• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online II |OT| Two Years Worth of Anticipation

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Let us have a moment of silence for Agil, who died and was replaced by a mannequin in the background.

DrkSage

Kirito is straight up ballin, Sinon is thirsty as hell and this episode was awesome. I'm surprised asuna hasn't stabbed a bitch yet.

Klein is really annoying. Kirito should stop being friends with him. Had to laugh at his waifu turning into a giant hairy ass Thor lol

Enjoyed this little arc a lot. Fun stuff.

Honestly SAO is finally embracing what it always should have been, male fantasy harem action. The first season goes out of it's way to introduce potential waifu... only to then ditch them until the final episode. The girls should have joined up with Kirito and basically formed an unofficial clan vying for his love while they worked together to survive the game.

That would have been so awesome. The murders and raping and stuff really tainted the series. Would have been nice to have some sort of light hearted fantasy harem action series. Is that what Log Horizon basically is?

Then make sure to enjoy this arc and the next one. :)

:D

The harem stuff is unfortunately pretty much over completely after this arc. :(

D: !!!!

SRG01

But Freyja was supposed to be

I mean

She was

But
Thor can turn back into Freyja at anytime right? So elf waifu still good. Right? RIGHT??

At least there's Skuld-chan waifu...unless...oh god I don't want think about it anymore!

That part
is directly lifted from Norse mythology. Even one of the commenters on CR spotted it last week.

Hexa

That would have been so awesome. The murders and raping and stuff really tainted the series.

It would have been awesome to have more arcs like this and the next one.
The author decided to go in the completely opposite direction though. :(

Corgi

Banned
idk, the best part and i assume the reason season 1 got so popular was because of the YOLO rules.

Theres just no tension or anything in these arcs besides the badly forced one in GGO.

is GGO never coming back? Are they ever gonna play different games or is it just ALO and other fantasy style stuff from now one?

idk, the best part and i assume the reason season 1 got so popular was because of the YOLO rules.

Theres just no tension or anything in these arcs besides the badly forced one in GGO.

is GGO never coming back? Are they ever gonna play different games or is it just ALO and other fantasy style stuff from now one?

GGO is done, Kirito only joined to check out Death gun and Shinon joined Kirito+co on ALO. Rest of this season will take place within the real world/ALO but it will be shifting perspectives next week.

Hexa

ALO/Real Life for next arc. Though pretty different from Calibur.

Next season takes place in a different world that's very different from all the worlds so far and will eventually become just as intense if not more intense than the first season. Events in GGO/ALO will still be happening, as well as Aincrad mattering again at points, but not all that much and they're not really important so maybe the anime will just skip them.
Next season is really long though and not actually over yet so they might split it up into two seasons.

Hexa

So far so good. Very nostalgic. Much feels.

Seriously though that was great. I was somewhat worried about it being too slow, but they've spaced it out nicely so far, and if they keep it up it'll be great.

Some parts weren't conveyed completely clearly, but they alluded to stuff that still needs to be completely developed so its fine. Today was set up part 1. At this pace there needs to be one more episode of essentially set up before things really start rolling.

I feel they needed a new OP though. Or at least much larger changes to the visuals. The ED was so great though.

Looking forward to next weeks episode with great anticipation. :)

Was really hoping they'd update the opening more (at least change the battle animation to Asuna/Kaguya and co and the final part towards the end being about Asuna's trials rather then Kirito's) but yeah gotta admit this is likely been my favorite episode so far of SAO2, although it did leave out some stuff
specifically with Asuna's mother largely being the main antagonist for this arc... although I hesitate to actually use the word antagonist XD
I did like we got to see a lot of the background information about 'Absolute sword' specifically a small part of the actual fight between AS and a few of the cast which were only ever referenced in the novels which was a nice added touch.

Overall though I just really liked how much of a feel good episode this was, from Asuna and Kirito
rebuying their home on the 22nd floor to the relaxing atmosphere (where everyone falls asleep because Kirito looks way to damn comfortable XD).

Like I said before Asuna is the main character for this arc and its really nice to see Kirito say or do almost nothing the entire time.

I think GGO ain't completely over. And LC members still exist.

Well if you want to know...
GGO is indeed over, but you are correct that another LC member is still around and if we get a third season then you might see what happens with that...

Corgi

Banned
quite confused about sword skills... so now more hits = better? That really the only parameter in this?

The only mmo that ever had something like that was maplestory because the damage cap wasn't impossible to obtain, so if more hits at max damage = better dps (though they raised the damage cap considerably since).

Curious if you can fight melee while casting magic. Asuna seems a bit OP, being able to heal, dps, support, all fairly decently.

Hexa

Was really hoping they'd update the opening more (at least change the battle animation to Asuna/Kaguya and co and the final part towards the end being about Asuna's trials rather then Kirito's) but yeah gotta admit this is likely been my favorite episode so far of SAO2, although it did leave out some stuff
specifically with Asuna's mother largely being the main antagonist for this arc... although I hesitate to actually use the word antagonist XD
I did like we got to see a lot of the background information about 'Absolute sword' specifically a small part of the actual fight between AS and a few of the cast which were only ever referenced in the novels which was a nice added touch.

Like I said before Asuna is the main character for this arc and its really nice to see Kirito say or do almost nothing the entire time.

This episode was all back story for in ALO. I think the next episode is going to be mostly back story for real life. The stuff Asuna has to go through with her family looking down on her and being forced into marriage interviews was lightly touched on, but they're definitely going to go more in depth into that. The scene with her first confrontation with her mother due to being late for dinner is probably how next episode will start, so they may merge it into that. They totally took the explanation of what Original Sword Skills are out even though they did reference them in a really strange way as far as I can see. :/
Kirito still gets his cool moment though. :p

Edit:

quite confused about sword skills... so now more hits = better? That really the only parameter in this?

The only mmo that ever had something like that was maplestory because the damage cap wasn't impossible to obtain, so if more hits at max damage = better dps (though they raised the damage cap considerably since).

Curious if you can fight melee while casting magic. Asuna seems a bit OP, being able to heal, dps, support, all fairly decently.

I just complained about how they skipped the Original System Skill explanation lol.
Number of hits isn't the only parameter but its definitely a major parameter as two hits already automatically means 2x damage. 11 hits is 11x damage.
Original Sword Skills aren't normal skills. They're special in that you have to come up with them yourself, in that you have to be able to do them even without system assist. Once you're able to do that, you can store them, and then use system assist to do them, or even give the ability to others. Basic movements however all register as moves that already exist in the system however, so you need something complex in order to make it an OSS.
The reason more hits is important is that after using a sword skill, the user is essentially temporarily stunned and unable to move or take any action. But once you have a skill going it can't be blocked. Thus having more hits means you can do a finisher much earlier. For two people with the exact same stats but one having a 5 hit OSS and the other with 11, the guy with 5 would have to get 6 more hits in to be able to do a finisher, so they'd be at a disadvantage.
Also Asuna's character isn't very strong melee wise. She's the Berserk Healer because she essentially spends time she can't heal fighting in the front lines, but she doesn't have that much damage nor can she take much damage. Like she made a separate character for actually DPSing (as was shown).

This was explained in the light novels, someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think it was that when you are making a sword skill you have a set amount of time that you can perform any of the sword skills (say 8 seconds although I don't think thats the exact time) in those 8 seconds you can do as many kinds of attacks as you want within that period of time and before 'Absolute Sword' the max was thought to be 8, but now AS made one with 11 which is why its a big deal since most people likely didn't think it was possible to do that within the set timeframe. Again I may be remembering it incorrectly but I'm pretty sure that's how it worked.

Corgi

Banned
Sounds like the author played too much marvel vs capcom.

It sounds ok on paper, but being able to auto cast it later or just teach someone else it seems pretty dumb. This also seems like the first time pvp actually meant something. Are there pvp gear or something? Being able to use assists at all in pvp sounds pretty dumb now that I think about it. Why not just fight it out with actual skill?

Hexa

Sounds like the author played too much marvel vs capcom.

It sounds ok on paper, but being able to auto cast it later or just teach someone else it seems pretty dumb. This also seems like the first time pvp actually meant something. Are there pvp gear or something? Being able to use assists at all in pvp sounds pretty dumb now that I think about it. Why not just fight it out with actual skill?

There is no mention of separate PVP/PVE gear. Nor would it really be needed as far as I can see. There are very few stats compared to most modern MMOs.
And doing things without system assist would result in no one playing those games. Learning how to actually use a weapon enough for actual combat takes lots of time and hard work. The SAO folks are used to it because they were stuck in the game for so long and picked it up. Suguha has years of experience training in Kendo so she can manage. But most normal gamers don't want to put in that type of time commitment to something that isn't all that fun. Most people don't even learn how to fly properly and just use system assist for that too.

Hexa

so pvp is pretty much just whoever has the best OSS and can land one first?

Kind of. Using an OSS is supposed to be the end goal, but you can only use it effectively when you've already brought the opponents health down to the point that it would finish them off. Otherwise you'll be stunned and they'll beat the crap out of you. So its a finishing move that'll completely backfire if it doesn't finish them off.
Of course you don't have to use it though, like Absolute Sword so far.
And then there's Kirito who can combo sword skills together and avoid the stun effectively making him invincible, though he never uses that in duels.

Hexa

Great episode, thought they're moving a bit slower than I thought they would but so far so good.

New OP looks awesome too. Wonder why they didn't just use that from last episode. I'm not sure how anime development cycles work. Is it possible that it wasn't done? Otherwise it doesn't really make sense why not.

Great episode, thought they're moving a bit slower than I thought they would but so far so good.

New OP looks awesome too. Wonder why they didn't just use that from last episode. I'm not sure how anime development cycles work. Is it possible that it wasn't done? Otherwise it doesn't really make sense why not.

It felt like they didn't want to spoil to much and used last week as a transition (I think it started with saying Mother's Rosario arc in the beginning now too).

