• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria Tokyo Game Show story trailer (+pre-order Mystic Artes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shouta

I watched that combat video, and yeah it seems like Mystic Artes (they ain't called Blast Calibers anymore?) are tied to individual gauges.

Also the player brought up the Artes screen, starting at 4:44. It seems there's 5 spots for Artes now (back, forward, left, right, neutral) as opposed to 4 spots (going off Graces f's scheme, forward/back, left, right, neutral). However the neutral spot has some Japanese text in blue bound in brackets whereas the others are in white text, so if someone could translate that that would be great (unless you guys have already talked about this). Also I think the other four tabs correspond to the four elemental kamui modes, so each different fusion has their own Artes configuration.

Alisha doesn't seem to have a kamui mode, at least her Artes screen doesn't show any extra configurable Artes tabs, but that just might be because of story reasons. If Alisha doesn't get them, Roze probably won't either.

Blue is their Hi-Ougi/Blast Caliber/Hi-Artes/Flavor of the month translation.

I preordered this yesterday or the day before but I hadn't looked at any media for it beyond the first set, lol. The gameplay video looks good and the setting looks interesting. It even has a combination idea I had imagined for an RPG story when I was in high school, too lol.

Should be fine. I really enjoyed X1/X2 so this should be good stuff. Nice graphics are a plus not the main draw so as long as they make it look pleasant, I'll be fine.

demidar

Blue is their Hi-Ougi/Blast Caliber/Hi-Artes/Flavor of the month translation.

I preordered this yesterday or the day before but I hadn't looked at any media for it beyond the first set, lol. The gameplay video looks good and the setting looks interesting. It even has a combination idea I had imagined for an RPG story when I was in high school, too lol.

Should be fine. I really enjoyed X1/X2 so this should be good stuff. Nice graphics are a plus not the main draw so as long as they make it look pleasant, I'll be fine.

Wait, so that means you can trigger your mystic arte just by pressing Neutral + X when you have enough meter? That seems a bit weird.

Is Sorey voiced by that dude that did Asbel? I catch phrases that sound exactly the same and expect MAOH ENGEKIHA upon hearing them.

Alicia seems to have alot of multi-disciplinary "forms" based off of length weapons' posibilities. Spear, Naginata, gymnastics, staff. OH that could be DAMN fun to play with.

Dude playing also needs to learn to tank in this game; it was a life-saving skill in Graces.

And it isn't like the random mess that his ToL work was, too!

Rhapsody

Banned
Is Sorey voiced by that dude that did Asbel? I catch phrases that sound exactly the same and expect MAOH ENGEKIHA upon hearing them.

Alicia seems to have alot of multi-disciplinary "forms" based off of length weapons' posibilities. Spear, Naginata, gymnastics, staff. OH that could be DAMN fun to play with.

Dude playing also needs to learn to tank in this game; it was a life-saving skill in Graces.

And it isn't like the random mess that his ToL work was, too!

No, the MC is voiced by Ryohei Kimura iirc. Asbel's is Takahiro Sakurai.

Tales usually don't reuse VAs. I think there was maybe one or two that did, but their roles were smaller previously.

Edit: Was too slow

TRI Mike

I saw these couple videos posted by RPGSite's Twitter, but they're apparently from Destructoid. It seems the zoomed-in crampled battles have been fixed. Looks nice.

matmanx1

I'll just echo what has already been said here several times. I miss Vesperia's cel shading and I wish it would come back. Xillia, Xillia 2 and now Zestria seem to have a "flatness" to them which I guess is because of the shaders, or lack thereof.

Even so, I like what I see of Zestria so far. Xillia was a snooze and I didn't buy Xillia 2 because of it (although I may pick it up on sale at some point). Zestria so far looks to have a nice looking overworld and the MC design is not bad.

demidar

I don't particularly care about the world, the characters and the story (though if they were good or passable that would be a plus) because that gameplay looks hot.

Rpgmonkey

Here's a bunch of stuff I've noticed or read about the demo, if anyone cares or hasn't read any of this before:

- Arte Trees from Graces are back. Like Graces it doesn't seem like you can alter the artes in the sequence?

- There are four elements: Fire, Water, Wind, Earth. There's also another symbol which I assume is non-elemental or something. Artes also have a secondary attribute, Sorey's Mueishou, for example, has the attribute "Amorphous". Not all artes appear to have an attribute, however.

