• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia Day 1 Edition (NA, EU), Collector's Edition (NA, EU) announced

jimi_dini

I believe the statue is sold separately for $65, so everything else in that edition is likely going to be made on a budget. The "Special music selection" will likely be a disc with wav files again. And the artbook will likely be one of around the size of the one in the Dark Souls: Prepare to Die edition.

Sure. But I personally would definitely not buy this edition for such a statue. I would feel embarassed to put it anywhere. Well, their fault. They should have included other things instead. Like for example the full OST or maybe a coffee table-sized artbook. We can only hope that they will be able to master an actual CD-DA this time and not do this WAVE file nonsense again.

Did the statue sell that well in Japan that it makes sense to do so?

Sure. But I personally would definitely not buy this edition for such a statue. I would feel embarassed to put it anywhere. Well, their fault. They should have included other things instead. Like for example the full OST or maybe a coffee table-sized artbook. We can only hope that they will be able to master an actual CD-DA this time and not do this WAVE file nonsense again.

No idea. But maybe they put in this CE because it sold badly and they have tons of them left? ;-)

I assume they've done some market research which pointed out that the average Western Tales fan would rather have a statue than an artbook? Personally I'm not a huge fan of the Tales art, but like you I did initially expect a decent artbook in this CE, and a decent soundtrack CD as well. Until I learned of the wave file disc. I just hadn't noticed that yet, and it sort of leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

RPGCrazied

The artbooks from Namco are usually pretty nice. I have the ToS and ToL one when they came out with their games as a bonus.

klee123

The statue which comes with the CE is actually different to the one sold in Japan.

I suspect Namco Bandai overestimated the initial high demand and then got more statues made.

chrono01

As mentioned above, the statue that's being included in the Collector's Edition was a prize from the Ichiban Kuji lottery. Essentially you purchase a ticket and you have the potential to win a prize from a group of items. This statue was one of the prizes that were available. Tickets were around 400 yen, I believe [around $5 USD/CDN]. As to what it's worth, it seems to range between 4000-5000 yen, which would be around $42-$52 USD/CDN.

The other statue you're referring to was released from Alter. That one, in addition to being much higher quality [although Ichiban Kuji items aren't bad, they're just not up to the quality of many other manufacturers] it was also sold through retail. It also sold for more [around $65 not including shipping fees], although you might be able to get it cheaper if you browse third-party sites [since the figure is now, obviously, out-of-print, so those sites are really the only place you're likely to find it, unless you live in Japan].

That particular statue was only a prize figure in Japan. It's honestly about a $5 statue.

Overpriced CE is overpriced.

So why is Gamestop listing an LE package for $60 with everything but the statue?

That's just the Day One set that Namco upgraded all first print copies with.

The CE set comes with everything the LE comes with expect a larger artbook (I think 100 pages vs. 50) and of course the statue.

To those who pre-ordered the European CE from the Talesof store, did your credit card get charged and did you get a confirmation mail for that? I got a mail saying they had difficulties processing my CC and they would try again in 2 days, I updated my CC info, 2 days have passed but I have yet to receive a confirmation or cancellation mail. Can I cancel this and make a new order?

Why is there a debate over whether the statue was a good idea or not? The CE is completely sold out, and was sold out in a pretty short amount of time. You think Namco cares at all about your insecurities? They don't, I assure you. The statue in the CE was a fine idea, hence why it sold out so quickly. They aren't missing anything by you not buying one. You can't get one unless you ebay it or amazon it for 227 bucks. (Assuming you haven't already pre-ordered it.)

RPGCrazied

The statue is cause literally every other CE in America comes with a statue. They were just following suit. I was going to get the CE but then canceled when they decided to say the CE isn't getting the DLC costumes. Then didn't say a word about that subject for weeks, so I went ahead an ordered the LE. Money saved!

Yeshua

Why is there a debate over whether the statue was a good idea or not? The CE is completely sold out, and was sold out in a pretty short amount of time. You think Namco cares at all about your insecurities? They don't, I assure you. The statue in the CE was a fine idea, hence why it sold out so quickly. They aren't missing anything by you not buying one. You can't get one unless you ebay it or amazon it for 227 bucks. (Assuming you haven't already pre-ordered it.)

In Europe it's not sold out at all. If I wished to pre-order it I still can, heck I'm pretty sure even after the release date it will still be available.

jimi_dini

You think Namco cares at all about your insecurities?

Insecurities? I'm a little bit too old to have animu statues of big breasted females standing around. Wait, I never liked such statues at all. Maybe I worded it badly, but it's not only about people seeing it, but I personally wouldn't want such a statue standing around. That's my personal taste.

Instead I got 2 Ghost In The Shell 2 LEs standing around.

If they would have included a proper artbook, I would have ordered it
and put the doll into the garbage

Also there was no debate. I just wrote my personal opinion and also asked if there was actually any reason why they did this.

You can't get one unless you ebay it or amazon it for 227 bucks. (Assuming you haven't already pre-ordered it.)

I don't think so:
https://store.talesofgame.com/

Still available for 100EUR.
Even if I would live in the US, I would simply ask a fellow GAFfer to order it for me. Lots of money saved.

I'd have paid more if they included the Alter figure of Milla, but I'm not at all dissapointed in the Banpresto figure aside from perhaps the pose. Regardless, having now seen pictures of the Collector's Edition set, I'm still happy with my purchase. I'll display it all proudly.

Might can my preorder. Not sure the extra $40 is worth it tbh :-/

I did the other day. Couldn't rationalize the extra $40 when the regular edition comes with a bunch of stuff now, too. Hardest decision I'll have is whether to play this or Dragon's Crown first.

Eusis

Hmm, the idea of canning the pre-order of the CE to get both Xillia AND Dragon's Crown is tempting.

But I wanted to see word on the manual, they went above and beyond for Ni no Kuni by also making the manual longer/in color and for a color inside cover, but he just left the game sealed rather than show that stuff off so I'd have no idea.

Usobuko

Banned
For $25 to $30, you can easily get 200-300 pages of an official art book. And the statue is worth like $5 according to the previous post. It might be good to flip if you are willing.

RPGCrazied

I bet the artbook is the same in the LE and CE. Heck the CD too, so all you are getting in the CE that the LE isn't getting is the statue. I bet you.

LiK

For $25 to $30, you can easily get 200-300 pages of an official art book. And the statue is worth like $5 according to the previous post. It might be good to flip if you are willing.

$5 is a bit of an exaggeration cuz prize figures typically sell for like $20-50 depending on import shops and rarity.

I'm sure people want the Alter figure included instead but that's a dream cuz Alter figures are expensive on their own.

Gartooth

Decided to go for the LE instead of the CE, so sick of statues in special editions of games where most the time they suck. If I really want a statue I would rather buy one separately where it would most likely be a higher quality anyway.

chrono01

The statue is worth more than $5. That was the price of a single Ichiban Kuji ticket in Japan. The figure was one of the prizes that were given out to you if you won. It's not as though the figure was sold for $5, you had to be lucky to win it for that price.

On Mandarake, a third-party figure site in Japan, it sells for around 3000-4000 yen [from what I've heard]. That's between $32-$42 USD/CDN.

Eusis

Namco is just not good with special editions apparently.
I actually like the little touches we saw there, and how they pushed overall packaging up for Ni no Kuni. But they definitely are poor at communicating this stuff.

Still, I swore I saw the character profile book being mentioned as 50 pages, so I'm assuming the artbook is basically that plus concept sketches, certainly looked like character profiles there anyway.

Seda

I actually like the little touches we saw there, and how they pushed overall packaging up for Ni no Kuni. But they definitely are poor at communicating this stuff.

Still, I swore I saw the character profile book being mentioned as 50 pages, so I'm assuming the artbook is basically that plus concept sketches, certainly looked like character profiles there anyway.

I was talking more the logistics of things like informing consumers of the contents and of course all the issues Ni No Kuni's Collector's edition had with overselling or whatever it was.

In the US, the LE was said to come with a "Character Profile Booklet" but with no mention of pages. I assume it's the same as the EU day 1.

RPGCrazied

The LE was suppose to get that, 50 pages character profile book. The CE was getting an 100 page artbook. What was shown in the video clearly isn't 100 pages.

Eusis

I was talking more the logistics of things like informing consumers of the contents and of course all the issues Ni No Kuni's Collector's edition had with overselling or whatever it was.

In the US, the LE was said to come with a "Character Profile Booklet" but with no mention of pages. I assume it's the same as the EU day 1.
Yeah, I assume it's the same as in Europe, but you're right that they're awful in the actual process of selling them even if the CEs themselves are of good quality.
The LE was suppose to get that, 50 pages character profile book. The CE was getting an 100 page artbook. What was shown in the video clearly isn't 100 pages.
Yeah, if it ends up the same I'll probably just cancel. Especially if it IS the same as a $40 statue, because that means I'd have to hope people go crazy for the CE factor.

LiK

i'm gonna laugh if they sent them the LE artbook instead of the 100 page one. i guess we'll know soon.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

Unless it's really 100 pages including the front and back using thin gloss paper then that could very well look like that.

I'd have paid more if they included the Alter figure of Milla, but I'm not at all dissapointed in the Banpresto figure aside from perhaps the pose. Regardless, having now seen pictures of the Collector's Edition set, I'm still happy with my purchase. I'll display it all proudly.
Well Banpresto is their subsidiary =/
Namco is just not good with special editions apparently.
What's more annoying is there actually some DLCs in Europe: "Exclusive PlayStation 3 theme and two Exclusive in-game character costumes - Cress's (Hero in Tales of Phantasia) Costume for Jude, and Stahn's (Hero in Tales of Destiny) Costume for Milla."
gm_widget_TalesOfXillia.jpg

Are only available at GAME =/ and those who order from their site (for the collector's edition) won't get it I mean why would they do that =S

Eusis

Yeah, look at many modern magazines, it looks about as thick as those and they're frequently 100 pages.

Though for a CE thicker, higher quality paper WOULD be nice...

Seda

What's more annoying is there actually some DLCs in Europe: "Exclusive PlayStation 3 theme and two Exclusive in-game character costumes - Cress's (Hero in Tales of Phantasia) Costume for Jude, and Stahn's (Hero in Tales of Destiny) Costume for Milla."
gm_widget_TalesOfXillia.jpg

Are only available at GAME =/ and those who order from their site (for the collector's edition) won't get it I mean why would they do that =S

When I go to their store I see:

mOcinMv.png

glz0nNl.png

Top Bottom