• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online II |OT| Two Years Worth of Anticipation

Status
Not open for further replies.

TUSR

Banned
So the two killer brothers were sent to some hospital instead of fucking prison?!

And whats with Kirito not introducing Asuna as his girlfriend and just as his friend?

well, they got sent to a mental institution from what the CR translation stated. These guys are seriously fucked in the head, and im sure the youngest brother is a juvenile still.

Corgi

Banned
So the two killer brothers were sent to some hospital instead of fucking prison?!

And whats with Kirito not introducing Asuna as his girlfriend and just as his friend?

if kirito is batman, it all makes sense.

Batman_Arkham_Asylum_Television_Credits.jpg

The discussion at the cake shop and thereafter is very different in the novel...

In the novels Kirito asks Shion to come meet Asuna and co because he wants her to explain that there wasn't anything going on between them because of the recording there is a misunderstanding with Asuna and its caused some problems(although I don't believe he ever states her by name)
I assume the episode did it in the sake of time or to simply things since we the viewer already know they are together.

Collete

You know after seeing Shinon and Kirito, I think they would have made a vastly better couple than Asuna and Kirito in my opinion.
They both experienced the same shit together and experienced the same pain. Asuna is just kinda oblivious to all the pain she experienced in SAO and even ALO, unlike Kirito. It just seems weird that they are a couple and Shinon is left getting the shaft from Kirito. But what do I know...

SmokeMaxX

You know after seeing Shinon and Kirito, I think they would have made a vastly better couple than Asuna and Kirito in my opinion.
They both experienced the same shit together and experienced the same pain. Asuna is just kinda oblivious to all the pain she experienced in SAO and even ALO, unlike Kirito. It just seems weird that they are a couple and Shinon is left getting the shaft from Kirito. But what do I know...

I'm sure they'll all end up getting the shaft from Kirito.

Kinyou

Haven't seen the new episode yet but:

Sword Art Online II - Caliber and Mother Rosario Arc - Key Visual
- Caliber Arc will start on October 18 and Mother Rosario Arc on November 8.
- Haruka Tomatsu will sing OP Theme with LiSA for the ED Theme.

10683635_518364428267145_4626489151373508550_o.jpg

So whats going to happen next week? Is GGO going to go on for another episode? idk lol

Hopes of a Mother's Rosario movie dashed. :(
Regardless, the rest of this season is going to be super different and super interesting if A-1 pulls it off.

Is that Kirito with the purple hair? Is his avatar now 100% female?

thomaser

Am I the only one who thought the pics in the OP was official artwork? And then saw the trailer and got a little bit disappointed?

Sinfamy

I hoped Kirito didn't remember the name, I hoped Kirito was wrong about the way the killings occurred, and I hoped that Kirito actually got jabbed with the needle. But why go deep.

I hoped Kirito didn't remember the name, I hoped Kirito was wrong about the way the killings occurred, and I hoped that Kirito actually got jabbed with the needle. But why go deep.

I haven't read up through to the later books yet but from what I understand...

Kirito is eventually attacked by the person who got away in this episode and goes into a coma
I cannot confirm that by any means (someone else here likely can) just what I herd from someone else.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
That was beautiful.

FIrst we learn that friend-zone boy isn't just pathetic in real life with girls, he's pathetic online as well and got major trolled. Though it is kind of obvious he is pathetic because he isn't Kirito and that's basically the default state for anyone who isn't our manly lord. But yeah, his whole motive to murder is because someone lied to him in a game. Pro Tip sunshine, someone also lied to you when they said your haircut suited you, did you murder them too? And holy smokes, you're wearing the same outfit in every scene. Stop wasting your money on virtual Harry Potter capes and sort your real life out first. Well at least he'll be wearing something different in that hospital they sent you to. Seriously, I don't be constantly told told how great Kirito is show, I already know. There's no need for these waste of space lumps of man meat to waste my screentime to prove how much better you are than the average man.

Also I think we should take a moment to appreciate that he got decked by some decks. Thank you Japan for the pun that you didn't even know about because it relies on urban English slang.

People may complain that hospital isn't an appropriate punishment. But you have to realise that his life is basically punishment enough. He's never gonna get better from that.

Sinfamy

That was beautiful.