- Some artes appear to be advanced versions of other artes, looking at their descriptions. So learning artes probably relates to that in some way.

- It looks like additional effects, such as stun or stat debuffs, can be added to artes.

- Artes have a usage count, and based on the gauge next to it that has five ranks, can improve as you use them.

- Discoveries, also in previous games like Rebirth and Graces, are back in this game.

- Mystic Artes, at least these basic level ones, consume 3 BG. L1 is to transform into or cancel your fusion, which uses 1 BG, R2 is for "Blast", which uses BG for whatever effects you've set/learned.

- Characters have support skills which are used while on the field. One of Mikleo's is "Treasure Sense", where he'll inform you of any nearby treasure chests. One of Alisha's is "Medicine Compounding", where she'll make items like life bottles. One of Edna's is "Snack Preparation", and she'll make various snack items for you to use. One of Dezel's is "Speed Drive", which gives you a temporary sped boost on the field after a battle. And one of Lilah's is "Physical Control", where she (anyone?) gradually recovers health when it's below 50%.

- There is something called Equipment Skill Level, but it's not something you can really toy with in the demo I think?

- Looking at the menu in one of the videos, it appears there's no option to make anyone else the screen avatar? Circle is for the character status, square is to swap Tenzoku, Triangle is to change your controlled character in battle, and X is to cancel. So assuming all the controls and functions are the same as the final game, it looks like the on screen character has to be Sorey (I haven't seen anyone move the cursor to Alisha to see if it's possible to at least switch to her though). To me the menu also looks like it's specifically designed for a max of six characters, two humans and four non-humans, so I have my doubts that you'll have all eight of the main characters in the party at once.

demidar

That reminds me, one of the things I love is that dialogue in battle now has subtitles. I was playing Xillia 2 and it sucked when I couldn't hear the dialogue because everyone's screaming their attacks.

MSMrRound

ByCJi4yCMAAarHg.jpg:large

Seems to be Alisha from the Ufotable pre-release anime OVA by Ufotable, shown at the Tales of Zestiria stage event.

Kind of reminds me of Elize. Somewhat.

Also from the stream, we're getting Evangelion cameo DLC (probably) costumes for some of the cast.

Slay as Shinji
Edna as Rei
Lailah as Misato
I think Alisia is Asuka and Rose is Mari maybe? I don't remember, lol

Ew. Less fanservice and more battle system info, please.

We have yet to get a trailer showing off the battle system. We got ones for both Graces and Xillia.

Dark_castle

I'm a sucker for Tales, so day one. Not extremely excited however, kinda tired of the same-y battle system, art style, music, character design and setting.

So using a blast stock refills the TP/CC bar, I noticed. Iconic.

And Slay has Jarei'issen and Senrouga.

EDIT: they keep cutting off Lailah's mystic arte. Both times it was shown the middle part is removed (you can tell from the hit counter).

Shojx

Also from the stream, we're getting Evangelion cameo DLC (probably) costumes for some of the cast.

Slay as Shinji
Edna as Rei
Lailah as Misato
I think Alisia is Asuka and Rose is Mari maybe? I don't remember, lol

ByCMcpSCUAEKqd2.jpg

HOLY SHIT.

(This is never gonna come over)

Don't tease me like this. ;(

Also, this would make Rose as Asuka and Alisha as Mari. I don't know if those five are all of them but Mikleo should totally get Kaworu.

sublimit

Banned
Another trailer shown off during the stage event. Contains mystic artes of the main 4 (Sorey, Alisha, Mikleo, Laliah)

Stage trailer

Holy crap those fields are HUGE!They give me vibes of a mix between Shadow of the Colossus environments and Xenoblade's which of course is great. I also like how the clouds are casting real time shadows as they move.

Pics_nao

Damn that was a nice trailer. So tempted to import now but I might as well as wait the extra 6 months. Not spoiling myself is gonna be so hard though ;-;

demidar

On three occasions during TGS he had to explain that in-game MA availability wouldn't be compromised by the pre-order MAs. I guessing the Japanese fanbase wasn't too happy about the news.

I really hope the Japanese fans hold his feet to the fire, because this shit would've just been in the game as a bonus and not cut out of the game in previous entries. Though they would probably pacified knowing that each character still has their own MA.