Episode was great, that's the kind of fight animations I've been missing this season with the close hits, quick counters and what not. Very awesome. I always loved Yuuki and can't wait for the rest of the story to pick up. Loved the scene between Asuna and her mother, was so cold just like I felt when I was reading it originally. They are certainly staying pretty true to the book so far and I really like seeing what Asuna is really going through with her family, and how she feels like shes not the strong warrior she was in SAO and I love how its all delt with in the end but I don't want to spoil anyone >:X

I really want to say to all the other LN readers... I really don't want anyone to spoil what happens in this arc for anyone who hasn't read the novels, can we agree to not talk about some of the big stuff until it happens or at the very least mark those spoilers more so then more spoilers (seriously you don't want to ruin this for yourself!)

Corgi

Banned
reminds me of a friend who got engaged until she realized the guy's family side are insanely traditional. (need 5 kids maxed. have to be a house wife and can't work etc).

Surprise surprise is the show pretty decent with less kirito.

like the new gal too.

DrkSage

Awesome episode, although what kirito said about zekken left me scratching my head a little. I guess I'll understand a little further into this arc.

fertygo

The family drama is so cringe worthy, please tell me its leading to resolution that not made Asuna seem even more submissive.

Btw the swordfight is great.

Hypron

Wait a second, that episode was actually... Good? It went by really quickly, I was quite surprised when it ended. I liked the fight and the drama stuff wasn't completely eyerolling either (albeit a bit cliché).

Moaradin

This episode was good. Couldn't give any more shits about the family drama stuff, but the fight was good. This arc also seems to focus less on Kirito which is a good sign.

Hexa

It felt like they didn't want to spoil to much and used last week as a transition (I think it started with saying Mother's Rosario arc in the beginning now too).

Episode was great, that's the kind of fight animations I've been missing this season with the close hits, quick counters and what not. Very awesome. I always loved Yuuki and can't wait for the rest of the story to pick up. Loved the scene between Asuna and her mother, was so cold just like I felt when I was reading it originally. They are certainly staying pretty true to the book so far and I really like seeing what Asuna is really going through with her family, and how she feels like shes not the strong warrior she was in SAO and I love how its all delt with in the end but I don't want to spoil anyone >:X

I really want to say to all the other LN readers... I really don't want anyone to spoil what happens in this arc for anyone who hasn't read the novels, can we agree to not talk about some of the big stuff until it happens or at the very least mark those spoilers more so then more spoilers (seriously you don't want to ruin this for yourself!)

Of course. This arc especially is super reliant on not getting spoiled so anyone watching this, don't even think about looking at spoilers or it'll ruin everything. Seriously.

Awesome episode, although what kirito said about zekken left me scratching my head a little. I guess I'll understand a little further into this arc.

Thought the same thing the first time I read the books, it will be explained and thats all I dare say >:X

Lazlo

Couple days late, but that episode was great! The scene with Yuuki and her mother made me feel uncomfortable.

So can you not daigo moment parry an OSS?

Yuuki actually does this. She parries (or maybe just dodges I'd have to rewatch the episode again to be sure) one of Asuna's attacks and Asuna even comments that she(Yuuki) can see it, Kirito looks surprised when it happens too.

Hexa

Yuuki actually does this. She parries (or maybe just dodges I'd have to rewatch the episode again to be sure) one of Asuna's attacks and Asuna even comments that she(Yuuki) can see it, Kirito looks surprised when it happens too.

You're right. She parries Quadruple Pain, a 4 hit Sword Skill, though a carry over skill from SAO, not an OSS, but other than how they're made OSS and carry over skills are the pretty much the same mechanics wise right?

I was curious if the flashback stuff with the
laughing coffin fight
was originally written in the light novels along with the rest of the Aincrad arc but never adapted into the first season, or if it was written as a sort of retcon for Kirito's character in Gun Gale.

Hexa

I was curious if the flashback stuff with the
laughing coffin fight
was originally written in the light novels along with the rest of the Aincrad arc but never adapted into the first season, or if it was written as a sort of retcon for Kirito's character in Gun Gale.

Just answering your question. No spoilers beyond that:
It was originally written as a flashback in the novels. Laughing coffin is barely mentioned in the original novels. Most of their involvement was added in later novels. Like minor mentions here and there and the thing with Kuradeel is pretty much it. The anime actually gave them more screen time. Even "A Murder Case in the Area", the story where they fake player kills in safe areas and Laughing Coffin comes out at the end never happened in the original two novel SAO arc in the novels. It was added as a short story much later on, published in volume 8 after Mother's Rosario.

Oh wow. That's really interesting. That clears things up 'cause I was curious whether the flashback was a contrived way of getting Kirito to relate to Sinon, but I guess the anime's just being pretty straightforward in adapting what the novels did. Thanks!

Oh wow. That's really interesting. That clears things up 'cause I was curious whether the flashback was a contrived way of getting Kirito to relate to Sinon, but I guess the anime's just being pretty straightforward in adapting what the novels did. Thanks!

It IS a contrived way of getting Kirito to relate to Sinon and the anime IS more or less doing a straightforward adaptation of the novels :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom