainly not an unreasonable modification, many upload services have this.

Yeah, this should be done. Tie it into the parental controls. Problem solved with minimal fuss.

Steel

Banned

Then mark the video as mature and have a parental control setting that blocks them for their kid's profiles. Seriously, this is silly.

So let me get this straight. If I upload a video that I swear in, I can get banned.

If I get banned, it locks me out of gold, which is required to use my apps? Am I getting this correct?

hwy_61

Banned
Give the user the chance to flag content as adult content, and don't treat the rest of us like those kids parents want to protect. I'm not a fucking kid, and MS sure is not my father.

So, no.

I agree with this. An iTunes style Explicit tag could prevent the kids from hearing profanity. I worry that MS turned this on to avoid it altogether. It seems in the US, parents are not expected to take any responsibility whatsoever with their kids. It's maddening.

No, that is not understandable. A lawsuit based on the fact that someone's kid heard swear words from videos recorded with the Kinect camera will never go anywhere.

IISANDERII

"To be clear, the Xbox Live Policy & Enforcement team does not monitor direct peer-to-peer communications like Skype chats and calls,"

lol so it's a different department then

No it is not understandable from a company standpoint. If you give your children unfettered access to Xbox they are going to hear some things. If you give your children unfettered access to watch Youtube videos or uploaded game clips, they are going to hear and see some things. Time to be a parent, crazy.

Do Rockstar and DICE as developers have to Abide by the Xbox alive code of conduct too ?
No. There games are rated M for Mature, they're allowed to swear.

Upload Studio, Skype, and the Xbox Dashboard are rated E for everyone according to Microsoft and are to remain appropriate for ThinkOfTheChildren.gif :p Same with online multiplayer, that isn't rated so even a M-Rated game has a Rating of E for Online Play as far as Microsoft is concerned. Gotta keep stuff G man. Its fucking stupid, I agree, but I got banned for a Day for swearing in Upload, I wouldn't be mad at anyone but myself for not following the rules I agreed too. Well... That's a lie I'd be a little pissed at Microsoft, but I'd still put the blame mostly on myself.

Kinect: "I saw a young lady over at your house today, but she didn't match the profile of your wife. I think you should consider renewing your subscription and purchasing more downloadable content. I think you'll agree that this is a mutually beneficial arrangement."

Lmfao

Copenap

Have you heard of that thing called Youtube? Damn, there gotta be millions of lawsuits each day.

RooMHM

Fuck you Microsoft.
Die or go out of gaming. I will hold responsible of the degradation of the gaming industry everyone that finances this company.

8bitDevil

Banned
If people keep supporting MS they get what they deserve.

The writing has been on the wall with this company for awhile. Just another drop in the bucket.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Regarding Upload Studio:
Why not add a flag that comes up on videos saying "THIS VIDEO CONTAINS ADULT LANGUAGE, VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED"

I mean if the kinect can detect your saying cuss words, why not just flag it and have it unaccessible for accounts that are under parent protection. If you have a kid that submits a video with cussing and they are under parental controls, BANNED. If not, well that parent choose to let their kid access that stuff. See Microsoft, I found a solution to the problem rather than just blanket censoring adults.....

MCN

Banned
"Choose something else to play".

You know what, Microsoft? That's the smartest thing you've said all fucking year.

Nutter

If people keep supporting MS they get what they deserve.

The writing has been on the wall with this company for awhile. Just another drop in the bucket.

LOL.. what a stupid thing to say, so they enforce a policy to not have profanity in publicly available videos, and you are making this into an anti MS thing.

Top Bottom