RalchAC

Holy crap those fields are HUGE!They give me vibes of a mix between Shadow of the Colossus environments and Xenoblade's which of course is great. I also like how the clouds are casting real time shadows as they move.

I see side steps and the aura system in Graces (when you were defending, the blue /green /red thing). Nice. Xillia 2 tried to have something similar but it didn't worked as well as it did in Graces. If it's a core feature instead of an skill it should work better.

Battle system looks good, I agree the camera would work better a little further from the character.

I like how there a different mechanics to avoid obstacles. Hopefully there will be some puzzles in there. I've missed them in Xillia 2.

demidar

I see side steps and the aura system in Graces (when you were defending, the blue /green /red thing). Nice. Xillia 2 tried to have something similar but it didn't worked as well as it did in Graces. If it's a core feature instead of an skill it should work better.

Battle system looks good, I agree the camera would work better a little further from the character.

I like how there a different mechanics to avoid obstacles. Hopefully there will be some puzzles in there. I've missed them in Xillia 2.

Yeah the power charge in Xillia 2 was way too slow (4.5 seconds to break Iron Stance? That's some boolsheet).

The next step with uneven battlefield terrain are bosses that can alter terrain themselves, like creating high walls or lifting up pillars or drenching the ground with fire/acid (which they sort of did in Graces f with the usurper king).

RalchAC

Yeah the power charge in Xillia 2 was way too slow (4.5 seconds to break Iron Stance? That's some boolsheet).

The next step with uneven battlefield terrain are bosses that can alter terrain themselves, like creating high walls or lifting up pillars or drenching the ground with fire/acid (which they sort of did in Graces f with the usurper king).

Yep, with some bosses like
Victor, Elle's father
it was annoying. When I finally got that stance he was far away from me. Not having Alvin in my party didn't help either.

That's a feature I really liked about Graces. Glad it's coming back.

The next step for me are Strategy Shortcuts though. I can't believe they haven't implemented them in the latest games. They were soooo confortable on Vesperia.

But yeah, altered terrains and some boss fights were movement and placement became an important factor could be cool.

I need this

Wow this was a much better trailer. Fields look great as does the battle gameplay. Still think the camera is too close.

Did Slay just use Jude's snap pivot.......day 0 if true.

For 1200Y it can be YOURS!

Yes indeed! I'm at 50% hype this can be played Gracefully from what we've seen, so we'll know once it's out. Need me some more of dat 150 hours of fightin' goodness again.

Rpgmonkey

Yep, with some bosses like
Victor, Elle's father
it was annoying. When I finally got that stance he was far away from me. Not having Alvin in my party didn't help either.

That's a feature I really liked about Graces. Glad it's coming back.

The next step for me are Strategy Shortcuts though. I can't believe they haven't implemented them in the latest games. They were soooo confortable on Vesperia.

But yeah, altered terrains and some boss fights were movement and placement became an important factor could be cool.

The game has something where you can issue commands with the right stick, and cancel/reset them by pressing R3. The description made it seem more like on-the-fly strategies than arte shortcuts, but maybe someone who's played the demo and noticed this feature can expand on this.

Sandfox

I really hope the Japanese fans hold his feet to the fire, because this shit would've just been in the game as a bonus and not cut out of the game in previous entries. Though they would probably pacified knowing that each character still has their own MA.

You could say the same thing about costumes because we're basically getting zero in-game now.

kiryogi

Banned
On three occasions during TGS he had to explain that in-game MA availability wouldn't be compromised by the pre-order MAs. I guessing the Japanese fanbase wasn't too happy about the news.

This is me right now, I'm really turned off that they're offering them as incentives, compromise or not. My opinion of the Tales series has really been going downhill drastically.

You could say the same thing about costumes because we're basically getting zero in-game now.

Yeah the costumes crap they pulled with Xillia was pretty BS, but the MA stuff, that's the draw that's breaking the camel's back over all this greed for me

I actually wouldn't mind if this game actually crashed and burned sales wise over there. Has any fan asked him about the costume thing? You look back in Abyss, and you had, over 8-10 options per character. How much awesome extra content is that? And a lot of required a good amount of effort(OMG PLAY VALUE) to get. Even Vesperia wasn't so bad, Graces was around 4-5? Then Xillia, 2. And that's to Milla, W T F.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom