• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales from Twitter: Is Harada is the new Kamiya?! (Tekken 7 trolling)

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Ah, the "slots" argument. Even if Chloe was purged from existence there no guarantee your favorite character(s) would get in. Dislike her because you don't like her design, fighting style, etc. Hating on her because "she took a slot" is a waste of your time and energy.

I'm not. But if we're going to be getting new characters and losing old characters, then I'd rather that those new characters represent something that isn't already there. We've already got four very anime-esque perpetual teenager fighters in Tekken 7. In fact, not counting Chloe, there are only two other females confirmed for the game besides those four.

This whole situation is hilarious. I've never seen such an asinine reaction for one character in a game with such a large cast.

I can't think of anything creepier (that is legal) than catgirl fetishes.

The catgirl fetish isn't even a tiny drop in the ocean of "legal creepiness" (whatever that may be).

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
This whole situation is hilarious. I've never seen such an asinine reaction for one character in a game with such a large cast.

The cast is shrinking this time around. I wouldn't mind Chloe in the slightest if she were added in Tekken Tag 2 or something, but with a smaller cast, I feel as though ever character ought to count for something. Harada said something about having a more well-rounded roster, but Chloe seems like just another character added to the stack of what we've already got plenty of.

Lucky Chloe is funny to me.
Is she any worse than a Panda, Kangaroo, Reptile, etc.?

She's a lot closer to the paint-by-numbers cosplayer characters that have come out over the years, which means that she gets to act as 2014 & 2015's embodiment of Japan's cynical, exploitative approach to character design - and some GAFfers and other forum dwellers, with their keen insight and superior tastes, were compelled to point that out. It's good, too, because I'm sure no one would have figured out that she's lifting stuff from nerd merch in Japan until they heard it with a good layer of pseudo-detached contempt on top.

She's bad because there's a hard limit on the roster, and she's taking up someone's spot, somehow. She's worse because she's got nothing else to her - no sultry assassin shtick, no martial artist shtick, no rich kid shtick, no backstory contrivances cribbed from '60s sci-fi, cop, sports, or spy thrillers, nothing; somewhere along the line Harada must have confirmed that she's set in stone, because everyone's treating the character like she can't change in development, but I don't have the paperwork in front of me.

If you want to put it on a scale, Lucky Chloe's worse than every celebrity stand-in and the animals (even Gon; despite also being a bog-standard cutesy design, he gets a pass because he's just a novelty, and a cute one at that). She is, however, slightly above Combot. So that puts her around the same range as custom characters in terms of overall contempt.

Harada can fix this easily, though; I have it on good authority that he gives Chloe's cosplayer gimmick to a dude, or hardens her up with some stern expressions and a bit of muscle tone, she (or this figurative male cosplayer) will become a brilliant subversion of typical fighting game characters, even if nothing else about the character is changed in any way.

Sayah

I miss when Tekken was nothing but respectable characters like Kuma, Panda, Alex, Roger, and Roger Jr.

And they kept it realistic with the Jacks, Combot, and Mokujin

What happened to anime-free characters like Lars, Raven and Alisa

Now we have to deal with this girl who wears clothes I don't like. Way to drop the ball, Harada

Next you'll tell me she shoots lasers out of her forehead or some goddamn impossible shit like that

Hahahahaha.

Tekken: Keeping It Real (1994 - 2014)

Sayah

Listen pal, I'll have you know that the kangaroo and dinosaur are genetically engineered to be fighters.

Ahem,

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Tekken culture (I'm an expert), but fighter viability is a huge part of it. It's not like it is in Dead or Alive where you can become a character by being cute. If you add a character who is cute and nothing else in Tekken, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is to take her out of the US version.

What this means is the Westerner public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Tekken for any system, nor will they purchase any of Harada's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Harada has alienated an entire market with this move.

Harada, publicly apologize and cancel Chloe for the US version of Tekken 7 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Please understand.
I can't stop laughing

roknin

e26.jpg

I don't really get why there was a negative reaction to her reveal.

Because the gaming community, much as I love it, can be unbelievably temperamental, childish and outright stupid at times.

Sometimes it's worthwhile and makes sense. Other times, especially with gems like "please remove this character from the game because I dunna' like it", it's obnoxious as fuck.

Paracelsus

So people are still comparing a very normally rendered raptor with boxing gloves with Chloe, who looks like what if someone got drunk and had fun with character customization.

I didn't see many if any at all calling for her to be removed or saying Tekken is now completely ruined just because of her. We were just saying she's lame and part of the new direction for the series we didn't like. In her thread on this forum there's honestly more people freaking out at people supposedly freaking out than there are hating the character.

Nightbird

Listen pal, I'll have you know that the kangaroo and dinosaur are genetically engineered to be fighters.

Ahem,

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Tekken culture (I'm an expert), but fighter viability is a huge part of it. It's not like it is in Dead or Alive where you can become a character by being cute. If you add a character who is cute and nothing else in Tekken, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is to take her out of the US version.

What this means is the Westerner public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Tekken for any system, nor will they purchase any of Harada's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Harada has alienated an entire market with this move.

Harada, publicly apologize and cancel Chloe for the US version of Tekken 7 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Please understand.

I cant believe i haven't seen this earlier. Well done Bro!

677.gif

I didn't see many if any at all calling for her to be removed or saying Tekken is now completely ruined just because of her. We were just saying she's lame and part of the new direction for the series we didn't like. In her thread on this forum there's honestly more people freaking out at people supposedly freaking out than there are hating the character.
There were people on Twitter asking for her to be removed. And yes, they directed their tweets directly at Harada.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Harada's been doing this before, though I guess this is the first time it got "recognition" due to the "remove the character" comment.

Ahh but Polygon.

Was it more petty, stupid player asking one character they don't like (on a 40+ roaster) to be taken out of a game they don't own yet, or the director of the game trolling them ?

Geez, gamers can be such spoiled brat

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
I thought her design was pretty wtf on first reveal but I thought the same of Alisa when she was first announced. Now, she's one of my mains. I'm sure I'll be fine with Chloe too. I hope she isn't removed from U.S version. That will be pretty fucked up for the people who want to try playing with her.

Links_fantasy

I would like fighting games to equally represent, put in a catboy or guy in skimpy outfits for every catgirl or scantily dressed woman with oversized breasts.

Durante

Well done.

Been laughing pretty hard at all this. Has to be one of my favourite dev trolls. Been enjoying reading meltdowns from people convinced that neogaf has forced him to replace her with a muscular skinhead in the us version. lol at it making it to ign and polygon.

Wait, wait, wait, lemme get this straight

1. Some folks complain about this ridiculous character being in Tekken
  2. Harada makes an obvious joke basically calling anyone complaining a dudebro Westerner meathead
  3. Joke sails over the heads of many, who then not only take him seriously, but rather than realize he's insulted them, blame SJWs for it
Is that what I'm reading?

yes...it's hilarious. So much misdirected anger.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I don't think they're especially gifted at it.

It's that American journalists have no context for which Japanese developer is jokey and just assume every tweet from every Japanese developer is solemn information delivery because none of them are allowed to have a personality outside of their company's guidelines. Bombastic, troll-y developers are specifically an American invention because they follow Jaffe and Boon on twitter already.

The shitty thing about this is that, since Polygon either ignorantly or purposely jumped on this, Namco is going to clamp down on Harada saying what he wants. Because some people didn't understand a joke.

I dunno, they didn't clamp down when he used his Twitter account to pretend he'd disappeared from the office and none of his colleagues could locate him for a week.

DeaviL

Banned
As long as the arcade story is good/funny i wouldn't care if the next fighter was a tortoise with boxing gloves.
Wait no, that's awesome

I now want a Lucky Cloe outfit for all fighters.

CSX

Ahem,

Please understand.
I can't believe I lived to see the day Tekken being applied to this meme. Bravo sir

Ivan 3414

My issue with Lucky Chloe is that she looks completely ridiculous, not simply because she's a catgirl, but because she looks completely docile.

Tekken has a lot of ridiculous characters like Alisa, Lars, and Kuma, but all of them have competent, brutal attacks and at least seem like they can put up a fight. Even Xiaoyu is a convincing martial artist. On the other hand, Lucky Chloe is doing all sorts of flamboyant, pathetic backflips and breakdances and archetypically "girly" poses. Mind you, Lucky Chloe isn't doing anything Lili isn't doing, but what pushes it over the edge is that she's does all this...while wearing a fucking catsuit and a tutu.

She sticks out like a sore thumb against every other fighter in the game; she's so visually jarring here that I'd rather her be removed entirely, or at the very least, reskinned. I don't hate lolis or cute-as-a-button characters or what have you, but anything that looks like Lucky Chloe has no place in Tekken as far as I'm concerned.

Who cares? Don't play the goddamned character if you don't like her.

I'm not into her design (the cat paw gloves just ruins it for me) but outside of that I didn't have any problem with her. Why not? The last game featured a cyborg with an exploding head and chainsaw arms. Isn't there a wooden training dummy in Tekken? A panda?

Jesus. People need to stop taking this shit so seriously.

Bergerac

If anything, the problem with Tekken's roster is fucking dinosaurs, robots, bears, kangaroos and devils. Not people. No matter their dress sense. It would be awfully nice to have a fighting game which didn't have an element of the ludicrous for once.

Harada should just cancel tekken 7 and give the fans what we want, the true fighter: im@s vs love live

would buy/preorder/preload etc

Doukou

First I've heard about this character. I'm fine with zany characters but this type of character feels like it's been done to death.

Top Bottom