• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

swear during skype call on Xbox One: go right ahead. You won't be banned for that.

In A.D. 2014
Gen 8 was beginning.
GAF: What happen?
Mechanic: Somebody set up us the ban.
Operator: We get error.
GAF: What!
Operator: Xbox, go home.
GAF: It's you!!
Kinect: How are you gentlemen!!
Kinect: You can't Xbox Live Gold is required.
Kinect: Because of your past behavior.
GAF: What you say!!
Kinect: You have no chance to Skype, choose something else to play.
Kinect: Ha Ha Ha Ha....
Operator: GAF!!
GAF: Take off every 'PS4'!!
GAF: You know what you doing.
GAF: Move 'PS4'.
GAF: For great justice.

shoplifter

you will (likely) get banned if you violate the TOS. end of story. read the TOS and see if whatever you think you should or shouldn't do is mentioned there.

Which is exactly why they should be enforcing ratings for playing games, etc.MS put a multiple profile system in place and they should be using that to wall off potentially objectionable content. Racism and abusive stuff is another story.

Uploading a video of GTA5? It's rated M and only accessible by profiles with that level of access. By the logic we're (apparently) following here, I can get banned for playing Deathrow via Live with the volume up high enough that someone complains about the game cursing incessantly. You know, they game that they're playing.

Zinthar

Polygon contacted Microsoft and got a response: http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/25/5143542/report-xbox-one-skype-upload-studio-users-banned-for-swearing

A Microsoft representative responded to our requests, explaining that the company does not monitor private Skype conversations — however, "excessive profanity" in Upload Studio videos will result in suspensions.

"To be clear, the Xbox Live Policy & Enforcement team does not monitor direct peer-to-peer communications like Skype chats and calls," the representative wrote. "Also, we take Code of Conduct moderation via Upload Studio very seriously. We want a clean, safe and fun environment for all users. Excessive profanity as well as other Code of Conduct violations will be enforced upon and result in suspension of some or all privileges on Xbox Live. We remain committed to preserving and promoting a safe, secure and enjoyable experience for all of our Xbox Live members."

It would seem the users who posted screenshots of their Skype application preventing them access received a full Xbox Live ban in another app, while reports of Upload Studio bans were potentially accurate. We've reached out to Microsoft again to find out how uploaded videos are being moderated, and will update this article with any additional information we receive.

stilgar

This is worse than anything I could have imagined in terms of 1984...guys, please don't buy something that's acting with you like HAL with a defenseless space crew.

Skype conversations are private and they were mentioned.

If you're talking about uploaded videos, having parental controls and ratings are way better than outright banning someone. Especially when it's an automatic process which this looks to be.

Do you honestly think MS would ban someone for swearing in a private Skype call?

Really?

blackseedboy

Neo Member
3glb.jpg

if someone wants to edit the phrase, or to use the right font...

Astroroot

Banned
Why are you blindly hoping for the best? Go research some stuff and you'll see why your "faith" is crazy.
This isn't blind hope, it's common sense. If you're banned from Xbox Live, you can't use features that require Xbox Live.

The message itself is a bug though.

Skype conversations are private and they were mentioned.

If you're talking about uploaded videos, having parental controls and ratings are way better than outright banning someone. Especially when it's an automatic process which this looks to be.

They were mentioned but it is not accurate and the title needs to be changed.

level44

If this is true, just by swearing during a private Skype call then congratulations MS, you have fucked up royally once again.

Anti-consumer bull. We are adults, let us be adults.

Zinthar

This can't be real? That's unbelievable. You can't fucking cuss in a skype phone call? I just can't believe that's true.

It's not true. It seems that the guy was banned for swearing in a video he uploaded and being banned from Xbox Live gold prevented use of skype. I'm not sure how I feel about Microsoft taking such a heavy-handed approach towards monitoring swearing in the upload studio, but that's certainly far less outrageous than the idea that they're monitoring personal calls and issuing bans based on your behavior there.

https://twitter.com/getB3NT/status/404963267896172544

Edit 1:
He says it happend during voice chat and it was detected through Kinect:
https://twitter.com/sidspyker/status/404978449250414592/photo/1

Edit 2:
Apparently, it's not just swearing during a skype call that results in a ban. Swearing during a video you record and upload can also result in a ban. It apparently gives you a 24 hour ban.
http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/xbox_one_support/f/4274/t/1628408.aspx?PageIndex=1
9Rb4UeJ.jpg

Any word on when it will be fixed via patch?

Nilaul

Every greek using Xbox will be banned for saying the swearword "Malaka", which seems to replaced the word dude and bro in Greece for the past 80 years. Every single one of us will be banned.

It's not true. It seems that the guy was banned for swearing in a video he uploaded and being banned from Xbox Live gold prevented use of skype. I'm not sure how I feel about Microsoft taking such a heavy-handed approach towards monitoring swearing in the upload studio, but that's certainly far less outrageous than the idea that they're monitoring personal calls and issuing bans based on your behavior there.

Either they do not read or the spread the fud intentionally.

Odrion

Banned
$60 a year, kids.

Valve has the herp deep queue that you need to graduate from for dickbags in Dota 2. There are ways to handle these things without taking away services.

You pay your fee and a robot tells you to behave and takes access away from you.

What a world we live in.
Now imagine this, and all the Micro-transactions in the first party titles stacked on top of all that horrendous DRM that Microsoft introduced back in May.

This could've been a Lovecraftian horror-box that drove anyone to play it to suicide. Now it's just sad.

Wow thats total BS if thats exactly what happened. If I want to Skype with my brother and curse while doing so I should be able to. I can understand if the calls were open to just anyone (for example a person just calling random people and cursing) but if you and your friends want to curse at each other you should be able to without fear of reprisal.

ElRenoRaven

Assuming this is legit that is some very very fucked up shit. It doesn't help MS stop the fear mongering about them listening in to your shit either.

That's just beyond fucked up.

Wow thats total BS if thats exactly what happened. If I want to Skype with my brother and curse while doing so I should be able to. I can understand if the calls were open to just anyone but if you and your friends want to curse at each other you should be able to without fear of reprisal.

Good news - it's not what happened.

I can agree with that too. But are you going to trust individuals to flagg them appropriately?

They clearly have some form of moderation, otherwise people wouldn't get banned. I think implementing a classification system where the content of the voiceover as well as the game itself are taken into account, and allowing parental controls, is the best option for everyone. I'd rather not have my kid watching something excessively violent, swearing seems like a minor issue to me by comparison.

Top Bottom