• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online II |OT| Two Years Worth of Anticipation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hexa

Episode 13:
I'm just going to quote myself from the beginning of the thread:

Major Spoilers beyond the show!!!
I can't not say it though. Sorry.
Hell no. Fuck that guy. Male yanderes are gross.

In the novels there was much more of a build up though throughout the arc.
Something about how his older brother was always the smart one and when he was stuck in SAO Shinkawa was thrust by his parents to much higher expectations he couldn't fulfill so he became addicted to GGO and tried to be the best and became a gun freak with collecting models and such to escape reality, so when he found out that a girl had used a gun to kill someone in reality he wanted to essentially impress her and be over her to prove that virtual reality mattered more than reality to himself, but she pretty much instantly surpassed him, which he increasingly began to resent. Thus when his brother came out of SAO with the same essential ideology of power in game being just as important as real life and proving that to the world, he jumped on it. Then when the girl he liked met someone through GGO that she seemed to be showing interest in over him, he completely snaps and goes yandere.
While obviously the part at the end removes all chances for redemption, is it bad that I still somewhat sympathized with him other than the
yandere
part.

Also I'm surprised they dragged that part on so long. Thought for sure this arc would be over this episode. Still they pulled it off pretty well I'd say.
Kirito's entrance and knee to the face was more satisfying than in the novel.
I guess they really wanted to set enough time aside for detailing the aftermath.

And yes this is still a 10/10 for me.

Collete

Episode 13

...Ok

Did anyone feel that was utter BS how Kirito found Death Gun's name? "I just wanted to pretend I forgot his name"...Really?...I dunno but I felt him remembering his name like that wasn't really built up to get to that point quite well.

Also Asuna was still completely useless again. Sometimes I wish the females had a bit of a stronger role. At least Sinon was able to fight back a little but cmon...Wait for police (aka send an 18 year old to come knock Death Gun's partners.) to come save you...At least the inner dialogue with Sinon was a good touch to that. It's in the right direction.

I dunno, I think this arc was still a bit better than ALO by a long shot, but still lacking a bit when it came to being enveloped in this world like SAO did. Oh well, time to wait at the cliff for next saturday!...sorta.

Subitai

I keep forgetting about this thread.

Anyway, I thought she was going to level up and be able to use her gun w/ out fear. She sort of did that.

After reading all your spoilers, I'm looking forward to what is coming up.

Episode 13

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HOLY SHIT SOMONE MUST HAVE INJECTED ME MY HEART AND LUNGS STOPPED

XD

This shit is amazing how do they keep topping themselves

Branduil

Sword Art Online II - 13

ijQ504ODldZk1.jpg

"You know, Sinon, we really are Sword Art Online II - Phantom Bullet"

And so we come to it at last. The moment that anybody who has the roughest idea of how Reki Kawahara writes could have predicted. I mean, I talked about it before this even happened, and yet I'm still amazed at how transparently all of his male characters fall into the same characters. If you are an important male character in SAO, and you are romantically interested in any of Kirito's harem, you will turn out to be a deranged stalker/rapist. That's just how it is.

Like I said before, it's very telling how the older, and for the purposes of the show asexual, Kayaba, who killed thousands of people, is still depicted as dignified and noble, while the subsequent villains who threaten to "steal" Kirito's possessions are always depicted as irredeemable sociopaths who are reduced to babbling, creepy weirdos by the end of the story.

Corgi

Banned
so wait... why didn't the magic drug not work on Sinon the first time? Was it because of kirito's lap magic?

Wiktor

Hey, Kirito...what about that police you were supposed to call buddy? :D
And why is everybody screaming in pain when getting hit in VR? :D

Still, it's so ridiculous that I can't stop watching it. The very definition of guilty pleasure.

BsYG4hbCUAEVKKc.png
Byk6Mq1IUAA9jgM.png

Shinkawa is pretty underrated. Im glad the character designer gave him such a good look and good smile to go with his great personality. It is too bad, that like in ALfheim Online the femChars best friend eventually gets pushed aside for Kirito. Personally Id go with Shinkawa over Kirito at this point due to at least him always being their to push Sinon along through her crisis. The whole situation could have been avoided if only people had taken time to give him some much needed attention and hugs.

Id have been angered and mad if I had been a participant of Bullet of Bullets 3 and saw this conclusion though.

JoeFu

Banned
This show is comedy of the year. Not sure I laughed at anything harder than the events that transpired this latest episode.

Hexa

I just realized that they're probably going to drag Mother's Rosario on for 8+ episodes.
To put that into perspective, GGO was about 500 pages in 14 episodes and slow as hell at points. Mother's Rosario is about 200 pages and will go on for 200.

V9OBuoT.gif

It would have been the perfect candidate for a movie T_T. Screw it, I'm holding out hope that the rest of the season will be fillers based on Calibur or Girl Ops or something and there'll be a movie for Mother's Rosario.

Wiktor

I just realized that they're probably going to drag Mother's Rosario on for 8+ episodes.
To put that into perspective, GGO was about 500 pages in 14 episodes and slow as hell at points. Mother's Rosario is about 200 pages and will go on for 200.

V9OBuoT.gif

It would have been the perfect candidate for a movie T_T. Screw it, I'm holding out hope that the rest of the season will be fillers based on Calibur or Girl Ops or something and there'll be a movie for Mother's Rosario.
THey should make a movie out of the SAO novel the Kino no Tabi author is writting.

Ep 13

Did the show really need
yet another ridiculously over-the-top antagonist that goes downright yandere on a helpless female character? Seriously, it feels like SAO not only tries to make Kirito look good and forces everybody else into one-dimensional roles that end up having no inference on the plot, but the fact that they went for yet another campy rape-y antagonist that had to be stopped by Kiri-sama sounds like a particularly bad joke...

I'm starting to think that the author got attacked by too many losers/wannabe-grapes who happened to be gamers.

K.Sabot

Aight I watched this episode on accident and only have seen like 4 episodes of season 1.

Is this as good as it gets, or should I at least watch Season 2?

I almost died from laughter, even without any context.

Lucent

Neither arcs after SAO were as good as the first one. I still enjoyed them, but not as much as the first. The first one had you on edge because dying actually mattered. In the second one, you can die as much as you want. Doesn't matter. Respawn and try again. This one, okay it's still mostly that but some guy can supposedly kill you with an online gun. lol. What got me this arc was that it took forever just to get to where they did. Really dragged on.

Mendrox

Aight I watched this episode on accident and only have seen like 4 episodes of season 1.

Is this as good as it gets, or should I at least watch Season 2?

I almost died from laughter, even without any context.

The first episodes of SAO aren't bad. So A) You are trolling and think they sucked cause of opinions of others B) You don't like it at all and should just not watch it further

It has its bad times, but also some good times. If you don't have anything to do you should watch it for rather good animation/soundtrack/waifus (and for the last 2 episodes of an arc cause they are always funny except the first arc).

Edit: I misread that you watched THIS episode. It isn't as bad as this episode...not always. Watch it for the boobs.

I don't get the hate this show gets. It's not high art, but it's entertaining and rather spot on in some cases. -shrug- will watch and not hate watch. Enjoying the ride.

Wiktor

Neither arcs after SAO were as good as the first one. I still enjoyed them, but not as much as the first. The first one had you on edge because dying actually mattered. In the second one, you can die as much as you want. Doesn't matter. Respawn and try again. This one, okay it's still mostly that but some guy can supposedly kill you with an online gun. lol. What got me this arc was that it took forever just to get to where they did. Really dragged on.

This arc's story was really nice. It would just work better in 6 episodes instead of half a season.If they wanted to pad they should have padded with real world (showing the effects the killings had, developing the villains more etc) instead of spending the time in that damn cave.

Hexa

Haven't seen the new episode yet but:

Sword Art Online II - Caliber and Mother Rosario Arc - Key Visual
- Caliber Arc will start on October 18 and Mother Rosario Arc on November 8.
- Haruka Tomatsu will sing OP Theme with LiSA for the ED Theme.

10683635_518364428267145_4626489151373508550_o.jpg

So whats going to happen next week? Is GGO going to go on for another episode? idk lol

Hopes of a Mother's Rosario movie dashed. :(
Regardless, the rest of this season is going to be super different and super interesting if A-1 pulls it off.

Haven't seen the new episode yet but:

Sword Art Online II - Caliber and Mother Rosario Arc - Key Visual
- Caliber Arc will start on October 18 and Mother Rosario Arc on November 8.
- Haruka Tomatsu will sing OP Theme with LiSA for the ED Theme.

10683635_518364428267145_4626489151373508550_o.jpg

So whats going to happen next week? Is GGO going to go on for another episode? idk lol

Hopes of a Mother's Rosario movie dashed. :(
Regardless, the rest of this season is going to be super different and super interesting if A-1 pulls it off.

I figured GGO was wrapping up in the episode this week... Maybe a 1 week break?

GGO ended. Next week they're airing a recap special for GGO. Episode 14.5 - Debriefing.

That's disappointing I thought at least they might go and do the part that was cut from the first series since it directly relates to the Calibur arc. I just hope they have enough time to do Mother's Rosario properly its by and far the best book.

Hexa

That's disappointing I thought at least they might go and do the part that was cut from the first series since it directly relates to the Calibur arc. I just hope they have enough time to do Mother's Rosario properly its by and far the best book.

They have more than enough time. MR was pretty short.

Hycran

Banned
GGO ended. Next week they're airing a recap special for GGO. Episode 14.5 - Debriefing.

That's what this episode seemed to accomplish. If they did another episode it should focus on what the bit players did during the arc.

Here's a question though. During the final battle, desu~gun changed mid combat to his sword. Kirito clearly has the ability to dual wield given the small nature of his firearm. Why doesn't everyone have a sword for close quarters combat? I guess some people elect to use machine pistols or something, but clearly you can have multiple weapons... couldn't hurt to have what is essentially a one hit kill weapon on hand

Hexa

Just watched it. Pretty good wrap up. Not sure that a recap is absolutely necessary but I'll watch it nevertheless. Onwards towards Caliber.

Branduil

Sword Art Online II - 14

iOLxowdvseYXP.jpg

CONGRATULATIONS CARNE ASADA

One of the few actually interesting things about this show is that it's an awful show with talented people working on it. So you have stuff like some great character animation/acting in the last scene, and yet it's still an over-the-top schmaltz fest. And there's also the terrible backstory dump scene where our heroes discuss the dark and disturbed motives of the antagonists in a brightly-lit cake shop while sipping tea.

I also love how Kirito failed to disclose his relationship status to Sinon.

So the two killer brothers were sent to some hospital instead of fucking prison?!

And whats with Kirito not introducing Asuna as his girlfriend and just as his friend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom