• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tecmo X Red X Matrix DS RPG (Wind of Nostalgio)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Tenbatsu said:
I finally know who the artist is, its the same artist who did the art for Far East of Eden (天外魔境). Thanks to Insert Credit!

Awesome I fucking need this game now...

Seems pretty neat. I actually liked the remake of FF3 and while I prefered the SNES FF4, the DS remake was still commendable and good for those that wanted it. I'll keep an eye on this. The DS has become the only place I find myself playing JRPGs these days.

Arts looks good so adding this to my to-see list. I hope it's not an real time or strategy RPG. DS already has millions of those genre.

A Tecmo rep just mentioned in an interview with Gamasutra that they have no plans to bring this over to North America, but they might change their minds.

Tecmo seems to have some very strange ideas about the current state of the DS market in North America though. Reading some of their answers was a bit puzzling.

Here's a link to the interview:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21081

The Wind of Nostalgio question is at the very bottom.

Edit: XSEED says it's coming, see below.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Gunloc said:
A Tecmo rep just mentioned in an interview with Gamasutra that they have no plans to bring this over to North America, but they might change their minds. So, now is the time to start emailing.

Tecmo seems to have some very strange ideas about the current state of the DS market in North America though. Reading some of their answers was a bit puzzling.

Here's a link to the interview:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21081

The Wind of Nostalgio question is at the very bottom.

Have an email address to send them?

jesusraz

Hero of Legend said:
It's got to be Atlus.
Well, it seems Tecmo certainly isn't touching it:

Gamasutra: Something I'm just curious about is Matrix's DS RPG Nostalgeo no Kaze; are there any plans to put that out in America? Or is that still under revision? Or do you think it's not appropriate? Because it wasn't announced for the western market.

JI: Well, as far as if it's going to be published in North America or not, right now we have no plan. We reviewed the game, and we decided that it was not the right game to bring to North America. We might change our mind...

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
ManGod delivers Again !!!

Ignition and Tecmo Present NOSTALGIA for Nintendo DS

Glendale, CA – April 28, 2009 – Ignition Entertainment Ltd., a UTV Enterprise, a worldwide publisher and developer of videogames, and Tecmo, in conjunction with Matrix Software and Red Entertainment, invite gamers to takeoff on a nostalgic journey through time and space with Nostalgia for Nintendo DS™ - launching September 2009. Set in an alternate-reality version of 19th-century Earth, Nostalgia casts you as Eddie, a headstrong Londoner who amasses a group of memorable companions to traverse the world in his steampunk-inspired zeppelin. As you navigate the open skies, you’ll explore mysterious foreign locales, slay all manner of fantastical enemies, complete a variety of thrilling quests, and ultimately, save the world from unfathomable evil.

Developed by Matrix Software (Dragon Quest V PS2, Final Fantasy III-IV DS), in association with Red Entertainment (Gungrave, Bonk, Thousand Arms), Nostalgia brings together a powerful think-tank of old-school Japanese RPG development talent to present a stunning new vision in gaming. Produced by Keisuke Kikuchi (Fatal Frame, Tokobot) and directed by Naoki Morita (Sakura Taisen), with art direction by Yoshiteru Tsujino (Far East of Eden), airship design by Takuhito Kusanagi (Grandia, Blue Submarine No.6, Samurai 7), and enemy design by Keita Amemiya (Iria- Zeiram the Animation, Kamen Rider), Tecmo has amassed an all-star dream team of industry veterans to forge a brand new DS adventure that hearkens back to the classic glory days of Japanese role-playing games.

According to Nostalgia producer, Keisuke Kikuchi, “I knew this game had such potential when I saw Mr. Morita’s project book. It is an adventure game set in another Earth, offering an enjoyable story that involves various different cultures in many diverse locations. The key element that brings the game together is the airship, the conveyance which fits its game system and world-view. I wanted to make this idea into a product for everyone to play.”

“We feel deeply honored for the opportunity to bring Tecmo’s esteemed Japanese Nintendo DS role-playing game “Nostalgeo no Kaze” to an entirely new audience as Nostalgia,” said Shane Bettenhausen, New Business Development Director of Ignition Entertainment. “Amid a sea of remakes and rehashes, this endearing adventure blazes its own unique path with deeply engrossing gameplay systems, but it also hearkens back to the classic RPGs of yesteryear with its unforgettable characters and universal narrative themes.”

Key Game Features:

• Ambitious, fully 3D polygonal graphical engine offers dramatic, sweeping camera angles and impressive vistas rarely seen in a DS title.

• Cohesive, anime-inspired art direction that effectively captures the game’s turn-of-the-century charm.

• Travel to incredibly unique, non-traditional RPG locales via airship including London, New York, Cairo, Africa, and Russia.

• Features two distinct combat engines: One is a brisk, turn-based close-quarters melee between your party members and monsters; while the other offers thrilling, large-scale airship battles. In addition, your battle skills are scored at the conclusion of each conflict, inspiring strategic mastery.

• Handy in-game notebook feature keeps track of people, monsters, airships and items you’ve run across.

• Plenty of user-defined customization, allowing the player to trick out his or her airship with various weapons, armor types, and special skill attacks. The player can also choose character-specific skills from a branching tree for a more personalized experience.

• Explore a variety of diverse, engaging dungeons that include brain bending puzzles and tricky Indiana Jones-style traps.

• Optional quest system inspires players to approach the adventure from a less linear perspective, extending the life of the gameplay experience.

For more information, visit www.nostalgiads.com

PR email

Hive

Banned
cw_sasuke said:
ManGod delivers Again !!!

wow, that's such great news!

I'm really surprised this was picked up, to be honest, and it gives me a little hope for something like Soma Bringer down the line~

thx sasuke! ^^

Hive said:
wow, that's such great news!

I'm really surprised this was picked up, to be honest, and it gives me a little hope for something like Soma Bringer down the line~

thx sasuke! ^^

i had almost forgot about this game. glad to see that it is coming out in NA

ivysaur12

Banned
Hmm... well, we'll see how they do with their localization with Muramasa. Didn't they mess up the distribution of Away: Shuffle Dungeon as well?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
ivysaur12 said:
Hmm... well, we'll see how they do with their localization with Muramasa. Didn't they mess up the distribution of Away: Shuffle Dungeon as well?
Away was a Majesco release.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
jj984jj said:
Away was a Majesco release.

Also I wouldn't blame small publishers for having a hard time with distribution in the middle of an unprecedented cutback of retail purchasing and space availability for small publishers :p

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
this game looks super bad ass... my posts in the infinite space thread betray my love of customizing an air/space ship with crew+parts and exploring. but the fact that i can explore turn of the century new york AND cairo?

hell yea

Tiktaalik

MANGOD you know what you must do

2iapocx.jpg

I know you're reading this.

Ignition indeed! Really glad to see this coming, looks like we can add Ignition to the exclusive bunch of niche publishers that bring us niche goodness. Oh, and make a new thread come on, good news are really thread-worthy on their own.

Hive

Banned
the last game I think I bought of theirs, was Tornado for DS. O_O;

Needless to say, I took it back, and it's the only DS game purchase I've regretted~

But I think Ignition games are in good hands, since GAF seems to think so!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Great news, I was looking forward to this one... I love airship-based RPGs, not to mention the Tengai Makyo series. Also Matrix seems to be one of the best at pushing the DS's technology.

Was Away Shuffle Dungeon ever released in America? I don't remember ever seeing it in stores or hear people talking about its release.

Aeana

Aru said:
W00t :D
So it's a NA release or NA/EU ?

And by the way, I thought that DQ5 PS2 was made by Arte Piazza, not Matrix o_O
Arte Piazza is an art studio. They've done very little development. Even the coding on the DS Dragon Quest remakes is done primarily by TOSE.

Yazus

Matrix has already proved good developers, and the art style is good but there is nothing more than the Airship battles that keep me intrested...

Aru

Aeana said:
Arte Piazza is an art studio. They've done very little development. Even the coding on the DS Dragon Quest remakes is done primarily by TOSE.

Thanks for the info.

Emotions

Aru said:
I wish that game could come over here but it bombed so hard in Japan, I have little hope :/

A lot of games have bombed in Japan and they still come over. This game has a lot of possibilties of coming over as well. XSeed localized all the latest Media Vision RPG's and these are from them. There could be chances of Atlus or Ignition picking it up as well. There's no brainer afterall there isn't that many DS RPG's that don't get brought over here. Except for the Nintendo,Sega,S-E and Scamco stuff that 3rd parties publishers can't get unless it's published by their same companies.

jj984jj

Aeana said:
TOSE was involved as well? They got 3 developers to do coding? o_O

So earlier in this thread a bunch of people were like "This game + Avalon Code!!!" and now no one's talking about Avalon Code anymore. Did everyone just forget about it once it was released over here or something? Should we continue to expect this game to turn out well based on how Avalon Code turned out?

Aeana

jj984jj said:
TOSE was involved as well? They got 3 developers to do coding? o_O
3? It's honestly the same situation as DQ6, DQ3r, DQ7, DQ4r and DQ5 PS2... someone handling coding, and Arte Piazza doing the artwork.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
cooljeanius said:
So earlier in this thread a bunch of people were like "This game + Avalon Code!!!" and now no one's talking about Avalon Code anymore. Did everyone just forget about it once it was released over here or something? Should we continue to expect this game to turn out well based on how Avalon Code turned out?

I like what I've played of Avalon Code so far, but it definitely got lost in the shuffle of other amazing recent portable releases. I don't imagine that it did well at all, and I've no doubt that much of GAF passed it by.

jj984jj

Aeana said:
3? It's honestly the same situation as DQ6, DQ3r, DQ7, DQ4r and DQ5 PS2... someone handling coding, and Arte Piazza doing the artwork.
Well I remember you confirmed Matrix, then Cattle Call added DQIV DS to the bottom of their website for games they were partially involved with so I checked the credits and it did have people from both companies responsible for the programming, and... you just said TOSE people were involved too? Did they just do sound programming like they have on many DQ games?

Aeana

jj984jj said:
Well I remember you confirmed Matrix, then Cattle Call added DQIV DS to the bottom of their website for games they were partially involved with so I checked the credits and it did have people from both companies responsible for the programming, and... you just said TOSE people were involved too? Did they just do sound programming like they have on many DQ games?
Ohhhh, you're right, I'm sorry. For some reason, I had it in my head that it was TOSE, but no, it was people from Matrix. I had forgotten.

jj984jj

Aeana said:
Ohhhh, you're right, I'm sorry. For some reason, I had it in my head that it was TOSE, but no, it was people from Matrix. I had forgotten.
Oh ok, I was confused for a moment there. :lol

So just Matrix and Cattle Call then. :)

Llyranor

Was it ever established if this game was actually good? I don't remember anything much happening on the jp GAF front for this.

Top Bottom