FIrst we learn that friend-zone boy isn't just pathetic in real life with girls, he's pathetic online as well and got major trolled. Though it is kind of obvious he is pathetic because he isn't Kirito and that's basically the default state for anyone who isn't our manly lord. But yeah, his whole motive to murder is because someone lied to him in a game. Pro Tip sunshine, someone also lied to you when they said your haircut suited you, did you murder them too? And holy smokes, you're wearing the same outfit in every scene. Stop wasting your money on virtual Harry Potter capes and sort your real life out first. Well at least he'll be wearing something different in that hospital they sent you to. Seriously, I don't be constantly told told how great Kirito is show, I already know. There's no need for these waste of space lumps of man meat to waste my screentime to prove how much better you are than the average man.

Also I think we should take a moment to appreciate that he got decked by some decks. Thank you Japan for the pun that you didn't even know about because it relies on urban English slang.

People may complain that hospital isn't an appropriate punishment. But you have to realise that his life is basically punishment enough. He's never gonna get better from that.

Dayum.

Corgi

Banned
are they even dating irl?

i've married girls and guys i know irl in mmos for the stat bonuses and items lol. who cares, its a vidya game

kaiiri

best way to read the light novels? would love to read the more detailed backgrounds of the story. I remember reading somewhere like in ALO when he was charging up the tree thing solo against all those sword angel guys that the light novel talked and described his mind set more so (like why he smiled when fighting them all) type of thing.

There is always one shot in each episode that makes me question why I continue to watch. The bathtub scene was that shot that just made me shake my head

best way to read the light novels? would love to read the more detailed backgrounds of the story. I remember reading somewhere like in ALO when he was charging up the tree thing solo against all those sword angel guys that the light novel talked and described his mind set more so (like why he smiled when fighting them all) type of thing.

I believe the first (2 maybe) books have been translated and released with the rest planned to come out in the future. Books 1-9 (maybe 10) were completely translated by Fans before they were licensed but I don't know that anyone is still hosting them on any sites directly anymore (although there are always ways ;) )

Episode 15 was pretty good, they took about 5 minutes to explain Tonkii and what should have happened in the first season of SAO, didn't need to explain more then that really but the novels do a lot better of explaining it. The new opening was great and I loved the part at the end where the flash through the different struggles Kirito has had while also flashing by many of the events and people that got them to where they are now, its a really nice look back in just a few seconds of the opening...

So Calibur arc is what 2 or 3 episodes? I'm wondering if they did a new opening for those episodes and we'll get a new animation once Mothers Rosario starts since outside of some brief cameos its all about Asuna and the new characters.

Branduil

Sword Art Online II - 15

Not even Klein can save this dull episode full of clunky exposition. It's amazing how bad this show is at basic elements of fiction. First we get yet another narration-filled flashback to something we probably should have witnessed in the original series, and then the last third of the episode is swallowed up by an infodump from an NPC featuring lifeless storyboarding and almost no animation.

blakep267

There is always one shot in each episode that makes me question why I continue to watch. The bathtub scene was that shot that just made me shake my head

Yeah.. I couldn't help but laugh. I could understand if that was the tone of the show. But it was just kinda random. Its a shame what has happened to the character of Asuna

Corgi

Banned
poor lizbeth, getting hit in the face by budget hammer.

It's hilarious how much better log horizon was about mmo goodness this week vs this.

Has the writer even played a mmo before?

may update completely changed how gameplay works. Game balance whats that?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Lucky for them this MMORPG has voice acting. Image if this episode was 20 minutes of them reading text boxes.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Lucky for them this MMORPG has voice acting. Image if this episode was 20 minutes of them reading text boxes.

At least you'd be able to skip through 20 minutes of text.

Unskippable cutscenes smh.

Looking at you, FFXIV.

Hexa

Subtle references to next arc. Cool.
Also, both this arc and the arc after are super different from each other and the arcs so far. Don't take this arc seriously and focus on how ridiculous it is. Especially Klein. He makes this arc awesome. Next arc is super serious and deep and stuff. And the author actually pulls it off well IMO. Mostly by making Kirito a supporting character. :)

NeonZ

Sword Art Online II - 15

Not even Klein can save this dull episode full of clunky exposition. It's amazing how bad this show is at basic elements of fiction. First we get yet another narration-filled flashback to something we probably should have witnessed in the original series, and then the last third of the episode is swallowed up by an infodump from an NPC featuring lifeless storyboarding and almost no animation.

I think the flashback was actually supposed to take place shortly before this arc. It's still stupid that it was shown as narration with stills, rather than actually scripted as an anime though.

Hexa

I think the flashback was actually supposed to take place shortly before this arc. It's still stupid that it was shown as narration with stills, rather than actually scripted as an anime though.

Nah, he's right. The flashback happens in the middle of the original Alfheim arc. Like in the middle of when Kirito and Leafa are on their quest to the world tree to save Asuna. That's why they couldn't get the sword as soon as they found it. Higher priorities.

Corgi

Banned
Nah, he's right. The flashback happens in the middle of the original Alfheim arc. Like in the middle of when Kirito and Leafa are on their quest to the world tree to save Asuna. That's why they couldn't get the sword as soon as they found it. Higher priorities.

didn't he get some magic mcguffin sword anyhow to kill the rapist?

At least they're back to using swords again instead of guns, that by itself makes it more interesting for me personally lol.

But Sino's 2 week old character going on high end raid with Kirigods friends? Doesn't make much sense.

Hexa

didn't he get some magic mcguffin sword anyhow to kill the rapist?

IIRC Oberon tried to summon Excalibur, but he's been set to a player character by Kirito, so it doesn't work. So instead Kirito summon Excalibur, gives it to Oberon, sets the pain level to max, and then fights him. Oberon has the strongest weapon in the game, and Kirito has a plain old sword, but Kirito still defeats him, which is supposed to show how pathetic he was for relying on system commands and that he really had no power. False king on a stolen throne and all that. The sword disappears with him.

Corgi

Banned
IIRC Oberon tried to summon Excalibur, but he's been set to a player character by Kirito, so it doesn't work. So instead Kirito summon Excalibur, gives it to Oberon, sets the pain level to max, and then fights him. Oberon has the strongest weapon in the game, and Kirito has a plain old sword, but Kirito still defeats him, which is supposed to show how pathetic he was for relying on system commands and that he really had no power. False king on a stolen throne and all that. The sword disappears with him.

yeah. would make sense in other context... but you are in a video game... so the whole premise is really dumb lol.

As a mechanics guy, i'm extremely disappointed that this series never really bothered going that deep into mechanics and most victories are done through complete bullshit.

It doesn't have to be as detailed as log horizon, but kirito showing some aptitude would be nice instead of just nonsense of 'I have faster reflexes than the system' or 'I can sense killing intent... in a video game"

At least they're back to using swords again instead of guns, that by itself makes it more interesting for me personally lol.

But Sino's 2 week old character going on high end raid with Kirigods friends? Doesn't make much sense.

It's part of the character conversation between games, just like Kirito transferred into GGO with a really high level character (just with no money) Shinon basically did the same thing just from GGO>ALO. She mentions also the bow she has was made by Lizbeth as well which is where she gets her gear.

Aldurin

Neo Member
This feels like an area after the first "final" boss like how
Persona 4
does it, especially with the holiday timing and everything, except the stakes are weird and dumb as Kirito sets out with his harem (and Klein, though depending on how loose your shipping is he might not need distinction) to save possibly-sentient AI people from bullshit. Which gets even more awkward since Kirito can't say no if his adopted AI daughter is right there for a "well they're computer programs, so they don't matter" excuse that would inevitably come up.

It's part of the character conversation between games, just like Kirito transferred into GGO with a really high level character (just with no money) Shinon basically did the same thing just from GGO>ALO. She mentions also the bow she has was made by Lizbeth as well which is where she gets her gear.

I guess Kirito n friends must have just pimped her out with high level gear so she can play with them.

-Horizon-

Subtle references to next arc. Cool.
Also, both this arc and the arc after are super different from each other and the arcs so far. Don't take this arc seriously and focus on how ridiculous it is. Especially Klein. He makes this arc awesome. Next arc is super serious and deep and stuff. And the author actually pulls it off well IMO. Mostly by making Kirito a supporting character. :)
Sounds good :D

Aldurin

Neo Member
Can we also talk about how this episode used Kara no Kyoukai's battle theme for the flight scene? Because it feels like a dick move to people who are tolerating the poorly written parts of this anime only to be reminded of a masterpiece that has run its course already.

Corgi

Banned
I'm kinda scared now yall mention the next arc is serious and deep.

Wasn't that what the guy was trying to do with GGO?

Even the animators were bored that they just kept the camera on sinon's ass the whole time.

NeonZ

Maybe that's the case in the light novels, but the anime here seemed to completely ignore that when presenting those events already. Nothing was said about that taking place during the previous arc, so I don't see why it couldn't have been a story placed right before this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom